CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coldshoulder

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Postby coldshoulder » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:28 am

wallflower1987 wrote:
rma wrote:
sgrimes wrote:lol all I can really say in response is 'wow'.... You come across as a person with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. As someone who has 'done their time' in the trenches of admin and service work, you're the person whose attitude deserves poor service and you fully earn your spot on the bottom of the 'to-do' list. But hey, to each their own and hopefully another school attracts you in another direction and those of us who got our apps in early and have had pleasant experiences/exchanges with CU get in. Best of luck.

+1

I just kinda hope you don't go to CU now.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:28 am

MTal wrote:I would go to this school just so I could take a class with Paul Campos.

I wonder if he just tells the class, "ok everyone, go home and drop out. Semester ended."

lawapp12

Postby lawapp12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 am

wallflower1987 wrote:
sgrimes wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:
sgrimes wrote:the admins have been nothing but wonderful every time I've called in.

See, I know I should just ignore this experience. Even if the lady in the admission office were a shrew, that has nothing to do with anything substantial. By the time they get to my file, if they admit me, I don't think my decision will be based in any part on that experience. Thanks for talking me down.

Be cautious of how you treat admins. People underestimate how easily they can make or break applications. I've had a handful of professors who sit on graduate admissions committees tell me that an applicant's treatment of the office staff can factor heavily into their decisions. Some admins are definitely rude and short, but they usually react negatively to callers who treat them as if they are 'below' them. I'm being overly presumptuous, but the tone of your previous post sounded as though you expect them to worship all applicants. They shouldn't be honored to read your application or answer your phone call, you should be honored and extremely thankful for their time. This includes the admissions committees AND the office staff. Plus in the rare event it's a committee member's wife, sister, relative, close fried, etc., you definitely don't want to piss them off.

That would be the part that really pissed me off, since you are so shocked. All I ever said was that they could at least be polite, like the admins at every other school have been. Your post would not even have bothered me, except for that one part. Remarking that the office was the only one that has been rude to me is not "expect[ing] them to worship all applicants." Putting that in my mouth made me sound like a whiny little bitch, when all I said was that they were not helpful and it gave me (admittedly irrational) pause in hoping to enroll there, knowing that these same people may one day be called upon to help in the immensely greater cause of finding a good job. If they can't help for 2 minutes, how can I trust that they will be helpful down the road? And in the post prior to your saying this, btw, I acknowledged that it was probably an unfounded sentiment and that I would likely dismiss it if and when I was actually offered admission (which is by no means a foregone conclusion with my GPA). There was no reason for you to say I was acting entitled, which is what you implied. If you have to preface a remark with "I'm being overly presumptuous, but...", it probably should not be said. There is no reason to be presumptuous, I have an email client (Thunderbird) that tells me any time I am notified that somebody responds. If you don't know, ask, don't presume anything. You don't even know me, and frankly your comment was insulting.

I agree with you wallflower. You're not asking for too much, and you don't sound self-entitled. Colleges and administration are providing a service it's not too much to ask that they do it politely. You wouldn't walk into another place of business and expect to be treated poorly, why is this any different...Best of luck, hope everything works out!

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:38 am

wallflower1987 wrote:
sgrimes wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:
sgrimes wrote:the admins have been nothing but wonderful every time I've called in.

See, I know I should just ignore this experience. Even if the lady in the admission office were a shrew, that has nothing to do with anything substantial. By the time they get to my file, if they admit me, I don't think my decision will be based in any part on that experience. Thanks for talking me down.

Be cautious of how you treat admins. People underestimate how easily they can make or break applications. I've had a handful of professors who sit on graduate admissions committees tell me that an applicant's treatment of the office staff can factor heavily into their decisions. Some admins are definitely rude and short, but they usually react negatively to callers who treat them as if they are 'below' them. I'm being overly presumptuous, but the tone of your previous post sounded as though you expect them to worship all applicants. They shouldn't be honored to read your application or answer your phone call, you should be honored and extremely thankful for their time. This includes the admissions committees AND the office staff. Plus in the rare event it's a committee member's wife, sister, relative, close fried, etc., you definitely don't want to piss them off.

That would be the part that really pissed me off, since you are so shocked. All I ever said was that they could at least be polite, like the admins at every other school have been. Your post would not even have bothered me, except for that one part. Remarking that the office was the only one that has been rude to me is not "expect[ing] them to worship all applicants." Putting that in my mouth made me sound like a whiny little bitch, when all I said was that they were not helpful and it gave me (admittedly irrational) pause in hoping to enroll there, knowing that these same people may one day be called upon to help in the immensely greater cause of finding a good job. If they can't help for 2 minutes, how can I trust that they will be helpful down the road? And in the post prior to your saying this, btw, I acknowledged that it was probably an unfounded sentiment and that I would likely dismiss it if and when I was actually offered admission (which is by no means a foregone conclusion with my GPA). There was no reason for you to say I was acting entitled, which is what you implied. If you have to preface a remark with "I'm being overly presumptuous, but...", it probably should not be said. There is no reason to be presumptuous, I have an email client (Thunderbird) that tells me any time I am notified that somebody responds. If you don't know, ask, don't presume anything. You don't even know me, and frankly your comment was insulting.

