Nebraska 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eboston

Re: Nebraska 2012

Postby eboston » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:41 pm

I haven't heard anything yet and I went under review on 11/17. I kept waiting for that phone call all afternoon!

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 pm

eboston wrote:I haven't heard anything yet and I went under review on 11/17. I kept waiting for that phone call all afternoon!

I had this happen to me countless times from countless schools last year. I can honestly say "I feel your pain." Last year I got deferred at Nebraska in January, then WL in March (or was it April). My GPA/LSAT combo made me tough to reject, but also tough to accept at most schools.

When Dean Kluver called today he actually thanked me for being such a "trooper" throughout last year's cycle. It seems silly, but it meant a lot to me. They actually knew/remembered who I was.

Good luck! I hope you get the call tomorrow.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Congratulations to all who got the much awaited phone call today. Again, I am a 1L at UNL and would be happy to answer any questions that you have about the school, or law school, or Lincoln (or Omaha), or anything else that will help me put off studying for my last final on Wednesday.

Doc,

A couple of questions.

(1) Have you had any "buyer's remorse" whatsoever in regards to choosing UNL? Do you wish you had gone somewhere else?
(2) Where do most married law students live? If you have no idea, where do most law students in general live?
(3) Best places to eat in Lincoln/Omaha?
(4) Do you have any idea of the number/names/locations of firms that do OCI at UNL?
(5) I've heard that resident tuition prices can be attained for married students if their spouse is employed? Is it really as simple as that? I'm not likely to get any money with my numbers, so this could save me a ton of coin.
(6) From what you've seen, do most students enjoy Nebraska Law? I visited a law school (Idaho) last year and everyone looked really bummed out and pissed off.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 pm

For our region, I have been admitted to Drake, Iowa, Creighton, and UNL so far (and W&L and OSU). Drake, Creighton, and UNL have all offered me full tuition, and Iowa has not come out with scholarship decisions.

With the same offer (tuition and fees) from Drake Creighton and UNL, do you think any of them would be willing to offer a COL stipend? I am a URM with good numbers for these schools.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:Congratulations to all who got the much awaited phone call today. Again, I am a 1L at UNL and would be happy to answer any questions that you have about the school, or law school, or Lincoln (or Omaha), or anything else that will help me put off studying for my last final on Wednesday.

Doc,

A couple of questions.

(1) Have you had any "buyer's remorse" whatsoever in regards to choosing UNL? Do you wish you had gone somewhere else?
(2) Where do most married law students live? If you have no idea, where do most law students in general live?
(4) Do you have any idea of the number/names/locations of firms that do OCI at UNL?
(5) I've heard that resident tuition prices can be attained for married students if their spouse is employed? Is it really as simple as that? I'm not likely to get any money with my numbers, so this could save me a ton of coin.
(6) From what you've seen, do most students enjoy Nebraska Law? I visited a law school (Idaho) last year and everyone looked really bummed out and pissed off.

(1) No. I really like Nebraska Law. It was about in the middle of the pack, rankings wise, of the schools that admitted me but I don't regret coming here at all.

(2) I actually live in Omaha, so I can't really answer thsi question very well. There are some cute residential neighborhoods near the law school and lots of appartments. Dean Kluver is actually a good person to ask about housing.

(3) It depends on what you want. Lincoln is a large enough city to have a bit of everything. I recommend Lazlo's, located in the Haymarket. If you're into Indian food, The Oven is a landmark. Lots of people recommend Misty's, which is a steak house.

(4) There will be about 25-30 firms for the spring 1L OCI. I don't know much about fall OCI, sorry. Many are Lincoln/Omaha firms like Koley Jessen and Woods and Aitken but there are others from around the midwest.

(5) I wish it were that easy but its not. Nebraska is a bit stingy when it comes to residency but even OOS tuition is cheap.

(6) People generally like it. For 1Ls, this is probably the most stressful time of the year - the first round of finals and people are still friendly and will take time to chat.

If there's anything else, please let me know.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 pm

DportIA wrote:For our region, I have been admitted to Drake, Iowa, Creighton, and UNL so far (and W&L and OSU). Drake, Creighton, and UNL have all offered me full tuition, and Iowa has not come out with scholarship decisions.

With the same offer (tuition and fees) from Drake Creighton and UNL, do you think any of them would be willing to offer a COL stipend? I am a URM with good numbers for these schools.

I don't know. I didn't have much success is negotiating scholarships last year but you're in a better position than I am to do so. Good luck!

eagles123

Postby eagles123 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Hey DocHawkeye,

Thanks for answering questions. I have a few questions for you.

How do you think the job prospects are for Nebraska law students who have done well in their class? Additionally, do law firms perform on campus interviews at Lincoln? Do you think your job prospects will look better than students at Creighton? And, to your knowledge, how are the job prospects in Denver?

Thanks!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:38 pm

eagles123 wrote:Hey DocHawkeye,

Thanks for answering questions. I have a few questions for you.

How do you think the job prospects are for Nebraska law students who have done well in their class? Additionally, do law firms perform on campus interviews at Lincoln? Do you think your job prospects will look better than students at Creighton? And, to your knowledge, how are the job prospects in Denver?

Thanks!

