CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yihdih

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Postby yihdih » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:07 pm

trigoconchocolate wrote:
ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:Does anyone have any news on scholarships? I would have sworn the admit letter said they would start going out in January but I haven't heard of anyone getting any yet.

I got a full-tuition dean's scholarship (via e-mail) a few days ago, so those must have gone out first.

That's pretty good. I hope I am competitive for something close to that with my numbers. After looking at LSN, though, it didn't really seem like they give out that much money. We'll see. By the way, anyone know how to get onto the cu law admitted students portal?

zonecutz

Postby zonecutz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 pm

I applied to CU Law...I have mixed feelings about it though. I have lived in Colorado my entire life, and family life here has gotten somewhat rotten. A chance to get out of the state is perhaps the best option for me. Also, I received my B.A. from CU, and career services there sucked megaballs--I don't know about the administrative outfit over at the law school, but if the undergrad departments are analogue, get ready for some uselessness. I'm not sure that CU has much name recognition either, especially as far as the east and west coasts are concerned (i.e. the Buffs football team is horrid). I suppose it's cool if you plan on living out your life in Colorado...however Denver is somewhat of a cow town, and overall the economy sucks here. My Powerscore tutor graduated from CU Law--and was a Powerscore tutor full-time if that tells you anything. I always see sayings in the reviews like you'll never run out of things to do in such&such city. I'd say that if you actively seek out fun stuff to do in Denver & Boulder whilst attending CU you absolutely can exhaust every fun thing there is to do in the entire state--and you'll be stuck, like me--completely bored.

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:47 pm

zonecutz wrote:I applied to CU Law...I have mixed feelings about it though. I have lived in Colorado my entire life, and family life here has gotten somewhat rotten. A chance to get out of the state is perhaps the best option for me. Also, I received my B.A. from CU, and career services there sucked megaballs--I don't know about the administrative outfit over at the law school, but if the undergrad departments are analogue, get ready for some uselessness. I'm not sure that CU has much name recognition either, especially as far as the east and west coasts are concerned (i.e. the Buffs football team is horrid). I suppose it's cool if you plan on living out your life in Colorado...however Denver is somewhat of a cow town, and overall the economy sucks here. My Powerscore tutor graduated from CU Law--and was a Powerscore tutor full-time if that tells you anything. I always see sayings in the reviews like you'll never run out of things to do in such&such city. I'd say that if you actively seek out fun stuff to do in Denver & Boulder whilst attending CU you absolutely can exhaust every fun thing there is to do in the entire state--and you'll be stuck, like me--completely bored.

I grew up on the east coast my whole life and two years ago my family moved out to Ft. Collins. I really like CO, mountains are great, skiing is awesome, but I miss the east coast. Something about the lifestyle. Boulder is an absolutely gorgeous city (if you can get past the homeless people). CU's campus and their law school are real pretty too. Bolder Boulder is a pretty fun weekend.

Edit: out of all the law school admission staffs I've experienced, CU is definitely the slowest. Anyone know the average wait time between an application complete and a decision?
Last edited by CwallXC322 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zonecutz

Postby zonecutz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
zonecutz wrote:I applied to CU Law...I have mixed feelings about it though. I have lived in Colorado my entire life, and family life here has gotten somewhat rotten. A chance to get out of the state is perhaps the best option for me. Also, I received my B.A. from CU, and career services there sucked megaballs--I don't know about the administrative outfit over at the law school, but if the undergrad departments are analogue, get ready for some uselessness. I'm not sure that CU has much name recognition either, especially as far as the east and west coasts are concerned (i.e. the Buffs football team is horrid). I suppose it's cool if you plan on living out your life in Colorado...however Denver is somewhat of a cow town, and overall the economy sucks here. My Powerscore tutor graduated from CU Law--and was a Powerscore tutor full-time if that tells you anything. I always see sayings in the reviews like you'll never run out of things to do in such&such city. I'd say that if you actively seek out fun stuff to do in Denver & Boulder whilst attending CU you absolutely can exhaust every fun thing there is to do in the entire state--and you'll be stuck, like me--completely bored.

I grew up on the east coast my whole life and two years ago my family moved out to Ft. Collins. I really like CO, mountains are great, skiing is awesome, but I miss the east coast. Something about the lifestyle. Boulder is an absolutely gorgeous city (if you can get past the homeless people). CU's campus and their law school are real pretty too. Bolder Boulder is a pretty fun weekend too.

