Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2015JD

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby 2015JD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 pm

hob12 wrote:What did everyone think of the Admitted Students Day? I liked the professor who taught the class.

My favorite part was the guy who asked "how hard is the first year actually?"
That and the cold salmon.

I almost facepalmed when that girl said circumstantial, you could tell the professor wanted to just smack her. Most of people sounded like idiots, trying to sound smart. Gave me the impression the group wasn't the brightest, although it's possible the people that raised their hands were simply self-selected, and that those who had half a brain know it's better to just sit back and watch the train wreck rather than take part. One guy in the front seemed bright, the others not so much.

Also like I posted before it seemed to me that over half the people there were Jewish, looking at the names, the beanies, etc etc.

kruiz88

Postby kruiz88 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Bmarce wrote:
2015JD wrote:
dingbat wrote:For all you waitlists out there, I'm 90% sure I'll be withdrawing, so that will open up another spot.
I'll make my decision in the next few weeks.

Good luck, and may my scholly benefit one of youse

Same here, after going to the ASD I saw a LOT of religious Jews (wearing the beanie), and the school seemed to be pushing the Jewish angle. Hope my money goes to someone else.

Has anyone considered this? I have not put much thought into it myself, I think it might be something to think about. Can anyone offer any insight into how non-jews are treated at 'dozo?

Yea, I can weigh in. So I am a 1L at Cardozo. I also happen to be Roman Catholic. Is there a substantial Jewish population on campus, yea. Are you going to see Jewish men wearing "the beanie"-yea. Are they the majority, no. Have I ever been treated differently or felt not welcomed because I was not Jewish, no. Is there a "jewish agenda" on campus, well in all honestly I have no idea what that means, but nothing that I have seen. As some of you may know, today is Ash Wednesday in Catholicism. There were a lot of people walking around with crosses on their heads. There is a christian-as well as a jewish- student club. Having spent a lot of time on both campuses, Cardozo is no more jewish than Fordham is catholic. Oh yea, I went to a catholic college and parochial school my whole life. Also one of my better friends at Cardozo is muslim. They offer rooms up for those who require them for prayer, meaning they accommodate muslim students. Last semester one of my professors decided to talk about how religion is just for the dilusional, there are religious students, but it is not a religious school. I have 5 professors right now, 1 jewish, 1 athiest with jewish roots, 1 athiest with catholic roots, 1 catholic, and one who i have no idea.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 pm

Did those of you who went to ASD go out afterwards?

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:40 am

Question to others at the ASD. Did you notice an unusual amount of older students? Were they parents or just simply second career types?

alexandra23

Postby alexandra23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:47 am

161/3.4...waitlisted...probably withdrawing. Good luck to you all :)

law31390

Postby law31390 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55 am

Got the call today--finally! In with the $30k/year scholarship, and I'm definitely attending! So excited!

northside

Postby northside » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 am

2015JD wrote:
hob12 wrote:What did everyone think of the Admitted Students Day? I liked the professor who taught the class.

My favorite part was the guy who asked "how hard is the first year actually?"
That and the cold salmon.

I almost facepalmed when that girl said circumstantial, you could tell the professor wanted to just smack her. Most of people sounded like idiots, trying to sound smart. Gave me the impression the group wasn't the brightest, although it's possible the people that raised their hands were simply self-selected, and that those who had half a brain know it's better to just sit back and watch the train wreck rather than take part. One guy in the front seemed bright, the others not so much.

Exactly.
I left right after the class and wrote my withdrawal e-mail on the MTA.

Best of luck, Cold Salmon Cardozo.

hob12

Postby hob12 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46 pm

2015JD wrote:Question to others at the ASD. Did you notice an unusual amount of older students? Were they parents or just simply second career types?

I know that there was one girl at my table with parents. I'd assume it was more parents... because they all seemed glued to a younger student.

Despite the sub par dinning- I still liked my student Q and A group. I'm still considering it, depending on how my scholarship negotiation goes.

