U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreambig
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:21 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby dreambig » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Just checked the my.um site and had a saw a hug Congratulations! and acceptance letter. Looking forward to hearing about scholly info...

User avatar
westcoast
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby westcoast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 am

dreambig wrote:Just checked the my.um site and had a saw a hug Congratulations! and acceptance letter. Looking forward to hearing about scholly info...


Congrats!

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby benburns214 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Anyone know how long they continue to award the Miami Scholars scholarship? I'd really like to increase my odds of getting that scholarship in any way possible.

champion_for_justice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby champion_for_justice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Accepted!

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby benburns214 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:54 pm

champion_for_justice wrote:Accepted!


Congrats! party time

Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Dream Machine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 pm

About Miami Scholars: I had some guy call me a few weeks back to interview me for it. I am almost positive I didn't get it because he pretty much called me out of the blue while I was on my lunch break and didn't have any time to prepare and had no idea what to expect. I don't do that well in imprmptu interviews I guess. I would venture and guess that I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I probably didn't get it, or I would have heard by now. I read somewhere on this thread though that it is only 1000 dollars per year. Is that true?

EDIT: Nevermind, I read it wrong. It is actually 1,000 more than their $25,000 scholarship, so it is 26,000 per year. Reading comprehension fail.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Dream Machine wrote:About Miami Scholars: I had some guy call me a few weeks back to interview me for it. I am almost positive I didn't get it because he pretty much called me out of the blue while I was on my lunch break and didn't have any time to prepare and had no idea what to expect. I don't do that well in imprmptu interviews I guess. I would venture and guess that I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I probably didn't get it, or I would have heard by now. I read somewhere on this thread though that it is only 1000 dollars per year. Is that true?


It's 26k per year with a 3.0 stip

Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Dream Machine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:About Miami Scholars: I had some guy call me a few weeks back to interview me for it. I am almost positive I didn't get it because he pretty much called me out of the blue while I was on my lunch break and didn't have any time to prepare and had no idea what to expect. I don't do that well in imprmptu interviews I guess. I would venture and guess that I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I probably didn't get it, or I would have heard by now. I read somewhere on this thread though that it is only 1000 dollars per year. Is that true?


It's 26k per year with a 3.0 stip


Yeah I read the post wrong. See my edit.

So the $26,000 (with a 3.0 stip) would be in lieu of the standard $25,000 merit scholarship (with a 3.2 stip). Can one reasonably speculate that the school has an incentive to award Miami Scholars to someone already receiving a scholarship of $25,000 to further entice someone with that caliber of numbers to choose Miami Law?

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:About Miami Scholars: I had some guy call me a few weeks back to interview me for it. I am almost positive I didn't get it because he pretty much called me out of the blue while I was on my lunch break and didn't have any time to prepare and had no idea what to expect. I don't do that well in imprmptu interviews I guess. I would venture and guess that I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I probably didn't get it, or I would have heard by now. I read somewhere on this thread though that it is only 1000 dollars per year. Is that true?


It's 26k per year with a 3.0 stip


Yeah I read the post wrong. See my edit.

So the $26,000 (with a 3.0 stip) would be in lieu of the standard $25,000 merit scholarship (with a 3.2 stip). Can one reasonably speculate that the school has an incentive to award Miami Scholars to someone already receiving a scholarship of $25,000 to further entice someone with that caliber of numbers to choose Miami Law?


It's a possibility but I'm not sure whether that's the rule or the exception. I was awarded the 25k and then offered MS. I tried to negotiate more $ and they said no. Probably won't attend unless they increase the award, to be honest.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I cannot believe that they wouldn't negotiate w/ someone who has a T14 acceptance. That is crazy. They should be rolling out the red carpet to get you, not shackling you w/ stips.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:58 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 am

more money=more scholarships
less money=less scholarships

gatorlaw wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:I cannot believe that they wouldn't negotiate w/ someone who has a T14 acceptance. That is crazy. They should be rolling out the red carpet to get you, not shackling you w/ stips.


