U of Miami 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Miami?
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Miami? » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard about Miami Scholars yet?

I applied the first day the app opened. I got an e-mail about a merit scholarship but I won't be able to check my mail until January. I'd really like to get the UMiami Scholars though, as I'm interested in going into the public sector :)


+1

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Traveled to my apartment from home (I'm an undergrad) just to pick up my scholly letter - $25k per year. While it'll still be pretty expensive due to COL in Miami and the 3.2 stip, I'm now going to consider a visit to Miami to check out its facilities and perhaps meet with a representative.

MissMock
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:35 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby MissMock » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:37 pm

How long after you guys got your acceptance did you get the scholarship email?

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:09 pm

acceptance came 12/6

scholly came 12/21

User avatar
SarahT
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby SarahT » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:04 pm

nikkiguntner wrote:How long after you guys got your acceptance did you get the scholarship email?


I was accepted third week of November. Scholarship came Dec 21. Their website states that you can expect scholarship info about 3 weeks after admissions (although mine too about 4 weeks)

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Accepted mid-October and got the scholarship last week.
nikkiguntner wrote:How long after you guys got your acceptance did you get the scholarship email?

User avatar
Leaborb192
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Leaborb192 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:56 pm

gatorlaw wrote:They don't have a status checker. I called the admissions office after about a month of going complete and the lady told me to check MyUM page the following Monday "for some good news" lol.

When you get accepted, they send out an e-mail that directs you to check your MyUM account. For what it's worth, my e-mail came like a week after it said I had been accepted on MyUM.

Good luck everyone.

Is anyone seriously considering UMiami? I'm finishing my undergrad at UF now and I'm applying to a lot of FL schools but I think UMiami is the only school I'd consider in state.



Yes I am seriously considering University of Miami. I,however, plan on taking some time and will not attend at least until fall of 2013. I currently am weighing my options as far as pursuing a second Bachelor's Degree which will take three years or simply taking a gap-year and studying for the LSATS. I'd have to come in from out of state though as I'm a New Yorker, but I'm getting really sick of these cold winters where I live so that's definitely a big incentive to at least check it out. I'll graduate in May of 2012 with a BA in Spanish Lang/Lit with hopefully a GPA of 3.5; I'm taking easy classes so it should be feasible that I get 4.0s in them all and I would like to get at least a 170 on the test. I have a lot of time but it's quite possible that if you do attend you might see me around campus in the fall of 2013. It might be another year, but it will give me time to take a lot of practice exams so I can kick ass on the actual exam- where it counts! Is a 3.5 GPA and 170 LSAT score enough to get in?

Thanks,
Rob L.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby salsahips » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:07 am

Leaborb192 wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:They don't have a status checker. I called the admissions office after about a month of going complete and the lady told me to check MyUM page the following Monday "for some good news" lol.

When you get accepted, they send out an e-mail that directs you to check your MyUM account. For what it's worth, my e-mail came like a week after it said I had been accepted on MyUM.

Good luck everyone.

Is anyone seriously considering UMiami? I'm finishing my undergrad at UF now and I'm applying to a lot of FL schools but I think UMiami is the only school I'd consider in state.



Yes I am seriously considering University of Miami. I,however, plan on taking some time and will not attend at least until fall of 2013. I currently am weighing my options as far as pursuing a second Bachelor's Degree which will take three years or simply taking a gap-year and studying for the LSATS. I'd have to come in from out of state though as I'm a New Yorker, but I'm getting really sick of these cold winters where I live so that's definitely a big incentive to at least check it out. I'll graduate in May of 2012 with a BA in Spanish Lang/Lit with hopefully a GPA of 3.5; I'm taking easy classes so it should be feasible that I get 4.0s in them all and I would like to get at least a 170 on the test. I have a lot of time but it's quite possible that if you do attend you might see me around campus in the fall of 2013. It might be another year, but it will give me time to take a lot of practice exams so I can kick ass on the actual exam- where it counts! Is a 3.5 GPA and 170 LSAT score enough to get in?

Thanks,
Rob L.


3.5/170 is enough to get you a full ride... I got a full scholarship with a 3.4/170

User avatar
S-IV
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby S-IV » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:55 am

Waitlisted this morning. 154 - 3.45

broncos_fan_26
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 am

I'm pretty late to the show... applied to all my other schools in November, but suddenly decided (when it was 20 degrees outside in Boston) that I might wanna move back home, and so decided to apply for U Miami... 3.75/ 164... will this late in the cycle kill my chances of money?

