U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bmarce

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Bmarce » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 pm

genius5432 wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:If it helps, I was awarded 25k / year with a 162 and a 3.8x. I believe the next amount is a full ride, so probably one of the two. If you are AA there is a chance for a full ride, I think. The again, this is just my own strange personal opinion based on what I've observed on these TLS forums lol. Good luck! Where else are you applying?

You get added perks for being a member of Alcoholics Anonymous? Sign me up.

No but seriously, I don't know what AA stands for in this context.

African-American

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Bmarce wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:If it helps, I was awarded 25k / year with a 162 and a 3.8x. I believe the next amount is a full ride, so probably one of the two. If you are AA there is a chance for a full ride, I think. The again, this is just my own strange personal opinion based on what I've observed on these TLS forums lol. Good luck! Where else are you applying?

African-American

LOLLOOLLL!!! Use "URM" for LS references... although actual AA would make a great PS if you wrote it well.

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 pm

3 years in South Beach might send you to AA, you never know.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:56 pm

wvuchip wrote:3 years in South Beach might send you to AA, you never know.

This is true, might as well add it into the final cost haha. Just got the e-mail verifying the electronic reciept of my application in which it states they wont get a hard copy for 10-12 days. Guess I'll be on edge until then :?

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Bmarce wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
genius5432 wrote:

African-American

Ah. I see. So you're better off being AA instead of CA (Caucasian American) or HA (Hispanic American) or PI (Pacific Islander). Those races don't get financial consideration. That's a shame.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

haha you guys are too funny. What I've been told (by my adviser) is that Hispanics don't really receive a "boost" because they are very well represented at Miami law. But then again, this is all based on wild speculation by a middle aged college adviser who has never even been to Miami law.

Sidenote...I visited the school while I was home over the break (my family lives in South Florida) and I like it more and more each time I go. It would be amazing to attend. Anyone else here seriously considering UMiami now that the cycle is coming to a close?

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:10 pm

gatorlaw wrote:haha you guys are too funny. What I've been told (by my adviser) is that Hispanics don't really receive a "boost" because they are very well represented at Miami law. But then again, this is all based on wild speculation by a middle aged college adviser who has never even been to Miami law.

Sidenote...I visited the school while I was home over the break (my family lives in South Florida) and I like it more and more each time I go. It would be amazing to attend. Anyone else here seriously considering UMiami now that the cycle is coming to a close?

I'm in at other local schools with really good money, but I want to make sure the law school I attend is one that I'm a huge fan of.

Therefore, I'm seriously considering U Miami and will be visiting on March 1. If I fall in love with it, we'll see what happens.

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:14 pm

gatorlaw wrote:haha you guys are too funny. What I've been told (by my adviser) is that Hispanics don't really receive a "boost" because they are very well represented at Miami law. But then again, this is all based on wild speculation by a middle aged college adviser who has never even been to Miami law.

My family lives in South Florida as well and I am also considering the U, but I'm still waiting on a good number of my schools and I haven't received any financial aid info from Miami yet. One thing to keep in mind is that Miami is certainly a regional school and while going to Miami doesn't absolutely limit you to Florida, I think about 80% of grads stay in the Sunshine State.

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info! Is your 25k a year based on maintaining a 3.2 GPA?

I hope I get a full ride!

I am applying to U. of Miami (its my "safe" school), Harvard, Stanford, UCLA and I also got into McGill University (in Canada)!

AA... african american? I'm white lol... but I'm from Canada with my first language as French... maybe they'll consider me a language minority or something like that!

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:35 pm

backwards54 wrote:

Thanks for the info! Is your 25k a year based on maintaining a 3.2 GPA?

I hope I get a full ride!

I am applying to U. of Miami (its my "safe" school), Harvard, Stanford, UCLA and I also got into McGill University (in Canada)!

AA... african american? I'm white lol... but I'm from Canada with my first language as French... maybe they'll consider me a language minority or something like that!

That's so cool! And yes, it's a 3.2 stip, which is roughly top 1/3 of the class.

I'm an immigrant as well but my first language is Spanish (I came here when I was 12). Congrats on all the schools!! Miami was also my "safe" but I'm now really starting to fall in love with the idea of attending and living in Miami. I'm also struggling with the dilemma of paying full price for Georgetown or attending Miami with their generous scholarship, and the latter is very attractive. Best of luck!!

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Its hard to say because they seem to base scholarship money on factors besides GPA. At some schools, I've heard of people with median scores getting full rides while people with scores above the 75% receive nothing. So it really depends. Also a lot of scholarship money has already been given away by now. I applied a week or two after the application came out, and although I got accepted quickly, I didn't hear about scholarships until right before Christmas.

So basically, your chances for a full ride are probably much lower than if you would have applied early in the cycle, but you will still probably get something.

backwards54 wrote:Hey everyone who is waiting to hear from UM or already got in!

