Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby charliep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 pm

pakman1 wrote:
charliep wrote:has anyone gotten a request for a final transcript, including statement of receipt of a Bachelor's degree, despite already having sent in a final transcript


Yes - It was probably a generic email distributed to everyone. I'm going to shoot them an email to make sure they received mine. You should too


cool, thanks

User avatar
legalsinger
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby legalsinger » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am

Application complete as of 10/31. Kind of makes my stomach churn with each day that passes! I was told during a meeting with admissions that they don't even begin making decisions on reg apps until mid-Dec, so hopefully that relieves a little anxiety? Good luck to all, and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Lwoods » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:44 am

charliep wrote:
pakman1 wrote:
charliep wrote:has anyone gotten a request for a final transcript, including statement of receipt of a Bachelor's degree, despite already having sent in a final transcript


Yes - It was probably a generic email distributed to everyone. I'm going to shoot them an email to make sure they received mine. You should too


cool, thanks


Definitely confirm. Everyone at Moritz is awesome, but the transcripts go to the office of grad & professional admissions, and while they're very nice, they have a lot more paperwork to keep track of.

Last year I discovered in April that, even though I had sent in my transcript, they didn't have it marked down, which temporarily affected my ability to get financial aid. Fortunately Marc (Moritz financial aid guru) was able to help me troubleshoot, and the issue was that they didn't have my transcript on file. See, my transcript is under my [very common] maiden name and I was admitted under my married name. While I put my maiden name under the appropriate field on my application, I think because it's (a) so common and (b) my undergrad doesn't put SSN on our transcripts, it just wasn't obvious. Luckily my undergrad doesn't charge for transcripts, so OSU ended up getting two before I figured out the issue. :)

Also, I strongly advise calling the office of graduate & professional admissions over e-mailing. So much more efficient. (Also, call when someone should be there, and call back if you get voicemail instead of leaving a message.)


Good luck to those still waiting!

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Cornelius » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 am

Got a scholarship email. $12k/year. Not bad.

Edit: OOS.
Last edited by Cornelius on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby chem » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:43 am

Cornelius wrote:Got a scholarship email. $12k/year. Not bad.


+1. In stater

mooseman2216
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby mooseman2216 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Also got the email 16k/yr. Oos 3.6 166

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Green Glass Windows » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:17 pm

14k/year! IS. Has anyone started the Moritz scholarship app? Some prompt, huh?

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby charliep » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:14k/year! IS. Has anyone started the Moritz scholarship app? Some prompt, huh?


i'm starting mine shortly. unfortunately, i just had shoulder surgery, so ill have to type it with one hand

User avatar
woodscommaL
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby woodscommaL » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Just got my acceptance email!

Bmarce
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Bmarce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:57 pm

woodscommaL wrote:Just got my acceptance email!


Congrats!

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Lwoods » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:35 pm

woodscommaL wrote:Just got my acceptance email!


Congrats! If you come to ASW, we'll have to meet up. :)

RGray0827
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby RGray0827 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 pm

9k a year Oos. Anyone planning on visiting any time soon? I'm an athlete and can't make there on scheduled visit days so I'll be going out myself here pretty soon. Anyone have any idea where to look for apartments? I'm trying to get that done while I'm out there as well. Thanks and good luck to everyone still waiting on various responses!

User avatar
dkirwin
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby dkirwin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:14 am

Lwoods and lifestooquick, it's interesting seeing you posting as 1L students because I just got done reading last years posts about you two applying and getting in, along with worrying about scholarships. :D

I wont be finished with my undergrad degree until August but will be taking the LSAT in June, so just in case I don't do well I will still have another chance in October before I apply. I have lived in Ohio all my life so Ohio State is my only choice.

I have a very solid GPA, above the 75% (3.88), and I have been studying for my LSAT since October, so I feel I will do well. However, I have two worries.

1. I have three degrees - A.S - Business, B.S. Accounting, B.S. Finance. - They are from Franklin University, which is located in Columbus by Grant hospital. I looked at the colleges represented over the last 3 years for Moritz and not even 1 student has come from Franklin University. I used to be a hiring manager, Franklin is a highly regarded business school, but as far as I know, only in Ohio.

2. My age (Ill be 33 when I start). I don't think the school will necessarily hold it against me. Do you think there will be any problems with other students?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Lwoods » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 am

dkirwin wrote:Lwoods and lifestooquick, it's interesting seeing you posting as 1L students because I just got done reading last years posts about you two applying and getting in, along with worrying about scholarships. :D

I wont be finished with my undergrad degree until August but will be taking the LSAT in June, so just in case I don't do well I will still have another chance in October before I apply. I have lived in Ohio all my life so Ohio State is my only choice.

