U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sdphill
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby sdphill » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 am

salsahips wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Good, valid point. It's hard to determine their reasoning, but either way it sucks that they won't even help with my $800 dollar plane ticket :(



Jeez, are you flying from Europe?!?


+1 That's REALLY expensive...

User avatar
junm
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby junm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 am

Got an email today raising my initial scholarship offer by $2,000 a year. My total is now $22,000 a year. I've never heard of a school increasing a scholarship unsolicited, so I was kinda surprised. Don't think it's enough to get me to go there though.

genius5432
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby genius5432 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 am

junm wrote:Got an email today raising my initial scholarship offer by $2,000 a year. My total is now $22,000 a year. I've never heard of a school increasing a scholarship unsolicited, so I was kinda surprised. Don't think it's enough to get me to go there though.


Got that same email yesterday. I have heard that schools do this, though. My guess is that fewer people have accepted their offers this far into the cycle or more have withdrawn themselves from consideration than the U is used to. In any case, I appreciate the offer.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 am

sdphill wrote:
salsahips wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Good, valid point. It's hard to determine their reasoning, but either way it sucks that they won't even help with my $800 dollar plane ticket :(



Jeez, are you flying from Europe?!?


+1 That's REALLY expensive...


Montana

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

benburns214 wrote:
sdphill wrote:
salsahips wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Good, valid point. It's hard to determine their reasoning, but either way it sucks that they won't even help with my $800 dollar plane ticket :(



Jeez, are you flying from Europe?!?


+1 That's REALLY expensive...


Montana


I think Montana is in Europe. Small little country on the Med. Or is that Monaco? I am sure they are the same thing just spelled different. Depending on your native language.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
salsahips wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Good, valid point. It's hard to determine their reasoning, but either way it sucks that they won't even help with my $800 dollar plane ticket :(



Jeez, are you flying from Europe?!?



Montana


I think Montana is in Europe. Small little country on the Med. Or is that Monaco? I am sure they are the same thing just spelled different. Depending on your native language.


Believe it or not we speak only Latin here in Montana... I'm using Google Translator to post in english.
Also, we dont have vehicles. Only horses.

alknj2015
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby alknj2015 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 pm

just withdrew from my other schools and put my deposit down for um - see you guys in the fall!

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 pm

benburns214 wrote:Believe it or not we speak only Latin here in Montana... I'm using Google Translator to post in english.
Also, we dont have vehicles. Only horses.


But alas, you have the internets, which is all you really need.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 pm

salsahips wrote:
benburns214 wrote:Believe it or not we speak only Latin here in Montana... I'm using Google Translator to post in english.
Also, we dont have vehicles. Only horses.


But alas, you have the internets, which is all you really need.


Word

User avatar
westcoast
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby westcoast » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 am

FYI, I've been told that they have exhausted all scholarhip funds. That's interesting given that they recently increased some people's scholarhips. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby MTBike » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 am

westcoast wrote:FYI, I've been told that they have exhausted all scholarhip funds. That's interesting given that they recently increased some people's scholarhips. Good luck everyone.


Yeah that is what they told me as well... As people withdraw there should be more money being freed up.

User avatar
westcoast
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby westcoast » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 am

MTBike wrote:
westcoast wrote:FYI, I've been told that they have exhausted all scholarhip funds. That's interesting given that they recently increased some people's scholarhips. Good luck everyone.


Yeah that is what they told me as well... As people withdraw there should be more money being freed up.


One can hope so.

bajafresk
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby bajafresk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 pm

alknj2015 wrote:just withdrew from my other schools and put my deposit down for um - see you guys in the fall!


what schools did you withdraw from? just curious what other schools you got into and why you chose miami

alknj2015
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby alknj2015 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:04 pm

bajafresk wrote:
alknj2015 wrote:just withdrew from my other schools and put my deposit down for um - see you guys in the fall!


what schools did you withdraw from? just curious what other schools you got into and why you chose miami


I was put on "hold" at FIU but withdrew, rejected from UF no decision yet from FSU but withdrew, withdrew from Rutgers Newark and Seton Hall, and still waiting to hear on 4 CA schools (but will withdraw eventually).

In the beginning of the application process, I thought I would continue my job at the public defender's office and go to school part-time at either Rutgers or Seton Hall, which are both right down the street. My boyfriend and I then decided to use my law school experience as an excuse to move somewhere fun and different. Our choices were Cali or Florida because we have family in both states. Going through this process, we ultimately decided on Florida. Both of our parents are retiring there. Out of the four Florida schools, I chose Miami. I would've loved to go to UF but was rejected. I haven't heard from FSU and withdrew anyway because I couldn't see myself living in Tallahassee. We love Miami, and out of the two Miami Schools, UM has a better alumni, better reputation, and well, I'm on "hold" at FIU and don't know when they'll give me a final decision! We're leaving for FL in May and I wanted to have a final decision sooner than later. It's hella expensive but I don't really care. I'm visiting next week for the first time, but have been obsessive about reading forums and articles about UM. I'm comfortable with my decision.

I hope I answered your question!

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Any movement lately?

ashen
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ashen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:48 am

BearsGrl wrote:Any movement lately?

Still on hold :?

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby MTBike » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 am

I'm ready to move down... Also, I created a thread for those of us that are accepted and for sure attending.

Link - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=179937

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 pm

ashen wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Any movement lately?

Still on hold :?


They never gave me an official CaneID so at least you have that. :) Have you read the last year's thread in regards to movement on the hold status? A lot of people seemed to have movement of some sort off of the hold.

paradox
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby paradox » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Just got accepted to UMiami but do not know much about it. I will probably attend March 23d Accepted Student Day.

I would appreciate if someone please tell me why they have selected UMiami for reasons other than merit award?

Do you sense that UMiami Law is trending downward or on the up? why?

What do you estimate rent will be?

Thanks.

ashen
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ashen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Well my hold letter on my MyUM portal just got replaced by "view admissions documents needed" with no documents requested. Back in review I guess?

JerichoJohnny
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby JerichoJohnny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:32 pm

paradox wrote:Just got accepted to UMiami but do not know much about it. I will probably attend March 23d Accepted Student Day.

I would appreciate if someone please tell me why they have selected UMiami for reasons other than merit award?

Do you sense that UMiami Law is trending downward or on the up? why?

What do you estimate rent will be?

Thanks.


I'm interested to know this as well. Miami at sticker is a frightening prospect to me, and that's what I'd be looking at. At least I could stay in my home state of Florida.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:37 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:
paradox wrote:Just got accepted to UMiami but do not know much about it. I will probably attend March 23d Accepted Student Day.

I would appreciate if someone please tell me why they have selected UMiami for reasons other than merit award?

Do you sense that UMiami Law is trending downward or on the up? why?

What do you estimate rent will be?

Thanks.


I'm interested to know this as well. Miami at sticker is a frightening prospect to me, and that's what I'd be looking at. At least I could stay in my home state of Florida.



Although the rankings are not and should not be the end all be all in your decision making process, the new US News rankings come out on Tuesday.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobwob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby wobwob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:56 am

Just accepted off hold. Good luck to everyone else.

Republitarian
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Republitarian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:35 am

wobwob wrote:Just accepted off hold. Good luck to everyone else.

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking what where your stats. I am also on the waiting list.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac8876a, cyclawps, hangold, jer0689, pizzagoblin, SolRs, sonyco, studyingeveryday, TecumsehSherman, TriSapien, TudoBem, usaorbust, yulankong and 32 guests