U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cutecarmel

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm

salsahips wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:
salsahips wrote: Just because what little information you can gather from reading posts about a candidate does not stack up to your stats does not mean they are a weaker candidate.

I am pretty sure he is stronger than I am, and I got accepted back in November.

Maybe we can see each other at admitted students day and he can tell me how much better he is than I am. I think I would really like that.

I almost couldn't sense the sarcasm.

lol. Yea I'm thinking "wow he's pretty insecure.......oh wait."

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Wcu wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:Accepted. 25k per year with a 3.2 stip.

How long did it take for you to hear back about scholarship info

Two weeks. But it was different for everyone. The batch went out at the same time for everyone before Christmas break.

koshermamba

Postby koshermamba » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 pm

ACCEPTED. Sending in my deposit sometime in the next two weeks.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Making a trip over there this weekend and am planning to use the bulk of my time searching for housing. Anyone have any advise on the best approach for this? Should I talk to a Realtor about showing me around some appt's or should I visit a website that shows a bunch of listings and search on my own?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Prospect wrote:Making a trip over there this weekend and am planning to use the bulk of my time searching for housing. Anyone have any advise on the best approach for this? Should I talk to a Realtor about showing me around some appt's or should I visit a website that shows a bunch of listings and search on my own?

They gave all the accepted students from last year a housing guide that includes realtors, different neighborhoods and specific buildings to look at. Google "miami law housing guide" and the pdf of the guide should be the first link that comes up. As far as searching for roommates, besides meeting people at accepted students weekends or else where, Miami complies a master list of people looking for roommates that includes basic information for each person and a self-submitted little bio and then sends that list out to everyone looking for a roommate. You will most likely get an updated housing guide for this year and information about the roommate list farther along in the process.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
Prospect wrote:Making a trip over there this weekend and am planning to use the bulk of my time searching for housing. Anyone have any advise on the best approach for this? Should I talk to a Realtor about showing me around some appt's or should I visit a website that shows a bunch of listings and search on my own?

They gave all the accepted students from last year a housing guide that includes realtors, different neighborhoods and specific buildings to look at. Google "miami law housing guide" and the pdf of the guide should be the first link that comes up. As far as searching for roommates, besides meeting people at accepted students weekends or else where, Miami complies a master list of people looking for roommates that includes basic information for each person and a self-submitted little bio and then sends that list out to everyone looking for a roommate. You will most likely get an updated housing guide for this year and information about the roommate list farther along in the process.

I talked to Alex Schultes and he said he hasn't updated yet but he will soon.

cass1230

Postby cass1230 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 pm

flem wrote:
cass1230 wrote:Applied in early December and got accepted, no word from scholarships though :( sent an email asking about it early this week and still no reply

I did the same thing, they told me I wasn't going to be offered anything, which is why I withdrew.

3.01/162

I still haven't received a reply.

3.4/158 but have a history with UM :/

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:43 pm

If your budget is around 1000-1100, 500 Brickel Avenue is a great place to live with a roomate. Also,check out the Epic, the Icon, the Infinity, the Flamingo. These places are in Brickell (15 minute drive from UM) and flamingo is in Miami Beach 20 minute drive. Im a native here and im telling you, these apartments are fine for commuting to UM. u dont want to live in the gables.

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 pm

cass1230 wrote:
flem wrote:
cass1230 wrote:Applied in early December and got accepted, no word from scholarships though :( sent an email asking about it early this week and still no reply

I did the same thing, they told me I wasn't going to be offered anything, which is why I withdrew.

3.01/162

I still haven't received a reply.

3.4/158 but have a history with UM :/

You are 1000000 percent getting in. Friend just got in with a 2.9 158

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 pm

jlz111 wrote:If your budget is around 1000-1100, 500 Brickel Avenue is a great place to live with a roomate. Also,check out the Epic, the Icon, the Infinity, the Flamingo. These places are in Brickell (15 minute drive from UM) and flamingo is in Miami Beach 20 minute drive. Im a native here and im telling you, these apartments are fine for commuting to UM. u dont want to live in the gables.

LOL at the bold. There is nothing wrong with living in the gables, especially your first year where you spend more time at school mostly than you do as a 2L or 3L. There are plenty of nice places in the Gables and come with a much lower rent than places in Brickell. Places close to school (aka right across from UM) can approach Brickell rent price but you are paying for being that close to school. There are plenty of nice places in the Gables that run in the 1500-1800 range for 2br/2ba that are about 10 minutes from school with traffic. Also LOL at Brickell being 15 minute drive to UM and Miami Beach at being a 20 minute drive on most days. I couldn't even imagine commuting from Miami Beach as a 1L every day with the terrible terrible traffic around here. Brickell is not as bad and I know plenty of people that do it but never underestimate the traffic around here. I live in the gables now and have no complaints. I know plenty of 1Ls that live in both Brickell and the gables. People's decisions should come down to how close you want to be to school and how much money you can afford for rent mainly.

