U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
backwards54

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
wolf wrote:
MissMock wrote:
backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?

I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?

Yeah they have already sent invites. You have to register your flight with their travel agency by this coming Thursday.

So, I live in Gainesville, FL (~6 hour car ride to Miami). I can either get UMiami to pay for a bus or a flight. The flights out of Gainesville are REALLY expensive though...about 300 round trip. Would it make me look bad to ask them to pay for a flight?

Do they pay for the whole flight ticket? if so fly, public transportation across Florida is crap, a direct flight is much more convenient!

Tyeger87

Postby Tyeger87 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:50 pm

I had to call today re. the scholarship conference, was told I was sent an email i never received (yes I checked spam and everything else), said it was resent and still did not receive. Hopefully I can get this info so I can make it to the scholarship conference.

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Anyone else interested in one of the joint JD/LLM programs?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:01 pm

EuroDisney wrote:Anyone else interested in one of the joint JD/LLM programs?

If I end up at UMiami, I will try to do the Triple-degree program in Tax.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am

gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:This really smart, driven guy got a 2.8 and would have lost MS under the stip too.

Ehh, I don't want to judge the aforementioned guy but I doubt my GPA would ever fall below a 3.0...or below a 3.2 for that matter. Maybe so at Yale Law, but probably not at Miami. I'm not saying UMiami isn't difficult, but generally speaking, a smaller portion of that class will be realistically vying for the A's.

A lot of 1Ls on TLS would shake their heads at this. Just because GPA/LSAT are good predictors of first year performance does not in any way mean it will be as thus.

No, I know. I'm not assuming that high undergrad GPAs or LSATs indefinitely translate into high law school GPAs, but one could argue that somebody with a 4.0 at a "difficult" undergrad where glade inflation is almost nonexistent, has cultivated a degree of work ethic that perhaps will give him/her a leg up. I know many 2 point somethings that are admitted to UMiami who have low GPAs simply because they just don't work hard enough, not because they aren't intelligent. One could argue that the lack of work ethic might be what does them in in law school, provided they don't change.

1. FIU Tuition is closer to 15/ per year.

2. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Based upon your username, I can only assume that you went to UF undergrad. Is that the "difficult" institution you are referring to when you state grade inflation is virtually nonexistent?!?! Really? I would venture and guess that depending upon your major, it is rampant there undergrad. I know for a fact that in many programs there, grades are not inflated, but in others, not so much. Grade inflation is present at some of the best schools in the country. An expose published a few years ago had a study that showed roughly half of all grades given out at Harvard were grades of 'A'.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Managed to increase my scholarship!! :D
How hard it is to maintain a 3.0? I have never had grades based on a curve before.... This means I have to be in the top what?
Will have some very difficult decisions to make... :|

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Unagi wrote:Managed to increase my scholarship!! :D
How hard it is to maintain a 3.0? I have never had grades based on a curve before.... This means I have to be in the top what?

Congrats Unagi!! How did you manage that?

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 pm

gatorlaw wrote:

hahaha I knew you were going to ask!
PM'd you! :D

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Unagi wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:

hahaha I knew you were going to ask!
PM'd you! :D

haha I want to go to UMiami...so badly...if only they'd give me more cash. Sigh.

Tyeger87

Postby Tyeger87 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:26 pm

anyone headed to the scholarship conference?

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 am

Do you need to have filled out the FAFSA form to receive scholarships? And either way, how long after you all have filled out your FAFSA have you received your "award package" regarding loan info. and such?

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:06 am

Prospect wrote:Do you need to have filled out the FAFSA form to receive scholarships? And either way, how long after you all have filled out your FAFSA have you received your "award package" regarding loan info. and such?

Doesn't matter. Statistically speaking, there is a good chance you will lose that scholarship pretty fast. Seems like they gave a pretty good portion of their acceptances the 25K/year, w/ top 1/3 stipulation..., and I mean every person above a certain threshold at around their median. Oh dear.