Edit: out of all the law school admission staffs I've experienced, CU is definitely the slowest. Anyone know the average wait time between an application complete and a decision?

It's too bad CSU doesn't have a law school. I think it would be a perfect and quaint setting for one. It would also be a great foil to the hipster CU feel.

sikemenow

Postby sikemenow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Waitlisted..submitted 1/10. Blah. I'll submit LOCI and see what happens.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I have a second letter of recommendation that is being held up FOREVER (submitted a month ago, several times since, sending straight to schools on Tuesday if LSAC doesn't sort their shit out fast)... Had to call all the schools and ask if they would accept the letter and explained the circumstances. Only office that offered resistance, excuses and surliness was Colorado. That's a good way to treat people who would have to invest serious money in your school, with the understanding that one day they may need help finding a job.

Considering how bad Colorado's career numbers are compared to my alternatives, I almost withdrew my application when I was on the phone with them. They were rude, tried to blame me for waiting to apply, and defended LSAC. Never mind that I could have walked that letter of recommendation to their office and delivered it by hand, from halfway across the country, by this time. That was the second time they have been rude, and they complain about their 'bucket' of applicants that they have to go through, and how that means they cannot be helpful, and they just don't have time. Even if I'm accepted here, I cannot imagine that I would go. I may eat those words, but right now I'm pretty disgusted. Out of 10 schools I called, they were the only ones who were not extremely helpful and friendly; in fact, they weren't even just apathetic, they were downright rude. Have to question the administration of a school that hires incompetent would-be secretaries to be the first face applicants see and the first voice they hear. This really sucks, because I do not want to judge the school by such a stupid measure, but I have to admit it affects how I would feel about going there. Maybe that will wear off.

burndtscorcho

Postby burndtscorcho » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Waitlisted recently as well.... Considering withdrawing with an acceptance to Utah.

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 am

I recently fired off a LOCI, not for the wait list, but because I was rolled from ED to regular. They should be getting around to looking at us soon. I did not have an unpleasant experience when I called the admissions office, maybe that's an isolated incident. It was a short call though and when I chat with folks at other offices (notably U Richmond) they're often more chatty in a good way.

BTW burndtscorcho, when were you at berklee? I was there '04-'07. Small world.

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 am

the admins have been nothing but wonderful every time I've called in.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:59 pm

sgrimes wrote:the admins have been nothing but wonderful every time I've called in.

See, I know I should just ignore this experience. Even if the lady in the admission office were a shrew, that has nothing to do with anything substantial. By the time they get to my file, if they admit me, I don't think my decision will be based in any part on that experience. Thanks for talking me down.

smhaaty

Postby smhaaty » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 am

wallflower1987 wrote:I have a second letter of recommendation that is being held up FOREVER (submitted a month ago, several times since, sending straight to schools on Tuesday if LSAC doesn't sort their shit out fast)... Had to call all the schools and ask if they would accept the letter and explained the circumstances. Only office that offered resistance, excuses and surliness was Colorado. That's a good way to treat people who would have to invest serious money in your school, with the understanding that one day they may need help finding a job.

Considering how bad Colorado's career numbers are compared to my alternatives, I almost withdrew my application when I was on the phone with them. They were rude, tried to blame me for waiting to apply, and defended LSAC. Never mind that I could have walked that letter of recommendation to their office and delivered it by hand, from halfway across the country, by this time. That was the second time they have been rude, and they complain about their 'bucket' of applicants that they have to go through, and how that means they cannot be helpful, and they just don't have time. Even if I'm accepted here, I cannot imagine that I would go. I may eat those words, but right now I'm pretty disgusted. Out of 10 schools I called, they were the only ones who were not extremely helpful and friendly; in fact, they weren't even just apathetic, they were downright rude. Have to question the administration of a school that hires incompetent would-be secretaries to be the first face applicants see and the first voice they hear. This really sucks, because I do not want to judge the school by such a stupid measure, but I have to admit it affects how I would feel about going there. Maybe that will wear off.

FWIW I've had the complete opposite experience from them. I couldn't log-on to my status checker, so I sent them an email. They called me the next day and got it all working. I've emailed them a few times after I got admitted and they have replied quickly and have been very helpful.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:10 pm

zonecutz wrote:Also, I received my B.A. from CU, and career services there sucked megaballs--I don't know about the administrative outfit over at the law school, but if the undergrad departments are analogue, get ready for some uselessness.