I have a very solid GPA, above the 75% (3.88), and I have been studying for my LSAT since October, so I feel I will do well. However, I have two worries.

1. I have three degrees - A.S - Business, B.S. Accounting, B.S. Finance. - They are from Franklin University, which is located in Columbus by Grant hospital. I looked at the colleges represented over the last 3 years for Moritz and not even 1 student has come from Franklin University. I used to be a hiring manager, Franklin is a highly regarded business school, but as far as I know, only in Ohio.

2. My age (Ill be 33 when I start). I don't think the school will necessarily hold it against me. Do you think there will be any problems with other students?


Yeah, I try not to read my old posts...little embarrassing. :oops:

1. I don't think coming from Franklin will hurt you.
I suspect the reason Franklin alumni aren't represented in the last few classes is likely two-fold:
First, self-selection. Because Franklin is so business focused, most students probably just go into business.
Second, the typical LSAT of a Franklin U student may not be that high. I don't say that to be insulting, but I think there's a different prevailing attitude at schools that are more local in nature and those that are more national. I went to one of each, and the local one is very well respected in its targeted industry. However, the students there focus their learning on the practical over the theoretical, and there are fewer that come from a "tiger mom" upbringing that places importance on standardized tests. You're clearly putting a lot of work and thought into your LSAT, which is important. I suspect many of your peers at Franklin do not, not because they're not bright but just because they don't realize it makes a difference.
I can't remember if you can do this before you have your score, but once you do get your score back, you can see your school report with a breakdown of how other students from your undergrad do on the LSAT. At that point you can see how far off my hypothesis is. :)

2. I was concerned about the age thing, too. I'm in my late-20s, and tOSU seemed like one of the "younger" schools I was considering. 33 is certainly on the older side. LTQ's in a different section, so she might help me round this out a bit, but there are a handful of us clustered around my age, at least a couple guys in their early 30s, and a woman whom I believe is in her early 40s. In each class there are at least one or two middle-aged / second career students, and while there's certainly an age gap, it's not really a problem. Those who are 40+ don't seem to form the same close friendships, but everyone is still very friendly and inclusive.
You will be on the older side at 33, but that's still young enough that your friendships are still likely to form with those with whom you share common interests. Those who have at least a couple years of life experience outside of undergrad do bond over our shared perspective, but it doesn't really matter if a person is 25 or 35 to find that commonality.

I hope that helps. Best of luck! You have a killer GPA, and I'm sure with your study plan you'll do well on the LSAT, too, so I look forward to seeing you in the class of 2016!

User avatar
dkirwin
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby dkirwin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Yeah, I try not to read my old posts...little embarrassing. :oops:

1. I don't think coming from Franklin will hurt you.
I suspect the reason Franklin alumni aren't represented in the last few classes is likely two-fold:
First, self-selection. Because Franklin is so business focused, most students probably just go into business.
Second, the typical LSAT of a Franklin U student may not be that high. I don't say that to be insulting, but I think there's a different prevailing attitude at schools that are more local in nature and those that are more national. I went to one of each, and the local one is very well respected in its targeted industry. However, the students there focus their learning on the practical over the theoretical, and there are fewer that come from a "tiger mom" upbringing that places importance on standardized tests. You're clearly putting a lot of work and thought into your LSAT, which is important. I suspect many of your peers at Franklin do not, not because they're not bright but just because they don't realize it makes a difference.
I can't remember if you can do this before you have your score, but once you do get your score back, you can see your school report with a breakdown of how other students from your undergrad do on the LSAT. At that point you can see how far off my hypothesis is. :)

2. I was concerned about the age thing, too. I'm in my late-20s, and tOSU seemed like one of the "younger" schools I was considering. 33 is certainly on the older side. LTQ's in a different section, so she might help me round this out a bit, but there are a handful of us clustered around my age, at least a couple guys in their early 30s, and a woman whom I believe is in her early 40s. In each class there are at least one or two middle-aged / second career students, and while there's certainly an age gap, it's not really a problem. Those who are 40+ don't seem to form the same close friendships, but everyone is still very friendly and inclusive.
You will be on the older side at 33, but that's still young enough that your friendships are still likely to form with those with whom you share common interests. Those who have at least a couple years of life experience outside of undergrad do bond over our shared perspective, but it doesn't really matter if a person is 25 or 35 to find that commonality.

