CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alphorn

New

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Post by alphorn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am

smhaaty wrote:I think that's the highest scholarship that they offer.
What makes you say that?

smhaaty

New

Post by smhaaty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm

alphorn wrote:
What makes you say that?
I've never heard of anyone getting a full ride for all three years from CU.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:39 pm

smhaaty wrote:
alphorn wrote:
What makes you say that?

I know that it happens, but don't know how often. According to USNEWS 10% of the students are on full-rides; i'm guessing this is incorrect.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 pm

One of my close friend left the program and went to a lower ranked school. He felt that CU was extremely over rated and advised me to reconsider attending. I just wanted to pass that on because this guy is super reliable. He did well in the program, but feels like the ranking drove him there over his gut feeling. So make sure you are not going b/c of ranking.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:46 pm

smhaaty wrote:
alphorn wrote:
What makes you say that?
I personally know a student with a full ride for all three years. Generally, people don't know about each other's scholarships (I think I may have told someone once I had a small scholarship but you know, its bad form to talk about stuff like that). I found this out in a really weird way, but I can tell you for sure that there are at least some students who get full rides.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Comoncents wrote:One of my close friend left the program and went to a lower ranked school. He felt that CU was extremely over rated and advised me to reconsider attending. I just wanted to pass that on because this guy is super reliable. He did well in the program, but feels like the ranking drove him there over his gut feeling. So make sure you are not going b/c of ranking.
Kind of hard to defend my school against such vague anonymous criticism, but I would just say that my professors at CU Law have been, by far, the brightest people I've ever been around. Even among the adjuncts, they are all outstanding. I'm not saying that it isn't like this at other schools because I've never been to another law school (except on visits obviously), but I would caution people from jumping to conclusions just because one person who transferred gave some criticism. I'm not saying this to bash this person, but I didn't even know the people who transferred in my class, and I honestly didn't even notice a couple of people transferred until it came up in conversation months after the fact. The only people I know who transferred did so because of family/personal reasons.

edit: I came to CU with the intent of transferring if I got good grades my first year. (I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to refute this criticism with a personal anecdote) I finished in the top 10% and subsequently made law review. Because of my outstanding experience here my first year (and my wonderful classmates), I didn't even bother filling out a single transfer application (and I wasn't offered any sort of scholarship or anything to stay, I just love this school and the people here so much).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Comoncents wrote:One of my close friend left the program and went to a lower ranked school. He felt that CU was extremely over rated and advised me to reconsider attending. I just wanted to pass that on because this guy is super reliable. He did well in the program, but feels like the ranking drove him there over his gut feeling. So make sure you are not going b/c of ranking.
Everyone here is overwhelmingly happy with the school. Your "super reliable" friend was messing with you, you are trolling, or both. Who does well at a school then transfers to a lower ranked school anyway? Also who can have a proper frame of reference to know if a school is "overrated?"

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:18 pm

What they said. Caveat, I'm currently top 10% at CU. I'm only even considering transfer apps to HYS for whatever it's worth. Don't really expect to get in, but that's what it would take to get me to transfer.

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:37 pm

smhaaty wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:Just got a scholarship offer today... 18k, 6k, and 6k with a 2.9 stipulation. Not to shabby and loved the CU ASW. Might end up here.
I got the same.
Same here as well. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 pm

My status check updated to Decision rendered on 3/16/12 and we have mailed a decision letter 3/19/12

Is this a good sign, bad sign, or just what they do for everyone? Feels good that they would send a letter and not just ding me through an email.

staloysius

New

Post by staloysius » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:47 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:My status check updated to Decision rendered on 3/16/12 and we have mailed a decision letter 3/19/12

Is this a good sign, bad sign, or just what they do for everyone? Feels good that they would send a letter and not just ding me through an email.
Not sure what to tell you. My acceptance letter was a single sheet of paper with very little info other than a "congratulations" and instructions about the admitted students' website.

