Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
SarahT
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby SarahT » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Withdrew today. Hopefully someone else will see my $$. Good luck to all of you!

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby grovevilleroad » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
zor wrote:Has anyone had success negotiating aid? This is definitely my weakest offer so far ($35k from both Cardozo and Brooklyn, $7.5k from Temple) but it's among my top choices. I see other people have been getting disappointing offers, too, so surely someone has tried negotiation?

I was going to wait to hear about aid offers from some higher ranked schools before negotiating, unless people had some great success stories.

1st complete 12/19, 2nd complete 1/21, admitted 1/23 with scholly offer in the mail about a week later.


They asked me to write a one to two page essay on why i want to attend Temple and what I will bring to the Temple community to raise my scholly from 3750 a year to 12500 a year...I am going to write it but i have full tuition offers from Villanova, Cardozo, and Washington and Lee so I don't know hopw much I would be willing to pay for Temple


I got the same option with the same scholly numbers.

missjessica
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby missjessica » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:49 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:
zor wrote:Has anyone had success negotiating aid? This is definitely my weakest offer so far ($35k from both Cardozo and Brooklyn, $7.5k from Temple) but it's among my top choices. I see other people have been getting disappointing offers, too, so surely someone has tried negotiation?

I was going to wait to hear about aid offers from some higher ranked schools before negotiating, unless people had some great success stories.

1st complete 12/19, 2nd complete 1/21, admitted 1/23 with scholly offer in the mail about a week later.


They asked me to write a one to two page essay on why i want to attend Temple and what I will bring to the Temple community to raise my scholly from 3750 a year to 12500 a year...I am going to write it but i have full tuition offers from Villanova, Cardozo, and Washington and Lee so I don't know hopw much I would be willing to pay for Temple


I got the same option with the same scholly numbers.


I also got 3750 a year from Temple and I'm in-state. I've got some serious scholarship offers to leverage against it, most notably 30K at Drexel. That makes Drexel about 10K cheaper than Temple. My question is, did you call them or write them a letter or what? This'll be my first attempt at scholarship negotiation. Any advice would be majorly appreciated!

User avatar
sumtimesuwonder
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm

I also got 3750 a year from Temple and I'm in-state. I've got some serious scholarship offers to leverage against it, most notably 30K at Drexel. That makes Drexel about 10K cheaper than Temple. My question is, did you call them or write them a letter or what? This'll be my first attempt at scholarship negotiation. Any advice would be majorly appreciated!


Idk if the Drexel offer is really going to help you out too much, considering theyre reputation isn't exactly on the same level as Temple. There would be no hurt in trying. In all of the negotiations I have attempted I have written emails, and I've been fairly successful. Do you have offers from schools that are peer schools?

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby srfngdd6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm

missjessica wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:
zor wrote:Has anyone had success negotiating aid? This is definitely my weakest offer so far ($35k from both Cardozo and Brooklyn, $7.5k from Temple) but it's among my top choices. I see other people have been getting disappointing offers, too, so surely someone has tried negotiation?

I was going to wait to hear about aid offers from some higher ranked schools before negotiating, unless people had some great success stories.

1st complete 12/19, 2nd complete 1/21, admitted 1/23 with scholly offer in the mail about a week later.


They asked me to write a one to two page essay on why i want to attend Temple and what I will bring to the Temple community to raise my scholly from 3750 a year to 12500 a year...I am going to write it but i have full tuition offers from Villanova, Cardozo, and Washington and Lee so I don't know hopw much I would be willing to pay for Temple


I got the same option with the same scholly numbers.


I also got 3750 a year from Temple and I'm in-state. I've got some serious scholarship offers to leverage against it, most notably 30K at Drexel. That makes Drexel about 10K cheaper than Temple. My question is, did you call them or write them a letter or what? This'll be my first attempt at scholarship negotiation. Any advice would be majorly appreciated!



e mailed them i also had the 30k from drexel didnt even mention them in the e mail dont think temple would consider itself on the same level

missjessica
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby missjessica » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:38 am

sumtimesuwonder wrote:
I also got 3750 a year from Temple and I'm in-state. I've got some serious scholarship offers to leverage against it, most notably 30K at Drexel. That makes Drexel about 10K cheaper than Temple. My question is, did you call them or write them a letter or what? This'll be my first attempt at scholarship negotiation. Any advice would be majorly appreciated!