TL;DR Plenty of nice places in the Gables for those who prefer to be a bit closer to school their first year

cass1230

Postby cass1230 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
jlz111 wrote:If your budget is around 1000-1100, 500 Brickel Avenue is a great place to live with a roomate. Also,check out the Epic, the Icon, the Infinity, the Flamingo. These places are in Brickell (15 minute drive from UM) and flamingo is in Miami Beach 20 minute drive. Im a native here and im telling you, these apartments are fine for commuting to UM. u dont want to live in the gables.

LOL at the bold. There is nothing wrong with living in the gables, especially your first year where you spend more time at school mostly than you do as a 2L or 3L. There are plenty of nice places in the Gables and come with a much lower rent than places in Brickell. Places close to school (aka right across from UM) can approach Brickell rent price but you are paying for being that close to school. There are plenty of nice places in the Gables that run in the 1500-1800 range for 2br/2ba that are about 10 minutes from school with traffic. Also LOL at Brickell being 15 minute drive to UM and Miami Beach at being a 20 minute drive on most days. I couldn't even imagine commuting from Miami Beach as a 1L every day with the terrible terrible traffic around here. Brickell is not as bad and I know plenty of people that do it but never underestimate the traffic around here. I live in the gables now and have no complaints. I know plenty of 1Ls that live in both Brickell and the gables. People's decisions should come down to how close you want to be to school and how much money you can afford for rent mainly.

TL;DR Plenty of nice places in the Gables for those who prefer to be a bit closer to school their first year

take it from another miami native, i HIGHLY doubt any 1L would want to live in Brickell/Beach...cost of car, gas, insurance, apt, maintenance PLUS daily traffic are NOT worth it in my opinion.

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

my friends who attend UM now love living in brickell. Place to be. Laugh all you want. You are driving to school at 730 for 8am classes from brickell (no traffic), and you are probably leaving school at 7..8..9...10 with no traffic. it takes 15 minutes. Miami Beach is pushing it, i admit, but people do it. Also, your going to need a car in Miami regardless.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:00 pm

jlz111 wrote:my friends who attend UM now love living in brickell. Place to be. Laugh all you want. You are driving to school at 730 for 8am classes from brickell (no traffic), and you are probably leaving school at 7..8..9...10 with no traffic. it takes 15 minutes. Miami Beach is pushing it, i admit, but people do it. Also, your going to need a car in Miami regardless.

I'll admit I am moving out to Brickell next year since when I go out and drink I usually end up there and occasionally South Beach and I will not have to be at school at often. But I think it was unfair to say that you don't want to live in the Gables under any circumstances. I know plenty of people that do including myself and we make it more than work and it can be a cheaper option for those who are trying to save as much money as possible. Just pointing out that people can live in either place no problem. Brickell definitely has the edge for social and drinking activities within walking distance though.

cwboyzz34

Postby cwboyzz34 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 pm

I was accepted last week, and Miami has been the #1 school on my list since I thought about law school. The only thing scaring me is the price. Many other comparable TT schools I was accepted to have a much MORE attractive price. However, I don't think anything is comparable to living in South Beach and going to a large university like Miami. Also, I would like to practice in Florida when I am done with school. I am praying that these are my final days in Ohio. So, I am patiently waiting for some sort of merit-based/need-based scholarship.

158/3.85 (Finance, yes it is as boring as you think)

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Can you guys recommend any particular buildings on Brickell where Miami students tend to live? I want to buy, not rent. Also, a place near a metro stop would be nice, as I'd like to have the option of avoiding traffic in the mornings by taking the rail if needed.

Thank you!!

ashen

Postby ashen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Held since the beginning of the month... Sending my LOCI tonight or tomorrow morning.
We'll see how this goes......

bajafresk

Postby bajafresk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

wow i got in last week. sent me an email to check myUM status, and i got in! can't believe it.

i have a 3.15 and a 157 lsat. my lsat score was in range but not my gpa at all, i think my personal statement saved me.

i even applied late! i applied feb 6 and heard back in 2 weeks. unbelievable, super stoked because i though i wasn't going to get in any schools and was planning on doing a masters program at UF just to get my gpa and resume up. my resume by the way is stacked so that might have helped.

i go to FSU now so my loyalties are skewed, but i grew up in fort lauderdale to it would be good to go home.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am

cass1230 wrote:
take it from another miami native, i HIGHLY doubt any 1L would want to live in Brickell/Beach...cost of car, gas, insurance, apt, maintenance PLUS daily traffic are NOT worth it in my opinion.

