Texas Tech 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bmlinds

Re: Texas Tech 2012

Postby bmlinds » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

sikemenow wrote:In via email. Submitted 1/5.

I noticed TTU wasn't listed in your profile, will you be going there?

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:23 pm

$8,000 scholarship a year in letter today. Good luck to every one else!

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Getting more and more excited about Tech. It's probably my third or fourth choice at this point. I've been doing a lot of reading about Lubbock. Coming from where I do, it sounds like a big town with plenty of shopping, outdoor activities, and arts to keep one busy in that rarest of a law student's resources: free time.

It is however, 18 hours from my hometown and I've never been that far West. Looks like a beautiful campus and an area with a nice minor climate I've read it's constantly windy, which sounds nice, but there are occasionally dust storms. I'm live in the land of hurricanes, so a dust storm would be an alien phenomenon indeed.

I do worry about the reach of Texas Tech outside of West Texas or the Texas Panhandle (whichever of those Lubbock is in). I would expect that there are a small number of graduates in New Mexico and Oklahoma, in addition to a presence in the major markets of Dallas, Houston, and Austin (though grads of higher-ranked and closer schools probably edge out Tech's in this regard).

What would you say about Tech's position in Texas? I guess it's ranked as the 5th best law school in Texas, behind UT, SMU, Houston, and Baylor, right?

MoreThanANumber

Postby MoreThanANumber » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Has anyone been put on hold?

ladyjustice

Postby ladyjustice » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:44 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:Getting more and more excited about Tech. It's probably my third or fourth choice at this point. I've been doing a lot of reading about Lubbock. Coming from where I do, it sounds like a big town with plenty of shopping, outdoor activities, and arts to keep one busy in that rarest of a law student's resources: free time.

It is however, 18 hours from my hometown and I've never been that far West. Looks like a beautiful campus and an area with a nice minor climate I've read it's constantly windy, which sounds nice, but there are occasionally dust storms. I'm live in the land of hurricanes, so a dust storm would be an alien phenomenon indeed.

I do worry about the reach of Texas Tech outside of West Texas or the Texas Panhandle (whichever of those Lubbock is in). I would expect that there are a small number of graduates in New Mexico and Oklahoma, in addition to a presence in the major markets of Dallas, Houston, and Austin (though grads of higher-ranked and closer schools probably edge out Tech's in this regard).

What would you say about Tech's position in Texas? I guess it's ranked as the 5th best law school in Texas, behind UT, SMU, Houston, and Baylor, right?

Personally, I think Tech has a good pull on the job market here because it is so well known in comparison to the smaller schools like Wesleyan, South Texas, Thurgood, St. Mary's. Tech also does a lot of recruiting to firms all around Texas especially in the larger cities like D/FW. If you get accepted to U of H, UT or Baylor, I would definitely go there if you're worried about job security, but the economy being what it is you're not going to get the "big firm" dream job off the bat. Hope this helps!

MoreThanANumber: What do you mean by on hold??

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 pm

As long as there is some potential for a good job I will be satisfied. You're absolutely right that in this economy nothing is going to be certain, even if one attends a higher ranked school. I'm just trying to stay away from the sizable portion of law schools that seem to be profit-generating machines. Tech does not seem to be one of these. I've been very impressed with the communication from the admissions department. I was also pleased to see that I too received a personalized handwritten note from the Dean on my admissions letter. These things may seem insignificant but I think it helps illustrate the culture of a given institution.

As for other Texas schools, Baylor rejected me right out of the gate and I didn't bother with the other two.

Cost of living is pretty low in Lubbock from the looks of it. That's another big plus. I've just read that you don't want to live on the East side of town.

MoreThanANumber

Postby MoreThanANumber » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 pm

My Status says "Hold." At the top it reads : "What does "Hold" mean?

This status means that you have been reviewed, but the Admissions Committee is unable to make a decision on your file at this time. This could be for a number of reasons:

1.Future LSAT results - If you registered for a future LSAT, we may be waiting for those results before making a final decision.
2.Additional Information Requested - We may have requested additional information from you and are waiting to receive and/or review your response.
3.Further Review Needed - We receive many files that are very similar and it is sometimes difficult to determine which among a group should be admitted or waitlisted or denied. To get a better idea of how a file compares to others in the applicant pool, it is sometimes necessary to wait for additional similar files to be reviewed in order to provide a better comparison.