JMGuevara12

New

Post by JMGuevara12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

staloysius wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:My status check updated to Decision rendered on 3/16/12 and we have mailed a decision letter 3/19/12

Not sure what to tell you. My acceptance letter was a single sheet of paper with very little info other than a "congratulations" and instructions about the admitted students' website.
+ 1

HeadToWall

New

Post by HeadToWall » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm

JMGuevara12 wrote:
staloysius wrote:

+ 1
Well I can tell you that waitlists are sent by email (another of many waitlists for me), and I guess that they wouldn't bother mailing rejections if they don't mail waitlists. I expect you'll be getting a nice letter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mayhem19

New

Post by Mayhem19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

HeadToWall wrote:
JMGuevara12 wrote:
staloysius wrote:

+ 1
Well I can tell you that waitlists are sent by email (another of many waitlists for me), and I guess that they wouldn't bother mailing rejections if they don't mail waitlists. I expect you'll be getting a nice letter.
Actually, I received waitlist by mail, and then acceptance by mail as well. I've also heard people receive scholarships by email or by mail, so it doesn't much sound like they have a system or any rhyme or reason to their notification.

Makes it kind of fun waiting on scholarships, taking bets on which way I will find out if they offer me one...

der_saeufer

New

Post by der_saeufer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 pm

staloysius wrote:

+1; I got mine and was like "WTF, my alma mater dinged me?!" until I opened it. My scholarship info was e-mailed and then snail-mailed a couple days later, full/10/10 like a lot of people on here seem to have gotten.

zx92027xz

New

Post by zx92027xz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Visited the campus today and sat in on a crim law class. Flew to CA this evening to find that they updated my status to decision rendered literally while I was on campus. Lol I guess I wait the mailman now.

rma

Bronze

Post by rma » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 am

HeadToWall wrote:
JMGuevara12 wrote:
staloysius wrote:

+ 1
My wait list letter was sent via snail mail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:45 am

My waitlist letter was via snail mail, and IIRC some people were rejected via snail mail earlier in the cycle as well.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 am

Withdrew today. Best of luck to everybody ITT!

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail. Pretty excited about this one... was expecting a definite rejection. One of my best friends finished up her JD/MBA at Boulder this past spring and she had great things to say about the program.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Sherlock1708 wrote:Waitlisted today via snail mail. Pretty excited about this one... was expecting a definite rejection. One of my best friends finished up her JD/MBA at Boulder this past spring and she had great things to say about the program.
1. LOCI
2. Call in once a month until you are accepted
3. LOCI again in July

If you write well, are friendly and likable during the calls, and are above one of the medians I would guess you had a very good chance at admittance. FWIW current student who knows a few people people who got off the wait list in late July or August.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that my year they were taking people off the waitlist even until orientation. Just a consideration if you really want to go to CU.

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks. I'm taking the LSAT in June again because I'm on 6 waitlists right now and am not particularly thrilled with any of my acceptances so far. I never thought Boulder would be an option for me, so now I'm even more motivated for the June test.

the lantern wrote:I'm pretty sure that my year they were taking people off the waitlist even until orientation. Just a consideration if you really want to go to CU.

bajafresk

New

Post by bajafresk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am

hey guys,

i went decision rendered on 3/23 and decision sent by mail on 3/26. I went through the whole post and saw that those who have been accepted, before receiving their letter, noticed their seat deposit notice appeared with due dates. the feeling here is that means you've been accepted. People who've been waitlisted/rejected don't see such changes, but still say that the seat deposit was visible on their status page

For me, I have never seen any seat deposit on my status page at all, since day 1 when i was incomplete or when i became complete. i've looked over the entire status page hundreds of times and cannot see it. can anyone direct me to where it would be located? am i the only one where there are no seat deposits listed? any help would be great guys

staloysius

New

Post by staloysius » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:14 am

bajafresk wrote:hey guys,

i went decision rendered on 3/23 and decision sent by mail on 3/26. I went through the whole post and saw that those who have been accepted, before receiving their letter, noticed their seat deposit notice appeared with due dates. the feeling here is that means you've been accepted. People who've been waitlisted/rejected don't see such changes, but still say that the seat deposit was visible on their status page

For me, I have never seen any seat deposit on my status page at all, since day 1 when i was incomplete or when i became complete. i've looked over the entire status page hundreds of times and cannot see it. can anyone direct me to where it would be located? am i the only one where there are no seat deposits listed? any help would be great guys
I was accepted and my status page does not have seat deposits listed. For some schools this is a tip off, but for others it isn't. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”