CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JMGuevara12

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Postby JMGuevara12 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:19 am

naw wrote:
JMGuevara12 wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:
miy wrote:Grats again JMG!

Let's be real though... you only want to go to CU so you can drink White Rascal's and and say you kinda know Connor Wood- haha.

I hope you get some more good news soon in the way of $$$!

favorite beer right there haha

One of the biggest advantages of CU is being able to take a much needed break from the books and enjoy some delicious beer from Avery. I. Can't. Wait.

I indulged tonight in some of the finest Boulder has to offer. I have to say, I was impressed.

Are you there for ASW? What did you have? April can't come soon enough.

zx92027xz

Postby zx92027xz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:38 pm

I have been complete for about two weeks now, and I will be flying out of my home city for a multi-city trip on Wednesday. I won't return home until the end of the month. Does anyone have any insight into whether the admissions committee (if they render a decision before I arrive) would tell me their decision in person? I would hate to visit, tour, etc with a decision rendered not knowing whether that decision is positive or not.

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:16 pm

zx92027xz wrote:I have been complete for about two weeks now, and I will be flying out of my home city for a multi-city trip on Wednesday. I won't return home until the end of the month. Does anyone have any insight into whether the admissions committee (if they render a decision before I arrive) would tell me their decision in person? I would hate to visit, tour, etc with a decision rendered not knowing whether that decision is positive or not.

Unfortunately, I was just there on Monday for a tour and the nice lady at the admissions desk was able to tell me that my letter was in the mail but she couldn't tell me what it said, adding "patience is a virtue" - perhaps she knew it was a WL? I didn't press the issue, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask though.

zx92027xz

Postby zx92027xz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 pm

milljp02 wrote:
zx92027xz wrote:I have been complete for about two weeks now, and I will be flying out of my home city for a multi-city trip on Wednesday. I won't return home until the end of the month. Does anyone have any insight into whether the admissions committee (if they render a decision before I arrive) would tell me their decision in person? I would hate to visit, tour, etc with a decision rendered not knowing whether that decision is positive or not.

Unfortunately, I was just there on Monday for a tour and the nice lady at the admissions desk was able to tell me that my letter was in the mail but she couldn't tell me what it said, adding "patience is a virtue" - perhaps she knew it was a WL? I didn't press the issue, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask though.

Brutal. I will just have to have my roommates open my mail while I'm gone. Who knows, they might not make a decision by then anyway.

naw

Postby naw » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:57 pm

JMGuevara12 wrote:
naw wrote:I indulged tonight in some of the finest Boulder has to offer. I have to say, I was impressed.

Are you there for ASW? What did you have? April can't come soon enough.

Yeh, I tried Dale's Pale Ale, Odell Easy St. Wheat, Twisted Pine Honey Brown Ale, and the Great Divide Claymore Scotch Ale. So kickass.

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:11 pm

I want to go to Boulder so damn bad... I love it there. Would I be crazy to go here over Northwestern?

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:19 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:I want to go to Boulder so damn bad... I love it there. Would I be crazy to go here over Northwestern?

If you want a comfortable life, then yes.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah. I mean no one in Boulder lives a comfortable life.

Do you have $$ at either school? Are you going into debt? What do you think you want to do with your JD?

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Yeah. I mean no one in Boulder lives a comfortable life.

Do you have $$ at either school? Are you going into debt? What do you think you want to do with your JD?

I haven't heard about $$ from CU yet... not expecting much though, but even a small discount would make this much more viable. Northwestern will almost def be at sticker. But, even if CU offered nothing, debt load at graduation would be maybe 160k, vs 230k @ Northwestern, so that is significant... probably around 100k difference once interest is factored in. I could do UDenver for about 80k total debt, also, if I decide to go the Colorado route, but I'm more inclined to go with Boulder.

I have various legal interests, but realistically I will take the highest paying job/ best clerkship I can get after law school, since debt will be unavoidable. I would be very happy practicing in the Denver area. I don't really want to live in Chicago.

Northwestern at sticker means I'll be paying well over 300k back over the life of the loan, even in the best case employment scenarios. Terrifying. However, employment statistics for recent Boulder grads are grim.

Any sense, looking solely at Colorado job prospects, of the relative opportunities from NU vs CU? I suppose if NU trumps CU even in the Denver area, I should cross CU off my list.

