U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
genius5432

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby genius5432 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:07 pm

I am going to contain my excitement and wait for the letter. I'm old school - pre-Alexander Graham Bell old school.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 pm

lol I did the same thing.

genius5432 wrote:I am going to contain my excitement and wait for the letter. I'm old school - pre-Alexander Graham Bell old school.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 pm

tivo152 wrote:$25k/yr with a 3.2 GPA stip. Thanks, but I'm thinking the $40k/yr I got from W&L is a little bit better.

Congratulations! What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? And if your not accepting the money please let them know so it can free some up for the rest of us :)

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 am

tivo152 wrote:$25k/yr with a 3.2 GPA stip. Thanks, but I'm thinking the $40k/yr I got from W&L is a little bit better.

I know this has been brought up but I think its important enough to bring up again, particularly for those who haven't gone through the threads.

I keep hearing from everyone that the 3.2 stip should be avoided like the plague. I got a full tuition scholly with the same stip and initially I figured that since its the top 1/3, it would not be impossible to crack. But for several different reasons this should not be so easily assumed by anyone applying. I've also heard from current law students that competition can actually be stiffer at lower ranking schools like UM as opposed to the t14 because of the fact that you have to be higher in your class to have a good chance at landing a good job. Others have told me that especially given the fact that your entire course grade is literally one exam, it is a huge gamble to take - basically just because you were a good test taker in college does not mean you will write the way a certain professor prefers - and also unlike college, you don't have the chance as multiple essays/exams to get used to.

I'm guessing for those willing to go with a 25k scholly it may not be as big of a gamble because if you're willing to pay for the other 100k it probably wont be as big a deal to pay an extra 17K (since at least you know you will receive the first year scholarship). But for those considering larger packages, the stip is something to consider carefully.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:13 pm

held hostage

tivo152

Postby tivo152 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Prospect wrote:

Congratulations! What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? And if your not accepting the money please let them know so it can free some up for the rest of us :)

164/3.68

Withdrawn as of today. Good luck everyone! :D

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Just have a quick question for those of you that have already gotten accepted. On your MyUM account did it show the "visit LSAC website to view documents needed" up until the point of acceptance or was there different stages?

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Prospect wrote:Just have a quick question for those of you that have already gotten accepted. On your MyUM account did it show the "visit LSAC website to view documents needed" up until the point of acceptance or was there different stages?

i am recently applied also, and had the same situation/ question a little bit up... check it out. seems routine.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:23 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:
Prospect wrote:Just have a quick question for those of you that have already gotten accepted. On your MyUM account did it show the "visit LSAC website to view documents needed" up until the point of acceptance or was there different stages?

i am recently applied also, and had the same situation/ question a little bit up... check it out. seems routine.

Yes, that's routine. They just don't have a formal status checker. Good luck!

MsKhrystyna

Postby MsKhrystyna » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Has anyone tried to negotiate the amount of their scholarship? I got 25k a year, but I was really expecting more.

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 pm

MsKhrystyna wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate the amount of their scholarship? I got 25k a year, but I was really expecting more.

Stats?

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

MsKhrystyna wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate the amount of their scholarship? I got 25k a year, but I was really expecting more.

I was too, to be honest. I would LOVE to attend Miami, and perhaps just a bit more money would do it for me. How would one even approach the issue?

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 pm

gatorlaw wrote:

I was too, to be honest. I would LOVE to attend Miami, and perhaps just a bit more money would do it for me. How would one even approach the issue?

I would guess that you would say just that to the admissions office - that you would love to go, but wont be able to unless the give you more dinero. It certainly can't hurt.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I imagine that the admissions office would have to be expecting students to try to negotiate; so few students have full tuition offers, and it seems like it's 25K or full with not much between. I'm most likely looking at 25K, though I've received a lot more generous offers from higher ranked schools. I can't see a lot of qualified people who have several options going to UM if the school won't negotiate.

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Got the scholarship letter in the mail today, $25k/year, 3.2 stip, yadda yadda

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Got my letter today as well: 25,000 per year with a 3.2 stipulation.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Anyone else getting nervous about how many 25k/3.2 schollies they're dishing out? Either we're not representative of their applicant pool, or a lot of 1Ls are going to lose their money next year.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Anyone else getting nervous about how many 25k/3.2 schollies they're dishing out? Either we're not representative of their applicant pool, or a lot of 1Ls are going to lose their money next year.

Dude. Go to GULC. Do not take anything less than a full ride at the U.

Edit: Or go to Michigan. Unless you absolutely MUST stay in the Miami area.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Anyone else getting nervous about how many 25k/3.2 schollies they're dishing out? Either we're not representative of their applicant pool, or a lot of 1Ls are going to lose their money next year.

Haha a lot of people keep telling me that. I'd love to go to Georgetown but the heavy debt is a bit daunting, which is why I'm not ruling out Miami. Obviously, I'm leaning more towards GULC unless Miami comes back with more $. We'll see what happens

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:

Haha a lot of people keep telling me that. I'd love to go to Georgetown but the heavy debt is a bit daunting, which is why I'm not ruling out Miami. Obviously, I'm leaning more towards GULC unless Miami comes back with more $. We'll see what happens

Don't like to be a hater on the Miami 2015 thread but even Michigan at sticker price vs. Miami full ride is a no-brainer. Miami placement/salary stats are horribly vague, and I suspect that's for a reason. I have a friend who finished in c/o 2010 at #3 in her class and couldn't find a full-time firm job. Unless you have family or major ties to the area I would go for a T14 in a heartbeat.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:

Don't like to be a hater on the Miami 2015 thread but even Michigan at sticker price vs. Miami full ride is a no-brainer. Miami placement/salary stats are horribly vague, and I suspect that's for a reason. I have a friend who finished in c/o 2010 at #3 in her class and couldn't find a full-time firm job. Unless you have family or major ties to the area I would go for a T14 in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your input man. Between Michigan and GULC, I'd go with GULC for various reasons. I was raised in South Florida though, and I would love to work there in the long run. I'm very torn between UMiami and GULC, so I'm just weighing the options as of now. Good luck with your cycle!

