U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
futurejdgirl

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 am

Got my acceptance via an update email from "CaneID" - those were an agonizing 5 minutes creating my ID and such!

My LSAT is 162, LSAC gpa is 3.1, major GPA, 3.4

Those of you seriously considering attending UMiami, what are your reasons? I don't think I would attend without a scholarship.

monkeysez

Postby monkeysez » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:35 am

I received a letter in the mail talking about a writing fellow for 5 weeks? Anyone know what all that is about?

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Going up this weekend to get a feel for the area and possibly check out some housing areas, super pumped! Anyone have any recommendations for what to do at night to get a better feel of the area? I was thinking even just walking around South Beach would be nice to get my fiance comfortable to the idea of living in MIA lol.

cass1230

Postby cass1230 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 pm

monkeysez wrote:I received a letter in the mail talking about a writing fellow for 5 weeks? Anyone know what all that is about?

me too, i havent heard much about it though

cass1230

Postby cass1230 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Prospect wrote:Going up this weekend to get a feel for the area and possibly check out some housing areas, super pumped! Anyone have any recommendations for what to do at night to get a better feel of the area? I was thinking even just walking around South Beach would be nice to get my fiance comfortable to the idea of living in MIA lol.

the brickell area has a lot of bars, mary brickell village is a good central point to start from...Lincoln Road on the Beach has plenty of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. you can visit also

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:07 pm

I just called and asked if I would be receiving any scholarship award and was told that all the funds are "depleted" and it is highly unlikely that anyone, at this point, will be offered money, even if other spots open up.

Does anyone think its worth it to go here, without scholarship money?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 am

futurejdgirl wrote:I just called and asked if I would be receiving any scholarship award and was told that all the funds are "depleted" and it is highly unlikely that anyone, at this point, will be offered money, even if other spots open up.

Does anyone think its worth it to go here, without scholarship money?

I would not have been able to afford the COL in Miami even with a 30k/year scholarship. But obviously some people handle it because not everyone receives a scholarship. So for me, no. But it depends on if you have financial support, if you are close to home, what other schools you got into, etc.
Last edited by cutecarmel on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwboyzz34

Postby cwboyzz34 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if Miami gives out a travel stipend? I'm from Ohio and I want to visit, but it is obviously going to be expensive to visit.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

cwboyzz34 wrote:Does anyone know if Miami gives out a travel stipend? I'm from Ohio and I want to visit, but it is obviously going to be expensive to visit.

Nope... I sent an email asking about it and they replied with "Unfortunately we do not offer a travel stipend/partial travel reimbursement to attend the Law Day for Admitted Students."

It makes sense really though if you think about it... alot of law schools that reside in hot spring break/tourist areas dont give out stipends, for obvious reasons.

SomethingSpecial

Postby SomethingSpecial » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 pm

I got in yesterday morning!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:09 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:Does anyone think its worth it to go here, without scholarship money?

I'm currently a 1L at Miami without scholarship. Miami does offer Continuing Student Scholarships after your first year for both merit-based and need-based. I know that I can get need-based, and my goal was to do well enough my first year to get the merit-based as well. First semester I was able to get a 3.7, so I'm pretty sure I'm on track for that.
You just have to consider what your other options are, whether or not you want to be in Miami, and how hard you want to work to get a scholarship after your first year.

I see there are other 1Ls here taking/answering questions, but if you guys want to ask me anything feel free to send me a private message because I don't check this thread as much as I use to.

alknj2015

Postby alknj2015 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:23 pm

anyone receive the app for the summer institute? anyone have thoughts/feelings/ideas about this? i think it's worth putting in an app.

Tyeger87

Postby Tyeger87 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:27 pm

alknj2015 wrote:anyone receive the app for the summer institute? anyone have thoughts/feelings/ideas about this? i think it's worth putting in an app.

I did and I am putting in an app, seems totally worth it

KEM2012

Postby KEM2012 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:52 am

I was accepted on 2/7. Super quick, totally exciting. I also got the letter for the summer program.

I didn't get a scholarship. It's the highest ranked school I've been accepted to (mediocre numbers, good personal statement), and for that I keep it on my list, but I have no idea what to do. It's expensive; It's out of state for me (travel, far from family/friends); I can't justify going, except that it's ranked higher than the rest of my schools.

Can anyone offer some insight or advice?

nikenike23

Postby nikenike23 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 pm

I applied mid december and got in a couple weeks later (early jan)..161 and 3.8.

the weird thing is I still haven't gotten any scholarship info..I called a couple times and they pretty much said that might mean I am just not getting any..? does that seem weird to anyone considering my numbers?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:12 pm

nikenike23 wrote:I applied mid december and got in a couple weeks later (early jan)..161 and 3.8.

the weird thing is I still haven't gotten any scholarship info..I called a couple times and they pretty much said that might mean I am just not getting any..? does that seem weird to anyone considering my numbers?