I just submitted my application yesterday (there was a huge technical problem with my transcripts with LSAC... it majorly pissed me off because the mistake was basically 100 % their fault and i was ready to apply since October but my whole file was put on hold because of that, but anyways I don't think it's too late to be considered for scholarship $$$). I was wondering if those of you who got scholarships $$$ offered could tell me how much you think they'll offer me with these scores:

LSAT: 168
GPA: it's 4.08 out of 4.3 (Quebec system.. pretty much the same as a 3.79 for the American system).

From what I've read, they seem pretty quick to tell you if you're in or not and to inform you about scholarship money so I should hear from them pretty quick but I'm dying to know so i would really appreciate if you could tell me your opinion with regards to your experience with them!

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Its hard to say because they seem to base scholarship money on factors besides GPA. At some schools, I've heard of people with median scores getting full rides while people with scores above the 75% receive nothing. So it really depends. Also a lot of scholarship money has already been given away by now. I applied a week or two after the application came out, and although I got accepted quickly, I didn't hear about scholarships until right before Christmas.

So basically, your chances for a full ride are probably much lower than if you would have applied early in the cycle, but you will still probably get something.

backwards54 wrote:Hey everyone who is waiting to hear from UM or already got in!

I just submitted my application yesterday (there was a huge technical problem with my transcripts with LSAC... it majorly pissed me off because the mistake was basically 100 % their fault and i was ready to apply since October but my whole file was put on hold because of that, but anyways I don't think it's too late to be considered for scholarship $$$). I was wondering if those of you who got scholarships $$$ offered could tell me how much you think they'll offer me with these scores:

GPA: it's 4.08 out of 4.3 (Quebec system.. pretty much the same as a 3.79 for the American system).

From what I've read, they seem pretty quick to tell you if you're in or not and to inform you about scholarship money so I should hear from them pretty quick but I'm dying to know so i would really appreciate if you could tell me your opinion with regards to your experience with them!

Yeah... I am well-aware that my chances for a fullride are lower now and that's why I am extremely frustrated with LSAC, because my file and transcript and everything were ready since October-November, but then they realized they had given me the wrong information regarding if I should give them or not my study abroad transcripts (they had at first clearly told me in an email that I didn't need to submit them so I didn't, but then they woke up a few days before Xmas and told me I had to because the study abroad was made in the US, but the registrar of my study abroad univ. was closed by then so I had to wait at the beg. of January for the registrar to summit the transcript to LSAC and everything...).

:/

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:45 pm

That's pretty weird. How long did you study abroad? I studied abroad last semester and because it was a US-sponsored study abroad program and because I only stayed a semester, I didn't have to send in my transcript. I mean I can get it to the schools that want it, but it didn't affect my application at all. Strange.

backwards54 wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:Its hard to say because they seem to base scholarship money on factors besides GPA. At some schools, I've heard of people with median scores getting full rides while people with scores above the 75% receive nothing. So it really depends. Also a lot of scholarship money has already been given away by now. I applied a week or two after the application came out, and although I got accepted quickly, I didn't hear about scholarships until right before Christmas.

Yeah... I am well-aware that my chances for a fullride are lower now and that's why I am extremely frustrated with LSAC, because my file and transcript and everything were ready since October-November, but then they realized they had given me the wrong information regarding if I should give them or not my study abroad transcripts (they had at first clearly told me in an email that I didn't need to submit them so I didn't, but then they woke up a few days before Xmas and told me I had to because the study abroad was made in the US, but the registrar of my study abroad univ. was closed by then so I had to wait at the beg. of January for the registrar to summit the transcript to LSAC and everything...).

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

cutecarmel wrote:That's pretty weird. How long did you study abroad? I studied abroad last semester and because it was a US-sponsored study abroad program and because I only stayed a semester, I didn't have to send in my transcript. I mean I can get it to the schools that want it, but it didn't affect my application at all. Strange.

backwards54 wrote:

That is SO weird. Seriously, I'm really starting to think that LSAC staff all have gotten different kind of information regarding study abroad transcripts.

In my situation, I did 2 semesters (2x 5 classes) in the US, at Florida International University. These grades are not written on my regular university transcripts and not included in my global GPA. So I wrote to LSAC earlier this Fall and explained them the situation and asked if they wanted FIU to send them a transcript as well. A first employee first wrote me back to tell me that LSAC policy regarding study abroad was that 1) if the study abroad was for a year or less = no need to send a transcript. 2) if the study abroad was in the US or Canada = you need to send the transcript. I replied to tell them that ever sit my situation fitted in both categories, that didn't helped me much. Another person replied to me that ever since it was for a year, I didn't had to send them, but if it would have been for more than a year, then in that situation I would have needed to send them (that was around the end of October).

