Seton Hall 2011-12 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreambig

New

Re: Seton Hall 2011-12 Cycle

Post by dreambig » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Just got my $25k/yr offer in the mail today. Still does not do much to chip away at the expensive $45k tuition and high cost of living. Has anyone had much luck negotiating?

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:33 am

dreambig wrote:Just got my $25k/yr offer in the mail today. Still does not do much to chip away at the expensive $45k tuition and high cost of living. Has anyone had much luck negotiating?
I tried, but failed. Admittedly, I don't have much to stand on with my numbers and lack of better offers. I basically just said that UConn's in-state tuition is hard to turn down, but they responded that there are other reasons why you would choose a school like Seton Hall over UConn besides money (i.e. better resources, location and proximity to NYC, the health of the NJ/NY legal market vs. the CT legal market etc.). I probably didn't play the negotiation very well, but honestly I don't think I would be giving me more money if I were in their shoes either so I didn't want to push too hard or get too greedy as it would start me off on bad terms with a school I might end up going to.

If you have better offers from better ranked schools, I'm sure that could help. They did mention that they do award further scholarship money later on to deserving candidates and I'm sure that once more people turn down their scholarship offers, more money will be available (I'm hoping a few of my waitlists come through so I can have more bargaining power when and if more money is available).

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:05 am

I'm declining admission, so another spot should be available. Good luck to everyone!

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 am

ITT, I am a one man party. Is there seriously anyone else going to Seton Hall?

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 pm

iceicebaby wrote:ITT, I am a one man party. Is there seriously anyone else going to Seton Hall?
No! You are not alone. I don't know why ppl give Seton Hall such a bad rap on TLS, I guess it's because their reading the outdated and misinformed TLS review on Seton Hall law. PPl should read authentic objective reviews and stop regertating crap on blogs about Seton Hall. Seton hall beats out many other law schools in many different aspects. For one, people think Seton Hall is way too expensive, but it's a private school, so go figure. Desite the price tag, it's still way cheaper than other private schools. Seton Hall is also ranked 7th in 2011 for offering almost 60% of its students with grants. Seton Hall lags way..way behind other schools when it come to debt incurred after graduation, beating out similarly situated schools like Hofstra, St. Johns, Howard, Brooklyn, Syracuse, cardoz, NYLS and others. When it comes to employment, Seton hall is listed by NLJ as the top 50 best law schools for big law. With a higher percentage of grads going to the top 250 firms, Seton Hall beats out schools like Cardoz, Brooklyn (didn't make the list), Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, Washington and lee, and yea rutgers too. Work hard, network, get good grades, and law school can be very rewarding. Slack off, do poorly, and finding a good job can be hard for any law grad,no matter what school you attended. I know this first hand cause I work in recruitment for one of the largest firms in NYC, and we reject many Harvard, Columbia, and NYU kids because of poor performance in LS. How well you interview, activities you had in LS, and grades will always determine if you get the job, not usually what school you attended.

Sources: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+2

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... e-rankings

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

allmodcons

New

Post by allmodcons » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ziiish

New

Post by Ziiish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 pm

I think the reason they have a bad rep is because they send out emails like this:
There is still time to become a part of Seton Hall Law community next year. We wanted to reach out to you to let you know that we are still accepting applications for the incoming class of 2012 and scholarship funding is still available. If you have any questions about Seton Hall Law or want to discuss the application process, please feel free to reach out to us or anyone else in the Office of Admissions, or visit us online at law.shu.edu/admissions.

I got that email today.

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Ziiish wrote:I think the reason they have a bad rep is because they send out emails like this:
There is still time to become a part of Seton Hall Law community next year. We wanted to reach out to you to let you know that we are still accepting applications for the incoming class of 2012 and scholarship funding is still available. If you have any questions about Seton Hall Law or want to discuss the application process, please feel free to reach out to us or anyone else in the Office of Admissions, or visit us online at law.shu.edu/admissions.

I got that email today.
I've gotten that e-mail from many different schools... doesn't really mean much other than this year's applicant pool is generally much less numerous and class sizes will probably be smaller than the past few.

Good to know scholarship funding is still available, maybe I can get them to up mine.

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Ziiish wrote:I think the reason they have a bad rep is because they send out emails like this:

I got that email today.
I got similar emails like this from Georgia State, Case Western, and MSU. I know many others do it. Applications have been down this cycle for many schools, this prob why we see such emails. And remember, even if one choose to apply after receiving such an email, don't mean their getting in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gracchus

New

Post by Gracchus » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:35 pm

I am definitely leaning to Pitt right now, but I received a call from the Seton Hall admissions office inquiring whether they could change my mind with additional aid.

Depending on the offer, I could definitely see myself at Seton Hall. But I will have to wait and see how large the offer turns out to be(tuition+COL at SH is not cheap).

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 am

Gracchus wrote:I am definitely leaning to Pitt right now, but I received a call from the Seton Hall admissions office inquiring whether they could change my mind with additional aid.

Depending on the offer, I could definitely see myself at Seton Hall. But I will have to wait and see how large the offer turns out to be(tuition+COL at SH is not cheap).
They just upgraded my scholarship too... $15k/year Deans scholly to $25k/year Presidential scholly... so yeah it looks like they are cool with shelling out the money to secure people.

I am definitely going to take the money and go to Seton Hall. I really liked it anyway, and this was just the icing on the cake.

Also, here is the fb group for Seton Hall Class of 2015: https://www.facebook.com/groups/390940144261417/

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 am

Anyone going to the cocktail reception in NYC tomorrow?

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Diceman102 wrote:Anyone going to the cocktail reception in NYC tomorrow?
Wish I could make it, it sounds pretty solid. But alas, I must work so that I may not be too much of a pauper during lawl school!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”