I hope that helps. Best of luck! You have a killer GPA, and I'm sure with your study plan you'll do well on the LSAT, too, so I look forward to seeing you in the class of 2016!


First, thank you for your comments. I am glad you were honest with your post, its what I wanted. Your points about no one from Franklin are right on point. I'm almost done with my degrees and I've asked my fellow students and only one planned on attending law school but he was applying to Capital University because they had the part-time night program, and he works during the day.

Second, I'm not sure about others, but reading these posts are very addicting. It actually helped me with some of my misconceptions about getting into law school. I thought that getting a stellar GPA would easily be the most important part of getting into law school. But I came to find out that somehow, the score on a four hour test is a better indicator of what law school I will get into than my four YEAR undergrad GPA. - Go figure.

I am working on the professors that I will be asking to write my letters of recommendations and will definitely be posting on this years forums about the application process and the anxious waiting to hear an answer. I saw some people were getting phone calls this year, either way its going to be a long wait. But I'll be applying ED so I should hear something around Thanksgiving. (I hope)

I definitely look forward to meeting some of you!

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 am

I think Lwoods is right on point with her responses. I agree that the age thing really isn't that big of a deal. There are plenty of K-JD kids of course, but there are a lot of us, myself included, that had worked for a few years. In my section, we have quite a few in our mid-late 20s as well as a few folks in their 30s. You have so much common ground just being in law school together that the age difference never really becomes an issue.

User avatar
zx92027xz
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby zx92027xz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Admitted Student's Guide came in the mail today. Ohio State has it figured out... a nice sticker placed inside an envelope is as good an incentive to attend as a sub-$5k scholarship.

TopSider11
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby TopSider11 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Anyone else notice that the table of contents isnt accurate in the Admitted Students Guide? This is borderline insulting for a tier 1 law school. The table of contents starts at 1 while the actual guide starts at 13, OSU you were in my top 3...

User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby holden147 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm

TopSider11 wrote:Anyone else notice that the table of contents isnt accurate in the Admitted Students Guide? This is borderline insulting for a tier 1 law school. The table of contents starts at 1 while the actual guide starts at 13, OSU you were in my top 3...


LOL I can think of about 100 reasons to choose a law school. Mis-numbering on an admitted students guide is not one of them.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 am

If anyone can't make any the admitted students' weekends, I'd be happy to meet up with you whenever you can make it to the campus :) Of course, you can make an appointment with admissions and get their whole spiel (which is definitely a good idea). But I found that my favorite part of ASW was talking to the current students...so I'd be happy to meet with anyone and answer questions, etc! Just PM me :)

hurricane12345
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:21 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby hurricane12345 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 am

Does anyone know what OSU's scholarship negotiation policy is? Anyone had success in negotiating additional aid for this or previous cycles?

User avatar
woodscommaL
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby woodscommaL » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Lwoods wrote:
woodscommaL wrote:Just got my acceptance email!


Congrats! If you come to ASW, we'll have to meet up. :)


Thanks! :) We definitely should. Love your avatar!

User avatar
Duke Silver
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 pm

hurricane12345 wrote:Does anyone know what OSU's scholarship negotiation policy is? Anyone had success in negotiating additional aid for this or previous cycles?


I had better offers from better schools last year, and they wouldn't budge. They have a strict, strict no negotiation policy. A t25 school would have been around 7k cheaper/year, and they did not respond at all when I talked to them about it.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby Lwoods » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 pm

lifestooquick wrote:If anyone can't make any the admitted students' weekends, I'd be happy to meet up with you whenever you can make it to the campus :) Of course, you can make an appointment with admissions and get their whole spiel (which is definitely a good idea). But I found that my favorite part of ASW was talking to the current students...so I'd be happy to meet with anyone and answer questions, etc! Just PM me :)


Ditto. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to connect on Facebook as well.

Also ditto Duke Silver re negotiations. I had better offers from both Illinois and Indiana, both T25s (at the time, anyway...), and they didn't budge. I ended up choosing OSU anyway, for a reason that no longer exists, but ultimately I feel it was the best choice. It's still relatively inexpensive, Columbus has more to offer than Bloomington and Champaign, and OSU does better/has less competition in Ohio for the bottom half of their classes than Illinois and Indiana do in their respective states. I think as far as non-T14 Midwestern schools go, it's hard to find much more bang for your buck than OSU has to offer.

DportIA
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Postby DportIA » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm

I have a full from Iowa and a 75% from Illinois. If OSU doesn't negotiate, it does not make financial sense for me to attend with the cost at 29k/yr tuition with my scholarship.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Tomthecat and 12 guests