Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawyerinwaiting

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lawyerinwaiting » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Officially accepted today! So excited!!!

mind sharing your numbers and your complete date? Ive been in review since 1/20/2012...ive called them the past 2 mondays and they've assured me that my decision will be made by the end of the week. I hold my breath till friday....and NOTHING! This has happened twice now :(...I know my numbers arent stellar so im wondering if theyre just thinking of a polite way to drop the hammer since I went to undergrad there and personally know a couple of people on the admissions committee. I just want to know! Im tired of waiting man! SHEESH

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 pm

lawyerinwaiting wrote:

mind sharing your numbers and your complete date? Ive been in review since 1/20/2012...ive called them the past 2 mondays and they've assured me that my decision will be made by the end of the week. I hold my breath till friday....and NOTHING! This has happened twice now :(...I know my numbers arent stellar so im wondering if theyre just thinking of a polite way to drop the hammer since I went to undergrad there and personally know a couple of people on the admissions committee. I just want to know! Im tired of waiting man! SHEESH

161 lsat and 3.4 lsdac Gpa. These are not necessarily great numbers, but I had a really good PS, and I had a good LOR from a OSU graduate who was a professor of mine. Also I wrote a DS based on non-URM topic.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:36 am

I think quite a few of you are here today! :) You may even be in my property class this afternoon. If you are, stick around after class - usually there's a group of students (that aren't coached by admissions :wink:) that will answer any questions you might have, etc.

And, as always, if you have any questions about ANYTHING I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability (here, via PM, in person, whatever). Also available if you want to meet up for a student perspective...I'm sure I'll just be holed up in the library the next couple days anyway!

lawyerinwaiting

Postby lawyerinwaiting » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
lawyerinwaiting wrote:

161 lsat and 3.4 lsdac Gpa. These are not necessarily great numbers, but I had a really good PS, and I had a good LOR from a OSU graduate who was a professor of mine. Also I wrote a DS based on non-URM topic.

got waitlisted today....

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:44 am

lifestooquick wrote:I think quite a few of you are here today! :) You may even be in my property class this afternoon. If you are, stick around after class - usually there's a group of students (that aren't coached by admissions :wink:) that will answer any questions you might have, etc.

And, as always, if you have any questions about ANYTHING I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability (here, via PM, in person, whatever). Also available if you want to meet up for a student perspective...I'm sure I'll just be holed up in the library the next couple days anyway!

I'm likewise free and welcome to distractions. I'm usually camped out in the student lounge, though, not the library. :)

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Anyone know if OSU has ever rescinded acceptance or scholarship money based on last semester of senior year, I'm having one of those "fun" semesters and wondering if I need to lock it down for finals? I'll still graduate and I won't fail anything but still curious

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:06 pm

TopSider11 wrote:Anyone know if OSU has ever rescinded acceptance or scholarship money based on last semester of senior year, I'm having one of those "fun" semesters and wondering if I need to lock it down for finals? I'll still graduate and I won't fail anything but still curious

Never heard of that happening, but latin honors from undergrad can stay on your resume forever, so I would still try unless even a 4.0 this semester would make cum laude impossible. And even then...

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Lwoods wrote:
TopSider11 wrote:Anyone know if OSU has ever rescinded acceptance or scholarship money based on last semester of senior year, I'm having one of those "fun" semesters and wondering if I need to lock it down for finals? I'll still graduate and I won't fail anything but still curious

Never heard of that happening, but latin honors from undergrad can stay on your resume forever, so I would still try unless even a 4.0 this semester would make cum laude impossible. And even then...

Yeah already checked and even with a 4 I'll end up 3.4 . I'll try and be somewhat responsible just in case haha

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Sending in my deposit tomorrow and setting up a meeting with FA office on Thursday. Is there any place at OSU that grad students post fliers looking for house-mates? Any recommendation for where to look for house rentals in quieter areas relatively nearby the law school? So excited to attend OSU!

JVanHo

Postby JVanHo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Sending in my deposit tomorrow and setting up a meeting with FA office on Thursday. Is there any place at OSU that grad students post fliers looking for house-mates? Any recommendation for where to look for house rentals in quieter areas relatively nearby the law school? So excited to attend OSU!

Quiet areas relatively close & quiet: Grandview, German Village, Upper Arlington, & parts of Short North. You'll probably find more OSU students looking for house-mates in Grandview and Short North.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:54 pm

I highly recommend Victorian Village. I love it :) I lived in German Village before and I wouldn't live that far from campus. Some people do it, but I wouldn't want to.

flashforward2

Postby flashforward2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 am

In today...does anyone know how long they take to get back to you on FA and/or scholarship info?

UDFlyers90

Postby UDFlyers90 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Last edited by UDFlyers90 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Just got $7,500 renewable scholarship with 2.0 stip. The $7.5k scholly plus in-state tuition is going to be very nice. To anybody that knows, what are the realty companies best to work with regarding fair prices on apartments, rental houses, etc? Anybody interested in living with a quiet, studious, easy-going dude, lol?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:23 pm

UDFlyers90 wrote:After having been waitlisted pretty hard by the big 14, OSU has suddenly become a more and more appealing option. As far as housing goes I'm not too familiar with the area around campus having never actually lived in columbus. My friends from undergrad who are moving to cbus for jobs are talking about getting a place in "brewers yard" which looks to be by the German Village? I'm familiar with the German Village so just off the top of my head this seems really far from school. That being said, what are the most popular places for law students to live? I know the school realllly pushes the campus gateway apts but I hear these are really expensive as well.