Your file is still considered "In Review". Applicants are typically not held for longer than a few weeks, but it could be longer. You will be notified when a decision is made.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat :|

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

MoreThanANumber wrote:My Status says "Hold." At the top it reads : "What does "Hold" mean?

This status means that you have been reviewed, but the Admissions Committee is unable to make a decision on your file at this time. This could be for a number of reasons:

1.Future LSAT results - If you registered for a future LSAT, we may be waiting for those results before making a final decision.
2.Additional Information Requested - We may have requested additional information from you and are waiting to receive and/or review your response.
3.Further Review Needed - We receive many files that are very similar and it is sometimes difficult to determine which among a group should be admitted or waitlisted or denied. To get a better idea of how a file compares to others in the applicant pool, it is sometimes necessary to wait for additional similar files to be reviewed in order to provide a better comparison.

Your file is still considered "In Review". Applicants are typically not held for longer than a few weeks, but it could be longer. You will be notified when a decision is made.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat :|

Just in case you haven't seen this...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175385&p=5158737#p5158737

TXG

Postby TXG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:Getting more and more excited about Tech. It's probably my third or fourth choice at this point. I've been doing a lot of reading about Lubbock. Coming from where I do, it sounds like a big town with plenty of shopping, outdoor activities, and arts to keep one busy in that rarest of a law student's resources: free time.

With regard to Lubbock, it is fair to say that there are a great number of positives, accompanied by some negatives. The climate in Lubbock is actually quite nice for Texas. Because it is in the desert, the humidity is low, which means the heat is less harsh. Coming from Houston, Lubbock had an awesome climate. It freezes regularly in the winters, and it is not uncommon to have snowfall in March (though overall precipitation is almost nil). I would liken it to the climate of Southern California, except with more wind. There are wind storms occasionally, but it's not a huge deal (the wind blows at a constant ~10/15mph). It is nice to step outside and not immediately sweat (as in most of the south).

As for activities, coming from a huge city I felt that there was very little to do here--but that could just be a matter of perception. The population is about 250,000, so there are definitely some decent restaurants here (steakhouses mainly), there are like 8 golf courses (including the Tech Rawl's course, which is one of the best college golf courses). There are numerous bars, as in any college town, and parks and stuff, museums, the art trail, etc.

Another advantage is the cost of living. It's very cheap, to put it mildly. Rent is low, food and gas are cheap, so it's possible to have a better quality of life here than in most of the larger cities.

The campus is beautiful, has a fantastic public art collection scattered everywhere, and the groundskeepers do their best to create a pretty campus environment in spite of the desert surroundings. The law school is on the edge of campus, sort of removed from the main part, which means one doesn't have to put up with those pesky undergraduates.

The people here are nice, very true to the Texas stereotype. That being said, it is very conservative, so this sort of permeates most aspects of life here. It might be difficult to fit in if you don't sit somewhere on the right side of the political spectrum (though the law school has alot of ideological diversity).

In terms of job prospects, Tech graduates tend to do well in terms of placement in the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston markets. If you want to live in West Texas, Eastern New Mexico, or South Texas, it is pretty easy to find a job. In order to break in to biglaw, you probably need to graduate in the top 10-5% of your class coming from Tech though.

dallaslawgurl

Postby dallaslawgurl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 pm

"Movin' right along...File in Review." since 1/24/2012

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:As long as there is some potential for a good job I will be satisfied. You're absolutely right that in this economy nothing is going to be certain, even if one attends a higher ranked school. I'm just trying to stay away from the sizable portion of law schools that seem to be profit-generating machines. Tech does not seem to be one of these. I've been very impressed with the communication from the admissions department. I was also pleased to see that I too received a personalized handwritten note from the Dean on my admissions letter. These things may seem insignificant but I think it helps illustrate the culture of a given institution.

As for other Texas schools, Baylor rejected me right out of the gate and I didn't bother with the other two.

Cost of living is pretty low in Lubbock from the looks of it. That's another big plus. I've just read that you don't want to live on the East side of town.

Full disclosure: Tech waitlisted me, I grew up in Lubbock, and I graduated from A&M. These are three excellent reasons to
discount my opinion.

