CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 am

gabewatch wrote:I just received scholarship information by email. I have been offered full tuition for the first year, and then 10K for the 2nd and 3 yrd years, #s are in profile. This is an interesting offer, and based on the research I had done on previous cycles its more than I was expecting. Does anyone know if it is possible to get instate tuition after your first year?

Yes, in-state is automatic your 2L and 3L years. Just make sure you get a colorado ID and have twelve months of rent in Colorado by the time you start your 2L. Seriously haven't heard of anyone not being approved.

staloysius

Postby staloysius » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 am

coldshoulder wrote:Damn, I guess I was just a tiny bit less qualified with my numbers or something...
22k 1st year, 8k 2nd and 3rd years. Not sure if that's enough to make me go.

I got the same offer tonight via email. Not sure how I feel either.

yihdih

Postby yihdih » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:35 am

HankBeech wrote:
gabewatch wrote:I just received scholarship information by email. I have been offered full tuition for the first year, and then 10K for the 2nd and 3 yrd years, #s are in profile. This is an interesting offer, and based on the research I had done on previous cycles its more than I was expecting. Does anyone know if it is possible to get instate tuition after your first year?

+1

+2

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am

Congrats on the $$ everyone. Good to see CU being more generous this year.

wvu

Postby wvu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 am

staloysius wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Damn, I guess I was just a tiny bit less qualified with my numbers or something...

Same. Either I don't understand their tuition structure or that's a really weird scholarship.

adika86

Postby adika86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:06 am

I didn't get anything last night... wondering if they are finished or that was just the first wave? I was really expecting to get some $$ from CU.

B986

Postby B986 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am

I got $18k/$6k/$6k. Unfortunately, this is not enough to keep Colorado on the shortlist. Sad because I was very excited about the school. It just doesn't seem like they have much scholarship money to offer once you are already enrolled (unless you are Iranian-American, LGBT, live in certain counties, write a winning pro-life paper, etc). The scholarships seem limited and pretty specific.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:15 am

wvuchip wrote:
staloysius wrote:

Same. Either I don't understand their tuition structure or that's a really weird scholarship.

I e-mailed CU last year to ask how they came up with the difference between first and second/third year tuition, because the number is bigger than the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition. This was the reply: "first, that you can establish Colorado residency after one year if you are not already a resident, and second, we award several hundred thousand dollars in scholarship money to our upperclass students each spring. You would be eligible to compete for that money in the spring of your first year, although we have a preference for people who did not receive any money upon entering law school. Again, this is our effort to financially assist as many people as possible with our limited resources." The meeting for upperclass scholarships is in a couple weeks (March 21). I can definitely try to remember to post what my general vibe on them is more after that meeting.

There also seemed to be an implicit "if you lose your scholarship, you'll have at least gotten most of it" rationale too. I don't think I have heard that overtly from the administration though.

B986

Postby B986 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 am

LeDique wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
staloysius wrote:

I e-mailed CU last year to ask how they came up with the difference between first and second/third year tuition, because the number is bigger than the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition. This was the reply: "first, that you can establish Colorado residency after one year if you are not already a resident, and second, we award several hundred thousand dollars in scholarship money to our upperclass students each spring. You would be eligible to compete for that money in the spring of your first year, although we have a preference for people who did not receive any money upon entering law school. Again, this is our effort to financially assist as many people as possible with our limited resources." The meeting for upperclass scholarships is in a couple weeks (March 21). I can definitely try to remember to post what my general vibe on them is more after that meeting.

There also seemed to be an implicit "if you lose your scholarship, you'll have at least gotten most of it" rationale too. I don't think I have heard that overtly from the administration though.

This is all I could find as far as upperclass scholarship ops. Doesn't seem all that impressive, in my opinion, but maybe this list isn't comprehensive. --LinkRemoved--

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 am

I am assuming most people got the 2.9 GPA stipulation. Does anyone know how the grading works at CU. Any CU students able to comment on if this can be a problem for students with scholarships (know of anyone who lost theirs or anything?)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Curve is a hypothetical 3.3, but its inflated. Will probably be closer to a 3.4.

A 2.9 is all B's with one B-. These might be decent at a TTT, but these marks are super bad at CU. B's are bad grades here. So you would have to get all bad grades and one terrible grade. I can't imagine that happening. No, I don't know anyone that has happened to. People gripe about their "bad" grades when they have 3.2s and 3.3s.

In my civil procedure class of about 75 students, I saw that the worst grade in the class was a B-. She gave 4 of them...

No way your are losing those scholarships. Hope this helps.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Curve is a hypothetical 3.3, but its inflated. Will probably be closer to a 3.4

lolwut.