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:23 pm

probably not. your numbers are strong and your application will probably be reviewed at the same time as those who applied earlier in December because of the break. I think the priority deadline for scholarships is early Feb., so if you get your app in by the start of the semester, I think you'll be in good shape

broncos_fan_26 wrote:I'm pretty late to the show... applied to all my other schools in November, but suddenly decided (when it was 20 degrees outside in Boston) that I might wanna move back home, and so decided to apply for U Miami... 3.75/ 164... will this late in the cycle kill my chances of money?

broncos_fan_26
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:31 pm

cutecarmel wrote:probably not. your numbers are strong and your application will probably be reviewed at the same time as those who applied earlier in December because of the break. I think the priority deadline for scholarships is early Feb., so if you get your app in by the start of the semester, I think you'll be in good shape

broncos_fan_26 wrote:I'm pretty late to the show... applied to all my other schools in November, but suddenly decided (when it was 20 degrees outside in Boston) that I might wanna move back home, and so decided to apply for U Miami... 3.75/ 164... will this late in the cycle kill my chances of money?


just got it in now.... they are all pretty standard once you get a good PS down.

broncos_fan_26
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:48 am

how long did it take you all to get your email from miami to confirm that they had received your app?

User avatar
ashleyrenee
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ashleyrenee » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:05 pm

I applied 12/7, I think I got my ID website a week or so later and I just checked and I'm INNNNN :)

woo hoo

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby wvu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Just got an email to check myUM and I'm in. Going to have to give some serious thought to keeping it in the running though, that FL legal market scares me.

However coincidentally I'm actually visiting Miami for the Orange Bowl right now...

User avatar
ggibelli
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ggibelli » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 pm

wvuchip wrote:Just got an email to check myUM and I'm in. Going to have to give some serious thought to keeping it in the running though, that FL legal market scares me.

However coincidentally I'm actually visiting Miami for the Orange Bowl right now...


lets go mountaineers!

User avatar
ashleyrenee
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ashleyrenee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:54 pm

wvuchip wrote:Just got an email to check myUM and I'm in. Going to have to give some serious thought to keeping it in the running though, that FL legal market scares me.

However coincidentally I'm actually visiting Miami for the Orange Bowl right now...


well you should check out the campus maybe if you time and see how it feels :)

User avatar
zuckaz48
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby zuckaz48 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:05 pm

just got accepted today after receiving an email that told me to check my status.

i never really considered leaving the northeast, and only applied to keep my options open if I wanted to relocate to a warmer location.

Has anyone visited yet or do any current students have any information about classes, living situations, job prospects, bars and clubs and shit? it would be greatly appreciated because i may be considering miami now

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby dolfan0516 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:21 pm

ashleyrenee wrote:
wvuchip wrote:Just got an email to check myUM and I'm in. Going to have to give some serious thought to keeping it in the running though, that FL legal market scares me.

However coincidentally I'm actually visiting Miami for the Orange Bowl right now...


well you should check out the campus maybe if you time and see how it feels :)


Coral Gables is about a 45 minute drive from Sun Life stadium in normal traffic, over an hour in rush hour. Its about 20 mins from Miami Beach or Downtown, so might be worth visiting if you are in that area.

LDW98
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby LDW98 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm currently finishing up undergrad at The U, and while I don't know much substantively about the law school, I do have some contact with it. I also may be of help about Miami and the surrounding area.

The Law Building(s) are connected to the undergraduate campus. It's actually just a few steps away from the undergraduate student union, and library. The law school itself is pretty small, as law school's go, but has a nice courtyard with a fountain and benches where students can sit/eat/read in between classes.

As far as housing, Coral Gables/Miami in general is pretty pricy. The closest housing to the University/Law School would be "Red Road Commons." It's within walking distance, very new and nicely maintained. However, the cons are: you'll be living amongst a ton of undergraduate students (i've heard noise is an issue) and it also borders a somewhat shady neighborhood.

If you want to spend a little bit more and live in a bit nicer, perhaps yuppier neighborhood, look at "The Apartments at Merrick Park." Mostly young professionals and some law school students who live there - and it's located in the heart of Coral Gables - doesn't get much more beautiful than that.


As far as nightlife/clubs. Coconut Grove (called "The Grove") is the big spot that's closest to campus. Lots of bars, restaurants, active nightlife. And of course, South Beach is not too far away - about a 30-45 min drive depending on traffic, which is a HUGE variable in Miami.

Congrats to those who got in, and if anyone has any more questions about the city or anything else - let me know!

User avatar
ashleyrenee
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ashleyrenee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm

LDW98 wrote:I'm currently finishing up undergrad at The U, and while I don't know much substantively about the law school, I do have some contact with it. I also may be of help about Miami and the surrounding area.