Tech has a beautiful campus, Lubbock's a fairly big town with a small town feel, and it's cheap, so it made my list of schools. Unfortunately, despite Lubbock being full of many wonderful people, my experience growing up there and visiting home throughout my time at A&M demonstrated a culture somewhat different from what you're probably imagining based on your positive interaction with the admissions department (BTW, Dean Perez is an Aggie). There is a sizeable chunk of the student body that gives the rest a bad name through classless and juvenile behavior. The most instructive example for me came when my 50 year old mother and 15 year old sister were pelted with beer bottles while leaving a football game at Jones Stadium.

Tech's a good school, but buyer beware, and if you ultimately attend I hope you help change the culture for the better. And yes, stay away from the east side of town if for no other reason than to avoid the stench of the stockyards and Frito-Lay plant.

rckybbby

Postby rckybbby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm

texag1979 wrote:
JerichoJohnny wrote:As long as there is some potential for a good job I will be satisfied. You're absolutely right that in this economy nothing is going to be certain, even if one attends a higher ranked school. I'm just trying to stay away from the sizable portion of law schools that seem to be profit-generating machines. Tech does not seem to be one of these. I've been very impressed with the communication from the admissions department. I was also pleased to see that I too received a personalized handwritten note from the Dean on my admissions letter. These things may seem insignificant but I think it helps illustrate the culture of a given institution.

Full disclosure: Tech waitlisted me, I grew up in Lubbock, and I graduated from A&M. These are three excellent reasons to
discount my opinion.

Tech has a beautiful campus, Lubbock's a fairly big town with a small town feel, and it's cheap, so it made my list of schools. Unfortunately, despite Lubbock being full of many wonderful people, my experience growing up there and visiting home throughout my time at A&M demonstrated a culture somewhat different from what you're probably imagining based on your positive interaction with the admissions department (BTW, Dean Perez is an Aggie). There is a sizeable chunk of the student body that gives the rest a bad name through classless and juvenile behavior. The most instructive example for me came when my 50 year old mother and 15 year old sister were pelted with beer bottles while leaving a football game at Jones Stadium.

Tech's a good school, but buyer beware, and if you ultimately attend I hope you help change the culture for the better. And yes, stay away from the east side of town if for no other reason than to avoid the stench of the stockyards and Frito-Lay plant.

well yes... there is that... but we have a good time.

TxRenegade2012

Postby TxRenegade2012 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:21 pm

rckybbby wrote:
texag1979 wrote:

discount my opinion.

well yes... there is that... but we have a good time.

Still inexcusable. If the law students were anything like the undergrad students I would not attend tech. Fortunately they're not. Texag1979- I was there in 09 when sherm and c-mike destroyed tech. Got hit with a cup of warm piss afterwards so I know exactly what you're talking about. It is definitely encouraging that dean Perez is an Ag. I think it may have helped my application a little lol

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 pm

texag1979 wrote:

discount my opinion.

every school has its bad apples, and a&m is no different

sorry you had bad experiences at a sporting event, but to insinuate that a graduate student should base a large part of their decision on the behavior undergrad population is a little off base, in my opinion.

aggie corpman throwing manure at UT band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJxUeyhhpQ ---those who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:15 pm

I agree. I really don't care how particular students act. You can find classless individuals at any institution. I am concerned with quality of education and job opportunities.

Lindsey4468

Postby Lindsey4468 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Texas Tech is apparently not offering me a scholly. Absolutely ridiculous that they'd expect me to pay full price considering I have been offered a full ride at another school, and have gotten into far better schools. Ps- they do not negotiate. period. So I will be kindly withdrawing.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Lindsey4468 wrote:Texas Tech is apparently not offering me a scholly. Absolutely ridiculous that they'd expect me to pay full price considering I have been offered a full ride at another school, and have gotten into far better schools. Ps- they do not negotiate. period. So I will be kindly withdrawing.

I don't think any school "officially" negotiates, but nearly all do it, including tech

If you would seriously consider tech with a scholarship, then just call dean Perez and tell him your situation. Not every student is going to be able to successfully negotiate (depends on degree of actual interest on attending, numbers, and other serious offers), but I can't see them not even talking to you. Additionally there are other scholarships you can apply for that are not automatically given by the school, but from what I've seen these are mainly reserved for minority students. Also, if you do well your first year you can receive scholarships for your second year.

