U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 am

surfer wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:Withdrew a few days ago. Their 3.2 stip is horrendous. They refuse to release 2010 employment stats (which they've had since last March) with any detail, and I highly doubt they'll release the detailed 2011 stats that they should receive in March. Should be a huge red flag for all of you. Ethically speaking, I refuse to pay for a school that actively refuses to disclose pertinent employment data.


Here are the 2010 employment stats. They are freely available.

--LinkRemoved--


Interesting. I can't seem to find that on the CDO site. Which section is it under?

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 am

Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 am

"Salary data is based on information reported by graduates. Of the 386 graduates reported as employed, 38% provided salary information. The median salary reported is $70,000. The overall salary range reported was between $30,000 and $160,000, with the 25% percentile being $43,328 and the 75th percentile being $100,000."

For a school that charges 40k in tuition, these stats are nothing short of awful.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby surfer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 am

I'm not sure. I googled it. But the report is very detailed and informative.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 am

surfer wrote:I'm not sure. I googled it. But the report is very detailed and informative.


I just wish they put it up on the actual website, instead of their less detailed (and misleading) "Fast Facts". The CDO website does not provide a link to these stats, even though the fast facts tell us to go there.
Last edited by tennisking88 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby surfer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 am

tennisking88 wrote:For a school that charges 40k in tuition, these stats are nothing short of awful.


I don't think these statistics are bad in any way. To each his own.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 am

surfer wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:For a school that charges 40k in tuition, these stats are nothing short of awful.


I don't think these statistics are bad in any way. To each his own.


If you don't think a 38% response rate is bad, and of that 38%, a median salary of $70,000, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Miami?
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Miami? » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 am

I was accepted in early November and still haven't heard about my MS app, so I called yesterday to inquire and they said that they haven't yet started reviewing...which I know isn't the case because of this thread. Weird.

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:07 am

Miami? wrote:I was accepted in early November and still haven't heard about my MS app, so I called yesterday to inquire and they said that they haven't yet started reviewing...which I know isn't the case because of this thread. Weird.


That is indeed weird... maybe you just talked to a secretary who was mixed up with another scholarship or something? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of... or maybe you're on some sort of "miami scholars undisclosed waiting list" and they just didnt want to tell you? But that'd be weird also because I have posted a link earlier (--LinkRemoved--) that seems to indicate they are not receiving enough applications for miami scholars.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 am

tennisking88 wrote:
surfer wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:For a school that charges 40k in tuition, these stats are nothing short of awful.


I don't think these statistics are bad in any way. To each his own.


If you don't think a 38% response rate is bad, and of that 38%, a median salary of $70,000, I've got a bridge to sell you.


I'm with you... the 38% reporting rate cannot be used to extrapolate your possible career prospects. I REALLY want to go to Miami though, for personal reasons. I got MS and a merit scholarship and I called to ask if I could perhaps keep SOME of my merit aid so as to not exceed the cost of tuition and they told me there was no way. I don't quite understand that reasoning...I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I'm somewhat overqualified for UMiami as Ive been admitted to various T14s with money.I'm telling them I'll attend for just a BIT more $ and they just turn me away. That's too bad, I really want to go. Anyone have any idea how I can negotiate with them?

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 am

gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
surfer wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:For a school that charges 40k in tuition, these stats are nothing short of awful.


I don't think these statistics are bad in any way. To each his own.


If you don't think a 38% response rate is bad, and of that 38%, a median salary of $70,000, I've got a bridge to sell you.


I'm with you... the 38% reporting rate cannot be used to extrapolate your possible career prospects. I REALLY want to go to Miami though, for personal reasons. I got MS and a merit scholarship and I called to ask if I could perhaps keep SOME of my merit aid so as to not exceed the cost of tuition and they told me there was no way. I don't quite understand that reasoning...I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I'm somewhat overqualified for UMiami as Ive been admitted to various T14s with money.I'm telling them I'll attend for just a BIT more $ and they just turn me away. That's too bad, I really want to go. Anyone have any idea how I can negotiate with them?


Wait, you got money from a T14?

If they don't negotiate with you, it becomes absolutely absurd to go. Obviously, personal reasons could trump money, but I would not be caught dead paying 14k+fees for a TT. And yeah, you are way overqualified for this position.

