U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Well, yeah. A 3.2 is REALLY high in law school, a lot of people don't recognize that. I'm glad I have MS because it comes with a 3.0 stip instead.


This really smart, driven guy got a 2.8 and would have lost MS under the stip too.


Ehh, I don't want to judge the aforementioned guy but I doubt my GPA would ever fall below a 3.0...or below a 3.2 for that matter. Maybe so at Yale Law, but probably not at Miami. I'm not saying UMiami isn't difficult, but generally speaking, a smaller portion of that class will be realistically vying for the A's.


A lot of 1Ls on TLS would shake their heads at this. Just because GPA/LSAT are good predictors of first year performance does not in any way mean it will be as thus.


No, I know. I'm not assuming that high undergrad GPAs or LSATs indefinitely translate into high law school GPAs, but one could argue that somebody with a 4.0 at a "difficult" undergrad where glade inflation is almost nonexistent, has cultivated a degree of work ethic that perhaps will give him/her a leg up. I know many 2 point somethings that are admitted to UMiami who have low GPAs simply because they just don't work hard enough, not because they aren't intelligent. One could argue that the lack of work ethic might be what does them in in law school, provided they don't change.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:50 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
No, I know. I'm not assuming that high undergrad GPAs or LSATs indefinitely translate into high law school GPAs, but one could argue that somebody with a 4.0 at a "difficult" undergrad where glade inflation is almost nonexistent, has cultivated a degree of work ethic that perhaps will give him/her a leg up. I know many 2 point somethings that are admitted to UMiami who have low GPAs simply because they just don't work hard enough, not because they aren't intelligent. One could argue that the lack of work ethic might be what does them in in law school, provided they don't change.


You know how I feel about UM. I think it's a bad idea even without the stip, which is why I withdrew. But it sounds like since you won't have to pay much for COL it wouldn't be as terrible a decision as it would be if you had to pay for it. I also don't think you should waste all that hard work at a deflationary college to go to a school you may not be proud of attending. I dunno. Just think about it.

Edit: what if you get a really shitty professor who fucks you over? Just one could be enough, no matter how hard you work.

LAFish
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:58 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby LAFish » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:58 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
No, I know. I'm not assuming that high undergrad GPAs or LSATs indefinitely translate into high law school GPAs, but one could argue that somebody with a 4.0 at a "difficult" undergrad where glade inflation is almost nonexistent, has cultivated a degree of work ethic that perhaps will give him/her a leg up. I know many 2 point somethings that are admitted to UMiami who have low GPAs simply because they just don't work hard enough, not because they aren't intelligent. One could argue that the lack of work ethic might be what does them in in law school, provided they don't change.


You know how I feel about UM. I think it's a bad idea even without the stip, which is why I withdrew. But it sounds like since you won't have to pay much for COL it wouldn't be as terrible a decision as it would be if you had to pay for it. I also don't think you should waste all that hard work at a deflationary college to go to a school you may not be proud of attending. I dunno. Just think about it.

Edit: what if you get a really shitty professor who fucks you over? Just one could be enough, no matter how hard you work.



I have to agree with almost everything tennisking88 has said here. Same reason(s) why I withdrew.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby goldenflash19 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 pm

From what I've read on TLS, never count on getting good grades at any law school. Grades are a crapshoot to a certain degree, and God forbid you have a bad day on the 1 day the whole semester the exam is administered. The fact of the matter is that 2/3 of the class won't get a 3.2. If your essay doesn't really stand out from the rest of them, then you are looking a B- or whatever the average grade is. Be careful.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby surfer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Could you guys head over to the recession megapost? I understand that you're upset because the school didn't do x or didn't give you y. But we get it already. I don't enjoy this thread anymore because it's just a few people complaining.
Last edited by surfer on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby goldenflash19 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 pm

surfer wrote:Could you guys head over to the recession megapost? I understand that you're upset because the school didn't do x or didn't give you y. But we get it already. I don't enjoy this thread anymore because it's just a bunch of people complaining.


Sure, but first let me edit everything I've said and instead praise the University of Miami Law School(TM) for their never ending goal of making legal education as affordable as possible while maintaining impressive academic integrity through resilient transparency! The University of Miami Law School(TM): Our reasonable stipulations on top of our vast merit scholarships only push you to do better!

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby surfer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:00 pm

surfer wrote:I don't enjoy this thread anymore because it's just a few people complaining.


Well my goal here, and just generally in life, is to make your TLS experience as smooth and carefree as possible. So I apologize, from the bottom of my heart, that you are not enjoying this thread.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby surfer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 pm

I don't mind the points that you make. I just don't like the fact that you feel compelled to make them over and over again.

When you say something 10 times, that doesn't make it any more interesting or accurate.