I'm sorry they sucked at the UG level. My undergrad had horrible career services as well. At the law school, every employee at the career services level is brand new. They hired two extra employees, and the new dean's number one goal is to have the best career services in the country. Still too early to tell, but they seem to be off to a good start.

zonecutz wrote: I'm not sure that CU has much name recognition either, especially as far as the east and west coasts are concerned (i.e. the Buffs football team is horrid).

First off, the Buff's football team has had some rough seasons but ended last year on a high note. They have a sweet stadium, big attendance, and some history of success (big 12 titles, 1990 national championship, 1994 heisman winner, etc). Other than that, I think your right. I will say that when I tell people I go to CU when I'm in Florida they nod and say "oh thats a good school." When I told them I was considering DU, none of them had heard of it, not even the attorneys.

zonecutz wrote: I suppose it's cool if you plan on living out your life in Colorado...however Denver is somewhat of a cow town, and overall the economy sucks here. My Powerscore tutor graduated from CU Law--and was a Powerscore tutor full-time if that tells you anything.

Unless people are in at T20 schools, the employment here is going to be the same as all the peer schools. I don't care if its, Hastings, UF, Wisco, UGA, or CU, if you have top 20% grades you have access to the market paying gigs in the respective areas and or/ Art. III clerkships. Everyone else just has to hustle. I can tell you that when I interview for jerbs in Denver or the Springs people have a very good impression of my school and my grades even though I'm at median. This could be because the medians at CU have shot up in the last ten years and many of the current legal market in CO understands they wouldn't even be able to get into the school today. (Off topic but did you know that ten years ago Vandy had a median LSAT of 161?? Damn I wish I was born in the 70's..)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:14 pm

zonecutz: Your numbers are quite low for CU's law school. The most recent medians are 164/3.64 & 164/3.61. Have you been admitted with a 159/2.9 ? Since you want a change of location, consider San Diego or Lewis & Clark. Good luck !
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yihdih

Postby yihdih » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm

yihdih wrote:
trigoconchocolate wrote:
ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:Does anyone have any news on scholarships? I would have sworn the admit letter said they would start going out in January but I haven't heard of anyone getting any yet.

I got a full-tuition dean's scholarship (via e-mail) a few days ago, so those must have gone out first.

That's pretty good. I hope I am competitive for something close to that with my numbers. After looking at LSN, though, it didn't really seem like they give out that much money. We'll see. By the way, anyone know how to get onto the cu law admitted students portal?

Eh, never mind. I just had to look on the admissions letter to get that information.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm

wallflower1987 wrote:Considering how bad Colorado's career numbers are compared to my alternatives, I almost withdrew my application when I was on the phone with them.

As has been said previously, the student body here is a little a typical. If you want a certain job, CU Law gives you as good a chance at it as any of their peer schools.

wallflower1987 wrote:They were rude, tried to blame me for waiting to apply, and defended LSAC. Never mind that I could have walked that letter of recommendation to their office and delivered it by hand, from halfway across the country, by this time. That was the second time they have been rude, and they complain about their 'bucket' of applicants that they have to go through, and how that means they cannot be helpful, and they just don't have time. Even if I'm accepted here, I cannot imagine that I would go.

I don't think this is any more irrational than what is par for the course. People make the strangest decisions about where to go to law school, and I don't blame you for being influenced by this. I can't even remember the school (maybe Tulane?) but I had a similar experience which turned me off a school. Very irrational, but I can't blame you for it.

People go to school at a place because when they visited the alternative school, it rained that day. Deans urge you to visit and go "where you feel at home." I know someone who went to OU because the dean of admissions wrote them a handwritten letter responding to several points on their personal statement.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Yanni wrote:Got in via mail with a 3.41/163. I did undergrad at CU and had strong letters of rec from two profs there. I'm crossing fingers for scholarship money, I don't think I'll go there without some given the recent employment statistics in Denver. I'll be going back to Boulder for the March 9th open house. If any of you want someone to show you around the town or the night life, let me know.

This is why I applaud CU Law, and also why they won't ever use their beautiful location to climb up the USNWR Rankings. You are under both medians. Wait and see if you get into any other schools where you are under both medians.

One of the few good schools I've encountered that actually use a "full file review." The only ones I know are Tulane, CU, and Cornell.

