U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dream Machine

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am

Damn this is actually one of the schools I would like to attend. 162 (on October 2011) and 3.81 (LSDAS). Only problem though is that I had kind of a bad day the first time I took the test (June) and I got a 154. Anyone hear anything definitive from them this week? Anyone going to the UM Open House/law school tour this Tuesday?

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:02 am

Bump for the U.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:56 pm

flem wrote:I got in with a 162/3.1, waiting to hear from Georgia State (first choice, I live in Atlanta). Admissions office said scholarship should be decent if anyone has similar numbers.

Dream Machine wrote:Damn this is actually one of the schools I would like to attend. 162 (on October 2011) and 3.81 (LSDAS). Only problem though is that I had kind of a bad day the first time I took the test (June) and I got a 154. Anyone hear anything definitive from them this week? Anyone going to the UM Open House/law school tour this Tuesday?

If it's any reassurance, I had a 148 on my record (death in the family explanation though) and I was fine.

Hey, congrats! I heard that they averaged LSAT scores though. I am actually from the S. Florida area and I applied to Georgia State, so if I get into UM, I'm pulling my Georgia state app. The only problem is that I don't really have a solid justification that I could have included in addendum regarding the 154, other than the fact that my girlfriend dumped me 3 nights before the test, which I didn't include in my app. Just out of curiosity, did you ever receive a status checker, or did you just create a cane profile? Also how long did it take before you heard an answer? Thanks for the info.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:42 pm

flem wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:
flem wrote:I got in with a 162/3.1, waiting to hear from Georgia State (first choice, I live in Atlanta). Admissions office said scholarship should be decent if anyone has similar numbers.

Dream Machine wrote:Damn this is actually one of the schools I would like to attend. 162 (on October 2011) and 3.81 (LSDAS). Only problem though is that I had kind of a bad day the first time I took the test (June) and I got a 154. Anyone hear anything definitive from them this week? Anyone going to the UM Open House/law school tour this Tuesday?

If it's any reassurance, I had a 148 on my record (death in the family explanation though) and I was fine.

Hey, congrats! I heard that they averaged LSAT scores though. I am actually from the S. Florida area and I applied to Georgia State, so if I get into UM, I'm pulling my Georgia state app. The only problem is that I don't really have a solid justification that I could have included in addendum regarding the 154, other than the fact that my girlfriend dumped me 3 nights before the test, which I didn't include in my app. Just out of curiosity, did you ever receive a status checker, or did you just create a cane profile? Also how long did it take before you heard an answer? Thanks for the info.

Like the other guy mentioned, I didn't receive a status checker, just an email saying to check my caneID for an "important update". I had to create an ID and then it brought me to an acceptance letter on the welcome screen. I received an admissions packet about a week later.

I don't know if any schools average anymore honestly. When they changed that schools only had to report the highest score (I think in '06 or so) most stopped averaging and only take your highest for their admissions index. That's just from what I've read and I'm not positive though.

I talked to one of their reps at a fair, and he said they consider all scores. Who really know though, right lol?

Marie34

Postby Marie34 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 am

Hey everyone!, I submitted my app to Miami 10/27, and other than the initial email acknowledging receipt with the CaneID, I've gotten absolutely no other emails from them. Am I supposed to be getting ones that say my application is complete/under review?

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 am

Marie34 wrote:Hey everyone!, I submitted my app to Miami 10/27, and other than the initial email acknowledging receipt with the CaneID, I've gotten absolutely no other emails from them. Am I supposed to be getting ones that say my application is complete/under review?

Hey, I called in this week. They actually don't do status checkers. The man I spoke to said that they decide on you application within a month after you submitting it, and then you receive and email to check your can id profile.

Joed1887

Postby Joed1887 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:
Joed1887 wrote:
hairstod wrote:I was just updated that my application was under review and is now on hold for further review. anyone else have any insight into this status?

I had the same message sent to me through my caneid. Does anyone know if this is indicating a waitlisting or just that my app was under further review because an addendum was submitted to my file by LSAC last week?

What are your numbers? If they are both below median it might be like a hold where they review your application after seeing who else applies.

My numbers are 2.9/170 with approx 3.8 over past 1.5 years. So I have one stat below and one above UM's medians.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Hey, I called in this week. They actually don't do status checkers. The man I spoke to said that they decide on you application within a month after you submitting it, and then you receive and email to check your can id profile.

I actually received an e-mail earlier today to the MyUM status checker. I applied yesterday.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:17 am

salsahips wrote:

I actually received an e-mail earlier today to the MyUM status checker. I applied yesterday.