I have friends who live in Brewer's Yard! They have a great pool. I live pretty close and don't think the commute is that bad. It's just too far to run home between class. The drive is about 10 minutes one way. There's a good contingency of law students who live in the German Village/Brewery District area.

More live around campus, though, and Short North, Victorian Village, etc. it can be a little tricky if you don't know the area, but while the Short North is awesome an upscale, and the area right by the law school (South Gateway) is also great, there's this questionable stretch along High between the two from roughly 5th Ave to 9th Ave. Closer to Neil, though, seems fine as well. You should be able to tell from looking, though. I you're going sight-unseen, check it out on Googlemaps or just ask LTQ or me.

I know I've mentioned it before, but consider parking expenses if you'd have to drive. The easiest parking is Gateway garage for $85/month, but there are cheaper campus parking options, too.

charliep

Postby charliep » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

i e-mailed admissions with a question a few days ago and have yet to hear back. should i wait or follow up?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 pm

charliep wrote:i e-mailed admissions with a question a few days ago and have yet to hear back. should i wait or follow up?

I would call to follow up.

JVanHo

Postby JVanHo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote: To anybody that knows, what are the realty companies best to work with regarding fair prices on apartments, rental houses, etc?

I rent from Wallace F Ackley Co. They have quite a few properties in Grandview/Upper Arlington and I've had nothing but smooth sailing with them. I'm not sure what kind of properties they have outside of the Grandview/UA area, though. If you're looking for somewhere West of campus around 5th Ave or Lane they're definitely worth a look.

On a side note, my wife previously rented from KRG (Kohr, Royer, & Griffith) and absolutely despises everything about them.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm

I personally wouldn't live at Brewer's Yard. It's nice, but it's expensive and far away. Really the far away part would bug me. I lived in German Village before I was in school and my husband was taking the bus to OSU and it took him 40 minutes. Also parking can be crazy if you're driving. So yeah, I agree with everything Lwoods said :)

I live in Victorian Village and love it. Seriously, there is an entire row of apartment communities on Thurber Dr - check them out. Another good apartment community is Olentangy Village. It's north of campus and in a nice area.

Wallace F. Ackley is a good landlord co. if you want Grandview or Upper Arlington. They don't allow pets in any of their properties though (in case that's an issue for anyone).

Check out http://www.metro-rentals.com for listings!

Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:09 pm

If you don't want to do the complex thing, Craigslist, Craigslist, Craigslist. Padmapper.com is pretty great too!

lifestooquick wrote:I personally wouldn't live at Brewer's Yard. It's nice, but it's expensive and far away. Really the far away part would bug me. I lived in German Village before I was in school and my husband was taking the bus to OSU and it took him 40 minutes. Also parking can be crazy if you're driving. So yeah, I agree with everything Lwoods said :)

I live in Victorian Village and love it. Seriously, there is an entire row of apartment communities on Thurber Dr - check them out. Another good apartment community is Olentangy Village. It's north of campus and in a nice area.

Wallace F. Ackley is a good landlord co. if you want Grandview or Upper Arlington. They don't allow pets in any of their properties though (in case that's an issue for anyone).

Check out http://www.metro-rentals.com for listings!

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:16 am

FWIW, whether or not German Village is too far depends on what you want. I live in the heart of German Village and leave 35-40 minutes before class starts and I'm usually in class 10 minutes early. I park at the South Campus Gateway Garage which is more expensive but has plenty of parking. It's a 12-15 minute drive. I have a friend who also lives in German Village but he parks in the "law school lot" and he has to leave a lot earlier to get a parking spot. But, that's how it is no matter where you live.

JVanHo

Postby JVanHo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:37 pm

"I got a love that keeps me waiting." - The Black Keys

While I'm still under review at OSU I have a few questions:

A WL at Moritz is basically a rejection, correct? How late in the cycle do they typically continue accepting applicants? Lastly, would it help my cause if I told Moritz I have withdrawn from every other school I applied to (I've already told them I will attend if accepted)?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 pm

JVanHo wrote:"I got a love that keeps me waiting." - The Black Keys

While I'm still under review at OSU I have a few questions:

A WL at Moritz is basically a rejection, correct? How late in the cycle do they typically continue accepting applicants? Lastly, would it help my cause if I told Moritz I have withdrawn from every other school I applied to (I've already told them I will attend if accepted)?

I have multiple friends in my section who got in off the wait list. One of my best friends actually got in off the wait list just a couple days before orientation! A WL here is definitely not an automatic rejection. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone will get in off the waitlist but there is hope.

I think a LOCI couldn't hurt!

JVanHo

Postby JVanHo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:36 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I think a LOCI couldn't hurt!

I've e-mailed them twice in the past two weeks with what would amount to an LOCI (once to a specific person, once to the lawadmit e-mail), do you think it would be more effective to send a letter in the mail?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:41 pm

JVanHo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I think a LOCI couldn't hurt!

I've e-mailed them twice in the past two weeks with what would amount to an LOCI (once to a specific person, once to the lawadmit e-mail), do you think it would be more effective to send a letter in the mail?

Nah, I think the emails you sent are probably enough then.

I know it sucks, but you may just have to ride out the waitlist at this point. They know it's your number one choice, you've done what you can!

Good luck!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”