Idk if the Drexel offer is really going to help you out too much, considering theyre reputation isn't exactly on the same level as Temple. There would be no hurt in trying. In all of the negotiations I have attempted I have written emails, and I've been fairly successful. Do you have offers from schools that are peer schools?


I guess I do, I have a scholarship offer from Catholic U. With that scholarship though, it's still more expensive than Temple in-state. I assumed that Drexel would be better leverage because it's in the same city and would be cheaper for me.

User avatar
Frm312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Frm312 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 am

srfngdd6 wrote:
zor wrote:Has anyone had success negotiating aid? This is definitely my weakest offer so far ($35k from both Cardozo and Brooklyn, $7.5k from Temple) but it's among my top choices. I see other people have been getting disappointing offers, too, so surely someone has tried negotiation?

I was going to wait to hear about aid offers from some higher ranked schools before negotiating, unless people had some great success stories.

1st complete 12/19, 2nd complete 1/21, admitted 1/23 with scholly offer in the mail about a week later.


They asked me to write a one to two page essay on why i want to attend Temple and what I will bring to the Temple community to raise my scholly from 3750 a year to 12500 a year...I am going to write it but i have full tuition offers from Villanova, Cardozo, and Washington and Lee so I don't know hopw much I would be willing to pay for Temple


Do you think you could post/pm me the email you sent into to temple? It could be pretty helpful.

Thanks

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Frm312 wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:
zor wrote:Has anyone had success negotiating aid? This is definitely my weakest offer so far ($35k from both Cardozo and Brooklyn, $7.5k from Temple) but it's among my top choices. I see other people have been getting disappointing offers, too, so surely someone has tried negotiation?

I was going to wait to hear about aid offers from some higher ranked schools before negotiating, unless people had some great success stories.

1st complete 12/19, 2nd complete 1/21, admitted 1/23 with scholly offer in the mail about a week later.


They asked me to write a one to two page essay on why i want to attend Temple and what I will bring to the Temple community to raise my scholly from 3750 a year to 12500 a year...I am going to write it but i have full tuition offers from Villanova, Cardozo, and Washington and Lee so I don't know hopw much I would be willing to pay for Temple


Do you think you could post/pm me the email you sent into to temple? It could be pretty helpful.

Thanks


I basically thanked them fro my acceptence and said i was honored to be awarded any scholarship money at all listed the reasons i wanted to attend Temple but also let them know that financial considerations would play a large part in my decision.

User avatar
HankBeech
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby HankBeech » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Got 10K a year today in the mail.

jsvaughn
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby jsvaughn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 pm

got no money so i tried to negotiate with them using 10k from both alabama and indiana

...and was denied

User avatar
Frm312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Frm312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Just got my admit packet in the mail. $3,750/yr (I'm in-state) with a top 1/2 stip.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Admissions packet in the mail today. No scholarship.

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby superbloom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

Accepted via status checker.

Applied 2/2

User avatar
patpa
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby patpa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 am

Does the status checker switch directly from complete to a decision? I've been complete since 1/19 so it should be soon!

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby superbloom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 am

patpa wrote:Does the status checker switch directly from complete to a decision? I've been complete since 1/19 so it should be soon!


I went complete on 2/2, then the status changed on Monday. I was still 'Complete' until the status checker updated this morning to admitted. I would think that the status date updating is an indicator that your decision is coming soon.

User avatar
patpa
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby patpa » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 am

annnnnnnnddddddd.... waitlisted. That's pretty unexpected since my numbers are the medians. Guess I'll deposit at 'Nova and see if temple decides to let me in after all! Best of luck everyone.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby 2LT_CPG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 am

Rejected, as expected. Good luck to everyone else!

Lillyp
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Lillyp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey! So I got into Temple and I'm pretty excited about it...except for the "paying for it" part, that is.

