Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LBrown
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby LBrown » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:36 pm

This might be a dumb question but is the Moritz Academic Merit Scholarship different from the Moritz Merit Scholarship (the scholarship that required an application). I was told I received a Moritz Academic Merit Scholarship (yay!), but am a little confused because I did not send in an application. Could someone clarify? Thanks!

LBrown
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby LBrown » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Nevermind. I answered my own question. Google is a wonderful thing.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby seancris » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Admitted today. Not sure if I got any scholarship offer. Status checker says no decision but an admitted students' notice is listed in my mailingds and I got a phone call from Columbus that I missed.

4.0/163, applied Jan 3rd. OOS.

User avatar
zx92027xz
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby zx92027xz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Got an email today for a $7k Moritz leadership scholarship renewable w/ 2.0 stip.
160/3.9, enlisted USAF

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby seancris » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm

zx92027xz wrote:Got an email today for a $7k Moritz leadership scholarship renewable w/ 2.0 stip.
160/3.9, enlisted USAF


How long ago were you admitted? And do the scholarship offers come through snail mail as well?

jharf61990
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby jharf61990 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:19 am

Question: If i got 16k/yr OOS and I become in-state after my first year, will the scholarship remain the same? Thanks!

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Lwoods » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 am

jharf61990 wrote:Question: If i got 16k/yr OOS and I become in-state after my first year, will the scholarship remain the same? Thanks!


Congrats! Glad (and a little jealous) they're giving out more than $12k this year.

I can't answer with certainty but I'm pretty sure scholarship amounts remain the same regardless of instate/OOS designation. I say that because they don't appear to take residency into consideration when awarding scholarships in the first place. Also, while I imagine the scholarship offer has either a 2.0 or 2.5 GPA stipulation, I'm guessing it didn't have any language about residency. Further, the offer is for an amount, not a percentage of tuition.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby seancris » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:18 am

Do scholarship offers typically come with the admissions packets?

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Green Glass Windows » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 am

seancris wrote:Do scholarship offers typically come with the admissions packets?

No. I got mine a couple weeks later.

User avatar
Supurbia
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Supurbia » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:06 am

Still waiting on decision.... I wonder if they are holding for all applicants. At both medians. :|

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Lwoods » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Anyone coming to ASW this weekend? A handful of us TLSers met up last year around this time, and it was a good time.

There's also a social event Friday night where you can meet current students. LTQ and I will probably be there.

User avatar
Supurbia
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Supurbia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm

I will be in Columbus this weekend, but am not yet admitted. So, I guess the next 3 days will decide.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Lwoods wrote:There's also a social event Friday night where you can meet current students. LTQ and I will probably be there.

Yup! I hope some of you are there :)

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby TIKITEMBO » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Anyone else get the Financial Aid Documentation Required thing? It says to go to the OSU website and select where you need to put in more info under "incoming students" or "enrolled students". Trying to see if that's a sign that I was admitted or if it's just general mailing...

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby wvu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Just got in via email. Waiting on scholly info now.

hurricane12345
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:21 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby hurricane12345 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Does OSU give many scholarships above $16k/year? If so up to what amount per year?

Is the only way to get a full ride to apply for the Moritz scholarship? They don't hand these out without the extra application?

Sorry if this has been answered before, thanks guys.

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Green Glass Windows » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:07 pm

hurricane12345 wrote:Does OSU give many scholarships above $16k/year? If so up to what amount per year?

Is the only way to get a full ride to apply for the Moritz scholarship? They don't hand these out without the extra application?

Sorry if this has been answered before, thanks guys.

Doesn't seem like it. I believe the Moritz scholarship is the only way to get a full ride, and yes, you do have to apply. UG at OSU, and the school in general is more or less stingy about scholarships. Keep in mind, though, that you can get in state after a year, which is extremely helpful.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lifestooquick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
hurricane12345 wrote:Does OSU give many scholarships above $16k/year? If so up to what amount per year?

Is the only way to get a full ride to apply for the Moritz scholarship? They don't hand these out without the extra application?

Sorry if this has been answered before, thanks guys.

Doesn't seem like it. I believe the Moritz scholarship is the only way to get a full ride, and yes, you do have to apply. UG at OSU, and the school in general is more or less stingy about scholarships. Keep in mind, though, that you can get in state after a year, which is extremely helpful.

This is correct. Also, this is the first year that I know of that they've given above $12K! But yeah, the Moritz is the only way to get a full ride.

Also...you can get in-state and while it is easier than other states, it is still a pain in the ass. I was in-state from the beginning but some of my other 1L friends who are dealing with trying to get in-state are getting really annoyed with the process. Totally worth it in the end, but just know that there are a lot of hoops. I think one of the hardest is you can't take any out of state money...including things like tax refunds from other states, money from out of state parents, etc.

hurricane12345
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:21 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby hurricane12345 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:07 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:
hurricane12345 wrote:Does OSU give many scholarships above $16k/year? If so up to what amount per year?

Is the only way to get a full ride to apply for the Moritz scholarship? They don't hand these out without the extra application?

Sorry if this has been answered before, thanks guys.

Doesn't seem like it. I believe the Moritz scholarship is the only way to get a full ride, and yes, you do have to apply. UG at OSU, and the school in general is more or less stingy about scholarships. Keep in mind, though, that you can get in state after a year, which is extremely helpful.

This is correct. Also, this is the first year that I know of that they've given above $12K! But yeah, the Moritz is the only way to get a full ride.

Also...you can get in-state and while it is easier than other states, it is still a pain in the ass. I was in-state from the beginning but some of my other 1L friends who are dealing with trying to get in-state are getting really annoyed with the process. Totally worth it in the end, but just know that there are a lot of hoops. I think one of the hardest is you can't take any out of state money...including things like tax refunds from other states, money from out of state parents, etc.


Thanks you two, very helpful. Just visited Moritz for the admitted students weekend this past Fri/Sat, loved the atmosphere (especially the awesome professors and students), and now OSU is definitely at the top of my list :D

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:19 am

Awesome! I was one of the 1Ls at Varsity Club on Friday night answering questions, maybe we met! Glad you enjoyed your visit here :)

User avatar
lbj2389
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lbj2389 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Got scholarship info today, officially going to remain an Ohio State Buckeye for three more years! :D

Also, I have now lost any and all motivation I had left to study for my last two finals in my undergraduate career. Hahah

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby wvu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Got $16k/year. Nice but that out of state tuition is just harsh, plus I don't think I could live the way they want you to in order to be considered in state. :?

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:02 pm

16k/yr. 4.0/163

BattleshipDon
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby BattleshipDon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey guys - just got 16k. I'm afraid its only competitive with Wake Forest (36k) if I can get instate the final two years. Is it difficult to get instate?

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby wvu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

BattleshipDon wrote:Hey guys - just got 16k. I'm afraid its only competitive with Wake Forest (36k) if I can get instate the final two years. Is it difficult to get instate?


If you can be financially independent I think it's relatively easy. This looks like the best link I can find for it: http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/Guidelines.asp




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], mse2020 and 6 guests