U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
salsahips

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 am

same here, just got the acceptance via MyUM today

got my account login info on 11/22

any word on scholarships?

akarenina

Postby akarenina » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am

Accepted! :)
Got an e-mail this morning saying "check your myUM account for updates"

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am

Accepted this morning as well :) I saw that they start to hand out scholarship late December so hopefully we'll start hearing soon.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Did anyone else apply for Miami Scholars?

many9

Postby many9 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Accepted this morning as well!

pb0820a

Postby pb0820a » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Can someone please tell me their numbers? I went complete last week and the wait is killing.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Last edited by salsahips on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 pm

3.6/168

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:05 am

3.9/161

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 am

161/3.66

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 am

Hey guys. I'm currently a 1L at Miami. Just taking a study break to say good luck to everyone applying. At this time last year I don't think my browser ever left this forum.

Miami?

Postby Miami? » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 am

gatorlaw wrote:Did anyone else apply for Miami Scholars?

Gatorlaw, I applied for Miami Scholars...

Miami?

Postby Miami? » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Any thoughts on UM's recent steep decline to #77? Reasons for that?

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Miami? wrote:

Any idea when they'll start reviewing our apps for MS? Or even what the avg stats of scholars are? I searched but couldn't find anything on their profiles about #s.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Miami? wrote:Any thoughts on UM's recent steep decline to #77? Reasons for that?

Yea that was actually a question someone asked at our Admitted Student Day. Apparently it has something to do with unemployment. US News now considers anyone still in school after 3 years as unemployed, but a lot of people at Miami do joint degrees that take longer than 3 years to get. So anyone in their 4th year here negatively affects the rankings.
Miami also has their "Legal Corps" where grads do public work and get paid by the school. They also count as unemployed.

At least that was their argument.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:33 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Miami? wrote:Any thoughts on UM's recent steep decline to #77? Reasons for that?

Yea that was actually a question someone asked at our Admitted Student Day. Apparently it has something to do with unemployment. US News now considers anyone still in school after 3 years as unemployed, but a lot of people at Miami do joint degrees that take longer than 3 years to get. So anyone in their 4th year here negatively affects the rankings.
Miami also has their "Legal Corps" where grads do public work and get paid by the school. They also count as unemployed.

Wouldn't expect anything less than a well thought out justification lol.

We need to bring some to this thread guys, come on! Any current students able to dish out any helpful information, such as good areas for off-campus housing?

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Prospect wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

We need to bring some to this thread guys, come on! Any current students able to dish out any helpful information, such as good areas for off-campus housing?

If you're looking for apartments right off campus - University Inn, Red Road Commons, and The Cloisters are places you can look into.
I also know a lot of people who live in Brickell and off of Miracle Mile. Really, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how far you're willing to commute.
Anywhere in Brickell is really nice, but the traffic usually sucks. A lot of people that live there tend to take the metro to and from campus.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:35 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Prospect wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

If you're looking for apartments right off campus - University Inn, Red Road Commons, and The Cloisters are places you can look into.
I also know a lot of people who live in Brickell and off of Miracle Mile. Really, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how far you're willing to commute.
Anywhere in Brickell is really nice, but the traffic usually sucks. A lot of people that live there tend to take the metro to and from campus.

Looking for somewhere safe (I'm getting married and the wife has concerns about "Miami") and somewhat affordable. Don't really mind a 20-30 min commute, looking to spend around $800. Just need a loft or 1Br 1 Ba but from what I'm coming across that is being optimistic.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Prospect wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Prospect wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

Looking for somewhere safe (I'm getting married and the wife has concerns about "Miami") and somewhat affordable. Don't really mind a 20-30 min commute, looking to spend around $800. Just need a loft or 1Br 1 Ba but from what I'm coming across that is being optimistic.

I currently attend UF. But I was born and raised in Miami. I can tell you that city is massive, any concerns about safety really depends on where you're living. I can say that most of the communities are safe. And you will know when you're not in a safe community. Around the UM campus, there is really only one sketchy area, but its a REALLY small section of the city of South Miami (which is actually overall a really nice city and definitely one of the first places you should start looking at.) There is also a section of Coconut Grove, which is close to UM, that is not a good area. What is funny is that both of these areas are literally blocks from mansions.

Getting further from UM, pretty much anything west is a good area. The further west you go the "newer" the developments get. Further east its kind of good til you start hitting downtown and you again get into interspersed areas of poor and rich. Eventually you hit the coast which is pretty much all high-rise condos.

I saw a map of Tallahassee that someone made in a previous cycle, I was thinking of doing the same for Miami and Gainesville. I'll let you know if I do.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Accepted 3.40/160

Got my package in the mail yesterday. Hoping to get a scholly but my lsat might be a bit low for it :(

Miami?

Postby Miami? » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:04 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
Miami? wrote:

Any idea when they'll start reviewing our apps for MS? Or even what the avg stats of scholars are? I searched but couldn't find anything on their profiles about #s.

No idea! I did call them when I learned I had been accepted - sometime in early November - and asked them about it. They said "spring" which isn't very specific!

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Congrats to everyone accepted!

To the 1L taking questions:

1. How much is tuition per year? I am admittedly too lazy to find my acceptance packet which is somewhere in my messy room to see if there is anything about that.

2. How easy is it to hold onto scholarships? And to what extent does UM "stack" sections?

Muchas gracias.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Congrats to everyone accepted!

To the 1L taking questions:

1. How much is tuition per year? I am admittedly too lazy to find my acceptance packet which is somewhere in my messy room to see if there is anything about that.

2. How easy is it to hold onto scholarships? And to what extent does UM "stack" sections?

Muchas gracias.

1. It comes out to just around 40k/yr.

2. I think 45% of the 1L class gets Bs and up. You need a 3.2 to hold onto your scholarship. Take that for what it's worth, but I'm only in my first semester and haven't gotten any grades yet.
As for stacking, the sections seem pretty balanced to me. The school sends out an email closer to the start of classes asking you to "rank" your choice for your Elements class (don't ask, still no idea what the class is about..) The Elements class you get determines which section you'll be in.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:05 am

Do you think speaking Spanish will put people at an advantage in finding jobs in the Miami area. Do you know of a "Spanish for Lawyers" class?

SixStrings11 wrote:Hey guys. I'm currently a 1L at Miami. Just taking a study break to say good luck to everyone applying. At this time last year I don't think my browser ever left this forum.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:49 am

cutecarmel wrote:Do you think speaking Spanish will put people at an advantage in finding jobs in the Miami area. Do you know of a "Spanish for Lawyers" class?

SixStrings11 wrote:Hey guys. I'm currently a 1L at Miami. Just taking a study break to say good luck to everyone applying. At this time last year I don't think my browser ever left this forum.

I'm not aware of a Spanish course. I'm sure speaking Spanish can be helpful down here, but I don't see it as putting anyone at an advantage. Then again, I guess it depends on where in Miami you're applying. I personnally speak very little Spanish.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”