University of San Diego 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawismylife007

Re: University of San Diego 2015

Postby lawismylife007 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 pm

ensign85 wrote:Complete since mid-October. Anyone else?

+1

...feel your pain

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Yeah westcoast what are your #s? I'm eagerly awaiting a decision.

I don't know what the decision is yet. But i am above the medians. I will probably find out in the next few days.

cheergirl

Postby cheergirl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm

i got my scholly letter and it's a 23,000 grant provided i have financial aid...and i think it's just for the first year. i don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but i was kind of expecting a little more. should i wait to start negotiating? i don't know if i'm serious about san diego.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 pm

cheergirl wrote:i got my scholly letter and it's a 23,000 grant provided i have financial aid...and i think it's just for the first year. i don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but i was kind of expecting a little more. should i wait to start negotiating? i don't know if i'm serious about san diego.

I got the same one. Mine said that it would continue all 3 years ($69,000 total) as long as I keep proving financial need.

If you're not serious I would hold off. Definitely ask for other opinions though.

JDProspect

Postby JDProspect » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 pm

naf34 wrote:I just got a scholarship letter about 6 weeks later

Guess I have some waiting to do, given that I just got my acceptance this week.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Pleasye wrote:
cheergirl wrote:i got my scholly letter and it's a 23,000 grant provided i have financial aid...and i think it's just for the first year. i don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but i was kind of expecting a little more. should i wait to start negotiating? i don't know if i'm serious about san diego.

I got the same one. Mine said that it would continue all 3 years ($69,000 total) as long as I keep proving financial need.

If you're not serious I would hold off. Definitely ask for other opinions though.

No point in negotiating if you're not really serious... that would be a waste of time. Although if you think you would consider the school if given more money then by all means you should.

cheergirl

Postby cheergirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 am

fashiongirl wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

No point in negotiating if you're not really serious... that would be a waste of time. Although if you think you would consider the school if given more money then by all means you should.

Makes sense. I really should concentrate writing LOCI's to schools that I haven't heard from yet :/ .

I'm planning on visiting sometime within the next month and I know that that will have a BIG impact (especially if the weather is GORG). I just don't wanna fall in love and then all their money has dried up. :)

akua1209

Postby akua1209 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 am

fashiongirl wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Or if you think more money at this shcool could be used as leverage for another school that's given you less...then you can negotiate.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm

cheergirl wrote:
fashiongirl wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Makes sense. I really should concentrate writing LOCI's to schools that I haven't heard from yet :/ .

I'm planning on visiting sometime within the next month and I know that that will have a BIG impact (especially if the weather is GORG). I just don't wanna fall in love and then all their money has dried up. :)

Just remember, everything you make up for in weather, you will get on the backside with the price of everything. Gas, rent, groceries, parking downtown - everything = more expensive than anywhere else, except NY. So take that into consideration. If you're going to be renting a place, assume $900 at least for a solid location apt. (meaning one in a safe area) if you are looking at singles. That's for an apt. with the bare minimum at least. I lived up near LA so I'm basing my prices off of living up there (30-40 mins away from the city).

martorem

Postby martorem » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Decision rendered today! Hopefully will come home to a nice admit package sometime next week...

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

I have to disagree with BearsGrl - I live in San Diego and the COL is not as high as LA OR the bay area. The gas here is cheaper and you can find pockets of places to rent in a lot of different areas here that are not pricey at all. You can get a studio for $800 in Clairemont and the rent is not as high as Northern California. A studio in PB can go for $900. It's a huge city and there are a ton of options. The sales tax is not as high as LA or the bay area so not sure what you are referring to when you say groceries are more expensive. I've been shopping for properties for the past year here in SD in comparison to the bay area and LA and I can tell you it's much cheaper. However there are ritzy places like La Jolla, Del Mar, Carlsbad but people tend to rent more in PB, Mission Valley, OB, Point Loma, near Old Town, etc where it is more affordable. Parking downtown is not that expensive in comparison to SF too.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm

fashiongirl wrote:I have to disagree with BearsGrl - I live in San Diego and the COL is not as high as LA OR the bay area. The gas here is cheaper and you can find pockets of places to rent in a lot of different areas here that are not pricey at all. You can get a studio for $800 in Clairemont and the rent is not as high as Northern California. A studio in PB can go for $900. It's a huge city and there are a ton of options. The sales tax is not as high as LA or the bay area so not sure what you are referring to when you say groceries are more expensive. I've been shopping for properties for the past year here in SD in comparison to the bay area and LA and I can tell you it's much cheaper. However there are ritzy places like La Jolla, Del Mar, Carlsbad but people tend to rent more in PB, Mission Valley, OB, Point Loma, near Old Town, etc where it is more affordable. Parking downtown is not that expensive in comparison to SF too.