Main point of the post is that tech does in fact negotiate, if the student has the right numbers and is seriously committed to attending

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:06 pm

b.gump 81 says: "every school has its bad apples, and a&m is no different

sorry you had bad experiences at a sporting event, but to insinuate that a graduate student should base a large part of their decision on the behavior undergrad population is a little off base, in my opinion.

aggie corpman throwing manure at UT band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJxUeyhhpQ ---those who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones"

A&M's bad apples fling poo at the Texas Band. Tech's bad apples throw bottles at women and children. Thank you for clearing up the difference between our schools.

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 pm

I don't think its fair to make wide generalizations based on the behavior of individual drunken idiots.

I CAN say that I never saw anything near this sort of behavior during the highly competitive football games played by my small D-1 university in the Deep South, but I did hear horror stories about the behavior of students at several SEC schools during away games. For example, little children flipping the bird and yelling obscenities at the visiting band during a game at the Swamp in Gainesville. Even so, I'm not going to condemn the entire 40,000+ student body.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 am

texag1979 wrote:A&M's bad apples fling poo at the Texas Band. Tech's bad apples throw bottles at women and children. Thank you for clearing up the difference between our schools.

You forgot that aggies also pull out deadly weapons and chase the visiting team's cheerleaders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0vsZHlE ... ata_player

In my first response, I was just trying to point out that your "input" was off base and not helpful. I didn't mean to start some sort of discussion about a comparison of tech and a&m undergrad. I actually respect a&m as an institution and consider it one of the best schools in the region. Additionally, a large number of tech law students are aggies. I really am sorry you had a bad experience, but I was just pointing out that every school has bad apples

So to bring the thread back on topic, the law school is largely removed from the rest of main campus. It is on the far, southwest corner and has its own building, parking lot, library, and cafeteria. A law student could possibly go an entire three years without even seeing an undergrad student on campus if he or she really wanted to. And again, I don't think the behavior of a few bad undergrads should be any sort of factor for a prospective law student to consider

sikemenow

Postby sikemenow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

bmlinds wrote:

Not sure yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools. SMU and Houston are my top choices if I can get in.

Out of curiosity, does Stephen Perez include a student-specific, hand-written note on every acceptance letter?

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:17 pm

To the current Tech Law students and those familiar with Lubbock..

Do many law students buy homes?

If I attend Tech, I'm considering buying a small starter home (probably under $100,000). I noticed there's a dearth of 3 bed/2 bath starter homes in that price range that were built recently (2005 or sooner). Is there a reason these houses are so cheap?

My monthly mortgage payment estimates are WAY lower than comparable apartment rates. I feel like I would be stupid to rent when I can actually put equity into something and live in a nicer place for less.

Is the housing market in Texas pretty stable? These prices are ridiculously cheap even compared to Idaho/Utah prices. Is this a colossally bad idea? I know conventional wisdom says a mortgage and student loans at the same time is a stupid idea, but my wife will be working (not sure if it will be part or full-time, though) and my parents have given me an assurance they will help out financially with school (and will co-sign on a mortgage if we want to buy).

Somebody confirm my logic, or talk me out of this.

revival2005

Postby revival2005 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Hey, I am from Lubbock and have lived here my whole life. (I also own a house here.) It is not unusual to find a home around that price in certain areas of town brand new. The best side of town is the south side for sure; however, the southwest side is also suitable for living. The east side is where most of the crime takes place. Most college students live on the north side near 4th and frankford because the living is cheap. However, there are also a lot of drug addicts, etc. on this side of town. Ideally you do not want to go east of Indiana, and FORSURE not east of University. Also, I recommend not going north of 50th street (personally.) The BEST place for you to look is in between Quaker and west Frankford, around 82nd street. If you private message me the area you are thinking about, I will let you know my thoughts. Houses here are ridiculously cheap here. Hope this helps!

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm

sikemenow wrote:
bmlinds wrote:

Not sure yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools. SMU and Houston are my top choices if I can get in.

Out of curiosity, does Stephen Perez include a student-specific, hand-written note on every acceptance letter?

Mine had one.

eaper

Postby eaper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
sikemenow wrote:
bmlinds wrote:

Mine had one.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”