University of San Diego 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
montanamoose

New

Re: University of San Diego 2015

Post by montanamoose » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
montanamoose wrote:Waitlisted today ... which I am pretty sure is comperable to a rejection with 4,000 applicants.

Too bad.
Keep faith, I know a lot of people in southern california have it as a backup and havent withdrew yet.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Even at that I believe that the sticker (+ COL) price at USD is a little nuts for the numbers they are producing. I think its one of the best places to live on earth, and a great school, just too pricey with the cheaper alternatives available.

If they had given me some $$$ I would probably be singing a differnet tune!!!

Best to all who plan to attend!

richalvarez

New

Post by richalvarez » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm

This waiting game is killing me. I just want a decision already, please!!!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Ding.
:oops:

wannagotolaw

New

Post by wannagotolaw » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Good idea to try for a travel stipend?

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 pm

wannagotolaw wrote:Good idea to try for a travel stipend?
As mentioned some pages earlier, if you were a scholarship recipient, you have a good chance of getting a travel stipend... if not, it's unlikely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Does USD waitlist people? I have been sitting in their box for five months. I don't even want to go here anymore, but I am pissed that they can't man up and tell me yes, no, or maybe. Total crap San Diego.

Also: your auto respond email is total crap. Try sending a real email, like the people at Notre Dame. You're NOT a TI, stop trying to act like it.

aroth001

New

Post by aroth001 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:25 pm

I think they do WL. I don't understand the admissions process... Santa Clara has had my app since December and I haven't heard a word. But USD gave me a decision in 2 weeks. Not sure what the deal is there.

USD has a auto respond emaili to let you know they recieved your email... then they follow up with an actual response when they read it. Don't think they are trying to act like a T1....but I see your frustration. I have the same irritation with SCU and I don't even want to go there.

h2oplyer7 wrote:Does USD waitlist people? I have been sitting in their box for five months. I don't even want to go here anymore, but I am pissed that they can't man up and tell me yes, no, or maybe. Total crap San Diego.

Also: your auto respond email is total crap. Try sending a real email, like the people at Notre Dame. You're NOT a TI, stop trying to act like it.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah, it is very frustrating. I never hear back from USD (or Santa Clara). I have been waitlisted nearly everywhere else! As weird as it sounds, I would rather have a rejection at this point to help me limit my "options." UF, Notre Dame and Wisconsin are better at communicating, and you would think they would be busier.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 pm

If you got into ND, why worry about USD! Go become a leprechaun 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I got Waitlisted at Notre dame. (sorry typing this on my iPhone) I am from SoCal. Ironically enough I just got an email ten minutes ago from usd putting me on their Waitlist. Wow five months later.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Ah, I see. Hopefully you get off the ND WL.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 pm

splitsplat wrote:Ah, I see. Hopefully you get off the ND WL.
Thanks! :)

bjokay

New

Post by bjokay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I want an honest opinion.....

I was offered 39k per year from USD, and I have deposited my $250 as an intention to accept. That being said, I have some other offers and I was curious what my fellow class of 2015 thinks...

vs.

30k per year at George Washington (#20), or
Boston University (#26) (sticker, but expecting Aid)
Arizona State University (#26) (same at ASU)
Notre Dame University (#22) (same as others)
Waitlisted Texas

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

bjokay wrote:I want an honest opinion.....

I was offered 39k per year from USD, and I have deposited my $250 as an intention to accept. That being said, I have some other offers and I was curious what my fellow class of 2015 thinks...

vs.

Waitlisted Texas
Did you visit USD or any of the other schools? My vote: GW

darkatillam2

Bronze

Post by darkatillam2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 pm

vs.

Waitlisted Texas

Well, it really depends on where you want to live/practice.

Honestly, if you are flexible, you should pick GW. It's the highest ranked and your getting $$$ for it? It's a no brainer. The employment stats are TONS better at GW, and the $$$ isn't that much different from USD. Remember, USD is like mid #60s and your looking at a lot of #20 ranks... again, unless you don't want to leave CA, pick GW or ND all day long.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm

vs.

Waitlisted Texas
Hey there bjokay!