Other thoughts on the day?

DanSeiDan

Postby DanSeiDan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm

I met with one of my friends from undergrad who is a 3L during the ASD, who essentially sold me on Cardozo.

He was paying sticker and still had a very strong endorsement, especially about the character of the student body.

The highlight for me was when my friend asked a group his friends in the Moot Court office if they had any endorsements for the school, They all replies asking if I had ANY other options besides going to law school. The consensus was: Don't go to law school, but if you do, Cardozo is a great place to go.

...And the location couldn't be much better

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

DanSeiDan wrote:I met with one of my friends from undergrad who is a 3L during the ASD, who essentially sold me on Cardozo.

He was paying sticker and still had a very strong endorsement, especially about the character of the student body.

The highlight for me was when my friend asked a group his friends in the Moot Court office if they had any endorsements for the school, They all replies asking if I had ANY other options besides going to law school. The consensus was: Don't go to law school, but if you do, Cardozo is a great place to go.

...And the location couldn't be much better

What were the reasons aside from character of student body? Did you also find the students in your group were lacking or do you have a different opinion? I understand what it's like to have a friend who goes to a law school recommend it. I had a friend who loved Michigan and I really didn't like it. I'm more interested in your independent viewpoints.

steepair

Postby steepair » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:17 pm

in all honesty, i only went to ASD because i had never been to NY and i got the travel stipend and i have a friend out there who i could stay with for free. i had pretty much decided on a school already and was planning on withdrawing from cardozo after ASD. but after i went? i am seriously considering cardozo again. i thought the facilities were gorgeous and the students and professors i spoke with were awesome. and, it also helped that i fell in love with NY, as well.

as for the jewish element? yeah, i did see a handful of men wearing the yarmulke, but i did not at all feel like the school was overtly jewish. in fact, it felt (to me) as if they were trying to distance themselves from the whole jewish thing. all of the students i spoke with really emphasized that they barely even noticed the jewish influence of the parent school, except when it came to certain things like the kosher microwave in the student lounge, and the weird hours the school and library closed at.

ugh. could the catered food they provided been any worse? i saw what they were serving and made a beeline for the door and went around the corner to grab a slice of pizza and came back for the afternoon activities. when i came back, it looked as though no one had even touched their food!

on the whole, cardozo really impressed me (aside from the food!). i think it will all boil down to how the ASD goes at my other top choice, and whether i can negotiate more scholarship money from cardozo.

and one last thing...i was actually quite surprised to see so many prospective students there with their parents.
Last edited by steepair on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 pm

I went complete on 1/10 and I STILL haven't heard a peep from them...am I the only one?

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm

steepair wrote:in all honesty, i only went to ASD because i had never been to NY and i got the travel stipend and i have a friend out there who i could stay with for free. i had pretty much decided on a school already and was planning on withdrawing from cardozo after ASD. but after i went? i am seriously considering cardozo again. i thought the facilities were gorgeous and the students and professors i spoke with were awesome. and, it also helped that i fell in love with NY, as well.

as for the jewish element? yeah, i did see a handful of men wearing the yarmulke, but i did not at all feel like the school was overtly jewish. in fact, it felt (to me) as if they were trying to distance themselves from the whole jewish thing. all of the students i spoke with really emphasized that they barely even noticed the jewish influence of the parent school, except when it came to certain things like the kosher microwave in the student lounge, and the weird hours the school and library closed at.

ugh. could the catered food they provided been any worse? i saw what they were serving and made a beeline for the door and went around the corner to grab a slice of pizza and came back for the afternoon activities. when i came back, it looked as though no one had even touched their food!

on the whole, cardozo really impressed me (aside from the food!). i think it will all boil down to how the ASD goes at my other top choice, and whether i can negotiate more scholarship money from cardozo.

and one last thing...i was actually quite surprised to see so many prospective students there with their parents.

What was the food? This makes me curious lol.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Got an email requesting a phone interview. I visited the school last week, and have super splitter numbers (170/2.6) Anyone been asked for a phone interview before? First I've heard of it at Cardozo.