The Law Building(s) are connected to the undergraduate campus. It's actually just a few steps away from the undergraduate student union, and library. The law school itself is pretty small, as law school's go, but has a nice courtyard with a fountain and benches where students can sit/eat/read in between classes.

As far as housing, Coral Gables/Miami in general is pretty pricy. The closest housing to the University/Law School would be "Red Road Commons." It's within walking distance, very new and nicely maintained. However, the cons are: you'll be living amongst a ton of undergraduate students (i've heard noise is an issue) and it also borders a somewhat shady neighborhood.

If you want to spend a little bit more and live in a bit nicer, perhaps yuppier neighborhood, look at "The Apartments at Merrick Park." Mostly young professionals and some law school students who live there - and it's located in the heart of Coral Gables - doesn't get much more beautiful than that.


As far as nightlife/clubs. Coconut Grove (called "The Grove") is the big spot that's closest to campus. Lots of bars, restaurants, active nightlife. And of course, South Beach is not too far away - about a 30-45 min drive depending on traffic, which is a HUGE variable in Miami.

Congrats to those who got in, and if anyone has any more questions about the city or anything else - let me know!


how much would you say the average monthly rent is there?
I live in Los Angeles..trying to figure out if its comparable or not. :) Thanks for all of the tips!

LDW98
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby LDW98 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Just going off the top of my head - you may want to check me on this, but:

Red Road Commons I believe start at about 1600 per month for a 1/1. Merrick Park is closer to 2000 per month for a 1/1.

There are certainly some cheaper options, but just be careful. Coral Gables itself is very safe, but I have a few friends who rent houses just to the west of campus, and they've been burglarized, and in one case, a victim of an armed robbery. Not to scare anybody, but be careful and definitely scout out the neighborhood before you move in.

Also worth noting - a popular option for a few law school students I know are apartments on Brickell. Brickell Ave. is one of the nicer areas in Miami, located right next to downtown. It's literally a stones throw away from the Heat arena, and the performing arts center, and most buildings have water views. They constructed a lot of new condominiums before the housing fallout, and as a result, there are a lot of vacancies/lower rent. You can find a nice 1/1 on Brickell with a water view for +/- 1600-1700. There's a metro stop located on Brickell, and the line runs right down to Campus in Coral Gables - assuming you won't have a car/don't want to battle rush hour. Definitely an option if you want to experience the Miami "High Life" :mrgreen:

Hope I didn't inundate you with too much info -- I should probably go into Real Estate instead of Law haha

User avatar
ashleyrenee
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby ashleyrenee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:48 pm

LDW98 wrote:Just going off the top of my head - you may want to check me on this, but:

Red Road Commons I believe start at about 1600 per month for a 1/1. Merrick Park is closer to 2000 per month for a 1/1.

There are certainly some cheaper options, but just be careful. Coral Gables itself is very safe, but I have a few friends who rent houses just to the west of campus, and they've been burglarized, and in one case, a victim of an armed robbery. Not to scare anybody, but be careful and definitely scout out the neighborhood before you move in.

Also worth noting - a popular option for a few law school students I know are apartments on Brickell. Brickell Ave. is one of the nicer areas in Miami, located right next to downtown. It's literally a stones throw away from the Heat arena, and the performing arts center, and most buildings have water views. They constructed a lot of new condominiums before the housing fallout, and as a result, there are a lot of vacancies/lower rent. You can find a nice 1/1 on Brickell with a water view for +/- 1600-1700. There's a metro stop located on Brickell, and the line runs right down to Campus in Coral Gables - assuming you won't have a car/don't want to battle rush hour. Definitely an option if you want to experience the Miami "High Life" :mrgreen:

Hope I didn't inundate you with too much info -- I should probably go into Real Estate instead of Law haha


hahah this is AWESOME and great info - thanks so much :) I am def thinking about taking a trip to visit!! THank you!

Miami?
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby Miami? » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:12 pm

So for all you MSers in waiting...
I called admissions because I am leaving the country this weekend and not back till 2/1; was afraid that if I were selected for an interview they'd call my phone which will be off. Lady was super nice on the phone, and said that they haven't even started to look at files yet because MS app open till this Friday. Am confused because some people on here have gotten their interviews, but didn't tell her that...
Cheers

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: U of Miami 2015

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 pm

LDW98 wrote:Just going off the top of my head - you may want to check me on this, but:

Red Road Commons I believe start at about 1600 per month for a 1/1. Merrick Park is closer to 2000 per month for a 1/1.



WOW! 1600 for 1 month?! :o




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”