I am withdrawing my application and acceptance pretty soon, so maybe it will free up another big scholarship that can soon thereafter be taken away by default. I thought Miami was above these dirty tricks; but judging by this thread, apparently not.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 am

FreeLolita wrote:
Prospect wrote:Do you need to have filled out the FAFSA form to receive scholarships? And either way, how long after you all have filled out your FAFSA have you received your "award package" regarding loan info. and such?

Doesn't matter. Statistically speaking, there is a good chance you will lose that scholarship pretty fast. Seems like they gave a pretty good portion of their acceptances the 25K/year, w/ top 1/3 stipulation..., and I mean every person above a certain threshold at around their median. Oh dear.

I am withdrawing my application and acceptance pretty soon, so maybe it will free up another big scholarship that can soon thereafter be taken away by default. I thought Miami was above these dirty tricks; but judging by this thread, apparently not.

Major TTTTTTTT move

sknight323

Postby sknight323 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 am

Dream Machine wrote:I hate to be that guy amid all of your elation in response to your accpetances and scholarships, but here goes...

I talked to someone who received a 2.8 GPA at UM law, and worked harder in law school than he ever had for anything in his entire life, and he was promptly and politely informed that he was losing his scholarship. This guy is in my humble opinion, one of the smartest, hardest-working people I have ever met. I honestly don't know why he was going to law school, a bit of a cop-out. :? Upon starting classes, he was surprised to learn that he was surrounded by people in his section who were also on scholarship, or had particularly high GPAs or LSATs relative to the standard numbers for UM. How lucky he thought, to be be around the best and brightest of his 1L class! Well it turns out, mathmatically, it was kind of hard for someone NOT to lose their scholarship given how the curve works.

Obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt. Afterall, what I am saying is only objective fact. Although, I will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully, it will free up an acceptance and a sizable scholarship (which can promptly be revoked) for someone.

The curve at Miami pretty much curves you up. The only harsh requirement of the curve is that 5% of the class must receive a C- or lower in a given class. Beyond that, it protects you. In a class of 100, a professor could give out 5 C- and 95 A's. Obviously, that doesn't happen, and it is usually about 25% of the class that will receive an A or A-. Some of the class must receive at least a B.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 am

flem wrote:
FreeLolita wrote:

Major TTTTTTTT move

What does TTTTTTTT even mean?

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Since I received the email "Check myUM for important updates" telling me that I am accepted, I havent received any emails since then. Is that just me?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 pm

benburns214 wrote:Since I received the email "Check myUM for important updates" telling me that I am accepted, I havent received any emails since then. Is that just me?

Me too.

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:16 pm

sdphill wrote:
benburns214 wrote:Since I received the email "Check myUM for important updates" telling me that I am accepted, I havent received any emails since then. Is that just me?

Me too.

Same.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Has anyone been invited to the admitted students day later this month? I think it's on the 21st.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 pm

The next thing I received was the admissions packet in the mail.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:20 pm

westcoast wrote:Has anyone been invited to the admitted students day later this month? I think it's on the 21st.

Yeah in your admissions packet there should be an invitation for Admitted Students Day/Law Day... and its on the 23rd of March.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:47 am

It pained my soul (especially as I just looked at the weather), but just sent my withdrawal letter. Good luck everyone still waiting!

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:34 am

Tyeger87 wrote:
wolf wrote:
MissMock wrote:
backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?

I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?

Yeah they have already sent invites. You have to register your flight with their travel agency by this coming Thursday.

I didn't get the invite yet, calling monday to confirm. I got a full ride.

Did you got a confirmation or something? I wrote to their general email address earlier this week (admission@...) but no answer yet.. :x

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:35 am

tolson1 wrote:
sdphill wrote:

Me too.

Same.

Same!

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Just got Miami Scholars! Who is going to scholars weekend?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”