Now, because I want to go to Notre Dame, and I am on the waitlist, I want to encourage you to withdraw from ND ASAP! haha

Honestly though, I'm gonna give you some advice as a 31-year old who has already had some financial success in life. Even if you are convinced you want to be a lawyer, and maybe work for big law, don't bet your financial future on it. I'm not going to law school because I need a new career, but rather I am interested in expanding my horizons. I have made a number of career mistakes before, and lost a significant amount of money in those mistakes that put me a world of hurt. Luckily, I have also made some good decisions and made back a lot of money. If you want to stay in SD, go to USD. It sounds like it is nearly free (except living expenses). If you want to have a degree that will transmit across the country or get you into big law then go to GW. That is a great deal and GW has a terrific reputation. You will graduate with not so much debt and outstanding career opportunities. Unless the other schools give you significant money (like GW) I would say they are out, except maybe ASU (not so expensive but also regional despite its high ranking).

Frankly, I wouldn't pay sticker price even for Yale, unless I had at least 300k in the bank. Not because you couldn’t pay off your bill with a big law paycheck, but rather that you HAVE to work for big law for that paycheck, even if you wanted to do something else. You're just not free to make whatever career decision you want to make when graduate.

One of my many job hats is that of a financial advisor. I can tell you that a man who makes $5000 a month, who saves $500 a month, who has a lighter workload and is happy with their job is much better off than a man who makes $20,000 a month, who saves none of it since they live beyond their means (common in many cases of driven and wealthy lawyers I work with) and who are constantly stressed and unhappy.

Go to the school that will make you happy, that will get you the job you want, and that won’t cripple you financially for the next 20 years.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Mostly credited, but many of the "top" law schools have excellent LRAP which would allow someone to go into something other than biglaw if they wanted to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjokay

New

Post by bjokay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

I visited USD because I am from SoCal, and I haven't had a chance to visit the other campuses yet. My main reason for leaning toward USD is the fact that I would be graduated with very little debt in a job market that currently doesn't allow for much flexibility for lawyers with a ton of debt. In other words, I don't want to graduate and be forced to take some big law job just because I need it to pay off my debt. I value the ability to have options in life and see this as a great option. Even though GW is giving me a ton of money, the cost of attendance is 240k for 3 years! So, even with my scholarship I'm looking at a debt of about 150k, vs. SD at only about 70k. I guess in the long run it this probably won't make a huge difference, but I feel like I'm choosing between a region I know very well (SoCal) and I am comfortable in, and a area I know nothing about (DC). I have heard that in order to get a decent job from GW you must graduate in the top 15% of your class, and I have heard the same thing about USD. Nothing against USD, but I feel the competition in making that top% in your class will be much greater at GW, which is another reason I see it as a better option. If you see any major flaws in justifying my decision let me know as I'm still looking for any good reason to choose GW over USD.

darkatillam2

Bronze

Post by darkatillam2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 pm

bjokay wrote:I visited USD because I am from SoCal, and I haven't had a chance to visit the other campuses yet. My main reason for leaning toward USD is the fact that I would be graduated with very little debt in a job market that currently doesn't allow for much flexibility for lawyers with a ton of debt. In other words, I don't want to graduate and be forced to take some big law job just because I need it to pay off my debt. I value the ability to have options in life and see this as a great option. Even though GW is giving me a ton of money, the cost of attendance is 240k for 3 years! So, even with my scholarship I'm looking at a debt of about 150k, vs. SD at only about 70k. I guess in the long run it this probably won't make a huge difference, but I feel like I'm choosing between a region I know very well (SoCal) and I am comfortable in, and a area I know nothing about (DC). I have heard that in order to get a decent job from GW you must graduate in the top 15% of your class, and I have heard the same thing about USD. Nothing against USD, but I feel the competition in making that top% in your class will be much greater at GW, which is another reason I see it as a better option. If you see any major flaws in justifying my decision let me know as I'm still looking for any good reason to choose GW over USD.

Check out law school transparency and look at the difference in employment stats between your low 20 ranks and USD.

Gavel

New

Post by Gavel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

this is ridiculous. it has been 4 months since i went complete. USD is a viable option but they are taking their time. I need to decide soon!

richalvarez

New

Post by richalvarez » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Gavel wrote:this is ridiculous. it has been 4 months since i went complete. USD is a viable option but they are taking their time. I need to decide soon!
I know how you feel. Honestly, there is a part of me that wants to be rejected, so I have a reason to retake the LSAT. USD is my #1 choice, but I don't want to go at full sticker and that's pretty much the only way I'd get in at this point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reinert924

New

Post by reinert924 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Ding!

