Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LKI716
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LKI716 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:32 am

orbison2110 wrote:Has anyone heard back for part time day?



Not yet...

User avatar
clarion
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby clarion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:43 am

30-Something wrote:Here's a question... Does anyone know if there is a correlation between fee waivers and acceptances? Cardozo emailed me, unsolicited, offering a fee waiver if I decided to apply. Should I take this as a good sign? I REALLY want to take this as a good sign.


Unfortunately, as a general rule, there's really no correlation between fee waivers and acceptances. There's a correlation between fee waivers and being a potentially strong candidate...? But not acceptances. :\ This is because sometimes the fee waivers will be connected to being above a certain GPA, while others are offered based on having a certain LSAT. Hence, once you submit application and BOTH are now up for consideration, in combination with your various softs and the timing of your application compared to others with similar stats to yours, etc., the decision can go either way.

As a point of reference, Cardozo offered me a waiver and I got in with a full scholarship, while UMichigan offered me a waiver as well and outright rejected me. That being said, take it as a good sign since it means they like SOMETHING about your application (which is more than most people can say, no?), but it is in no way implying admission: nor the contrary for that matter.

Good luck!

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby omninode » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 am

30-Something wrote:Here's a question... Does anyone know if there is a correlation between fee waivers and acceptances? Cardozo emailed me, unsolicited, offering a fee waiver if I decided to apply. Should I take this as a good sign? I REALLY want to take this as a good sign.

Sorry, no. It means nothing.

User avatar
doceydoe
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 am

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby doceydoe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 am

LawperaMan wrote:
Jolly_J88 wrote:Has anyone been accepted to the May part-time program yet? If so, can anyone tell me if Cardozo offers scholarships/grants for their part-time students? Based on this thread, seems like Cardozo gives out a lot of money..I'm trying to see if its worth applying for me. I would definitely attend if I was accepted into their part-time program, but would not pay sticker. Insight please!!!


When I contacted their admissions office to discuss the differences between their 3 entering class start dates, they told me that Summer/May students do not receive any merit aid.



SPECIAL SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANT PROGRAMS
Full- and part-time entering students are also considered for the following scholarships and grants, as applicable:

Public Service Scholars are selected based on high academic achievement and a demonstrated commitment to public service. The program confers mentoring, special academic and social events, and help with securing summer internships.

The E. Nathaniel Gates Scholarship, named after a former Cardozo professor, recognizes outstanding potential in those who are first-generation graduate students or who come from backgrounds under-represented in the legal profession. Professor Gates, a member of the Cardozo faculty from 1992 until his death in 2006, was the first member of his immediate family to attend college and law school. He served as advisor to important student initiatives and organizations, including the Diversity Coalition and the Black, Asian, and Latino Law Students Association, and at the time of his death was working on a sweeping examination of race in American law dating back to the colonial period.

The Floersheimer Law & Humanities Institute Fellowship provides an annual scholarship to an incoming J.D. student who shows the most promise in the area of "law and literature" or, more broadly, in "law and humanities." Members of the Law & Humanities Institute review the files of J.D. candidates and recommend a chosen individual to the Admissions Committee.

The Barbara Olson Scholarship, named for the 1989 Cardozo graduate who lost her life in the hijacked airplane that crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11/01, is awarded to an incoming female student who is chosen through an essay, written by the applicant, describing how she exemplifies Ms. Olson’s ideals and values, including her love of law and politics. The scholarship is renewable for the student’s second and third year, subject to a GPA requirement.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby z0rk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 am

z0rk wrote:
doceydoe wrote:
orbison2110 wrote:Has anyone heard back for part time day?


Sadly, no.


Wait a minute, all of the acceptances made thus far were for fall admission? I swore there were some for May part-time admission.

Can someone please confirm this?


Again, can someone please confirm or deny the above information? I did not think fall acceptances had gone out yet, and I was under the impression that many of the scholarships offered thus far were to students who were in the part-time may program (it would help if someone already accepted to the May program could answer this). This poster is giving conflicting information and I am seeking clarity :

LawperaMan wrote:
Jolly_J88 wrote:Has anyone been accepted to the May part-time program yet? If so, can anyone tell me if Cardozo offers scholarships/grants for their part-time students? Based on this thread, seems like Cardozo gives out a lot of money..I'm trying to see if its worth applying for me. I would definitely attend if I was accepted into their part-time program, but would not pay sticker. Insight please!!!


When I contacted their admissions office to discuss the differences between their 3 entering class start dates, they told me that Summer/May students do not receive any merit aid.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

Zork - LSN sheds some light on these issues. It shows that of everyone who self-identifies as a May applicant this cycle, none has gotten a decision yet. And it shows that in the last four cycles, no May applicant has gotten merit aid, except for one URM.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby z0rk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

Robespierre wrote:Zork - LSN sheds some light on these issues. It shows that of everyone who self-identifies as a May applicant this cycle, none has gotten a decision yet. And it shows that in the last four cycles, no May applicant has gotten merit aid, except for one URM.


Thanks for the clarification. I did see this earlier (as far as I know, its rather difficult to discern the total number of full-time to part-time on LSN without checking each and every individual status). I did not want to assume that all acceptances were for full-time only. LSN is a self-reporting pool of people, and given the fact that the may program is "quasi part-time" I felt it was possible for some (admitted) folks to overlook reporting a PT in their status.

