Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Justathought » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 am

Establishing residency is very hard to do at Temple. You're supposed to demonstrate that you have been in PA for at least one year for reasons unrelated to education. This is not a law school policy, but rather a University policy. You can appeal your out of state status after the first year, but it involves a lengthy process and sitting in front of some type of residency committee.

I think you may have a slight chance to gain residency if you can show them that you intend to stay in PA after graduation. This will require more than getting a PA driver's license. Perhaps having a desirable job in Philly after graduation or owning a piece of real estate.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I don't know for sure, but buying property in PA may help?

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:06 am

loblaw016 wrote:anyone else apply for the Ingerman or Rubin-Presser scholarships?

B986

Postby B986 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:22 am

Sending in my deposit today! Does anyone know whom to make the check out to?

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 am

B986 wrote:Sending in my deposit today! Does anyone know whom to make the check out to?

I actually called earlier this week and they said make the check out to Temple University.

B986

Postby B986 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:56 am

LAFish wrote:
B986 wrote:Sending in my deposit today! Does anyone know whom to make the check out to?

I actually called earlier this week and they said make the check out to Temple University.

Thanks!

robocall12

Postby robocall12 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 am

B986 wrote:
LAFish wrote:

Thanks!

When I called they told me to make the check out to a guy named Rick Santorum.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:31 pm

has anyone gotten mailings from the school after sending deposits? i got confirmation emails but no info about like logging into tuportal or anything like that. i did figure out how to activate my tu account but i'm worried that i missed a mailing or something

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 pm

loblaw016 wrote:has anyone gotten mailings from the school after sending deposits? i got confirmation emails but no info about like logging into tuportal or anything like that. i did figure out how to activate my tu account but i'm worried that i missed a mailing or something

loblaw, I feel like we're the only people going to Temple this year on TLS. lol.

But yeah, I just received the seat deposit confirmation email. I actually didn't even know about TU portal until you mentioned it and I don't have any idea on how to activate it. I think they're probably just waiting until after the first seat deposit is due to send instructions...I hope at least.

But anyway, have you found a place to live yet? At first I thought about living in Fairmount/Art Museum but the places don't look very nice and they're pretty expensive so I started looking in Center City/Rittenhouse. I think I'm driving to Philly during the weekend to check out some places.

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:22 pm

I've gotten confirmation stuff too for both of the deposits, and haven't gotten anything about the TU portal either, but why do you want it now, we've got like 4 months don't worry about it yet haha.

I looked at art museum/fairmount and I didn't like the area too much. Rittenhouse is super nice but its pretty expensive from what I can tell. I think im going to end up living in Manayunk. Its nice out there if you go walk around, and im not too worried about the train.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 pm

LAFish wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:has anyone gotten mailings from the school after sending deposits? i got confirmation emails but no info about like logging into tuportal or anything like that. i did figure out how to activate my tu account but i'm worried that i missed a mailing or something

loblaw, I feel like we're the only people going to Temple this year on TLS. lol.

But yeah, I just received the seat deposit confirmation email. I actually didn't even know about TU portal until you mentioned it and I don't have any idea on how to activate it. I think they're probably just waiting until after the first seat deposit is due to send instructions...I hope at least.

But anyway, have you found a place to live yet? At first I thought about living in Fairmount/Art Museum but the places don't look very nice and they're pretty expensive so I started looking in Center City/Rittenhouse. I think I'm driving to Philly during the weekend to check out some places.

haha, yeah i was just curious. i found my tuid number on one of the financial aid mailings and was able to log on that way. got into my temple email too and there were like 20 messages, only 2 seemed like things i would actually want to know about now (housing and finaid). i spent this past weekend looking for apartments but haven't settled on anything yet. i like some areas just south of fairmount, also rittenhouse & washington square so hopefully i can find a place around one of those areas.

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Every time I think I found a reasonably priced place at a decent location the reviews on apartmentreviews.com say stuff like "do not live here!" It's pretty frustrating... I really want to find a place near or on the Broad street line but damn it's pretty hard.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 pm

LAFish wrote:Every time I think I found a reasonably priced place at a decent location the reviews on apartmentreviews.com say stuff like "do not live here!" It's pretty frustrating... I really want to find a place near or on the Broad street line but damn it's pretty hard.

i walked from fairmount around the eastern state penitentiary down like diagonally to pine street on the east side of broad. there are definitely some good neighborhoods within walking distance to the broad street line. i think generally people say the further south of temple the better, i think things start looking nicer/safer around fairmount/mt. vernon street

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:18 pm

loblaw016 wrote:
LAFish wrote:Every time I think I found a reasonably priced place at a decent location the reviews on apartmentreviews.com say stuff like "do not live here!" It's pretty frustrating... I really want to find a place near or on the Broad street line but damn it's pretty hard.

i walked from fairmount around the eastern state penitentiary down like diagonally to pine street on the east side of broad. there are definitely some good neighborhoods within walking distance to the broad street line. i think generally people say the further south of temple the better, i think things start looking nicer/safer around fairmount/mt. vernon street

i agree with what loblaw said that there are definitely nice places around there. south philly has some pretty nice places too, at least at first appearance when i was walking around on thursday

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:43 pm

sumtimesuwonder wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:

i agree with what loblaw said that there are definitely nice places around there. south philly has some pretty nice places too, at least at first appearance when i was walking around on thursday

Are you guys living alone or with roommates? Been debating myself.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 am

LAFish wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:

Are you guys living alone or with roommates? Been debating myself.

