CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

thelong wrote:Just got my status checker. Time to add it to my list of things to compulsively check.

Ayup.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:44 am

FYI

If you haven't checked/verified your status yet and have gotten the checker, I would recommend it. My app was submitted 10/25, and it was missing every document except my LSAT score. Only once I contacted them was the error caught ( and it took just a few hours to rectify).

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:51 pm

EMZE wrote:FYI

If you haven't checked/verified your status yet and have gotten the checker, I would recommend it. My app was submitted 10/25, and it was missing every document except my LSAT score. Only once I contacted them was the error caught ( and it took just a few hours to rectify).

My status checker has shown complete since I received it. Add CU to the list of schools having issues with status checkers.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Ginj wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:
Ginj wrote:Going to visit on Wednesday. Will report back.

ETA: Just got status checker.

Posting pics?

I will do my best.

Bumping this up. I want to hear how it went for you.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Just an FYI, if you are an older applicant/have a family, and are not keen on being able to afford living in Boulder, there are really close towns just down the road that are awesome places to live. Louisville was ranked like the #1 city in America to live in by money magazine, and it is something like 10 miles down the road from Boulder. I currently live in CO Springs and work at Fort Carson, but have family in Louisville and visit there often. Great place for a family.

ETA: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/snapshots/PL0846355.html

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:03 pm

EMZE wrote:Just an FYI, if you are an older applicant/have a family, and are not keen on being able to afford living in Boulder, there are really close towns just down the road that are awesome places to live. Louisville was ranked like the #1 city in America to live in by money magazine, and it is something like 10 miles down the road from Boulder. I currently live in CO Springs and work at Fort Carson, but have family in Louisville and visit there often. Great place for a family.

ETA: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/snapshots/PL0846355.html

Thanks so much for this! I was wondering about this!

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm

First of all, here are the pics I took. I'm sorry they kind of suck:

Here are my thoughts, keeping in mind that the entire time I was comparing it to DU. I also know that some of this is largely circumstantial and not totally objective. I recommend you visit for yourself.

My tour guide was not pleasant. In fact, the only purpose that she should have served was a source of knowledge about the school. This seemed to be a struggle for her. The one issue that is at the forefront for many prospectives, including myself, is job placement. She acted like she knew nothing about the school's stats, and she stated that she knew even less about any competition from DU. There were many times where she ran out of things to say, and I kind of had to ask her leading questions to keep her going. So, that was frustrating. One good bit of knowledge she imparted was that most of the law students venture into Denver for weekend outings. Boulder is reportedly overrun with undergrads. The Boulder to Denver drive...not a short one.

The law school facilities were built in 2006, so they're very new. I was told by my guide at DU that CU's facilities were run down, and I'm not exactly sure where she got that from. Their technology capabilities are up to date...all desks are equipped with enough plugs for all. The law school interior is structured in a way that has no open space. Everything leads off of the main staircase (pictured above). There are various study rooms and nooks and crannies to hide in, I suppose. I think that the layout makes a "community feeling" difficult to obtain. Though if you're looking for a quiet, secluded place to study, you're in luck. One amazing thing about CU, though, was that it seemed more separated from the undergrad than at DU. Those crazy kids.

I sat in on a Legislation and Regulation class. The professor, reportedly one of the "coolest," was soft spoken, but knowledgeable and sometimes funny. Compared to DU, the students seemed...not more intelligent...but definitely more serious about their studies. Consequently, also slightly more awkward and often combative with one another. The conversation was focused and involved, and whenever there was a debate, the students' answers were well thought-out and (mostly) careful. I got the impression that they were a bit more uptight than DU's student community. There was definitely a tense feeling in the room.

As a whole, and this is really important, the student body was less attractive than DU's. There also seemed to be TONS of dudes. Not bad for me, but maybe bad for you.

I also had the obligatory run-in with a current student who exclaimed, "DON'T DO IT! IT'S THE WORST INVESTMENT EVER!" Thanks, dude.

Overall, the campus is gorgeous, and having mountains right in the backyard is a plus. The facilities were nice, though I preferred DU's open space design. I appreciated the ways with which the students communicated with each other. It seemed intellectually stimulating, if sometimes aspie and abrasive. I'm now very confused as to whether I would take CU over DU.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any specific questions, you can ask here or PM me.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Ginj, you should post those photos in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572

What a pretty area though! Looks like nice weather too :D

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks for the report, Ginj! Im glad to hear your candid opinion about the overall experience.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Yeah thanks for the post, the only time I've been to CU was a few years back while on vacation (it's across the country), but it's very interesting to hear about your visit and to see some pictures!

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:11 pm

BKCentral wrote:Yeah thanks for the post, the only time I've been to CU was a few years back while on vacation (it's across the country), but it's very interesting to hear about your visit and to see some pictures!

PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Ginj wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Yeah thanks for the post, the only time I've been to CU was a few years back while on vacation (it's across the country), but it's very interesting to hear about your visit and to see some pictures!

PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME

Ohh hi. Had forgotten about this, didn't realize it was the same person haha.

thelong

Postby thelong » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks Ginj!