JMGuevara12

Postby JMGuevara12 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:15 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Yeah. I mean no one in Boulder lives a comfortable life.

I haven't heard about $$ from CU yet... not expecting much though, but even a small discount would make this much more viable. Northwestern will almost def be at sticker. But, even if CU offered nothing, debt load at graduation would be maybe 160k, vs 230k @ Northwestern, so that is significant... probably around 100k difference once interest is factored in. I could do UDenver for about 80k total debt, also, if I decide to go the Colorado route, but I'm more inclined to go with Boulder.

I have various legal interests, but realistically I will take the highest paying job/ best clerkship I can get after law school, since debt will be unavoidable. I would be very happy practicing in the Denver area. I don't really want to live in Chicago.

Northwestern at sticker means I'll be paying well over 300k back over the life of the loan, even in the best case employment scenarios. Terrifying. However, employment statistics for recent Boulder grads are grim.

Any sense, looking solely at Colorado job prospects, of the relative opportunities from NU vs CU? I suppose if NU trumps CU even in the Denver area, I should cross CU off my list.

Obviously this is only one example, so I wouldn't treat it as the standard or anything, but I thought I would share it. I know of a friend of mine who was top ten percent at Texas law...and he had a very hard time finding a job in Denver this past year. He mentioned that a lot of the CU grads were getting jobs a head of him because of loyalty and regionalism. So if Denver is a place you'd love to start your legal career, definitely continue the comparison of NU v. CU.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:38 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:

If you are from CO, then going to a T-14 and coming home would be fine. You would be in a better shape with big law in CO assuming you spent you 2L summer here, and you resume didn't scream NYC or anything like that. If you are from CO and you get into a T-14, I cannot imagine not getting $$$ at CU. $$$ at CU is great because of the networking opportunities available for your three years in law school. If you go T-14, you legal network is going to be in that place. Just think of all the contacts you are missing out on by not spending three years in your target state.

Wait for money at CU. If I was you I would deposit at DU and then wait out CU for the money for employment in Colorado. NU to CO with no ties sounds like it isn't happening... Maybe you could get something but it if you miss big law then then it would be tough--- everything else is pretty much attained through smoozing/networking. Go to NU and enjoy employment in NYC or Chicago, or go to CU/DU and work in Colorado.

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
If you are from CO, then going to a T-14 and coming home would be fine. You would be in a better shape with big law in CO assuming you spent you 2L summer here, and you resume didn't scream NYC or anything like that. If you are from CO and you get into a T-14, I cannot imagine not getting $$$ at CU. $$$ at CU is great because of the networking opportunities available for your three years in law school. If you go T-14, you legal network is going to be in that place. Just think of all the contacts you are missing out on by not spending three years in your target state.

Wait for money at CU. If I was you I would deposit at DU and then wait out CU for the money for employment in Colorado. NU to CO with no ties sounds like it isn't happening... Maybe you could get something but it if you miss big law then then it would be tough--- everything else is pretty much attained through smoozing/networking. Go to NU and enjoy employment in NYC or Chicago, or go to CU/DU and work in Colorado.

I live in California. I have lived in CO, albeit briefly, and have very strong familial ties there, including in the legal community. So I can make a convincing argument as to why I want to be in Denver, but I didn't grow up there, and I don't live there now.

I have very little interest in biglaw in NYC or Chicago. Colorado, or California, is where I'd like to end up, and I cannot fathom paying off massive law school debt and then buying a house in the Bay Area. Not to mention that the economy/ budget/ schools will be in shambles here for a long time. Then there's that whole giant earthquake thing.

What I need to ascertain is the availability of biglaw/clerkship opportunities in Denver (I suspect there's not many, and they're quite competitive), and whether Northwestern would give me a significant bump over CU in getting that first job. My gut says no. But my gut is not an infallible source of data concerning law schools and employment.

I have an undergrad gpa that leaves a lot to be desired so I don't expect much scholarship $ from Boulder. Hopefully they'll kick me something though.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

I live in California. I have lived in CO, albeit briefly, and have very strong familial ties there, including in the legal community. So I can make a convincing argument as to why I want to be in Denver, but I didn't grow up there, and I don't live there now.

I have very little interest in biglaw in NYC or Chicago. Colorado, or California, is where I'd like to end up, and I cannot fathom paying off massive law school debt and then buying a house in the Bay Area. Not to mention that the economy/ budget/ schools will be in shambles here for a long time. Then there's that whole giant earthquake thing.