No. Not wierd at all.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 pm

So, I'm going to be withdrawing this week - hopefully it'll go to another TLSer.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:06 pm

To the poster who said they had a 161 and 3.8, I had the same GPA and point higher on the LSAT, and I received 25K/year. You should get something.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

benburns214 wrote:
cwboyzz34 wrote:Does anyone know if Miami gives out a travel stipend? I'm from Ohio and I want to visit, but it is obviously going to be expensive to visit.

Nope... I sent an email asking about it and they replied with "Unfortunately we do not offer a travel stipend/partial travel reimbursement to attend the Law Day for Admitted Students."

It makes sense really though if you think about it... alot of law schools that reside in hot spring break/tourist areas dont give out stipends, for obvious reasons.

That is not exactly the best logic in the world on UM's part. They should just give you an amount of money roughly equivalent to what you spend on non-discretionary expenses (gas, hotel). You can abuse a travel stipend in any college town/place that has a bar. Plus a stipend is in the form of a a check; it doesn't have to be spent in said city. You can use your own money to act destructively. What other schools in "hot spring break/tourist areas" don't give out travel stipends? I've never heard of a school not giving travel stipends to admitted students that live several states away. Weird.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Dream Machine wrote:That is not exactly the best logic in the world on UM's part. They should just give you an amount of money roughly equivalent to what you spend on non-discretionary expenses (gas, hotel). You can abuse a travel stipend in any college town/place that has a bar. Plus a stipend is in the form of a a check; it doesn't have to be spent in said city. You can use your own money to act destructively. What other schools in "hot spring break/tourist areas" don't give out travel stipends? I've never heard of a school not giving travel stipends to admitted students that live several states away. Weird.

Its not about location. Its about money. Not all schools have the money to offer stipends to hundreds of admitted students, especially if there is no guarantee that those people will actually attend the school. The few schools I have seen that offer travel stipends are either those that have tuition that is extremely high, or they are only offered to certain students (like full scholarship students). Its definately a good decision on the part of Miami. For those schools who are giving out stipends to everyone, that money has to come from somewhere. ie your tuition.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:That is not exactly the best logic in the world on UM's part. They should just give you an amount of money roughly equivalent to what you spend on non-discretionary expenses (gas, hotel). You can abuse a travel stipend in any college town/place that has a bar. Plus a stipend is in the form of a a check; it doesn't have to be spent in said city. You can use your own money to act destructively. What other schools in "hot spring break/tourist areas" don't give out travel stipends? I've never heard of a school not giving travel stipends to admitted students that live several states away. Weird.

Its not about location. Its about money. Not all schools have the money to offer stipends to hundreds of admitted students, especially if there is no guarantee that those people will actually attend the school. The few schools I have seen that offer travel stipends are either those that have tuition that is extremely high, or they are only offered to certain students (like full scholarship students). Its definately a good decision on the part of Miami. For those schools who are giving out stipends to everyone, that money has to come from somewhere. ie your tuition.

Yeah, you're right. Plus I just realized what Ben Burns meant, and how a person with no intention of actually going to UM law can just decide that they want a paid trip to Miami for the weekend. Who would want to take a vacation to Buffalo, NY this time of year (I suppose there is Niagra Falls), unless you were looking at the law school there? I didn't even think of that. I guess I am not as opportunistic as most people lol. Makes total sense though.

ashen

Postby ashen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Sent in my LOCI last week. Let's hope I get some movement soon! Been held since the beginning of Feb.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 am

Dream Machine wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:

Yeah, you're right. Plus I just realized what Ben Burns meant, and how a person with no intention of actually going to UM law can just decide that they want a paid trip to Miami for the weekend. Who would want to take a vacation to Buffalo, NY this time of year (I suppose there is Niagra Falls), unless you were looking at the law school there? I didn't even think of that. I guess I am not as opportunistic as most people lol. Makes total sense though.

I don't mean to say this line of reasoning has no merit, but Vandy's decision to pay for admitted students to come up during the St. Patty's weekend kind of throws a wrench in there. Why would Miami NOT want people to come to Miami and have a great time, even if it's on UM's dime? It seems that in UM's case, the city is actually a great selling point itself. Go ahead get drunk on SoBe, party in the grove, and imagine yourself doing so for the next three years (hint, hint). I think it comes down to downright frugality on their part rather than an overriding concern that people are going to use the stipend for a free trip. But who knows?!

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 am

salsahips wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:

I don't mean to say this line of reasoning has no merit, but Vandy's decision to pay for admitted students to come up during the St. Patty's weekend kind of throws a wrench in there. Why would Miami NOT want people to come to Miami and have a great time, even if it's on UM's dime? It seems that in UM's case, the city is actually a great selling point itself. Go ahead get drunk on SoBe, party in the grove, and imagine yourself doing so for the next three years (hint, hint). I think it comes down to downright frugality on their part rather than an overriding concern that people are going to use the stipend for a free trip. But who knows?!

Good, valid point. It's hard to determine their reasoning, but either way it sucks that they won't even help with my $800 dollar plane ticket :(

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 am

benburns214 wrote:
Good, valid point. It's hard to determine their reasoning, but either way it sucks that they won't even help with my $800 dollar plane ticket :(

Jeez, are you flying from Europe?!?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”