I got my package in the mail today and was offered 3750 per year, top half stip. Is it worth it to contact them for potentially more $? If so, should it be via e-mail or phone?

My numbers are a 163/3.65 UG, with a 4.0 from Penn for my Ed master's. Soft factors include TFA, first generation college kid. I have some offers from schools (Penn state, Washington and Lee, Drexel, URichmond) upwards of 20k per year but obviously they're more expensive. Should I mention any of these?

I'm also in at Nova and waiting to hear about aid...

Any advice you guys could offer would be great - I applied late in the cycle but I really want to go to Temple!

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby grovevilleroad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Lillyp wrote:Hey! So I got into Temple and I'm pretty excited about it...except for the "paying for it" part, that is.

I got my package in the mail today and was offered 3750 per year, top half stip. Is it worth it to contact them for potentially more $? If so, should it be via e-mail or phone?

My numbers are a 163/3.65 UG, with a 4.0 from Penn for my Ed master's. Soft factors include TFA, first generation college kid. I have some offers from schools (Penn state, Washington and Lee, Drexel, URichmond) upwards of 20k per year but obviously they're more expensive. Should I mention any of these?

I'm also in at Nova and waiting to hear about aid...

Any advice you guys could offer would be great - I applied late in the cycle but I really want to go to Temple!


We talked about additional scholarship a page or two back, check it out and see if anything is helpful.

Lillyp
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Lillyp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:
Lillyp wrote:Hey! So I got into Temple and I'm pretty excited about it...except for the "paying for it" part, that is.

I got my package in the mail today and was offered 3750 per year, top half stip. Is it worth it to contact them for potentially more $? If so, should it be via e-mail or phone?

My numbers are a 163/3.65 UG, with a 4.0 from Penn for my Ed master's. Soft factors include TFA, first generation college kid. I have some offers from schools (Penn state, Washington and Lee, Drexel, URichmond) upwards of 20k per year but obviously they're more expensive. Should I mention any of these?

I'm also in at Nova and waiting to hear about aid...

Any advice you guys could offer would be great - I applied late in the cycle but I really want to go to Temple!


Thanks, I just didn't know if anyone knew of anything that should be done differently because it's latein the cycle, like whether to call vs. email. Also, one thing I couldn't find - what's the average turn around time when you write an email?

We talked about additional scholarship a page or two back, check it out and see if anything is helpful.

Dead Parrot
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Dead Parrot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:52 pm

Well, I finally got my first waitlist of the cycle. It is kind of perplexing though considering I got a pretty decent scholarship offer from Penn State.

grovevilleroad
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby grovevilleroad » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Lillyp wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:
Lillyp wrote:Hey! So I got into Temple and I'm pretty excited about it...except for the "paying for it" part, that is.

I got my package in the mail today and was offered 3750 per year, top half stip. Is it worth it to contact them for potentially more $? If so, should it be via e-mail or phone?

My numbers are a 163/3.65 UG, with a 4.0 from Penn for my Ed master's. Soft factors include TFA, first generation college kid. I have some offers from schools (Penn state, Washington and Lee, Drexel, URichmond) upwards of 20k per year but obviously they're more expensive. Should I mention any of these?

I'm also in at Nova and waiting to hear about aid...

Any advice you guys could offer would be great - I applied late in the cycle but I really want to go to Temple!



We talked about additional scholarship a page or two back, check it out and see if anything is helpful.


Thanks, I just didn't know if anyone knew of anything that should be done differently because it's latein the cycle, like whether to call vs. email. Also, one thing I couldn't find - what's the average turn around time when you write an email?


Calling or e-mail will both work fine. The only issue I think you will have is that our requests were responded with write an essay and maybe you will get more money and the essay due date was on the 17th I believe. When I wrote Temple, she got back to me the same day and let me know that she would look into it. The next week she let me know what her decision was.

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby superbloom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Packet came in the mail today. 7.5k with the top half stip. I wouldve had to think hard about it if I weren't out of state.

User avatar
loblaw016
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby loblaw016 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Anyone have an idea of what the open house on the 17th will be like?

User avatar
sumtimesuwonder
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Anyone going to admitted student days tomorrow?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”