U of Miami 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Re: U of Miami 2015

Post by KibblesnBitts » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
LDW98 wrote:Just going off the top of my head - you may want to check me on this, but:

Red Road Commons I believe start at about 1600 per month for a 1/1. Merrick Park is closer to 2000 per month for a 1/1.
WOW! 1600 for 1 month?! :o
+1 - so do any law students do something along the lines of having two people living in the 1/1....just turn the living room into a second bedroom or something? Or is that only acceptable as an undergrad?

LDW98

New

Post by LDW98 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 am

I know some law students who live in Red Road Commons, although I'm not sure if they have 2 people living in a 1 bedroom, however I'm sure it can be done if you want. I've visited before, and from what i've seen they're pretty spacious.

And yeah, while 1,600 is steep, that price represents Red Road Commons, which is a newer complex that is literally right across the road from campus -- so as you venture outward prices should come down, but like I said before, make sure you do your due diligence and find somewhere safe.

Another place to check out that is cheaper is University Inn Condominiums - not sure what the price range is, but I'm almost positive it's less expensive than Red Road. It's right across the highway from campus. I know a few people who live there, and it's literally a 2 minute drive across the highway to campus, or a 5 minute walk give or take.

Be warned though, if you don't plan on having a car on campus and will have to walk places - Miami drivers are friggin nuts. Every year there's at least 1 student who gets hit by a car, and to be honest I'm shocked that number isn't higher. Even with a car it's problematic at time. In fact, that's one of the very few complaints I've had about my time at Miami. The immediate area around the campus (Coral Gables/South Miami) is home to some of the worst traffic congestion you'll ever see - it's a total clusterf**k at almost all hours of the day. Definitely have to factor that in to your commute time, if applicable.

All in all, I guess if my biggest complaint has been traffic congestion, it speaks pretty well for the school/area.

biguncled

New

Post by biguncled » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 am

Just one note, as I live about 5 blocks from the U currently, the neighborhood is pretty damn safe. I've been walking outside here in the middle of the night for years and I've never had a problem...

Also, you can find places for $700 - $900 for a decent 1 bedroom in the neighborhood, or even get it down to $400 or $500 per month if you decide to room with people and if you look a bit further away from campus. It just takes a little research and some time to make happen.

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 am

biguncled wrote:Just one note, as I live about 5 blocks from the U currently, the neighborhood is pretty damn safe. I've been walking outside here in the middle of the night for years and I've never had a problem...

Also, you can find places for $700 - $900 for a decent 1 bedroom in the neighborhood, or even get it down to $400 or $500 per month if you decide to room with people and if you look a bit further away from campus. It just takes a little research and some time to make happen.
Okay, I like to hear that

and LDW98...I've been hit by cars on two occasions so far. While not ideal, I know how to protect myself against psychotic drivers.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:39 am

i've been hit by zero cars so I'd argue I'm better at protecting myself

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 am

laxbrah420 wrote:i've been hit by zero cars so I'd argue I'm better at protecting myself
From high school until midway through college I worked in a parking lot as a cart attendant at a grocery store.....nothing beats the adrenaline rush of jumping out of the way of an Escalade driver on his cell going 25 MPH in a parking lot right in your path.

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Anyone have any idea how long it takes for them to receive an app once you send it? I'm looking to get in before the suggested deadline for the Miami Scholars application but wont be able to send my app out until tonight/tomorrow because I'm waiting for a pending LOR..

Also, I'm wondering if those of you that are applying for MS are writing both a PS and then another one for the MS or just one for the MS? Thanks in advance for any information you're able to proivde me with.
Last edited by Prospect on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Submit without the LOR. They'll get it when they come. But it shouldn't take long to hear back. Miami was the quickest turnaround for me.

I didn't apply for MS, so I can't help you with that one.
Prospect wrote:Anyone have any idea how long it takes for them to receive an app once you send it? I'm looking to get in before the suggested deadline for the Miami Scholars application but wont be able to send my app out until tonight/tomorrow because I'm waiting for a pending LOR..

Also, I'm wondering if those of you that are applying for MS are writing both a PS and then another one for the MS or just one for the PS? Thanks in advance for any information you're able to proivde me with.

Miami?

New

Post by Miami? » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Prospect wrote:Anyone have any idea how long it takes for them to receive an app once you send it? I'm looking to get in before the suggested deadline for the Miami Scholars application but wont be able to send my app out until tonight/tomorrow because I'm waiting for a pending LOR..

Also, I'm wondering if those of you that are applying for MS are writing both a PS and then another one for the MS or just one for the PS? Thanks in advance for any information you're able to proivde me with.
I applied for MS and I did two separate essays.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Suppose I'll join this thread :), accepted yesterday! The school is a little pricey, anyone knowledgable about how generous they are regarding schollys? I don't have spectacular numbers, but I'm somewhat of a unique applicant (Canadian immigrant, blah blah blah...).. Tis expensive, but tis paradise!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:23 pm

tolson1 wrote:Suppose I'll join this thread :), accepted yesterday! The school is a little pricey, anyone knowledgable about how generous they are regarding schollys? I don't have spectacular numbers, but I'm somewhat of a unique applicant (Canadian immigrant, blah blah blah...).. Tis expensive, but tis paradise!
where are you from originally?