The Miami train system is admittedly lacking. But if there was any trip that it lends itself to, its from Brickell to UM -- minimal walking, and you'll be going against the flow of traffic so you'll likely have empty trains.

I used to commute from Dadeland station (couple stops south of where UM is) to the Brickell station, and the ride would be about 20 minutes max.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:38 am

gatorlaw wrote:Can you guys recommend any particular buildings on Brickell where Miami students tend to live? I want to buy, not rent. Also, a place near a metro stop would be nice, as I'd like to have the option of avoiding traffic in the mornings by taking the rail if needed.

Thank you!!

If there was ever a time to buy in Brickell, now is it. From what I've heard, many building owners have started to rent out their condos at really low prices to the young crowd that is willing to pay a bit more to live in the Miami skyline. The situation is ripe for a buyer's market.

As for where UM students congregate, not really sure, but from the small size of UM in general, and the over abundance of condos in Brickell and Downtown I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any predominantly student-condo. A great area for access to the Brickell stop is anywhere south of 7th street, north of 15th rd -- and east of 2nd ave basically till you hit the water.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:42 am

salsahips wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any predominantly student-condo.

The people that I know currently living in Brickell tend to be spread out amongst a good number of buildings. Not really a go-to building for law students in particular. I fully endorse everything else salsahips has said on the other topics as well.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 am

Withdrawing makes me sad. :(

But, that'll free up 75k for another student. Good luck to all of you.

MissMock

Postby MissMock » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 am

Where do most 1Ls live? I am completely unfamiliar with Miami, but from what I've read on the Class of 2014 facebook page from last year, it seems that most live in Brickell or Coral Gables. Is this true?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:18 pm

MissMock wrote:Where do most 1Ls live? I am completely unfamiliar with Miami, but from what I've read on the Class of 2014 facebook page from last year, it seems that most live in Brickell or Coral Gables. Is this true?

This is mostly true. The vast majority of my friends live in either Brickell or the Gables. The people who live in the Gables either live right near school in buildings such as University Inn or Ludlum Apartments (there are other buildings as well) or near Miracle Mile in the various buildings there (about 10 minute drive to school depending on traffic). The people that live in Brickell are spread out amongst several different buildings. If you go to ASW one of the days is almost exclusively focused on housing so they should be able to answer most of your questions there on housing and provide you with a very helpful housing guide.

bajafresk

Postby bajafresk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
MissMock wrote:Where do most 1Ls live? I am completely unfamiliar with Miami, but from what I've read on the Class of 2014 facebook page from last year, it seems that most live in Brickell or Coral Gables. Is this true?

This is mostly true. The vast majority of my friends live in either Brickell or the Gables. The people who live in the Gables either live right near school in buildings such as University Inn or Ludlum Apartments (there are other buildings as well) or near Miracle Mile in the various buildings there (about 10 minute drive to school depending on traffic). The people that live in Brickell are spread out amongst several different buildings. If you go to ASW one of the days is almost exclusively focused on housing so they should be able to answer most of your questions there on housing and provide you with a very helpful housing guide.

hey iceman, i thought you stated earlier in this thread that 1L's are smarter to and should live in the gables close to campus so they could walk to school since they'll be spending most of their time there. In your experience, do a lot of 1L's live their freshman year in Brickell or closer to campus? The standard of living in Brickell is better than close to campus, no doubt, i plan on living there my second and third year, but do you know anyone who lived in brickell their 1st year and had no regrets? debating whether or not where to live hmmm, thanks for any feedback

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:53 pm

bajafresh wrote:hey iceman, i thought you stated earlier in this thread that 1L's are smarter to and should live in the gables close to campus so they could walk to school since they'll be spending most of their time there. In your experience, do a lot of 1L's live their freshman year in Brickell or closer to campus? The standard of living in Brickell is better than close to campus, no doubt, i plan on living there my second and third year, but do you know anyone who lived in brickell their 1st year and had no regrets? debating whether or not where to live hmmm, thanks for any feedback

I want just to clarify a little bit what I said. You dont have to be within WALKING distance to be close. Being a 5+ minute drive away is about the same thing.

As to your question, the people that I know that are living in Brickell right now do not regret it whatsoever. But they made their decision knowing how far away they are from school and that their commute would not be as easy as it would be if they lived closer to school. While I would go as far as to really recommend not living in Miami Beach their 1L year, living in Brickell is just fine for 1Ls and have a lot of advantages for social life. When I decided that I wanted to live in the Gables my first year I did it because I wanted to be closer to school. That was a personal choice. Either the Gables or Brickell is more than manageable your first year, you just have to figure out what YOU want in terms of housing your first year. Things like money and desire to be close to school is going to depend on each person. If you want to live in Brickell your first year, have the budget for it, and dont mind a longer commute than I would say go right ahead!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”