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the pics. I've been to Boulder before (have family that lives near the CU campus), but I wasn't visiting the law school. And, I didn't see much of the campus as I would have liked. Most of my info about CU comes from a professor that I worked for during graduate school who received his PhD in History from CU.

Bunch of dudes? Yeah, that is a problem for me. I need it to be like 60% female, 40% male...
:P
(I kid)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:03 pm

To the poster who visited the campus-

I think you were in my class? Was it Bruff for Leg/Reg? He was editor of the Harvard Law Review and is very well versed (and written) on this particular subject. I hope you enjoyed it.

I am a 1L who is studying for finals, but I thought I would respond to a few of the points made.

1. I toured about 15 different law schools before settling on CU, and none of the tour guides (a) knew anything about employment or (b) would feel comfortable answering that question. You need to schedule a meeting with career services to discuss that. Regardless, as far as your CU/DU question goes, I had a full-ride from DU and I am at CU. I did a lot of research before deciding, and employment was my number one concern.

2. More doods than girls???? No way the LS is like 55% women. Also, the 1L class is way more attractive than the 2L or 3L classes. Of course, woman must be divided into 0's and 1's, as you are either going to go for it or you are not, and there are plenty of 1's here at CU. The females are more attractive here than at the two Southern schools I seriously considered, FWIW.

3. Don't base your decision on anything I said in 2.

4. CU rocks! There are some gunners in Bruff's class, but generally speaking people here are diverse, kind, and fun to be around. I would agree that there is a more serious/studious culture at CU than at other schools in the region. People are smart and they work very hard. It is professional school, I know, but sometimes this gets difficult. I personally wish there were more social events. However, when we do have social events, they are generally epic.

Good luck! If you have any questions for me please send me a PM.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Nah. Wasn't me. The prof was female. Though if you saw a short redheaded chick wandering around, that was me. As far as the tour guide is concerned, I've also toured a good number of schools, and I never had any tour guide object to answering or lack the knowledge to answer similar questions.

Like I said, there are a lot of circumstances that impacted my experience there, and I understand that that may not have been representative...which is why I encourage everyone to visit.

I'm glad you're enjoying your time there. If you have any additional insight, we're all ears (eyes?).

ETA: It's 47% women, fwiw.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:To the poster who visited the campus-

I think you were in my class? Was it Bruff for Leg/Reg? He was editor of the Harvard Law Review and is very well versed (and written) on this particular subject. I hope you enjoyed it.

I am a 1L who is studying for finals, but I thought I would respond to a few of the points made.

1. I toured about 15 different law schools before settling on CU, and none of the tour guides (a) knew anything about employment or (b) would feel comfortable answering that question. You need to schedule a meeting with career services to discuss that. Regardless, as far as your CU/DU question goes, I had a full-ride from DU and I am at CU. I did a lot of research before deciding, and employment was my number one concern.

2. More doods than girls???? No way the LS is like 55% women. Also, the 1L class is way more attractive than the 2L or 3L classes. Of course, woman must be divided into 0's and 1's, as you are either going to go for it or you are not, and there are plenty of 1's here at CU. The females are more attractive here than at the two Southern schools I seriously considered, FWIW.

4. CU rocks! There are some gunners in Bruff's class, but generally speaking people here are diverse, kind, and fun to be around. I would agree that there is a more serious/studious culture at CU than at other schools in the region. People are smart and they work very hard. It is professional school, I know, but sometimes this gets difficult. I personally wish there were more social events. However, when we do have social events, they are generally epic.

I'm 99% sure they send the prospective students to Norton's LegReg class.

ETA: And because on the day in question, there were comments about prospective students in Norton's LegReg class on the facebook chat.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:56 pm

LeDique wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:To the poster who visited the campus-

I'm 99% sure they send the prospective students to Norton's LegReg class.

ETA: And because on the day in question, there were comments about prospective students in Norton's LegReg class on the facebook chat.

Aweomse 'tar.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:03 pm

LeDique wrote:ETA: And because on the day in question, there were comments about prospective students in Norton's LegReg class on the facebook chat.

Awesome.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Ginj wrote:
LeDique wrote:ETA: And because on the day in question, there were comments about prospective students in Norton's LegReg class on the facebook chat.

Awesome.

Don't get too excited... they were complaining about the short redhead. :D

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Awesome.

Yeah. That was more of a facetious "awesome." The girl I was with was watching everyone Facebook chat the whole time. I probably should have been reading over someone's shoulder.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Ginj wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Awesome.

Yeah. That was more of a facetious "awesome." The girl I was with was watching everyone Facebook chat the whole time. I probably should have been reading over someone's shoulder.

Facetious... greatest word ever... shortest word in the English language in which all vowels appear in order, and appear only once... Facetious.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Awesome.

The best part of the conversation was when everyone talked about how funny it would be if the prospective students could be reading it.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:17 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Facetious... greatest word ever... shortest word in the English language in which all vowels appear in order, and appear only once... Facetious.

Nerd.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:13 pm

They send students to more than one class. Bruff announced that we had visiting students on at least one day.

47% eh? I must have cited the 1L classes %'s, or vice-versa. Probably a good idea to look at comparable 1L classes because you will spend way more time with them in the future. For example, I don't know many 3Ls, and the 3Ls that were represented in the statistics when I shopped for schools have obviously all graduated.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”