Its Always Sunny
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Its Always Sunny » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
surfer wrote:Could you guys head over to the recession megapost? I understand that you're upset because the school didn't do x or didn't give you y. But we get it already. I don't enjoy this thread anymore because it's just a bunch of people complaining.


Sure, but first let me edit everything I've said and instead praise the University of Miami Law School(TM) for their never ending goal of making legal education as affordable as possible while maintaining impressive academic integrity through resilient transparency! The University of Miami Law School(TM): Our reasonable stipulations on top of our vast merit scholarships only push you to do better!


lmao haha that will probably be in their next email. Seriously though only go here if your rich, parent's are rich or have a high paying job 100% guaranteed after graduation. Them handing out 24k scholarships with a 3.2 stipulation to everyone with a 170-160 on the LSAT is a slap in the face. They hand out an abundance of scholarships knowing that people will have to lose the scholarships and they will cash in. Honestly this is TTTT practice and I was expecting better of Miami due to their highly regarded undergrad, but their law school is a different story and with them falling in the rankings I was expecting more cash to those above 75th percentiles.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:35 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Well, yeah. A 3.2 is REALLY high in law school, a lot of people don't recognize that. I'm glad I have MS because it comes with a 3.0 stip instead.




Ehh, I don't want to judge the aforementioned guy but I doubt my GPA would ever fall below a 3.0...or below a 3.2 for that matter. Maybe so at Yale Law, but probably not at Miami. I'm not saying UMiami isn't difficult, but generally speaking, a smaller portion of that class will be realistically vying for the A's.


A lot of 1Ls on TLS would shake their heads at this. Just because GPA/LSAT are good predictors of first year performance does not in any way mean it will be as thus.


No, I know. I'm not assuming that high undergrad GPAs or LSATs indefinitely translate into high law school GPAs, but one could argue that somebody with a 4.0 at a "difficult" undergrad where glade inflation is almost nonexistent, has cultivated a degree of work ethic that perhaps will give him/her a leg up. I know many 2 point somethings that are admitted to UMiami who have low GPAs simply because they just don't work hard enough, not because they aren't intelligent. One could argue that the lack of work ethic might be what does them in in law school, provided they don't change.


This sounds like it makes sense, and its what I used to think. Then I talked to a bunch of 1 and 2L's from various schools and they made me understand why this way of thinking can get you in trouble.

Basically, it all starts with the way you get graded. One paper. 4 hours. Thats your whole semester grade. No chance to try to bump your grade up, added stress knowing you have no idea how you're even doing until you take that test. And most importantly they tell me, you have no opportunity to learn how your professors grade and what they look for. So its really a bigger gamble.

I also hear that at more regional and lesser ranked schools competition can actually be stiffer because there is added pressure to rise to the top. At T14 you can graduate middle of the road and have really great job prospects, at T5 you pretty much just need the degree to at least find work. But middle of the road won't cut it at UM, especially not in this market, and especially if you're looking for a top job.

It basically came down to the same point. That its a mistake to assume that because you were really successfully in undergrad, you will excel in law school. The way of thinking is way different than what you've faced. You are literally being trained to think like a lawyer, and some people take to it more intuitively than others.

All that being said. If a scholly at UM is all you have, then take it. But sticker at any T14 is better than a full ride with that stip. I would hate to know I turned down Vandy and G'town and have to maybe pay sticker at UM for 2 and 3L if tat stip ends up biting me in the ass.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Guys, a gentle reminder. This is a thread for people who are waiting to hear from Miami. Many - if not most - of them are seriously considering the school. If you aren't one of those people, that's totes cool: but you might want to consider taking your comments elsewhere. We frown on people intentionally trolling an admissions thread.
(In other words, you've said your piece, move off of it.)

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Can you please just go away? I appreciate what DreamMachine said because it was actually a concrete example, but you've said what you had to say [multiple times] and we get your opinion. Thanks. Chao.

tennisking88 wrote:
surfer wrote:I don't enjoy this thread anymore because it's just a few people complaining.


Well my goal here, and just generally in life, is to make your TLS experience as smooth and carefree as possible. So I apologize, from the bottom of my heart, that you are not enjoying this thread.



Congrats on all the recent acceptances and scholarships!

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Honestly, I'm glad that there are people like tennisking in this thread because they've helped me see things I wasn't aware of. I think UMiami's scholarship program SHOULD be discussed by all of us who are seriously considering attending. What tennisking and people like him are saying is very true, and though it may be hard to hear, we need to thoroughly discuss these things.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:56 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Honestly, I'm glad that there are people like tennisking in this thread because they've helped me see things I wasn't aware of. I think UMiami's scholarship program SHOULD be discussed by all of us who are seriously considering attending. What tennisking and people like him are saying is very true, and though it may be hard to hear, we need to thoroughly discuss these things.


Agreed.

