CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LeDique

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Postby LeDique » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:54 pm

TosaJD wrote:In on 1/9/12! OOS 164/3.9 GPA. Hoping for a scholarship... does anyone know if CU is generous?

LeDique wrote:Last year, there were two main scholarships given out for OOS students. The biggest one is 24/8/8. The smaller one is like 12/4/4 or something. In-state is 8/4/4 generally. Scholarship information came out around the beginning of March. Last year it seemed like being above both medians got the 24/8/8, but splitters got the 12/4/4 one. When I e-mailed CU to negotiate, I was told that there is a large amount of scholarship money handed out to 2 and 3Ls each year. As a 1L, I have no idea how true that is. There is a list somewhere of the named scholarships available to those students that are 1000 or so each.

There's a lot of discussion in last year's thread about the amounts: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2125

corvid

Postby corvid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Gail wrote:
sgrimes wrote:I'm assuming CU waits until the end of the application cycle to reconsider WL people? If that's true, you might want to wait until closer to March 15 to send it in so it's fresh in their minds.

Of course, the opposite could be true and sending it now might show that you have high levels of interest in attending.

My advise is to base it on your desire to go there. If CU is the school for you, and you'll definitely go if you get in, send it now and make it clear that you're passionate about their program. Otherwise, wait until later if another school's admission or scholarship offer would significantly change your mind.

I know it's not solid advise, but hopefully it helps a little :)

For a truly effective LOCI campaign, I think that you should be in contact through intervals until they finally collapse and admit you. Everyone that I've talked to who has been admitted through WL was very tenacious about it.

Could you please expand on this topic? I want to prepare for WLs, so any info would be helpful.

I was complete 12/21, and had an update 1/3. Hopefully that means a decision is coming.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 pm

corvid wrote:
Gail wrote:
sgrimes wrote:I'm assuming CU waits until the end of the application cycle to reconsider WL people? If that's true, you might want to wait until closer to March 15 to send it in so it's fresh in their minds.

Of course, the opposite could be true and sending it now might show that you have high levels of interest in attending.

My advise is to base it on your desire to go there. If CU is the school for you, and you'll definitely go if you get in, send it now and make it clear that you're passionate about their program. Otherwise, wait until later if another school's admission or scholarship offer would significantly change your mind.

I know it's not solid advise, but hopefully it helps a little :)

For a truly effective LOCI campaign, I think that you should be in contact through intervals until they finally collapse and admit you. Everyone that I've talked to who has been admitted through WL was very tenacious about it.

Could you please expand on this topic? I want to prepare for WLs, so any info would be helpful.

I was complete 12/21, and had an update 1/3. Hopefully that means a decision is coming.

I'd e-mail a few days after the WL I received (not CU because I probably wouldn't have attended anyways, not sure why I applied). Telling them that I was still interested and telling them about some bit of good news number wise (for me, it was a jump in GPA).

I waited a few weeks and snail mailed a formal LOCI including the numbers and professional successes.

I'll wait for a few more weeks and mail them an update.

Closer towards April I'll mail them again reminding them of my interest.

corvid

Postby corvid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Gail wrote:
I'd e-mail a few days after the WL I received (not CU because I probably wouldn't have attended anyways, not sure why I applied). Telling them that I was still interested and telling them about some bit of good news number wise (for me, it was a jump in GPA).

I waited a few weeks and snail mailed a formal LOCI including the numbers and professional successes.

I'll wait for a few more weeks and mail them an update.

Closer towards April I'll mail them again reminding them of my interest.

Great, thank you.

initech

Postby initech » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Just checked for the first time in a while. Decision mailed 1/13

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 am

Did anyone figure out if the 1/13 with seat amounts and dates was an admit? Currently one of the 1/13 decision rendered people waiting on a letter.

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 am

coldshoulder wrote:Did anyone figure out if the 1/13 with seat amounts and dates was an admit? Currently one of the 1/13 decision rendered people waiting on a letter.