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:19 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
tolson1 wrote:Suppose I'll join this thread :), accepted yesterday! The school is a little pricey, anyone knowledgable about how generous they are regarding schollys? I don't have spectacular numbers, but I'm somewhat of a unique applicant (Canadian immigrant, blah blah blah...).. Tis expensive, but tis paradise!

Originally from a small town east of Toronto. Lived there for 17 years before moving to the United States. (22 now).

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I am new to the party, so please excuse if this has been answered already:
I log into my Cane ID account, I click on Law School Admissions thing, and it takes me to a link which says "View Admissions Documents Needed," which I do, and it directs me to a page that says:

"You can track your documents received at the LSAC website. The LSAC website is http://www.LSAC.org"

I just submitted very recently, so I don't expect to hear back yet, but what the hell are they referring me to LSAC if my app has already been sent in? Moreover, does this mean I am missing docs, or is this standard?

Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

It's standard, as far as I can tell. Mine said tht up until I got an email to check my account and the acceptance letter appeared instead.

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:24 pm

wvuchip wrote:It's standard, as far as I can tell. Mine said tht up until I got an email to check my account and the acceptance letter appeared instead.
Thanks.

Standard as far as everyone else's experiences?

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Just submitted mine on Friday so I'm assuming I just wait for the e-mail with my caneID information and then I'll be able to check my status?

Also, this might be a bit naive but I'm relatively fresh with the whole process so I apologize in advance. Are scholarships provided to students who may not have received them for 1L but are, for instance, in the to 10% going into 2L? Or are scholarships only provided those admitted students the first go-around?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't remember when I got my cane ID, but yes, you should wait a while for the ID info because it takes a while for the file to become complete after you submit.

A lot of schools offer scholarships for 2 and 3Ls based on their rankings, involvement etc. Check the school's website under the scholarship section and you should see more info.
Prospect wrote:Just submitted mine on Friday so I'm assuming I just wait for the e-mail with my caneID information and then I'll be able to check my status?

Also, this might be a bit naive but I'm relatively fresh with the whole process so I apologize in advance. Are scholarships provided to students who may not have received them for 1L but are, for instance, in the to 10% going into 2L? Or are scholarships only provided those admitted students the first go-around?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:23 pm

tolson1 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:

Originally from a small town east of Toronto. Lived there for 17 years before moving to the United States. (22 now).
oh. i dont think that makes you a canadian immigrant

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 pm

I haven't actually checked, but they send you to LSAC because all of the necessary documents would be submited through LSAC and if LSAC is misssing documents, then the school will be to.
broncos_fan_26 wrote:
wvuchip wrote:It's standard, as far as I can tell. Mine said tht up until I got an email to check my account and the acceptance letter appeared instead.
Thanks.

Standard as far as everyone else's experiences?

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:55 pm

I never saw a "status checker" for Miami. It was either the page telling me to check LSAC for the documents they may need (even after I was positive they had everything), and then the acceptance letter page.

backwards54

Bronze

Post by backwards54 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 am

Hey everyone who is waiting to hear from UM or already got in!

I just submitted my application yesterday (there was a huge technical problem with my transcripts with LSAC... it majorly pissed me off because the mistake was basically 100 % their fault and i was ready to apply since October but my whole file was put on hold because of that, but anyways I don't think it's too late to be considered for scholarship $$$). I was wondering if those of you who got scholarships $$$ offered could tell me how much you think they'll offer me with these scores:

LSAT: 168
GPA: it's 4.08 out of 4.3 (Quebec system.. pretty much the same as a 3.79 for the American system).

From what I've read, they seem pretty quick to tell you if you're in or not and to inform you about scholarship money so I should hear from them pretty quick but I'm dying to know so i would really appreciate if you could tell me your opinion with regards to your experience with them!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 am

If it helps, I was awarded 25k / year with a 162 and a 3.8x. I believe the next amount is a full ride, so probably one of the two. If you are AA there is a chance for a full ride, I think. The again, this is just my own strange personal opinion based on what I've observed on these TLS forums lol. Good luck! Where else are you applying?

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am

gatorlaw wrote:If it helps, I was awarded 25k / year with a 162 and a 3.8x. I believe the next amount is a full ride, so probably one of the two. If you are AA there is a chance for a full ride, I think. The again, this is just my own strange personal opinion based on what I've observed on these TLS forums lol. Good luck! Where else are you applying?
You get added perks for being a member of Alcoholics Anonymous? Sign me up.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:11 pm

genius5432 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:If it helps, I was awarded 25k / year with a 162 and a 3.8x. I believe the next amount is a full ride, so probably one of the two. If you are AA there is a chance for a full ride, I think. The again, this is just my own strange personal opinion based on what I've observed on these TLS forums lol. Good luck! Where else are you applying?
+1

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 pm

genius5432 wrote:
No but seriously, I don't know what AA stands for in this context.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”