University of San Diego 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darkatillam2

Re: University of San Diego 2015

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 pm

I also went decision rendered today..... god, I hope this isn't the day they are sending out mass Rejects and WLs....

160 3.3 here btw.
Last edited by darkatillam2 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:12 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:I also went decision rendered today..... god, I hope this isn't the day they are mass sending out Rejects and WLs....

160 3.3 here btw.

They don't send out WLs (generally) until end of March and early April. At least, that's what the past threads tended to show. I think you're in. Good luck!

Phightins

Postby Phightins » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Best of luck to those that went DR today!

Can anyone tell me if they follow the financial aid package e-mail with hard copy materials? They turned the e-mail around fairly quickly and I wanted to know if I should expect a mailing.

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Does anyone know if they give out both need based aid (grants) and merit scholarships, or just one or the other? If anyone has recieved both of them, did they come separately in the mail, or at the same time? Just curious.

cobsss

Postby cobsss » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:59 pm

In last weekend with scholarship. Anyone have any idea of how job prospects look out of USD Law?? I plan on working in LA, CA where i currently reside

martorem

Postby martorem » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I guess I shouldn't have been so worried! Came home today to the Faculty Honor Scholarship of 31k/year, no stips in the letter. Will definitely be visiting when I'm in CA in 2 weeks!

mertle

Postby mertle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm

martorem wrote:I guess I shouldn't have been so worried! Came home today to the Faculty Honor Scholarship of 31k/year, no stips in the letter. Will definitely be visiting when I'm in CA in 2 weeks!

woo congrats!

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm

cobsss wrote:In last weekend with scholarship. Anyone have any idea of how job prospects look out of USD Law?? I plan on working in LA, CA where i currently reside

You should assume that all schools in CA will have competition regardless of where you want to practice. CA as a whole has a lot of law schools and therefore your "competition" will be greater regardless of where you attend. I think CA, as a state, graduates a large amount of legal professionals and therefore the numbers will be higher for those that are unemployed. You should look at the specific type of law that you're interested in versus the schools. Obviously, the school matters. But your ability to gain networking contacts is also important and should be a factor. USD is a good school, but if you have been accepted to LA schools, you might want to attend one of those based on COA and so on. I think USD would transfer to LA, but obviously I think an LA school should be observed as better, depending on the LA school in question.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:30 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:Does anyone know if they give out both need based aid (grants) and merit scholarships, or just one or the other? If anyone has recieved both of them, did they come separately in the mail, or at the same time? Just curious.

You should check out the last year's applicant thread. I thought they gave out one need-based grant, but I'm not entirely sure. I think most of the scholarships were merit-based. I'm also not sure how easy it is to keep those as some people said they stacked the classes. Other people said they didn't stack the classes. I remember this being a topic of concern though.

I think it was mentioned that they don't stack, but I think a lot of people said to operate under the assumption that if you had stipulations, could you afford to lose them and still pay USD at sticker. I think that's a fair assumption because no GPA is guaranteed.

You might just want to email the office about your question though since I didn't see much talked about this topic in past cycles or this one.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 pm

martorem wrote:I guess I shouldn't have been so worried! Came home today to the Faculty Honor Scholarship of 31k/year, no stips in the letter. Will definitely be visiting when I'm in CA in 2 weeks!

Congrats! Is that for all 3 years?

Stinger97

Postby Stinger97 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Received a letter this afternoon for an $18,000 merit based scholarship. Pretty sure that solidifies that I'll be attending in the Fall! Excited!

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:Does anyone know if they give out both need based aid (grants) and merit scholarships, or just one or the other? If anyone has recieved both of them, did they come separately in the mail, or at the same time? Just curious.

You should check out the last year's applicant thread. I thought they gave out one need-based grant, but I'm not entirely sure. I think most of the scholarships were merit-based. I'm also not sure how easy it is to keep those as some people said they stacked the classes. Other people said they didn't stack the classes. I remember this being a topic of concern though.

I think it was mentioned that they don't stack, but I think a lot of people said to operate under the assumption that if you had stipulations, could you afford to lose them and still pay USD at sticker. I think that's a fair assumption because no GPA is guaranteed.

You might just want to email the office about your question though since I didn't see much talked about this topic in past cycles or this one.

For sure, appreciate the advice.

martorem

Postby martorem » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 pm

splitsplat wrote:

Hey! Yeah in the letter it said it is renewable each year (total 93k). So excited and grateful! I will be at the Law School Visit Day on 3/26 - anyone else?

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 am

martorem wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Hey! Yeah in the letter it said it is renewable each year (total 93k). So excited and grateful! I will be at the Law School Visit Day on 3/26 - anyone else?

I'll be there too!

mertle

Postby mertle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm

martorem wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

i wish i could go...usd is my first choice! it'd be nice if they had more events on weekends since i'm working in san francisco.

martorem

Postby martorem » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:36 pm

mertle wrote:
martorem wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

i wish i could go...usd is my first choice! it'd be nice if they had more events on weekends since i'm working in san francisco.

I understand - as it is I'm going to have trouble getting down there. Since after I was admitted on 2/10 with no correspondence from them until Saturday, I planned a SoCal trip excluding USD. Now I'm going to have to amtrak it for a day trip...should be interesting/exhausting!

@beachbum - did you apply to UCI too? I'm struggling with my decision right now...

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

I'll be in SD next week, but not for ASD for USD since they haven't made a decision about me yet. I've been to the school once before though so that's not as big of a worry. I'll be checking out another San Diego school. I'm coming from out of state but I used to live/work in CA so it's generally familiar territory.

If you are from CA originally, pick the location where you want to work. That's the best and safest knowledge.

barbaraeliz

Postby barbaraeliz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

No scholarship letter yet. Got in a few weeks ago, and my numbers are above what they usually start awarding at. :? Just got my financial aid results via e-mail.

mkat27

Postby mkat27 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:28 am

Got my scholarship offer today! Evening Law Honors Scholarship of $10k a year :) I am so grateful!

Stinger97

Postby Stinger97 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Would there be any chance of trying to negotiate more money out of the school, or should I just be grateful I got something at all?

Phightins

Postby Phightins » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Stinger97 wrote:Would there be any chance of trying to negotiate more money out of the school, or should I just be grateful I got something at all?

Absolutely try to negotiate if you have any leverage. Worst they can do is say no.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Phightins wrote:
Stinger97 wrote:Would there be any chance of trying to negotiate more money out of the school, or should I just be grateful I got something at all?

Absolutely try to negotiate if you have any leverage. Worst they can do is say no.

Agree with this, but I think USD is less flexible because they do offer significant scholarships to a lot of candidates.

barbaraeliz

Postby barbaraeliz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm

barbaraeliz wrote:No scholarship letter yet. Got in a few weeks ago, and my numbers are above what they usually start awarding at. :? Just got my financial aid results via e-mail.

Just got my letter. 19k a year. Loyola Marymount offered me 23k. Leverage if I decide to end up out there?

Phightins

Postby Phightins » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 pm

barbaraeliz wrote:
barbaraeliz wrote:No scholarship letter yet. Got in a few weeks ago, and my numbers are above what they usually start awarding at. :? Just got my financial aid results via e-mail.

Just got my letter. 19k a year. Loyola Marymount offered me 23k. Leverage if I decide to end up out there?

What are the stips on both? The Loyola money should be solid leverage.

lsatTakerguy

Postby lsatTakerguy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Scholarship letters comes after acceptance letter...

FYI: $39K / year

LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.8
WORK: 3 years in non-profit

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”