So I did as they said, and didn't send them. THEN, they came back to me in December, telling me that I needed to submit my FIU transcript ever since it was a US school, no matter how long I studied there! I was seriously like WTF and really insulted that they didn't take directly the blame for giving me the wrong information first (they kept calling the situation "a little misunderstanding" a "some kind of confusion", as if I was the wrong confused!). Anyways.

But in my case, like I said, my study abroad grades were NOT written in my home university transcript, so that might be why they asked for it but didn't for you... were your study abroad grades written on your home transcript?

Good luck!

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Ohhhhh! You live in Canada and your study abroad was in the US...hm that might change things.
Well you still have pretty kick ass numbers, so good luck!

:/[/quote][/quote]

That is SO weird. Seriously, I'm really starting to think that LSAC staff all have gotten different kind of information regarding study abroad transcripts.

In my situation, I did 2 semesters (2x 5 classes) in the US, at Florida International University. These grades are not written on my regular university transcripts and not included in my global GPA. So I wrote to LSAC earlier this Fall and explained them the situation and asked if they wanted FIU to send them a transcript as well. A first employee first wrote me back to tell me that LSAC policy regarding study abroad was that 1) if the study abroad was for a year or less = no need to send a transcript. 2) if the study abroad was in the US or Canada = you need to send the transcript. I replied to tell them that ever sit my situation fitted in both categories, that didn't helped me much. Another person replied to me that ever since it was for a year, I didn't had to send them, but if it would have been for more than a year, then in that situation I would have needed to send them (that was around the end of October).

So I did as they said, and didn't send them. THEN, they came back to me in December, telling me that I needed to submit my FIU transcript ever since it was a US school, no matter how long I studied there! I was seriously like WTF and really insulted that they didn't take directly the blame for giving me the wrong information first (they kept calling the situation "a little misunderstanding" a "some kind of confusion", as if I was the wrong confused!). Anyways.

But in my case, like I said, my study abroad grades were NOT written in my home university transcript, so that might be why they asked for it but didn't for you... were your study abroad grades written on your home transcript?

Good luck![/quote]

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 pm

I too had Miami as my safety school and am now coming to the realization that this is where I want to be. I just sent my app out last week though, so I have yet to hear back from them. Money from UM would also be huge. Either way I'm probably there in the Fall so hopefully we can all keep in touch in this thread and and least know some of our peers prior to starting 1L.

A side-note following your side-note: This thread is starting to pick up and it's actually exciting to be able to check back daily now for new updates so lets keep it up guys!

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Prospect, I feel ya. I probably have the same exact feeling about UMiami at the moment. Was a safety, but is now looking like a great option, if not the best.

I'm also glad more people are joining the thread! I must admit though...as much as I love Miami, I don't think I'll ever actually tell people I (might)attend "TheU" lol

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Prospect, I feel ya. I probably have the same exact feeling about UMiami at the moment. Was a safety, but is now looking like a great option, if not the best.

I'm also glad more people are joining the thread! I must admit though...as much as I love Miami, I don't think I'll ever actually tell people I (might)attend "TheU" lol

This is true.. I would probably say it if attending UG but not for law school, people wouldn't take me serious lol. I'm just envisioning my status on Facebook if I get accepted and decide to attend: "I've decided to take my talents to South Beach"

zuckaz48

Postby zuckaz48 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Prospect wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:Prospect, I feel ya. I probably have the same exact feeling about UMiami at the moment. Was a safety, but is now looking like a great option, if not the best.

This is true.. I would probably say it if attending UG but not for law school, people wouldn't take me serious lol. I'm just envisioning my status on Facebook if I get accepted and decide to attend: "I've decided to take my talents to South Beach"

haha. i've been thinking about this ever since i applied

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

zuckaz48 wrote:
Prospect wrote:

haha. i've been thinking about this ever since i applied

+1!

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 pm

I just got an email from Miami informing me that I was awarded a scholarship but that the details are being sent via snail mail.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:55 pm

genius5432 wrote:I just got an email from Miami informing me that I was awarded a scholarship but that the details are being sent via snail mail.

You can call and they'll tell you your award over the phone if you don't feel like waiting. A few people in this thread did that.

And congrats!

wvu

Postby wvu » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 pm

genius5432 wrote:I just got an email from Miami informing me that I was awarded a scholarship but that the details are being sent via snail mail.

+1

Might give them a call.

tivo152

Postby tivo152 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:53 pm

$25k/yr with a 3.2 GPA stip. Thanks, but I'm thinking the $40k/yr I got from W&L is a little bit better.

vbc515

Postby vbc515 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:57 pm

I got an email today saying scholarship info was on the way so I called for it. 25k/yr. 3.6/166, in case anyone was wondering.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”