Evidence suggests that the job market is still open in Nebraska. Fall on campus interview was busy and spring looks to be just as good. The prospects are better for graudates looking to practice in rural (out-state Nebraska). Conventional wisdom has it that UNL domiates over Creighton even in Omaha. I don't have figues to support this, but keep in mind that UNL is a tier II school and Creighton is a tier III. I don't know about Denver specifically, but I know that there is at least one firm at spring OCI with a Denver office and one with a Kansas City office. Sorry I don't have better data.

eagles123

Postby eagles123 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks Doc.

patrickj11288

Postby patrickj11288 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 am

Anyone on here Nebraska undergrads? If so howd you like your first season in the B10. I was upset my Boilermakers didnt get to play you guys even though it would have probably gone in the L column.

CaptainJack

Postby CaptainJack » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in. So far I've gotten into Iowa, Tulane (25k per), Temple, Michigan State (Full tuition), Creighton (Tuition, books, fees) and UNL (29k per). You'd think there would be some way I could get them to bump that up to full tuition haha. Even though I still haven't heard back from my top three going into this (WI, CO, MN (Resident state) I have been living in Omaha since August and the UNL offer seems like the logical choice. Could I be wrong? Doc do you know the ratio if in staters to out of staters?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:22 pm

CaptainJack wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in. So far I've gotten into Iowa, Tulane (25k per), Temple, Michigan State (Full tuition), Creighton (Tuition, books, fees) and UNL (29k per). You'd think there would be some way I could get them to bump that up to full tuition haha. Even though I still haven't heard back from my top three going into this (WI, CO, MN (Resident state) I have been living in Omaha since August and the UNL offer seems like the logical choice. Could I be wrong? Doc do you know the ratio if in staters to out of staters?

29K is pretty close to full tuition. Also, you may be able to qualify for in state tuition since, by the start of classes, you will have been living in Nebraska for a year while not going to school. According to the school's website, the incoming class is 68% from Nebraska and 32% from outside. I think UNL is a good choice, better than Creighton it seems from what I've heard.

jlaw19

Postby jlaw19 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:21 am

I heard Tuesday. In at Creighton and Lincoln both full scholarships plus some. I realize this is a Nebraska Law board, but what is everyone's opinion on which would be better for someone looking to get into bussiness law with the best and most job prospects in Nebraska and maybe regional.

Thanks and good to see some Nebraska hopefuls on TLS

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 pm

jlaw19 wrote:I heard Tuesday. In at Creighton and Lincoln both full scholarships plus some. I realize this is a Nebraska Law board, but what is everyone's opinion on which would be better for someone looking to get into bussiness law with the best and most job prospects in Nebraska and maybe regional.

Thanks and good to see some Nebraska hopefuls on TLS

Nebraska Law offers a concentration in Business Law. They are also a much stronger law school than is Creighton according to most sources including USNWR and National Jurist (who recently named UNL as the 9th best value law school in the US). Spring OCI has firms that have offices in Denver and Kansas City as well as Omaha and Lincoln which is evidence of UNL's regional placement. I don't know anything about Creighton's OCI.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting UNL on the 11th. Are any of you going to be there the same day? Beki Colberg said 3 other people would be visiting with me.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting UNL on the 11th. Are any of you going to be there the same day? Beki Colberg said 3 other people would be visiting with me.

Are you sitting in on a class? If so, do you know which one? I'd love to say hello.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Are you sitting in on a class? If so, do you know which one? I'd love to say hello.

No, they said they weren't letting us sit in because it was the first week of classes. just look for a tall, bearded dude. I'd like to meet you too.

eagles123

Postby eagles123 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:Are you sitting in on a class? If so, do you know which one? I'd love to say hello.

No, they said they weren't letting us sit in because it was the first week of classes. just look for a tall, bearded dude. I'd like to meet you too.

Is there an actual student visit day, I didn't see anything in my packet in regard to that? Just wondering if you just schedule your own visit or not.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 pm

I just scheduled my own. 15 hour drive through Wyoming and Nebraska starts tomorrow morning!

CaptainJack

Postby CaptainJack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 pm

I will be visiting on February 6th.

chickenfed

Postby chickenfed » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm

eagles123 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Is there an actual student visit day, I didn't see anything in my packet in regard to that? Just wondering if you just schedule your own visit or not.

Admitted Students Weekend is in March. For an exact date just call the admissions office.

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 am

Just withdrew and freed up some money. Good luck in Lincoln all!

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:58 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Doc,

A couple of questions.

Not a Nebraska Law person but I went to UNL for UG and know several people who are attending/have attended UNL Law.

1. Everyone who I've talked to who went to UNL law enjoyed it FWIW.
2. If it's like UG, then people tend to spread out. There are pockets of students in the North Bottoms and on north and south 27th street. There are plenty of options for renting in Lincoln so you can pretty much live where you want.
3. The Oven, Lazlo's, La Mexicana, Bread & Cup, Fireworks (a bit of a drive but worth it), Misty's, 9 south char grill, Brewsky's and Legends.
4&5. No idea
6.See 1.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congratulations to the admits.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Does anyone know if Nebraska gives much money to 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls who perform well in school?

champion_for_justice

Postby champion_for_justice » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Went UR today. Hoping to get a decision soon! It's amazing how slowly time moves these days...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”