Congrats on CU. It was a big reach, and they must have really liked your story.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 pm

[/quote]
It's too bad CSU doesn't have a law school. I think it would be a perfect and quaint setting for one. It would also be a great foil to the hipster CU feel.[/quote]

The law school doesn't have a hipster feel FWIW. It has like a, mid-twenties hardworking ambitious, thing, going on. Maybe some of the UG colleges are hipster I dunno.

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 am

wallflower1987 wrote:
sgrimes wrote:the admins have been nothing but wonderful every time I've called in.

See, I know I should just ignore this experience. Even if the lady in the admission office were a shrew, that has nothing to do with anything substantial. By the time they get to my file, if they admit me, I don't think my decision will be based in any part on that experience. Thanks for talking me down.

Be cautious of how you treat admins. People underestimate how easily they can make or break applications. I've had a handful of professors who sit on graduate admissions committees tell me that an applicant's treatment of the office staff can factor heavily into their decisions. Some admins are definitely rude and short, but they usually react negatively to callers who treat them as if they are 'below' them. I'm being overly presumptuous, but the tone of your previous post sounded as though you expect them to worship all applicants. They shouldn't be honored to read your application or answer your phone call, you should be honored and extremely thankful for their time. This includes the admissions committees AND the office staff. Plus in the rare event it's a committee member's wife, sister, relative, close fried, etc., you definitely don't want to piss them off.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 am

[
Last edited by wallflower1987 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 am

lol all I can really say in response is 'wow'.... You come across as a person with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. As someone who has 'done their time' in the trenches of admin and service work, you're the person whose attitude deserves poor service and you fully earn your spot on the bottom of the 'to-do' list. But hey, to each their own and hopefully another school attracts you in another direction and those of us who got our apps in early and have had pleasant experiences/exchanges with CU get in. Best of luck.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 am

[
Last edited by wallflower1987 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:22 am

sgrimes wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:

Be cautious of how you treat admins. People underestimate how easily they can make or break applications. I've had a handful of professors who sit on graduate admissions committees tell me that an applicant's treatment of the office staff can factor heavily into their decisions. Some admins are definitely rude and short, but they usually react negatively to callers who treat them as if they are 'below' them. I'm being overly presumptuous, but the tone of your previous post sounded as though you expect them to worship all applicants. They shouldn't be honored to read your application or answer your phone call, you should be honored and extremely thankful for their time. This includes the admissions committees AND the office staff. Plus in the rare event it's a committee member's wife, sister, relative, close fried, etc., you definitely don't want to piss them off.

That would be the part that really pissed me off, since you are so shocked. All I ever said was that they could at least be polite, like the admins at every other school have been. Your post would not even have bothered me, except for that one part. Remarking that the office was the only one that has been rude to me is not "expect[ing] them to worship all applicants." Putting that in my mouth made me sound like a whiny little bitch, when all I said was that they were not helpful and it gave me (admittedly irrational) pause in hoping to enroll there, knowing that these same people may one day be called upon to help in the immensely greater cause of finding a good job. If they can't help for 2 minutes, how can I trust that they will be helpful down the road? And in the post prior to your saying this, btw, I acknowledged that it was probably an unfounded sentiment and that I would likely dismiss it if and when I was actually offered admission (which is by no means a foregone conclusion with my GPA). There was no reason for you to say I was acting entitled, which is what you implied. If you have to preface a remark with "I'm being overly presumptuous, but...", it probably should not be said. There is no reason to be presumptuous, I have an email client (Thunderbird) that tells me any time I am notified that somebody responds. If you don't know, ask, don't presume anything. You don't even know me, and frankly your comment was insulting.

rma

Postby rma » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 am

sgrimes wrote:lol all I can really say in response is 'wow'.... You come across as a person with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. As someone who has 'done their time' in the trenches of admin and service work, you're the person whose attitude deserves poor service and you fully earn your spot on the bottom of the 'to-do' list. But hey, to each their own and hopefully another school attracts you in another direction and those of us who got our apps in early and have had pleasant experiences/exchanges with CU get in. Best of luck.

+1

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 am

I would go to this school just so I could take a class with Paul Campos.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 am

rma wrote:
sgrimes wrote:lol all I can really say in response is 'wow'.... You come across as a person with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. As someone who has 'done their time' in the trenches of admin and service work, you're the person whose attitude deserves poor service and you fully earn your spot on the bottom of the 'to-do' list. But hey, to each their own and hopefully another school attracts you in another direction and those of us who got our apps in early and have had pleasant experiences/exchanges with CU get in. Best of luck.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”