What I need to ascertain is the availability of biglaw/clerkship opportunities in Denver (I suspect there's not many, and they're quite competitive), and whether Northwestern would give me a significant bump over CU in getting that first job. My gut says no. But my gut is not an infallible source of data concerning law schools and employment.

I have an undergrad gpa that leaves a lot to be desired so I don't expect much scholarship $ from Boulder. Hopefully they'll kick me something though.

I bet CU will give you money. As far as you question about NU providing a significant bump, I really have no idea. Good luck!

robocall12

Postby robocall12 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:03 am

Is CU the slowest at processing apps or what? I am still sitting on incomplete after a month. I know they state that it can take some time to receive the hard copy from LSAC, but this is now getting a little ridiculous. I called a few days ago and they told me not to worry, and that they are just swamped with apps right now. Is this abnormal or did most others experience a huge delay before being listed as complete?

staloysius

Postby staloysius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:05 am

robocall12 wrote:Is CU the slowest at processing apps or what? I am still sitting on incomplete after a month. I know they state that it can take some time to receive the hard copy from LSAC, but this is now getting a little ridiculous. I called a few days ago and they told me not to worry, and that they are just swamped with apps right now. Is this abnormal or did most others experience a huge delay before being listed as complete?

I had the same experience. It took over a month to go complete, but then I got the decision just a few days later.

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Just got a scholarship offer today... 18k, 6k, and 6k with a 2.9 stipulation. Not to shabby and loved the CU ASW. Might end up here.

adika86

Postby adika86 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:Just got a scholarship offer today... 18k, 6k, and 6k with a 2.9 stipulation. Not to shabby and loved the CU ASW. Might end up here.

Email or snail mail? Thanks!

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm

adika86 wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:Just got a scholarship offer today... 18k, 6k, and 6k with a 2.9 stipulation. Not to shabby and loved the CU ASW. Might end up here.

Email... surprisingly.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:26 pm

staloysius wrote:
robocall12 wrote:Is CU the slowest at processing apps or what? I am still sitting on incomplete after a month. I know they state that it can take some time to receive the hard copy from LSAC, but this is now getting a little ridiculous. I called a few days ago and they told me not to worry, and that they are just swamped with apps right now. Is this abnormal or did most others experience a huge delay before being listed as complete?

I had the same experience. It took over a month to go complete, but then I got the decision just a few days later.

Most schools that get 3,500 aps have a larger admissions office.

Mayhem19

Postby Mayhem19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:
adika86 wrote:

Email... surprisingly.

Congrats! I'm still waiting on a possible scholarship, but hoping it will come soon. When did you get admitted to CU? Based on that maybe I can gauge when I might get a scholly too...

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Mayhem19 wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:
adika86 wrote:

Email... surprisingly.

Congrats! I'm still waiting on a possible scholarship, but hoping it will come soon. When did you get admitted to CU? Based on that maybe I can gauge when I might get a scholly too...

Thanks! Pretty stoked on it. But December 29th... I went to DSW last week and got to talk it up with all the admissions/scholarship comittee... so maybe that helped speed it up hahah

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 pm

I got the same.

sjayy89

Postby sjayy89 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Has anyone attemped to negotiate for more scholarship $? They offered me full for the first year and then $10,000 for my second and third. I think they only offer a few full for all three years but do you think it's worth it to ask for a bit more than 10K? I really want to go to CU but I just recenly spoke with a partner at a large firm in Denver and he was blunt in saying that you either need to be in top 10% or have some good connections to get a job in private practice (I have no connections in Denver).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Just to clarify, I think your big firm partner source was talking about big law only. Seems about 40% are going right into private practice, with maybe 30% going PD/DA/Other Gov and the rest working in JD preferred stuff, other stuff, or unemployed.

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 pm

sjayy89 wrote:Has anyone attemped to negotiate for more scholarship $? They offered me full for the first year and then $10,000 for my second and third. I think they only offer a few full for all three years but do you think it's worth it to ask for a bit more than 10K? I really want to go to CU but I just recenly spoke with a partner at a large firm in Denver and he was blunt in saying that you either need to be in top 10% or have some good connections to get a job in private practice (I have no connections in Denver).

I think that's the highest scholarship that they offer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”