I think you've confused a median curve (which we have) and a mean curve.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 pm

LeDique wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Curve is a hypothetical 3.3, but its inflated. Will probably be closer to a 3.4

lolwut.

How so?

The $$$ comes with a 2.9 stip. The median here at CU is above a 3.3. Did I give bad advice?

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:45 pm

adika86 wrote:I didn't get anything last night... wondering if they are finished or that was just the first wave? I was really expecting to get some $$ from CU.

+1

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Curve is a hypothetical 3.3, but its inflated. Will probably be closer to a 3.4.

A 2.9 is all B's with one B-. These might be decent at a TTT, but these marks are super bad at CU. B's are bad grades here. So you would have to get all bad grades and one terrible grade. I can't imagine that happening. No, I don't know anyone that has happened to. People gripe about their "bad" grades when they have 3.2s and 3.3s.

In my civil procedure class of about 75 students, I saw that the worst grade in the class was a B-. She gave 4 of them...

No way your are losing those scholarships. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input.

der_saeufer

Postby der_saeufer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

Yes, in-state is automatic your 2L and 3L years. Just make sure you get a colorado ID and have twelve months of rent in Colorado by the time you start your 2L. Seriously haven't heard of anyone not being approved.

It's not quite automatic, but it's as close as it gets. Colorado's rules are exactly the same as California's: 12 months' residency, no leftover ties to your old state (voting, car registrations, etc.). As a US citizen/permanent resident law student you basically have to try not to get approved. There's no question of purpose in moving to Colorado nor intent to stay like some states have, and the dependency rules only apply to undergrads. (CU undergrad here, got the same scholarship offer as gabewatch as well).

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:03 pm

LeDique wrote:

lolwut.

How so?

The $$$ comes with a 2.9 stip. The median here at CU is above a 3.3. Did I give bad advice?

The median for each course is a 3.3. I do not know of any evidence that any 1L professor violated this, but I didn't look either.

Do you mean that the class median is likely closer to a 3.4? Because that is completely independent of the 3.3 median requirement.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 pm

LeDique wrote:
LeDique wrote:

lolwut.

How so?

The median for each course is a 3.3. I do not know of any evidence that any 1L professor violated this, but I didn't look either.

Do you mean that the class median is likely closer to a 3.4? Because that is completely independent of the 3.3 median requirement.

Yeah I mean the class median is likely a 3.4. The $$$ stip is independent of course, but when considering how likely it is to keep a scholarship people usually think about what percentage in the class they need to be. 3.3 isn't top half, its probably top 60%. Basically at CU you would have to be one of the worst students here to lose your scholarship. Like I said my Civ Pro only gave out 4 B-s.... I think one person got a C+ in Contracts. Actually I wonder what the lowest GPA is here... I mean, even if you got one of the B- in Civ Pro and the C+ in Ks, you could just snag a couple of the B+s that they hand out like crack around here and you would be fine. Every class is so different. I can't imagine one person getting all of the bad marks.

2.9 is probably bottom 5% of the class.

Texan1989

Postby Texan1989 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Last edited by Texan1989 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem19

Postby Mayhem19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Texan1989 wrote:Anyone know when CU starts evaluating their waitlist? 164/3.07 here really trying to get admitted. Already sent a LOCI, anything else I could do?

I was on the waitlist. Applied mid-November, notified of waitlist Jan. 11, admitted Feb. 17. So I suppose they are always being reevaluated as acceptances are withdrawn.

Haven't heard anything about schollys yet, though...

alphorn

Postby alphorn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 am

Any guesses on how many full tuition-10k-10k were awarded this year? I've counted five upthread so far. How many more can there be (realizing TLS is not representative of the general applicant population)? Seems very generous esp. for a public institution in this economy. Someone even chimed in w/ a full ride.

LSN shows 794 admits for class of 2010. Should we assume comparable numbers this year or has yield increased in recent years and thus admits decreased?

Lastly, are there so few transfers out b/c everybody wants to stay or b/c the administration discourages transferring? Is Colorado one of those schools from which the horror stories originate (i.e. profs are unwilling to write recs, etc.)?

holden147

Postby holden147 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 am

yihdih wrote:
HankBeech wrote:

+1

+2

+3.

der_saeufer

Postby der_saeufer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:24 am

holden147 wrote:
yihdih wrote:
HankBeech wrote:

+1

+2

+3.

Read up the thread.... It takes very little effort for a law student to become a Colorado resident.

yihdih

Postby yihdih » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Has anyone decided to attend CU yet? Or is anyone leaning towards CU? I am 90% sure that I will be attending CU

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”