Oh on average, SD is going to be cheaper than LA/SF because Southern CA is more conservative. However, I meant that the sales tax of CA is 9.75% on goods. I live in a state where sales tax is 5.5%. I also meant that if you are coming from the Midwest or the Southeast part of the US, you may be "more shocked" by the overall cost of goods as a whole. That's all I meant. Of course, out of state folks could find a cheaper rent option than $1,000 (you can go on Craigslist and rent homes from people for $500 or so) but on average, items such as gas and rent are more expensive than in the regions mentioned. All I meant with groceries is that even the cheaper grocery stores (Ralph's) were still more expensive than other grocery chains located elsewhere in the States. Maybe you don't realize it if you've been living there for awhile, but a significant amount of grocery items cost more, before tax, than you could buy elsewhere. As someone that moved there, it was just something I wasn't initially ready for - not a "bad" negative, but should be considered as part of the moving process when you may not be making an income.

This shouldn't be a deterrent by any means, but it should be a factor when you're thinking about everything. Carlsbad and Laguna are gorgeous. As far as La Jolla, I always said that you couldn't call yourself a Californian until you knew how to pronounce La Jolla. :D

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:50 pm

BearsGrl - No worries, I was just comparing SD to other parts of Cali. I can totally see where you're coming from if you come from out of state or a cheaper area. I went to college in the central coast of Cali and although small, still majorly expensive! I do love SD though, our tax here is only 7.75% so I try to buy my stuff here rather than LA or the bay area.

And I wish I could live in a state with NO sales tax!

cheergirl

Postby cheergirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Just remember, everything you make up for in weather, you will get on the backside with the price of everything. Gas, rent, groceries, parking downtown - everything = more expensive than anywhere else, except NY. So take that into consideration. If you're going to be renting a place, assume $900 at least for a solid location apt. (meaning one in a safe area) if you are looking at singles. That's for an apt. with the bare minimum at least. I lived up near LA so I'm basing my prices off of living up there (30-40 mins away from the city).

Don't worry...I'm from LA :)

I've only been down to San Diego once but it was super foggy. I haven't visited the school yet and I've heard they have a great view. I just don't want it to be foggy again so that I can actually experience it.

Stinger97

Postby Stinger97 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Ah, status updated to "decision rendered - decision letter sent" today! I am freaking out. Not sure if this is good or bad. My primary email got deleted (it was from my undergrad and of all times they decide to wipe the system, today was the day!) so I don't even know if I got an email from them. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :oops:

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Stinger97 wrote:Ah, status updated to "decision rendered - decision letter sent" today! I am freaking out. Not sure if this is good or bad. My primary email got deleted (it was from my undergrad and of all times they decide to wipe the system, today was the day!) so I don't even know if I got an email from them. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :oops:

They only send decisions by snail mail so don't worry about the email. Good luck!

surfSD

Postby surfSD » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:57 am

fashiongirl wrote:I have to disagree with BearsGrl - I live in San Diego and the COL is not as high as LA OR the bay area. The gas here is cheaper and you can find pockets of places to rent in a lot of different areas here that are not pricey at all. You can get a studio for $800 in Clairemont and the rent is not as high as Northern California. A studio in PB can go for $900. It's a huge city and there are a ton of options. The sales tax is not as high as LA or the bay area so not sure what you are referring to when you say groceries are more expensive. I've been shopping for properties for the past year here in SD in comparison to the bay area and LA and I can tell you it's much cheaper. However there are ritzy places like La Jolla, Del Mar, Carlsbad but people tend to rent more in PB, Mission Valley, OB, Point Loma, near Old Town, etc where it is more affordable. Parking downtown is not that expensive in comparison to SF too.

+1

I live 7 blocks from the beach in PB and pay 700.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Negotiated my scholarship and was increased 15k-23k. Super excited and thankful.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 pm

martorem wrote:Decision rendered today! Hopefully will come home to a nice admit package sometime next week...

You applied all over. IUB and USD. Which one are you leaning towards? The weather of each is nearly diametrically opposed so is it all a money game or do you like any particular programs?

martorem

Postby martorem » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:07 am

BearsGrl wrote:
martorem wrote:Decision rendered today! Hopefully will come home to a nice admit package sometime next week...

You applied all over. IUB and USD. Which one are you leaning towards? The weather of each is nearly diametrically opposed so is it all a money game or do you like any particular programs?

There are definitely specific programs/schools I like better than others, and they obviously take top choice. I also felt that as a (weak) splitter, I had to apply everywhere to optimize acceptances and money offers. I think in the end my decision will balance between money and ranking. I'm really open to going anywhere, I'm from Boston/MA and I guess could always come back, but I don't really want to stay here and there's nothing really keeping me here either. Feel free to send a PM if you like!

Stinger97

Postby Stinger97 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 am

Found out I got in today! Need to wait on scholarship info but this is my top choice.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:23 am

Stinger97 wrote:Found out I got in today! Need to wait on scholarship info but this is my top choice.

Congrats. That's awesome. I'm still waiting to get my decision in the mail.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:32 pm

westcoast wrote:
Stinger97 wrote:Found out I got in today! Need to wait on scholarship info but this is my top choice.

Congrats. That's awesome. I'm still waiting to get my decision in the mail.

Assume you got in. I don't think they've sent out WLs or rejects yet so I'd assume you're in.

richalvarez

Postby richalvarez » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:35 pm

How long after you guys submitted your application did it take to receive an email with log-in and password information to check your status on the school's site?

Robst

Postby Robst » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Accepted three weeks ago via Mail.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”