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 am

gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
surfer wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:For a school that charges 40k in tuition, these stats are nothing short of awful.


I don't think these statistics are bad in any way. To each his own.


If you don't think a 38% response rate is bad, and of that 38%, a median salary of $70,000, I've got a bridge to sell you.


I'm with you... the 38% reporting rate cannot be used to extrapolate your possible career prospects. I REALLY want to go to Miami though, for personal reasons. I got MS and a merit scholarship and I called to ask if I could perhaps keep SOME of my merit aid so as to not exceed the cost of tuition and they told me there was no way. I don't quite understand that reasoning...I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I'm somewhat overqualified for UMiami as Ive been admitted to various T14s with money.I'm telling them I'll attend for just a BIT more $ and they just turn me away. That's too bad, I really want to go. Anyone have any idea how I can negotiate with them?


Just mention them the name of the schools + the money they're offering you. Ever since U. of Miami is ranked something lik 76th and T14 schools are ranked 14th or less, should make them rethink. If I'm correct you had Miami scholars (26k) and a 25k merit? Maybe you could keep only the merit but have it upgraded to a fullride, as I don't think they can give you a full ride Miami scholar or combine them together

User avatar
johnpizzo
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby johnpizzo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 am

Just got accepted this morning. First response so I'm kinda relieved. No info on money yet; assuming I will get some formal info in the mail. Good luck everyone.

rockydbull
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby rockydbull » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:44 am

just got in this morning also. I agree with many above that the price does not reflect the quality but I am hoping they give me some money and I can play the that against FSU for a little money

MissMock
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:35 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby MissMock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:14 am

backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?


I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?

User avatar
Prospect
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Prospect » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:01 pm

While I'm patiently waiting for my scholarship info I figured I'd ask for some good reasonable areas to start looking for apartments.

Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 am

I hate to be that guy amid all of your elation in response to your accpetances and scholarships, but here goes...

I talked to someone who received a 2.8 GPA at UM law, and worked harder in law school than he ever had for anything in his entire life, and he was promptly and politely informed that he was losing his scholarship. This guy is in my humble opinion, one of the smartest, hardest-working people I have ever met. I honestly don't know why he was going to law school, a bit of a cop-out. :? Upon starting classes, he was surprised to learn that he was surrounded by people in his section who were also on scholarship, or had particularly high GPAs or LSATs relative to the standard numbers for UM. How lucky he thought, to be be around the best and brightest of his 1L class! Well it turns out, mathmatically, it was kind of hard for someone NOT to lose their scholarship given how the curve works.

Obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt. Afterall, what I am saying is only objective fact. Although, I will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully, it will free up an acceptance and a sizable scholarship (which can promptly be revoked) for someone.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby wolf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:46 am

MissMock wrote:
backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?


I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?


Yeah they have already sent invites. You have to register your flight with their travel agency by this coming Thursday.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:37 am

Dream Machine wrote:I hate to be that guy amid all of your elation in response to your accpetances and scholarships, but here goes...

I talked to someone who received a 2.8 GPA at UM law, and worked harder in law school than he ever had for anything in his entire life, and he was promptly and politely informed that he was losing his scholarship. This guy is in my humble opinion, one of the smartest, hardest-working people I have ever met. I honestly don't know why he was going to law school, a bit of a cop-out. :? Upon starting classes, he was surprised to learn that he was surrounded by people in his section who were also on scholarship, or had particularly high GPAs or LSATs relative to the standard numbers for UM. How lucky he thought, to be be around the best and brightest of his 1L class! Well it turns out, mathmatically, it was kind of hard for someone NOT to lose their scholarship given how the curve works.

Obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt. Afterall, what I am saying is only objective fact. Although, I will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully, it will free up an acceptance and a sizable scholarship (which can promptly be revoked) for someone.


What a shocker than Miami would stick on a top 1/3 stip on everybody who gets above a 162, and eventually, when more than 1/3 of the class enrolls with the stip some people lose out.

There is zero academic integrity here. Zero. With a 2.8 from a TT your friend is also probably fucked job wise.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 pm

wolf wrote:
MissMock wrote:
backwards54 wrote:Among you posters who got Miami scholar/other scholarships/full rides/etc

Did any of you got invites to the scholarship weekend?