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for your input man. Between Michigan and GULC, I'd go with GULC for various reasons. I was raised in South Florida though, and I would love to work there in the long run. I'm very torn between UMiami and GULC, so I'm just weighing the options as of now. Good luck with your cycle![/quote]

You do realize that going to Georgetown or Michigan means you can work anywhere, including South Florida. I wish I had your kinds of problems - deciding between Hoya Saxa and Hail to the Victors for law school. The fact that you are wasting precious seconds on the Miami message board that should be spent on the Michigan-Georgetown decision is nauseating.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Thanks for your input man. Between Michigan and GULC, I'd go with GULC for various reasons. I was raised in South Florida though, and I would love to work there in the long run. I'm very torn between UMiami and GULC, so I'm just weighing the options as of now. Good luck with your cycle!

genius5432 wrote:You do realize that going to Georgetown or Michigan means you can work anywhere, including South Florida. I wish I had your kinds of problems - deciding between Hoya Saxa and Hail to the Victors for law school. The fact that you are wasting precious seconds on the Miami message board that should be spent on the Michigan-Georgetown decision is nauseating.

completely agree..

gatorlaw, I am in an almost exact position, I was born and raised in Miami, have a TON of connection to the city - absolutely love Miami. I received a full scholarship to U of Miami and really started to consider it, even after I received acceptances from Georgetown and Vanderbilt. But after speaking with many attorneys and law students, the choice is clear, a nationally recognized school like Georgetown will mean a much more prolific career. This is the rule, and there are obviously exceptions - but coming from people that are now in the legal market, the choice is seemingly risky ($200K+ at G-town, potentially $0 at Miami), but it actually is not. I have been told of firms in Miami fighting over less qualified individuals just because of the pedigree of their law degree over more qualified Miami law grads. I am not saying this is fair, but its how the game is played.

Also, I have posted somewhat extensively on this before. But Miami has a stip on ALL their scholarships which is a warning signal to stay away. Look to my previous post a couple pages back for a more detailed explanation, but basically, a 3.2 gpa (the stip) is not by any means a guarantee. And what would be more heart wrenching than having to pay the same amount for your 2L and 3L years at Miami and you would have paid at Georgetown??

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:12 pm

salsahips wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Thanks for your input man. Between Michigan and GULC, I'd go with GULC for various reasons. I was raised in South Florida though, and I would love to work there in the long run. I'm very torn between UMiami and GULC, so I'm just weighing the options as of now. Good luck with your cycle!

genius5432 wrote:You do realize that going to Georgetown or Michigan means you can work anywhere, including South Florida. I wish I had your kinds of problems - deciding between Hoya Saxa and Hail to the Victors for law school. The fact that you are wasting precious seconds on the Miami message board that should be spent on the Michigan-Georgetown decision is nauseating.

completely agree..

gatorlaw, I am in an almost exact position, I was born and raised in Miami, have a TON of connection to the city - absolutely love Miami. I received a full scholarship to U of Miami and really started to consider it, even after I received acceptances from Georgetown and Vanderbilt. But after speaking with many attorneys and law students, the choice is clear, a nationally recognized school like Georgetown will mean a much more prolific career. This is the rule, and there are obviously exceptions - but coming from people that are now in the legal market, the choice is seemingly risky ($200K+ at G-town, potentially $0 at Miami), but it actually is not. I have been told of firms in Miami fighting over less qualified individuals just because of the pedigree of their law degree over more qualified Miami law grads. I am not saying this is fair, but its how the game is played.

Also, I have posted somewhat extensively on this before. But Miami has a stip on ALL their scholarships which is a warning signal to stay away. Look to my previous post a couple pages back for a more detailed explanation, but basically, a 3.2 gpa (the stip) is not by any means a guarantee. And what would be more heart wrenching than having to pay the same amount for your 2L and 3L years at Miami and you would have paid at Georgetown??

I know guys, I know. It's a rough decision, but I wouldn't just tear Miami down. It does have good qualities and it IS a good option for some people. That being said, the 3.2 stip is absolutely ridiculous and judging from the amount of people receiving these scholarships, it makes me think they'll probably section stack like crazy next year. I'm going D.C next weekend for GULC's ASW and I'm very excited, hopefully that dawns some clarity over my decision. Good luck to everyone in this thread!!

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
salsahips wrote:

completely agree..

I know guys, I know. It's a rough decision, but I wouldn't just tear Miami down. It does have good qualities and it IS a good option for some people. That being said, the 3.2 stip is absolutely ridiculous and judging from the amount of people receiving these scholarships, it makes me think they'll probably section stack like crazy next year. I'm going D.C next weekend for GULC's ASW and I'm very excited, hopefully that dawns some clarity over my decision. Good luck to everyone in this thread!!

I agree with the others, but if you eventually decide on Miami, negotiate with them to at least get rid of the stipulation. My older sister went to UM law and told me she knew of quite a few people who lost their scholarships.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”