Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 pm

UDFlyers90 wrote:I've all but ruled OSU out (Sitting out this cycle and reapplying next year) but just out of curiosity I have some placement and transferring questions pertaining to OSU, and I guess top 50 schools in general. These are obviously both hypothetical (I know tls insist never ever wonder about being first in the class since law school grades apparently are completely uncorrelated to anything and follow a random walk) but how well does the tippy top of Moritz's class place? I'm referring to the top 1-3%, do they place nationally? Also, maybe there isn't much data on this but would a hypothetical (again I know never anticipate being number 1 in your class) numero uno in Moritz class have a fighting chance of transferring to a T6, perhaps even YHS?
There is quite a bit of job placement data on Moritz's website, under the career services for prospective students tab. It appears that the top 10% have a decent amount of flexibility with regards to DC and Chicago, but it does not look like NYC is very common. OSU is very good at placing graduates in Ohio biglaw and mid-law, and to a lesser extent DC+Chicago biglaw. Outside of those areas, it would probably be hard for any OSU grad to land a job w/o significant ties and top 3% (summa cum laude) class placement. Also, if you're looking to work in a market outside of these geographic areas, I would look to go to law school where you want to practice after graduation. Don't bet on being top 3%, or else you might end up being stuck in Ohio.

With regards to your second hypothetical, I have no clue. I have heard around here that you either need to be in the top 10% at another t-14, or literally be the top person in your class at a t1 to break into the HYS schools as a transfer.

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Just got in via phone call today! I am STOKED and am definitely attending Moritz! Woot!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 pm

legalsinger wrote:Just got in via phone call today! I am STOKED and am definitely attending Moritz! Woot!
YAY!! Congrats!!! I had my fingers crossed for you, I'm glad it worked out :)

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 pm

If you are not independently financing law school, is it impossible to establish in-state residency for 2L/3L?

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
legalsinger wrote:Just got in via phone call today! I am STOKED and am definitely attending Moritz! Woot!
YAY!! Congrats!!! I had my fingers crossed for you, I'm glad it worked out :)
Thanks! So much to get in order between now and then!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm

nucky thompson wrote:If you are not independently financing law school, is it impossible to establish in-state residency for 2L/3L?
It's comparatively easier than other schools to do and most people do it. There are a lot of restrictions though. You cannot accept any money from out of the state, including gift from family or tax returns from other states. You can't leave the state for longer than some specified period of time (I want to say two weeks?). I'm not doing it, but this is what I've heard. But, it's absolutely doable and lots of people do it. Just be prepared to deal with some hoops. Our financial aid guy, Marc, is awesome and will help walk you through it all.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 am

lifestooquick wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:If you are not independently financing law school, is it impossible to establish in-state residency for 2L/3L?
It's comparatively easier than other schools to do and most people do it. There are a lot of restrictions though. You cannot accept any money from out of the state, including gift from family or tax returns from other states. You can't leave the state for longer than some specified period of time (I want to say two weeks?). I'm not doing it, but this is what I've heard. But, it's absolutely doable and lots of people do it. Just be prepared to deal with some hoops. Our financial aid guy, Marc, is awesome and will help walk you through it all.
Just to note: I'm pretty sure you have to be in Ohio 1L summer UNLESS you do the DC or Oxford program, since those are OSU programs.

tonymontana45

New

Post by tonymontana45 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Accepted today, anyone have any advice on finding housing this late?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”