U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tolson1
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tolson1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 pm

salsahips wrote:
Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now



Congrats!! Does that one come with any stips??


3.2 I believe, listed on Miami Law School website.

Tyeger87
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Tyeger87 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 pm

salsahips wrote:
Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now



Congrats!! Does that one come with any stips??



of course there are stips lol, that im not so happy about... but

User avatar
eb66
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby eb66 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:
salsahips wrote:
Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now



Congrats!! Does that one come with any stips??



of course there are stips lol, that im not so happy about... but



Is that a scholly you applied to, or it was granted based on your numbers?

Tyeger87
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Tyeger87 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 pm

eb66 wrote:
Tyeger87 wrote:
salsahips wrote:
Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now



Congrats!! Does that one come with any stips??



of course there are stips lol, that im not so happy about... but



Is that a scholly you applied to, or it was granted based on your numbers?


granted based on numbers, you only have to send in an app for Miami Scholars (if I am not mistaken)

tolson1
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby tolson1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm

--LinkRemoved--

You can see all of the scholarships at Miami Law, their stipulations, and how to apply.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 pm

tolson1 wrote:
salsahips wrote:
Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now



Congrats!! Does that one come with any stips??


3.2 I believe, listed on Miami Law School website.


I've probably annoyed everyone with my admonitions about the stips, but again I say, beware THE STIP.

User avatar
Intraining
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Intraining » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
Intraining wrote:
backwards54 wrote:The 3.2 seems a little bit scary to me as well. Perhaps you could write them and email and ask them if they have stats regarding how many people keep and how many people loose their scholarships?



1L here. I think last year they said that 80 percent of the people that with scholarships kept them. You'll be fine if you're willing to work hard.


Intraining, how did your first semester go? Exams? How do you like UMiami?



The first semester is always difficult from what I hear. Mine was no different. For the first month or two your head is swimming, and there's no way around it. Looking back though, coming to Miami was the best decision I've ever made. The people are great, the city is paradise, and the classes are demanding.

Exams are scheduled 2-4 days apart for two weeks, and there is more than ample time to study...I started putting my outline together the day after Halloween, and from that point on the rest of the campus became pretty dead as everyone else did the same thing.

When it comes down to it I came to Miami because of the scholarship, but looking back it would have been a mistake for me to be anywhere else. If I can help it, I'll never leave this city, and going forward I already have a solid group of colleagues that I know will be around as well. Good luck making your decisions.
....

Except for legal writing, I don't know anyone that likes it. No matter where you go, get ready to write.

Chi515
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Chi515 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 am

flem wrote:Is anybody disappointed with the admissions office communications? I've emailed with questions a couple times and never even heard back. Whenever I get someone on the phone they seem really apathetic.

Seems like you'd want to try a little harder given the fact that your school costs about $40k/year to attend at sticker, the Florida market is rough and the economy blows.



I currently go to UM (undergrad) and this admissions process for law school is HORRIBLE.

2015law
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby 2015law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 pm

This is my first post--I've been an avid reader since last year, but am wondering if I was awarded a merit scholarship, as well as offered Miami Scholars, do I just get the one worth more $$?

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Unagi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes...
I got a merit-based scholarship of 25k per year. Then I got the Miami Scholars. Will only keep the Miami Scholars... :(

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby benburns214 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm

flem wrote:Is anybody disappointed with the admissions office communications? I've emailed with questions a couple times and never even heard back. Whenever I get someone on the phone they seem really apathetic.

Seems like you'd want to try a little harder given the fact that your school costs about $40k/year to attend at sticker, the Florida market is rough and the economy blows.


I think you havent talked to the right person.... I have spoken to a woman named Shakira quite a few times and she has been more than helpful every time. Just make sure you speak to someone on the admissions staff... not just the main law school secretary.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm

I think Shakira is one of many minority owners of the Dolphins.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby wolf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now


I got a Mentschikoff today via phone call. Pretty cool.

Tyeger87
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Tyeger87 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now


I got a Mentschikoff today via phone call. Pretty cool.[/quote]

Congrats!!! im hoping to be there for their scholarship weekend

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:13 pm

2015law wrote:This is my first post--I've been an avid reader since last year, but am wondering if I was awarded a merit scholarship, as well as offered Miami Scholars, do I just get the one worth more $$?


Yeah, you only keep the highest award. I was a bit upset about this, seeing as many higher ranked schools offer full rides for similar public interest programs as Miami Scholars. The woman I spoke to told me I could get in touch with the financial aid office and see what they could do, but that it would be a rare thing if I got to keep even some of my merit aid scholarship.