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Got an email requesting a phone interview. I visited the school last week, and have super splitter numbers (170/2.6) Anyone been asked for a phone interview before? First I've heard of it at Cardozo.

I've seen this on last year's thread.

I just found out I been admitted to Cardozo last Friday and it was too late for me to make arrangements to attend this ASD. Now, I see that the next one is scheduled for a Thursday during which I have a full day of classes. Will I be missing out on a lot by not going? On other occasions, I have already visited Dozo twice (liked it very much) and went on a tour, sat in on a 1L class. Also, my friends who are current students are pretty apt at answering my questions.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Kess wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Got an email requesting a phone interview. I visited the school last week, and have super splitter numbers (170/2.6) Anyone been asked for a phone interview before? First I've heard of it at Cardozo.

I've seen this on last year's thread.

I just found out I been admitted to Cardozo last Friday and it was too late for me to make arrangements to attend this ASD. Now, I see that the next one is scheduled for a Thursday during which I have a full day of classes. Will I be missing out on a lot by not going? On other occasions, I have already visited Dozo twice (liked it very much) and went on a tour, sat in on a 1L class. Also, my friends who are current students are pretty apt at answering my questions.

I'm missing class to go, but I've also never been on campus, so I don't know.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm

I bet you aren't missing out on much Kess. ASD just like a long tour. I took the 3 hour tour with sitting in on a class, and not sure what else more they can tell me other than the CSO (which any 0L should research on their own anyway for any school)

Did you happen to see what the ramifications were of the phone interview Kess? Don't really have time today/tomorrow to weed through thousands of posts :)

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 pm

I think I'll be going to the March 22 ASD to see the campus and what not (mainly because of the nice $400 subsidy). Anyone have any good recommendations for a cheap hotel and/or wana room together to save money?

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Dietcoke, I apologize if this a very stupid question, but what is "CSO"?

It's been a while since I have scavenged last year's thread, but I think the people who got the interview were just asked some questions about stuff on the resume and I do recall some of them then being offered a seat. Don't take my word for it though- I could be way off.

Hmm... would it be disruptive if I went to part of the ASD- for example if I attended from like 12 to 5? (I already live in NYC- so I can come to Cardozo whenever pretty much)

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Career Service Office

Not too worried about an admit. Got a few under my belt. looking for scholarship money though, which I would love to have a big offer. Oh well, I'll post what it means once I get the call.

hellolawschoolitsmee

Postby hellolawschoolitsmee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Just wondering..for everyone already accepted..did all of you get a phone call/voicemail? or did some of you get in through status-check?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 pm

hellolawschoolitsmee wrote:Just wondering..for everyone already accepted..did all of you get a phone call/voicemail? or did some of you get in through status-check?

Got in through postal mail only. So don't worry... ;)

On their website, they say that they will notify you of only denials and WL through email.

law31390

Postby law31390 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 pm

TheFailboat wrote:I went complete on 1/10 and I STILL haven't heard a peep from them...am I the only one?

I also went complete on 1/10, and I got a call yesterday. Best of luck.

hob12

Postby hob12 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm

fltanglab wrote:
steepair wrote:in all honesty, i only went to ASD because i had never been to NY and i got the travel stipend and i have a friend out there who i could stay with for free. i had pretty much decided on a school already and was planning on withdrawing from cardozo after ASD. but after i went? i am seriously considering cardozo again. i thought the facilities were gorgeous and the students and professors i spoke with were awesome. and, it also helped that i fell in love with NY, as well.

What was the food? This makes me curious lol.

Salmon- with no other options for people who don't eat fish like me. There was some rice and veggies that weren't too bad. The problem is that they timed it poorly and the food was cold. The reception after was way better... carving station and chocolate covered fruit, yum.

I got into a lengthy conversation with a professor on his terrorism and law class, very interesting.

scram202

Postby scram202 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Got the call today! - In!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”