University of San Diego 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Phightins

New

Re: University of San Diego 2015

Post by Phightins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Congrats to those who got in recently.

I went DR/accepted on 2/24 and haven't gotten anything in the mail in terms of financial aid (other than the e-mail package with loans). Is it safe to assume I should not expect anything at this point. I know they send that info. out several weeks after acceptance, but I'm starting to get disheartened.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Phightins wrote:Congrats to those who got in recently.

I went DR/accepted on 2/24 and haven't gotten anything in the mail in terms of financial aid (other than the e-mail package with loans). Is it safe to assume I should not expect anything at this point. I know they send that info. out several weeks after acceptance, but I'm starting to get disheartened.
Someone did say that they were told that no more scholarship money was available. Whether you were a part of these admits, I don't know. This was about the time last year where they didn't offer scholarship money though so it seems in line with past cycles.

I think they offered some after people dropped out and more money became available.

Phightins

New

Post by Phightins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Phightins wrote: Someone did say that they were told that no more scholarship money was available. Whether you were a part of these admits, I don't know. This was about the time last year where they didn't offer scholarship money though so it seems in line with past cycles.

I think they offered some after people dropped out and more money became available.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone who went DR around the same time got anything. I was hoping I had made the cutoff for at least a little cash. USD at sticker is frightening.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Phightins wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Phightins wrote: Someone did say that they were told that no more scholarship money was available. Whether you were a part of these admits, I don't know. This was about the time last year where they didn't offer scholarship money though so it seems in line with past cycles.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone who went DR around the same time got anything. I was hoping I had made the cutoff for at least a little cash. USD at sticker is frightening.
You might have made the cut-off. I'm still waiting on A/R/W so at least you have debt to think about - haha. Will you be checking out the school or going to the ASD? I'm out of state but will be heading out to Southern CA in the next few days. Excited for a vacation even though a friend in CA says the weather hasn't been too good lately.

Phightins

New

Post by Phightins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm

BearsGrl wrote: You might have made the cut-off. I'm still waiting on A/R/W so at least you have debt to think about - haha. Will you be checking out the school or going to the ASD? I'm out of state but will be heading out to Southern CA in the next few days. Excited for a vacation even though a friend in CA says the weather hasn't been too good lately.
I'll be going to the ASD on April 13th. I've seen the school a number of times and could definitely see myself there for 3 years. Have ties to the area and it's where I want to settle, plus I'm relatively locked in to the SoCal area.

The weather was pretty funky over the weekend but it's getting back to normal this week. Should be a great time to check out the area!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:25 am

In!!! Thinking I may fly down from SEA for the Admitted Students Day on the 13th. It does seem quite expensive, though. I'm afraid if I visit I won't leave!

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 am

I got the login email today, I'm in! But I definitely wouldn't go without scholarship. I am anxiously awaiting that packet in the mail. Has anyone gotten travel stipends from them?

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 am

futurejdgirl wrote:I got the login email today, I'm in! But I definitely wouldn't go without scholarship. I am anxiously awaiting that packet in the mail. Has anyone gotten travel stipends from them?
Was wondering about the travel stipend also. I know certain hotels on their website list a 15% discount, but didn't see anything else. Might e-mail them to check.

darkatillam2

Bronze

Post by darkatillam2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 am

I emailed them asking about a travel stipend and they said they couldn't provide one, regardless of the fact my financial situation is bad (I received a fee wavier from LSAC).

However, my URM friend who was accepted back in Jan was given one without asking, so if you were accepted a while ago + got a scholarship offer back then as well, maybe they like you enough to give you one ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 am

I just got a $400 travel stipend from them in the mail along with a detailed explanation of my scholarship award and when I have to commit by. I think you are right, that the stipends come with scholarships. I hope you all get some!

Also, I JUST got my scholarship last Tuesday. So maybe they still have some money left? Good luck guys! And congrats to the recent admits!

mertle

New

Post by mertle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 pm

i received a grant but i also just got it last week so there may still be money in the pot! i also got travel stipend details but will probably not use it because i visited earlier this year already. i hope it can go to someone else!

ibreathewater

New

Post by ibreathewater » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Decision rendered today (3/19) after being complete since 1/8.

Any ideas as to what I should expect? GPA is above 75%, but LSAT is below 25th :( . Strong extracurriculars and involvements.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:16 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:I emailed them asking about a travel stipend and they said they couldn't provide one, regardless of the fact my financial situation is bad (I received a fee wavier from LSAC).

However, my URM friend who was accepted back in Jan was given one without asking, so if you were accepted a while ago + got a scholarship offer back then as well, maybe they like you enough to give you one ;)
So.. they basically are willing to give money to people they've already given money too... Hmmm. Unfortunate but makes me a little more iffy about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:50 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:
darkatillam2 wrote:I emailed them asking about a travel stipend and they said they couldn't provide one, regardless of the fact my financial situation is bad (I received a fee wavier from LSAC).

So.. they basically are willing to give money to people they've already given money too... Hmmm. Unfortunate but makes me a little more iffy about it.

It seems that way, unfortunately. I e-mailed admissions and was told they were unable to provide me with any assistance. Oh well, just booked my flight anyway. Will be a welcomed retreat from Seattle! Anyone have any advice on what to check out down there?

mkat27

New

Post by mkat27 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:36 pm

So which Admitted Students Day is everyone going to? I know there are like 5 different days...

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Managed to negotiated my scholarship from a 12k grant to 18k a year no stips... They definitely still have money to shell out.

Phightins

New

Post by Phightins » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:Managed to negotiated my scholarship from a 12k grant to 18k a year no stips... They definitely still have money to shell out.
Nice. I may have to call tomorrow to see if I can squeeze a little out of them. I don't have much leverage other than guaranteeing matriculation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Phightins wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:Managed to negotiated my scholarship from a 12k grant to 18k a year no stips... They definitely still have money to shell out.
Nice. I may have to call tomorrow to see if I can squeeze a little out of them. I don't have much leverage other than guaranteeing matriculation.
Thanks! And yea, may as well.... Nothing to lose in just trying.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 am

Thing to be careful about with USD: How long does it last? Do you get 18k all three years with no stips.

They are a sneaky bunch over there.

I have heard that the admission letter was a bit brutally honest this year?

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 am

interesting, i want to try and remove my stips...

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 am

jarofsoup wrote:Thing to be careful about with USD: How long does it last? Do you get 18k all three years with no stips.

+1 to this, my first scholy letter was only 18k for one year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Phightins

New

Post by Phightins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

jarofsoup wrote:I have heard that the admission letter was a bit brutally honest this year?
How so? I didn't notice anything unusual. Just curious.

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

vkgarrett wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Thing to be careful about with USD: How long does it last? Do you get 18k all three years with no stips.

I think all three. Don't have the letter in front of me because I'm at work, but pretty sure it said 18k renewable all three years with no indication of stipulations. So, I just figured that mean 18k a year no stips? haha Correct me if I'm wrong.

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:
vkgarrett wrote:

I think all three. Don't have the letter in front of me because I'm at work, but pretty sure it said 18k renewable all three years with no indication of stipulations. So, I just figured that mean 18k a year no stips? haha Correct me if I'm wrong.
there are some scholarships that were for all three, but some only were for one year. Just saying read carefully :) if you did then yours is probably for all three :)

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm

vkgarrett wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:
vkgarrett wrote:

there are some scholarships that were for all three, but some only were for one year. Just saying read carefully :) if you did then yours is probably for all three :)
For sure. Definitely going to have to reread it when I get home now... hope I didn't misread the damn thing haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”