I really really really want to go to Miami, but I can't give up a T14 for a scholarship with that stip. Heck, I even got a better $ offer from UF. I genuinely don't know what their plan is over at the admissions office because all of my friends from UF are being offered better scholarships there than at UMiami.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:49 am

cutecarmel wrote:more money=more scholarships
less money=less scholarships

gatorlaw wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:I cannot believe that they wouldn't negotiate w/ someone who has a T14 acceptance. That is crazy. They should be rolling out the red carpet to get you, not shackling you w/ stips.


I really really really want to go to Miami, but I can't give up a T14 for a scholarship with that stip. Heck, I even got a better $ offer from UF. I genuinely don't know what their plan is over at the admissions office because all of my friends from UF are being offered better scholarships there than at UMiami.


more scholarships= greater % of students inevitably losing said scholarships after 1L due to the 3.2 stip.

User avatar
koshermamba
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby koshermamba » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:03 pm

champion_for_justice wrote:Accepted!


Congratulations! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear from them..

Benjamin1987
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Benjamin1987 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Accepted online. Whats the time frame most hear about financial aid in?

User avatar
westcoast
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby westcoast » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:Accepted online. Whats the time frame most hear about financial aid in?


I've been waiting for about 3 weeks. So I guess it can take at least that long.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:Accepted online. Whats the time frame most hear about financial aid in?


I was accepted in October and didn't receive a scholarship until December. There is no typical time frame; it just depends on when they meet to make scholarship decisions.

champion_for_justice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby champion_for_justice » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 pm

koshermamba wrote:
champion_for_justice wrote:Accepted!

Thanks! I'm really excited about Miami. I actually applied at the beginning of Feb. and was notified two weeks later...wish all schools were that fast! When did you apply?
Congratulations! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear from them..

PhiAlphaFLBeta
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby PhiAlphaFLBeta » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Held. Mailing a LOCI tomorrow.

User avatar
koshermamba
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby koshermamba » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 pm

champion_for_justice wrote:
koshermamba wrote:
champion_for_justice wrote:Accepted!

Thanks! I'm really excited about Miami. I actually applied at the beginning of Feb. and was notified two weeks later...wish all schools were that fast! When did you apply?
Congratulations! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear from them..


I applied back in early January. I'm not too sure when they will get back to me but I'm hoping it is sometime within the next few weeks.

monkeysez
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby monkeysez » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Accepted 2/22/2012! No scholarship offer yet though...How long does it usually take to hear about one?

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:00 pm

monkeysez wrote:Accepted 2/22/2012! No scholarship offer yet though...How long does it usually take to hear about one?


I have no idea. I have been accepted for about 3 weeks but haven't heard anything yet regarding scholarships, and I'm really surprised ever since my numbers are really high and I've read about people on this thread receiving full-rides offers with LSAT scores and GPAs lowers than mine (and yes, I also have tons of softs).

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:40 pm

backwards54 wrote:
monkeysez wrote:Accepted 2/22/2012! No scholarship offer yet though...How long does it usually take to hear about one?


I have no idea. I have been accepted for about 3 weeks but haven't heard anything yet regarding scholarships, and I'm really surprised ever since my numbers are really high and I've read about people on this thread receiving full-rides offers with LSAT scores and GPAs lowers than mine (and yes, I also have tons of softs).


quality vs quantity

I'm sure admissions has a pretty difficult process to figuring out scholarships that a lot of people don't think about when they wonder why they didn't receive as much $ as someone else

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speranza
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:51 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Speranza » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was accepted about a month ago and still haven't received any scholarship offers. As an international student, am I eligible for the Miami Scholars? Because I know that international students are unable to apply for financial aid. Thank you.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ginawwhan, Lawl_Schoolz, notnecessarilyproper, RictusErectus, TakeItToTrial, xn3345, xnsch, Zoe107 and 16 guests