I'm living with 2 other people who i also went to undergrad with. definitely cuts down on the costs, but we've had a hard time trying to find 3 bedroom places

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:10 pm

It looks like ill be getting a roommate at this point. 500-650 in rent sounds much better than 750-1000.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Is anyone going to use the roommate form thing they sent. I would be looking for roommates but i'm not sure if people are actually using that.

SlimShadyMcCoy

Postby SlimShadyMcCoy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Is anyone currently on Temple's waitlist? I didn't have time to read through all 12 pages of posts, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has heard any news on waitlist prospects. Basically looking to find out if the adcomm has started reviewing waitlisted applicants, what the stats are of people getting in from the waitlist, etc. I was also thinking about starting a new thread titled "Temple Waitlist" but I wanted to check in here first. Anyone have any info?

mt1042

Postby mt1042 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 pm

SlimShadyMcCoy wrote:Is anyone currently on Temple's waitlist? I didn't have time to read through all 12 pages of posts, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has heard any news on waitlist prospects. Basically looking to find out if the adcomm has started reviewing waitlisted applicants, what the stats are of people getting in from the waitlist, etc. I was also thinking about starting a new thread titled "Temple Waitlist" but I wanted to check in here first. Anyone have any info?

Rising 2L at Temple. I don't know anything about this year's waitlist, but a buddy of mine got accepted off of last year's 2 days before orientation began. :) He's now interning w/ a judge in the CTA. There is always hope.

SlimShadyMcCoy

Postby SlimShadyMcCoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:01 am

mt1042 wrote:
SlimShadyMcCoy wrote:Is anyone currently on Temple's waitlist? I didn't have time to read through all 12 pages of posts, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has heard any news on waitlist prospects. Basically looking to find out if the adcomm has started reviewing waitlisted applicants, what the stats are of people getting in from the waitlist, etc. I was also thinking about starting a new thread titled "Temple Waitlist" but I wanted to check in here first. Anyone have any info?

Rising 2L at Temple. I don't know anything about this year's waitlist, but a buddy of mine got accepted off of last year's 2 days before orientation began. :) He's now interning w/ a judge in the CTA. There is always hope.

mt1042 - Do you know what your buddy's LSAT and GPA stats were? I realize that there's often more to it than LSAT/GPA that will get someone off of a waitlist, but I can't help but wonder.

mt1042

Postby mt1042 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 pm

SlimShadyMcCoy wrote:mt1042 - Do you know what your buddy's LSAT and GPA stats were? I realize that there's often more to it than LSAT/GPA that will get someone off of a waitlist, but I can't help but wonder.

I'm afraid I don't know what his scores were. You'll find that no one gives a rat's ass about the LSAT or how you did in college once you get into school. I know he did graduate w/ distinction from a very well respected school and had quite a bit of work experience.

My unsolicited and uninformed advice. Keep calling Temple (without being annoying) and let them know you want to go there. If you are in the medians or at least close to them then you have a shot.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:03 pm

mt1042 wrote:
SlimShadyMcCoy wrote:mt1042 - Do you know what your buddy's LSAT and GPA stats were? I realize that there's often more to it than LSAT/GPA that will get someone off of a waitlist, but I can't help but wonder.

I'm afraid I don't know what his scores were. You'll find that no one gives a rat's ass about the LSAT or how you did in college once you get into school. I know he did graduate w/ distinction from a very well respected school and had quite a bit of work experience.

My unsolicited and uninformed advice. Keep calling Temple (without being annoying) and let them know you want to go there. If you are in the medians or at least close to them then you have a shot.

LOCI FTW!

SlimShadyMcCoy

Postby SlimShadyMcCoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:30 pm

x7227 wrote:
mt1042 wrote:

LOCI FTW!

I'm right at the 25% mark for LSAT and GPA when you combine full-time and part time-applicants, so hopefully there's more to the waitlist than just these two criteria. I sent an LOCI a week after being waitlisted, and it was pretty detailed with solid reasons for wanting to attend Temple. Thanks a lot for the advice...hopefully things turn out positively.

rdshore

Postby rdshore » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 am

Withdrew with $$$ today. Sad to do it but I received a great job offer this week and will be taking another year off.

Best of luck to those still waiting. Hopefully my spot and money will go to one of you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”