I find it mildly amusing that you deleted your original comments that I responded to. Regardless, I'm not overly concerned with your taking offense to my defense of admins and my perception of the tone of your (now deleted) comments. Feel free to comment further, but I'm finished with our exchange.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 am

sgrimes wrote: I find it mildly amusing that you deleted your original comments that I responded to. Regardless, I'm not overly concerned with your taking offense to my defense of admins and my perception of the tone of your (now deleted) comments. Feel free to comment further, but I'm finished with our exchange.

I took offense to your perception of the tone of my comments, which was formed based on a comment that is still posted... I deleted subsequent comments that I felt were combative because I'm not going to fight with you about something stupid. Reread the thread, you were presumptuous and insulting before I responded with anything that warranted deletion.

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:18 am

Any new movement/news about ED to RD applicants out there?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 am

top30man wrote:
MTal wrote:I would go to this school just so I could take a class with Paul Campos.

I wonder if he just tells the class, "ok everyone, go home and drop out. Semester ended."

He has a bunch of ongoing feuds with various professors and judges around the country (mainly Posner), so about a quarter of his classes are him ranting about that. Another quarter of his classes are him leading discussions on how law school is totally ridiculous. The remaining half of his classes are basically him riffing on some random topic tangentially related to the subject matter at hand.

If you really want to learn the actual law relating to whatever topic he's teaching, you're in the wrong class. If you want an entertaining class where you don't have to worry much about getting a bad grade (his finals are typically something like a take-home 6-10 page essay discussing some random quote from Fight Club), take Campos.

-Pufer

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:24 am

coldshoulder wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:
rma wrote:
sgrimes wrote:lol all I can really say in response is 'wow'.... You come across as a person with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. As someone who has 'done their time' in the trenches of admin and service work, you're the person whose attitude deserves poor service and you fully earn your spot on the bottom of the 'to-do' list. But hey, to each their own and hopefully another school attracts you in another direction and those of us who got our apps in early and have had pleasant experiences/exchanges with CU get in. Best of luck.

+1

I just kinda hope you don't go to CU now.

I probably won't even get into CU, so it doesn't really matter, but all I ever said was that their admissions office lady was kind of an asshole twice when I called, and while it ended well, it kinda dampened my enthusiasm (maybe unjustifiably) for the school. And anybody who posts a dumbass comment like "+1" deserves an equally stupid response, especially when they are responding to a quote that is a disparaging follow-up to an already insulting post by a self-proclaimed "overly presumptuous" poster. Hope to CU in the fall!

kokorozukai

Postby kokorozukai » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 am

lol...sgrimes trying to start somethn for no reason...

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 am

kokorozukai wrote:lol...sgrimes trying to start somethn for no reason...

lol yea you know me..... that's definitely been my style for the last few months

kokorozukai

Postby kokorozukai » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 am

sgrimes wrote:

lol yea you know me..... that's definitely been my style for the last few months

I didn’t interpret wallflower’s post in the same way you did. I just thought your response was unwarranted and that you got unnecessarily insulting.

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:09 am

kokorozukai wrote:
sgrimes wrote:

I didn’t interpret wallflower’s post in the same way you did. I just thought your response was unwarranted and that you got unnecessarily insulting.

my 'wow' reply was in response to a much different post that they went back and deleted after I wrote it. guess I should have quoted it.

yihdih

Postby yihdih » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:17 am

STOP.

minkopolis

Postby minkopolis » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:23 am

I've finally started withdrawing from schools, and it's down to Boulder and UC Hastings for me, but it will probably be Boulder (I actually did a little dance in the driveway when I got the CU acceptance letter). Both were reaches and top choices, so I feel very fortunate to have overcome a tragic LSAT :).

Anyone else in the same stage of their cycle? It feels good to be near the end after a lot of anxiety and craziness!

yihdih

Postby yihdih » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 am

minkopolis wrote:I've finally started withdrawing from schools, and it's down to Boulder and UC Hastings for me, but it will probably be Boulder (I actually did a little dance in the driveway when I got the CU acceptance letter). Both were reaches and top choices, so I feel very fortunate to have overcome a tragic LSAT :).

Anyone else in the same stage of their cycle? It feels good to be near the end after a lot of anxiety and craziness!