Also, I was raised in Miami, was admitted to UM, and received a full tuition scholarship - I don't think its a stretch to assume my views are somewhat relevant. Just cause my perspective isn't a rosy one doesn't mean it shouldn't be heard. I guess its legitimate when its a "yay! I'm in awesome!" but it's trolling when its "Hey, I've been through that yay stage, and when I started looking into it and talking to people, this is what I concluded.." The fact that many of us are repeating the same thing isn't beating a dead horse, its only adding weight to what we're saying, we aren't trying to predict the Armageddon, this isn't an LBJ "Daisy" ad. We're just trying to make sure everyone goes into the situation with all the relevant information.

I can't help but heed the admonitions of those brave and helpless souls who have already entered the belly of the beast which we are ever so slowly beginning to enter ourselves.

If the topic of scholarship stips to an extremely expensive school in a bad economic climate is not a topic worthy of this thread, then what is? Some of you are actually coming across as scared adcomms desperate to quell the approaching mob. Seriously, this stuff is really important.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 pm

You're all correct that I've said everything I needed to say and will shortly fuck off.

I am not trolling, whatever your definition of the word is. I applied, was admitted, and withdrew from UM because of all the reasons I listed above. I realize I am violating a TLS rule by saying what I have said in this thread instead of another thread.

In the end I just hope surfer forgives me, because if not, what will I have to live for?

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:28 pm

No one is upset because you've posted your opinion. It is valuable, but posting it once is sufficient; more than that is overkill and annoying, especially for those browsing through your rants looking for acceptance information. Just get over your self and "fuck off".

tennisking88 wrote:You're all correct that I've said everything I needed to say and will shortly fuck off.

I am not trolling, whatever your definition of the word is. I applied, was admitted, and withdrew from UM because of all the reasons I listed above. I realize I am violating a TLS rule by saying what I have said in this thread instead of another thread.

In the end I just hope surfer forgives me, because if not, what will I have to live for?

Tyeger87
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Tyeger87 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:51 pm

wolf wrote:
MissMock wrote:
backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?


I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?


Yeah they have already sent invites. You have to register your flight with their travel agency by this coming Thursday.


I didn't get the invite yet, calling monday to confirm. I got a full ride.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:00 pm

[quote="cutecarmel"]No one is upset because you've posted your opinion. It is valuable, but posting it once is sufficient; more than that is overkill and annoying, especially for those browsing through your rants looking for acceptance information. Just get over your self and "fuck off".

Stay classy

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Hey everyone!!! Applied last year and got accepted. Went for a visit, but ended up deciding to sit out this cycle. It's a nice school, but just too expensive for me. I have a few pictures so I figured I would share them with you.

View from the Student Union
Image
Law School Patio
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:10 am

Beautiful campus. Just wish the cost of living wasn't so high....

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm

MissMock wrote:
backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?


I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?


If I'm correct, full rides are not invited as well, I think they only invite those who get specific scholarships.. (Miami Scholars, Law School Scholars, Harvey T. Reid, Soia Mentschikoff, etc.

I'm not a 100% sure though!

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I hate to be that guy amid all of your elation in response to your accpetances and scholarships, but here goes...

I talked to someone who received a 2.8 GPA at UM law, and worked harder in law school than he ever had for anything in his entire life, and he was promptly and politely informed that he was losing his scholarship. This guy is in my humble opinion, one of the smartest, hardest-working people I have ever met. I honestly don't know why he was going to law school, a bit of a cop-out. :? Upon starting classes, he was surprised to learn that he was surrounded by people in his section who were also on scholarship, or had particularly high GPAs or LSATs relative to the standard numbers for UM. How lucky he thought, to be be around the best and brightest of his 1L class! Well it turns out, mathmatically, it was kind of hard for someone NOT to lose their scholarship given how the curve works.

Obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt. Afterall, what I am saying is only objective fact. Although, I will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully, it will free up an acceptance and a sizable scholarship (which can promptly be revoked) for someone.


Just out of curiosity, do you know his GPA/LSAT? (I know that they do not always predict how well you'll do in law school but I just want to compare to U. of Miami's 25th/75th percentile)

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Prospect wrote:While I'm patiently waiting for my scholarship info I figured I'd ask for some good reasonable areas to start looking for apartments.


The Coral Gables area is in general pretty expensive. They have nice apartments on campus that are about 1000$/each month (four students, kitchen, huge living room, 2 bathrooms, they all come furnished with queen size beds), they're pretty cool and you're in the middle of Coral Gables for a reasonable price. Elseway if you really want to live on campus, I guess it depends if you have a car or not... but traffic is really horrible in Miami, if you drive to school I would recommend staying in Coral Gables/Brickell because if you go too far you never know with traffic how long it'll take you!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, cyclawps, Gaaooo, jtawil, kvnrogers, lg77, tlee13, XUMickeal and 19 guests