You misunderstood what Lolita wrote. UM doesn't do status checkers; what you received is not a "status checker" that is characteristic of most other schools. You created a Cane ID profile, and in within a month of you attaining this Cane ID and creating a profile, they will render a decision pertaining to your application and send you an email telling you to check this status for news related to your status.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:05 am

Dream Machine wrote:
salsahips wrote:

You misunderstood what Lolita wrote. UM doesn't do status checkers; what you received is not a "status checker" that is characteristic of most other schools. You created a Cane ID profile, and in within a month of you attaining this Cane ID and creating a profile, they will render a decision pertaining to your application and send you an email telling you to check this status for news related to your status.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. And you're right, its not like the typical status checker templates from UF, G'town, U Chicago, etc...

It does have a JD Application info. section, but its just a link to "required documents" and its empty..

Eastcoast77

Postby Eastcoast77 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Does Miami offer full
Rides? Undergrad business major and was also interested in triple degree program. 3.6 164 just applied

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Eastcoast77 wrote:3.6 164 just applied

You are in, and I am confident with a scholarship.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Just got accepted today. First law school acceptance!

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Congrats! If you dont mind me asking when did you apply?

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:23 pm

MichNole19 wrote:Congrats! If you dont mind me asking when did you apply?

Sent out the application via LSAC on 11/11

My numbers are 161/3.66

(Edited because I typoed my GPA)

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Did you monitor your myUM account at all? If so did yours ever change from "View Admissions Documents Needed" with a link to LSAC? I called and they told me they had recieved everything and it would stay like that till they made a decision. I applied the same day with a little bit higher LSAT and a little bit lower GPA so hopefully I'll hear something soon!

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:38 pm

MichNole19 wrote:Did you monitor your myUM account at all? If so did yours ever change from "View Admissions Documents Needed" with a link to LSAC? I called and they told me they had recieved everything and it would stay like that till they made a decision. I applied the same day with a little bit higher LSAT and a little bit lower GPA so hopefully I'll hear something soon!

Honestly I never checked it out - I only applied because I received a fee waiver from the NY LSAC Forum. Though looking at lawschoolnumbers.com you're going to be okay as long as your GPA isn't below 3.2 or 3.1 and the higher LSAT will definitely work in your favor.

You're going to receive an email from U of M that says your account status has changed.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Just got in. Does anyone know about the cost of living in the area? Also, if you receive a scholarship, how easy is it to hold onto? Muchas gracias.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Just got in. Does anyone know about the cost of living in the area? Also, if you receive a scholarship, how easy is it to hold onto? Muchas gracias.

Congrats!!

I don't know anything about scholarships but I can attest to the cost of living as I am from South Florida. The COL in Miami is relatively more expensive than that of a college town (obv.) but it is not outrageous either. Some grad students choose to live on Brickell while others stay around Coral Gables. Brickell is probably a bit more expensive as the buildings tend to be new and it is close to downtown Miami. Brickell is a good idea if you want to get away from all the undergrads running around campus since the law school is attached to the main campus.Rent would probably run you $800-1200 for a decent 2/2 apartment that would cost $600 in a college town. In this housing market though, you could probably find a cheaper deal but I wouldn't count on that per se. Some of my friends that go to UMiami live in Coral Gables...the apartments are old, as is the area, and they pay $600 (each & excluding utilities) for a 2/2. The gables is really nice and quiet and also much closer to campus.

Hope that helps! :)

wontpanic

Postby wontpanic » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Rejected today. Looks like they may be doing it in batches.

ieyeispy

Postby ieyeispy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:06 pm

I received an email notifying me to check my status on Cane ID, this is what I got:

Your application for admission to the University of Miami School of Law has been reviewed and no final decision has been made at this time. Your credentials qualify you to be placed in a hold category and your application will be reconsidered prior to April 30th.

Did any one less get a similar message? What is this supposed to mean?

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 pm

ieyeispy wrote:I received an email notifying me to check my status on Cane ID, this is what I got:

Your application for admission to the University of Miami School of Law has been reviewed and no final decision has been made at this time. Your credentials qualify you to be placed in a hold category and your application will be reconsidered prior to April 30th.

Did any one less get a similar message? What is this supposed to mean?

It means exactly what they said. You're not waitlisted nor rejected. They'll give your application another look later on. If you really want to go send in a letter of continued interest and call up the admissions office to see if there's anything else you can provide that might help.

For more info check out: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148233

Good luck.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:22 pm

So did the website go down for everybody else?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm

No. I just got one saying to check it for an "important update". I didn't hear back from anyone until then.

Marie34 wrote:Hey everyone!, I submitted my app to Miami 10/27, and other than the initial email acknowledging receipt with the CaneID, I've gotten absolutely no other emails from them. Am I supposed to be getting ones that say my application is complete/under review?

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 am

Accepted via MyUM checker.

They didn't notify me that my status had changed at all, but I just decided to check it at random and a big Congratulations showed up on my screen.

I received my log in info on 11/18.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”