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:

vs.

Waitlisted Texas
Hey there bjokay!

Now, because I want to go to Notre Dame, and I am on the waitlist, I want to encourage you to withdraw from ND ASAP! haha

Honestly though, I'm gonna give you some advice as a 31-year old who has already had some financial success in life. Even if you are convinced you want to be a lawyer, and maybe work for big law, don't bet your financial future on it. I'm not going to law school because I need a new career, but rather I am interested in expanding my horizons. I have made a number of career mistakes before, and lost a significant amount of money in those mistakes that put me a world of hurt. Luckily, I have also made some good decisions and made back a lot of money. If you want to stay in SD, go to USD. It sounds like it is nearly free (except living expenses). If you want to have a degree that will transmit across the country or get you into big law then go to GW. That is a great deal and GW has a terrific reputation. You will graduate with not so much debt and outstanding career opportunities. Unless the other schools give you significant money (like GW) I would say they are out, except maybe ASU (not so expensive but also regional despite its high ranking).

Frankly, I wouldn't pay sticker price even for Yale, unless I had at least 300k in the bank. Not because you couldn’t pay off your bill with a big law paycheck, but rather that you HAVE to work for big law for that paycheck, even if you wanted to do something else. You're just not free to make whatever career decision you want to make when graduate.

One of my many job hats is that of a financial advisor. I can tell you that a man who makes $5000 a month, who saves $500 a month, who has a lighter workload and is happy with their job is much better off than a man who makes $20,000 a month, who saves none of it since they live beyond their means (common in many cases of driven and wealthy lawyers I work with) and who are constantly stressed and unhappy.

Go to the school that will make you happy, that will get you the job you want, and that won’t cripple you financially for the next 20 years.

I have a huge man boner for this response

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Eligible for $67,000 per year in loans through San Diego. No Scholarships though.. Wow, what a spectacular offer. Withdrew.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 am

bjokay wrote:I visited USD because I am from SoCal, and I haven't had a chance to visit the other campuses yet. My main reason for leaning toward USD is the fact that I would be graduated with very little debt in a job market that currently doesn't allow for much flexibility for lawyers with a ton of debt. In other words, I don't want to graduate and be forced to take some big law job just because I need it to pay off my debt. I value the ability to have options in life and see this as a great option. Even though GW is giving me a ton of money, the cost of attendance is 240k for 3 years! So, even with my scholarship I'm looking at a debt of about 150k, vs. SD at only about 70k. I guess in the long run it this probably won't make a huge difference, but I feel like I'm choosing between a region I know very well (SoCal) and I am comfortable in, and a area I know nothing about (DC). I have heard that in order to get a decent job from GW you must graduate in the top 15% of your class, and I have heard the same thing about USD. Nothing against USD, but I feel the competition in making that top% in your class will be much greater at GW, which is another reason I see it as a better option. If you see any major flaws in justifying my decision let me know as I'm still looking for any good reason to choose GW over USD.
You have to think about where you want to live. You have to also understand that CA has a bad economy right now in terms of the legal market. It also has more law school students graduating than other states and so you will be competing against those candidates too. That's not to say that USD is a bad option (I don't think it is), but that is the reality. Also, from various posters on this site, they have said to never pre-judge what your classmates may offer in terms of competition for GPA. Everyone will tell you that law school is a new beast, its own beast so to speak and forecasting how any student will do is hard because no matter where you go, T3 or T1, all students have not studied in the way that we will in law school. So don't use your potential classmates as a barometer. You're going to need them as networking contacts too.

If I were a CA resident, I would be very iffy about the CA market, but maybe you have better contacts that you will be able to utilize. Just know that in SD alone, you're going to be competing against say 1,500 students or so for all of the open positions. Not that each of those will be applying for the same opportunity, but that is the what the local law school student population is and I'm only using the nearby vicinity. People travel for solid opportunities.

I just wouldn't choose USD based on the GPA factor. Figure out what you want to do and look at the local market for that. If that's open, then maybe USD is the way to go. But if you want a portable degree, then maybe GW is the way to go. All are things to consider.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”