Interesting that no May applicants have heard back yet. With an earlier start I hope we begin to hear back soon so we can factor this into our decisions.

northside
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby northside » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 am

Has anyone admitted via phone gotten anything in the mail yet? Its been a week and a half for me and nothing. Was I supposed to call them back since it was a voice mail? haha

LawperaMan
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LawperaMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 am

doceydoe wrote:
LawperaMan wrote:
Jolly_J88 wrote:Has anyone been accepted to the May part-time program yet? If so, can anyone tell me if Cardozo offers scholarships/grants for their part-time students? Based on this thread, seems like Cardozo gives out a lot of money..I'm trying to see if its worth applying for me. I would definitely attend if I was accepted into their part-time program, but would not pay sticker. Insight please!!!


When I contacted their admissions office to discuss the differences between their 3 entering class start dates, they told me that Summer/May students do not receive any merit aid.



SPECIAL SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANT PROGRAMS
Full- and part-time entering students are also considered for the following scholarships and grants, as applicable:


Perhaps these named scholarships are not considered "merit" scholarships since there are other criteria involved? Maybe they mean part-timers are not eligible for the usual LSAT/GPA based stuff. I'm not sure, I'm just relaying the information I received from the Cardozo admissions folks.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby citygirl000 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

...
Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northside
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby northside » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 pm

citygirl000 wrote:
northside wrote:Has anyone admitted via phone gotten anything in the mail yet? Its been a week and a half for me and nothing. Was I supposed to call them back since it was a voice mail? haha


I received everything via mail and mine was a voicemail as well.... what part of the country are you in? I'm on the East Coast and it only took 3-4 days...


Chicago.

User avatar
30-Something
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby 30-Something » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm

clarion wrote:
30-Something wrote:Here's a question... Does anyone know if there is a correlation between fee waivers and acceptances? Cardozo emailed me, unsolicited, offering a fee waiver if I decided to apply. Should I take this as a good sign? I REALLY want to take this as a good sign.


Unfortunately, as a general rule, there's really no correlation between fee waivers and acceptances. There's a correlation between fee waivers and being a potentially strong candidate...? But not acceptances. :\ This is because sometimes the fee waivers will be connected to being above a certain GPA, while others are offered based on having a certain LSAT. Hence, once you submit application and BOTH are now up for consideration, in combination with your various softs and the timing of your application compared to others with similar stats to yours, etc., the decision can go either way.

As a point of reference, Cardozo offered me a waiver and I got in with a full scholarship, while UMichigan offered me a waiver as well and outright rejected me. That being said, take it as a good sign since it means they like SOMETHING about your application (which is more than most people can say, no?), but it is in no way implying admission: nor the contrary for that matter.

Good luck!


Thanks a lot for the feedback. I figured as much... I was just looking for any sign of hope.

Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I was offered 15k a year. I am wondering if Cardozo's standing in the NYC area justifies my attending this school over UConn and St. John's, both of whom offered full scholarships.

barbizon
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby barbizon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:23 pm

In via voicemail. 25k a year. Fantastic news, now I'm just waiting on scholarship info from GW.

User avatar
iceicebaby
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:Hello everyone,

I was offered 15k a year. I am wondering if Cardozo's standing in the NYC area justifies my attending this school over UConn and St. John's, both of whom offered full scholarships.


Take the full boat to UConn, seriously. It's as good or better than Cardozo. While it's true that Cardozo has a larger presence and better employment figures in NYC than UConn, I can tell you from my personal experience living in NYC that you'll want to avoid the massive CoL debt you would accumulate on top of the $30k/year tuition at Cardozo. If you keep your scholly, you'd likely be looking at $180k+ in debt at Cardozo vs. next to nothing for UConn, which is basically ranked the same.

LawStudent89
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LawStudent89 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:Hello everyone,

I was offered 15k a year. I am wondering if Cardozo's standing in the NYC area justifies my attending this school over UConn and St. John's, both of whom offered full scholarships.


Take the full boat to UConn, seriously. It's as good or better than Cardozo. While it's true that Cardozo has a larger presence and better employment figures in NYC than UConn, I can tell you from my personal experience living in NYC that you'll want to avoid the massive CoL debt you would accumulate on top of the $30k/year tuition at Cardozo. If you keep your scholly, you'd likely be looking at $180k+ in debt at Cardozo vs. next to nothing for UConn, which is basically ranked the same.


TITCR

jozzy22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby jozzy22 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 pm

In with full ride via voicemail!

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Unagi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Did you guys get updates on your status checkers?
Mine updated on 01/12 to "decision rendered and sent" but I got no email, no call.... :( Did they forget me?

User avatar
eb66
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby eb66 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm

jozzy22 wrote:In with full ride via voicemail!



Congrats!! what are your stats, if I may ask?

shroeder
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby shroeder » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm IN!! 164 3.7

NJDevilsfan
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby NJDevilsfan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 pm

In via voice mail! 40k/year, not too shabby!

User avatar
doceydoe
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 am

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby doceydoe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 am

Congrats to those who have been accepted!

And Dozo please don't leave me in the dust... :(

User avatar
SarahT
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby SarahT » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 pm

In at 12:30pm Eastern time via phone call. 28k a year.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Unagi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:41 pm

SarahT wrote:In at 12:30pm Eastern time via phone call. 28k a year.


Did your status updated to decision rendered before you got the call?
I have decision rendered for a week and nothing :|
edit: by the way, congrats! great money!

User avatar
SarahT
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby SarahT » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Unagi wrote:
SarahT wrote:In at 12:30pm Eastern time via phone call. 28k a year.


Did your status updated to decision rendered before you got the call?
I have decision rendered for a week and nothing :|
edit: by the way, congrats! great money!


I have no clue. I haven't checked since Tuesday. But it was changed immediately after.

Sadly, I will probably be sending a withdraw letter within the next 2 weeks :-(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”