Amounts have consistently meant nothing, but dates have consistently meant admission. Congrats.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 pm

So I'm pretty sure I was admitted to CU (I have the seat deposits and due dates and it says decision rendered). My #s are 164/3.8. I feel like I can get a 168 on my LSAT (I had a bad 1st section on the LSAT due to nervousness). Is it worth it to re-take the LSAT in hopes of getting a higher LSAT score and more $$? Would a score lower than 164 hurt my $$ possibility if i re-take?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:09 pm

holden147 wrote:So I'm pretty sure I was admitted to CU (I have the seat deposits and due dates and it says decision rendered). My #s are 164/3.8. I feel like I can get a 168 on my LSAT (I had a bad 1st section on the LSAT due to nervousness). Is it worth it to re-take the LSAT in hopes of getting a higher LSAT score and more $$? Would a score lower than 164 hurt my $$ possibility if i re-take?

Absolutely re-take. A 168 gives you a chance to crack the T14. A lower score wouldn't hurt you at all.

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:18 pm

The 1/13 decision rendered with dates and deposit amounts were admits. Just got my letter. Congrats all.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm

ashley12 wrote:The 1/13 decision rendered with dates and deposit amounts were admits. Just got my letter. Congrats all.

Same! :P

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm

yay congrats you guys! :D still envious over here.... lol no change on mine yet. I'm choosing to take that as a good sign :)

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm

well a good *thing I should say. not a *sign

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:53 pm

sgrimes wrote:well a good *thing I should say. not a *sign

Nice profile pic grimes. I have that hanging in my living room. Alex Grey is an amazing artist. Also love his artwork for TOOL ;-D

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:05 pm

thanks! yes, he's amazing! One of my friends is lucky to live near his property and attends a lot of his celestial celebrations and public painting sessions.

And only the best for Maynard :)

holden147

Postby holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:10 pm

ashley12 wrote:The 1/13 decision rendered with dates and deposit amounts were admits. Just got my letter. Congrats all.

Mom called me to say I got rejected at Michigan but in at Colorado. So all in all a good day. :D

holden147

Postby holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Does CU provide reimbursements for ASW? I'm interested in going but flying from Ohio to Denver costs more money than I can afford.

I'll be visiting Lewis and Clark in mid-March so since I have a layover in Denver anyway my plan is to visit then.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:36 pm

current CU 1L here, happy to answer questions while i'm around or through PM...
congrats to all the admits! this is a pretty great place:)

last year CU was not very generous with ASD funding, but i think it's worth asking. i did and got nothing, but still worth a shot!

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

oldhippie wrote:current CU 1L here, happy to answer questions while i'm around or through PM...

last year CU was not very generous with ASD funding, but i think it's worth asking. i did and got nothing, but still worth a shot!

Any advice regarding getting off the WL? I really like CU but have some other great opportunities. I sent them a 3rd LoR today, but I'm wondering if I should send a LOCI along with it?

Thanks, and good luck with your studies.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 pm

hadisious wrote:
oldhippie wrote:current CU 1L here, happy to answer questions while i'm around or through PM...

Any advice regarding getting off the WL? I really like CU but have some other great opportunities. I sent them a 3rd LoR today, but I'm wondering if I should send a LOCI along with it?

Thanks, and good luck with your studies.

i can't speak from experience because i wasn't WLed, but i think a LOCI would be a good call....CU seems to look at things beyond numbers alone (although they are focused on numbers as all schools are) and if you can show them something more than just your numbers it may help......but that's an opinion based on my few months here, not on WL experience...
good luck!!

cch24

Postby cch24 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Got my admit letter!

holden147

Postby holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 pm

What is the best way to get from Denver Airport to CU? I won't have my car when/if I visit, so I just wanna know how to get there lol. I'll only have one carry-on bag, so luggage is not an issue when figuring out the mode of transportation.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Congrats to all my fellow admits! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

sgrimes

Postby sgrimes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:21 pm

There is a shuttle/bus that runs between Denver and Boulder.....but I honestly don't know the details. You can probably google public transportation info, but maybe someone else on here will know more. I live in Fort Collins so I never had to look into it. :) It might have to be an option if I get into CU though because I don't want to commute from FC every day and I can't afford to live in Boulder. So I'll have to move closer to Denver.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 pm

holden147 wrote:What is the best way to get from Denver Airport to CU? I won't have my car when/if I visit, so I just wanna know how to get there lol. I'll only have one carry-on bag, so luggage is not an issue when figuring out the mode of transportation.

bus service is awesome. from baggage claim, take the RTD bus (regional bus) called AB, that's the route from the airport to boulder. which stop to get off depends on where you're going...costs $11 or $13, can't remember...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”