Hope that helps! Are you going to the scholarship weekend next month?

Mnew22
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Mnew22 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:55 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I think Shakira is one of many minority owners of the Dolphins.


Image

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Tyeger87 wrote:recieved my scholly info today via phone call

I got the Soia Mentschikoff which is full tuition + some more perks!! i am very excited right now


Awesome! Do you mind sharing your numbers? Are you an URM?

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Unagi wrote:Yes...
I got a merit-based scholarship of 25k per year. Then I got the Miami Scholars. Will only keep the Miami Scholars... :(


Is there any difference? I mean, aside from the fact that Miami Scholars gives you opportunities for pro bono stuff and etc, but $$ speaking, both are 25k a year right?

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:23 pm

flem wrote:Is anybody disappointed with the admissions office communications? I've emailed with questions a couple times and never even heard back. Whenever I get someone on the phone they seem really apathetic.

Seems like you'd want to try a little harder given the fact that your school costs about $40k/year to attend at sticker, the Florida market is rough and the economy blows.


Hey! I know what you mean. A couple of months ago I had a very specific question about their financial aid so I emailed them. I was super polite in my email (To whom this may concern: blablabla, Best regards, etc etc) and clearly mentioned that I had looked around on the financial aid part of their website but couldn't find a response to my inquiry.

They email be back starting "Hey Myriam" (w.t.f?) I know I'm a student and everything, but all of the other law schools I have written to emailed be back my calling me "Mrs Denis" or just Myriam without the "hey!" and the only thing they tell me is to look on their website for all financial aid information. I was like, UH, have you read the part of my email where I mentioned that the info. I was looking for is NOT on your website?

2015law
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby 2015law » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:24 am

gatorlaw wrote:
2015law wrote:This is my first post--I've been an avid reader since last year, but am wondering if I was awarded a merit scholarship, as well as offered Miami Scholars, do I just get the one worth more $$?


Yeah, you only keep the highest award. I was a bit upset about this, seeing as many higher ranked schools offer full rides for similar public interest programs as Miami Scholars. The woman I spoke to told me I could get in touch with the financial aid office and see what they could do, but that it would be a rare thing if I got to keep even some of my merit aid scholarship.

Hope that helps! Are you going to the scholarship weekend next month?


Yes, I will be going. I also feel that Miami Scholars is a little underfunded for the program they tout it to be-especially for students who have already gotten some merit aid, but I'm going to give it a chance. Are you also going next month?

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby backwards54 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 am

I just got my acceptance letter!!! :) (quite surprised it arrived in the middle of the night but whatever!)

Scholarship money question : from what I've read so far in the thread, they seem to be given out the amounts they give to you via mail rather than online... however are you supossed to see something referring to scholarship money in your acceptance letter (that you see online)? Because I read it all and nothing refers to scholarship money but I'd be very surprised not to get any ever since I have a 168 LSAT and 3.88 gpa + tons of softs...

Wcu
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Wcu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 am

Just got accepted!!! Looking forward to getting the official letter with scholarship info!

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Unagi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 am

backwards54 wrote:
Unagi wrote:Yes...
I got a merit-based scholarship of 25k per year. Then I got the Miami Scholars. Will only keep the Miami Scholars... :(


Is there any difference? I mean, aside from the fact that Miami Scholars gives you opportunities for pro bono stuff and etc, but $$ speaking, both are 25k a year right?


Yeah, it's the same. Actually Miami Scholars give you 26k...
I was hoping for more money from them. :|

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Unagi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:50 am

backwards54 wrote:I just got my acceptance letter!!! :) (quite surprised it arrived in the middle of the night but whatever!)

Scholarship money question : from what I've read so far in the thread, they seem to be given out the amounts they give to you via mail rather than online... however are you supossed to see something referring to scholarship money in your acceptance letter (that you see online)? Because I read it all and nothing refers to scholarship money but I'd be very surprised not to get any ever since I have a 168 LSAT and 3.88 gpa + tons of softs...


There was nothing in my acceptance letter... I got an email a while after - "good news from miami law" - where they told me they sent a letter to me with scholarship info. I emailed them back saying it would take a month for me to receive the letter and then the lady told me I've gotten 25k per year.
From what I've seen they consider other things besides your LSAT when determining your scholarship amount.

User avatar
westcoast
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby westcoast » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Admitted recently and very happy about it. I love Miami. Good luck to everyone else who's applying.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”