I'm trying to decide because it is noooo fun thinking about it all day. I just need to hear back from schools (especially CU) about scholly info.

minkopolis

Postby minkopolis » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

yihdih wrote:
minkopolis wrote:I've finally started withdrawing from schools, and it's down to Boulder and UC Hastings for me, but it will probably be Boulder (I actually did a little dance in the driveway when I got the CU acceptance letter). Both were reaches and top choices, so I feel very fortunate to have overcome a tragic LSAT :).

I'm trying to decide because it is noooo fun thinking about it all day. I just need to hear back from schools (especially CU) about scholly info.

Yeah, I'm still waiting on the financial info, too, but, w/ a low LSAT, I'm not expecting any miracles. You never know, though...

yihdih

Postby yihdih » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 am

I have looked at LSN but it is not totally clear what kind of money I could be looking at... Does anyone have an idea after looking at my numbers?

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Yikes! I missed a brawl. Damn.

Anyways, I withdrew from CU today. Hardest withdrawal yet. It's a great place, but I've decided to end the cycle, stay on the east coast, and go to W&L. Best of luck to everyone in decision making. I will envy your Western lifestyles forever.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 pm

yihdih wrote:I have looked at LSN but it is not totally clear what kind of money I could be looking at... Does anyone have an idea after looking at my numbers?

You could get a lot to a very little. CU uses a full file review. There was a guy on the thread last year who was irate over the fact.

He was a AA/Male with a 3.6 and a 170 LSAT. He was accepted, but no money. He was in at over half of the T-14 but wanted to go to CU so he could "ski." I guess his dad had a job ready for him back east.. He was completely entitled, and couldn't understand why CU would run their admissions office different than the rest of the country.

My point is, you just have no idea when it comes to CU. If they really like your recs, PS, resume, etc., I bet you will get one of their more generous offers. Last year that was 28k/12k/12k??? Anyway, I had a below 25th GPA and a lower LSAT than you and I still got money. Really can't tell. One of my friends here had a 163/4.0 and got a full-ride.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm

The 3.6/170 AA male admitted w/o money who wanted to ski in Colorado even though accepted to many T-14s may be an example of "scholarship yield protection".

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 pm

sgrimes wrote:Any new movement/news about ED to RD applicants out there?

Nothing. Sent in a LOCI last week (friendly admissions lady said to just e-mail it as a pdf attachment, no sense in wasting time in the mail). I will be visiting, hopefully, in a couple weeks. Sam Harris is giving a talk on his new book at CU so I figured I'd kill two ducks with one rock and schedule a tour for the same day. Hopefully they won't ding me by then - maybe they'll appreciate my initiative for the letter and the visit? It sounds/seems like they're serious about the holistic approach, which bodes well for me (I hope).

Good luck!

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 pm

milljp02 wrote:
sgrimes wrote:Any new movement/news about ED to RD applicants out there?

Nothing. Sent in a LOCI last week (friendly admissions lady said to just e-mail it as a pdf attachment, no sense in wasting time in the mail). I will be visiting, hopefully, in a couple weeks. Sam Harris is giving a talk on his new book at CU so I figured I'd kill two ducks with one rock and schedule a tour for the same day. Hopefully they won't ding me by then - maybe they'll appreciate my initiative for the letter and the visit? It sounds/seems like they're serious about the holistic approach, which bodes well for me (I hope).

Good luck!

Cool I hope you enjoy it! It's such a beautiful setting. Have you visited CO before? It will definitely be brown and dead looking for a while yet, but once spring hits it's amazing through the fall. The law building is gorgeous, the people are super nice and Boulder is very chill and laid back. There are miles upon miles of bike trails, hiking, dog parks galore, etc. Definitely the place to be if you love to be outside :) Unfortunately it's also very expensive to live there, so keep that in mind.

Good luck to you too!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The 3.6/170 AA male admitted w/o money who wanted to ski in Colorado even though accepted to many T-14s may be an example of "scholarship yield protection".

Haha. Wolf had CU "been smart" and "yield protected" they would have not even accepted him. He would have been waitlisted, then had he visited and really wanted to go here, they would have given him a full-ride.

He really wanted to go to CU and even visited to beg for $$$. I think he got a full-ride at DU and almost went there over T-14.

TosaJD

Postby TosaJD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

zapcaz wrote:Just got a very nice email from one of the professors on the admissions committee discussing how my interests are fulfilled by CU. Neat! Hoping that $ info will be coming out soon!!

I got a similar email as well! Did every admitted student receive an email like this?

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:26 pm

TosaJD wrote:
zapcaz wrote:Just got a very nice email from one of the professors on the admissions committee discussing how my interests are fulfilled by CU. Neat! Hoping that $ info will be coming out soon!!

I got a similar email as well! Did every admitted student receive an email like this?

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”