I'm curious to know this as well. I got the 25k merit scholarship and no invite. I'm assuming it's only for full rides and Miami Scholars? Has anybody received invites yet?


Yeah they have already sent invites. You have to register your flight with their travel agency by this coming Thursday.


So, I live in Gainesville, FL (~6 hour car ride to Miami). I can either get UMiami to pay for a bus or a flight. The flights out of Gainesville are REALLY expensive though...about 300 round trip. Would it make me look bad to ask them to pay for a flight?

Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I hate to be that guy amid all of your elation in response to your accpetances and scholarships, but here goes...

I talked to someone who received a 2.8 GPA at UM law, and worked harder in law school than he ever had for anything in his entire life, and he was promptly and politely informed that he was losing his scholarship. This guy is in my humble opinion, one of the smartest, hardest-working people I have ever met. I honestly don't know why he was going to law school, a bit of a cop-out. :? Upon starting classes, he was surprised to learn that he was surrounded by people in his section who were also on scholarship, or had particularly high GPAs or LSATs relative to the standard numbers for UM. How lucky he thought, to be be around the best and brightest of his 1L class! Well it turns out, mathmatically, it was kind of hard for someone NOT to lose their scholarship given how the curve works.

Obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt. Afterall, what I am saying is only objective fact. Although, I will be withdrawing this week, so hopefully, it will free up an acceptance and a sizable scholarship (which can promptly be revoked) for someone.


What a shocker than Miami would stick on a top 1/3 stip on everybody who gets above a 162, and eventually, when more than 1/3 of the class enrolls with the stip some people lose out.

There is zero academic integrity here. Zero. With a 2.8 from a TT your friend is also probably fucked job wise.



If lose your scholarship, you are stuck paying sticker...That stinks.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Well, yeah. A 3.2 is REALLY high in law school, a lot of people don't recognize that. I'm glad I have MS because it comes with a 3.0 stip instead.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Well, yeah. A 3.2 is REALLY high in law school, a lot of people don't recognize that. I'm glad I have MS because it comes with a 3.0 stip instead.


This really smart, driven guy got a 2.8 and would have lost MS under the stip too.

Edit: I mean think about it. You work your ass off. Law school is not what you expected. You struggle. You end up at 2.95, right below median (I think) by the end of your first year and lose your scholarship.

Your grades are way too low for a transfer. Tuition just went up again to ~44k. And all of a sudden you're looking at 90k more in debt just to make up for your mediocre GPA, from a TT, the next two years. Barring financial help from family or whatever you'd almost have to consider dropping out altogether.
Last edited by tennisking88 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:37 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Well, yeah. A 3.2 is REALLY high in law school, a lot of people don't recognize that. I'm glad I have MS because it comes with a 3.0 stip instead.


This really smart, driven guy got a 2.8 and would have lost MS under the stip too.


Ehh, I don't want to judge the aforementioned guy but I doubt my GPA would ever fall below a 3.0...or below a 3.2 for that matter. Maybe so at Yale Law, but probably not at Miami. I'm not saying UMiami isn't difficult, but generally speaking, a smaller portion of that class will be realistically vying for the A's.

Edit: yeah, I see what you're saying. If I were in his shoes, I'd definitely drop out. That's money he'll probably never be able to repay. That or transfer to FIU, where in state tuition is ~11k

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:40 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Well, yeah. A 3.2 is REALLY high in law school, a lot of people don't recognize that. I'm glad I have MS because it comes with a 3.0 stip instead.


This really smart, driven guy got a 2.8 and would have lost MS under the stip too.


Ehh, I don't want to judge the aforementioned guy but I doubt my GPA would ever fall below a 3.0...or below a 3.2 for that matter. Maybe so at Yale Law, but probably not at Miami. I'm not saying UMiami isn't difficult, but generally speaking, a smaller portion of that class will be realistically vying for the A's.


A lot of 1Ls on TLS would shake their heads at this. Just because GPA/LSAT are good predictors of first year performance does not in any way mean it will be as thus.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Long shot hero, michelekfla, ohgosh, smashbash and 14 guests