Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lifestooquick

Silver

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm

wvuchip wrote:
BattleshipDon wrote:Hey guys - just got 16k. I'm afraid its only competitive with Wake Forest (36k) if I can get instate the final two years. Is it difficult to get instate?
If you can be financially independent I think it's relatively easy. This looks like the best link I can find for it: http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/Guidelines.asp
This link is the best place to start, especially because this is something that is determined at the university level and isn't handled by the law school. Compared to other schools/states, it's easier to actually get residency for 2L and 3L in Ohio. That said, it's not necessarily "easy" on its own - it can be a pain in the ass (according to my friends who are currently trying to do it). However, I think it's definitely worth it in the end. Some of the more difficult things I've heard people complain about - you cannot leave Ohio, including for summer jobs (unless you're doing either the Oxford or DC summer program); you cannot accept money from out-of-state sources (including parents or other family); you cannot use your tax return money from other states. Those are the biggest complaints I've heard - but remember, OSU in-state is one of the cheapest law school options available!

BattleshipDon

New

Post by BattleshipDon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:01 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
BattleshipDon wrote:Hey guys - just got 16k. I'm afraid its only competitive with Wake Forest (36k) if I can get instate the final two years. Is it difficult to get instate?
If you can be financially independent I think it's relatively easy. This looks like the best link I can find for it: http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/Guidelines.asp
This link is the best place to start, especially because this is something that is determined at the university level and isn't handled by the law school. Compared to other schools/states, it's easier to actually get residency for 2L and 3L in Ohio. That said, it's not necessarily "easy" on its own - it can be a pain in the ass (according to my friends who are currently trying to do it). However, I think it's definitely worth it in the end. Some of the more difficult things I've heard people complain about - you cannot leave Ohio, including for summer jobs (unless you're doing either the Oxford or DC summer program); you cannot accept money from out-of-state sources (including parents or other family); you cannot use your tax return money from other states. Those are the biggest complaints I've heard - but remember, OSU in-state is one of the cheapest law school options available!
So, question for a law student: do these restrictions apply to my wife as well? The website simply lists the 'student' for c-2 status. I'd hate that she couldn't visit family for thanksgiving for me to be a resident

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

BattleshipDon wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
So, question for a law student: do these restrictions apply to my wife as well? The website simply lists the 'student' for c-2 status. I'd hate that she couldn't visit family for thanksgiving for me to be a resident
I doubt the travel restrictions would be on her as well (also, I think short trips are acceptable under the rules - there's some certain length cutoff but I can't remember it). If you file joint taxes, then the money stuff would. But I'm not 100% sure about those statements, you'd have to check with the University registrar.

Too bad your wife isn't a resident of Ohio, then you'd get it automatically!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:13 pm

If I was an Ohio resident I would probably be sending in my seat deposit today.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:35 pm

BattleshipDon wrote:
If you have a spouse that works in-state, you can get in-state status through her. If you're seriously considering OSU, call Marc (Moritz financial aid guru) and ask him how far in advance of the start I the school year your wife would have to have a job in Ohio for you to qualify as in-state. You might be able to do so for 1L year. If your wife plans to follow you and work in Ohio if you go here, I think it'll be easier to get in-state tuition through her than the other restrictions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Lwoods wrote:
If you're seriously considering OSU, call Marc (Moritz financial aid guru).
Very good advice for these residency/financial aid questions. Marc is awesome.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 pm

BattleshipDon wrote: So, question for a law student: do these restrictions apply to my wife as well? The website simply lists the 'student' for c-2 status. I'd hate that she couldn't visit family for thanksgiving for me to be a resident
FWIW, I'm a 1L and was able to gain instate residency status starting this Spring/Winter Semester. My wife got a job in December and I just sent the residency office 3 of her pay stubs, our marriage license, and a letter from her boss. No problems. I believe that I will have to reapply for residency next fall but after that I automatically receive it. I'm fairly certain that you can gain residency for 1L Fall as long as your wife is employed and you turn in most of the paperwork prior to the first day of classes. If she won't have a job by then you can definitely do it for the Spring. They don't look into your travel or finances at all except to see that your spouse is making enough money to support two people.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Decisions on applications can be expected in 6-8 weeks from the time of application after December 23rd. Due to the volume of applications, in some cases, decisions are taking closer to 10 weeks from the time of completion
What about decisions that are taking 5 months since completion? ..... lol

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:25 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
Decisions on applications can be expected in 6-8 weeks from the time of application after December 23rd. Due to the volume of applications, in some cases, decisions are taking closer to 10 weeks from the time of completion
What about decisions that are taking 5 months since completion? ..... lol
FWIW, I applied the first day possible last year and was notified of my acceptance on March 15. They gave me a week to decide, luckily I wasn't busy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tania.z

New

Post by tania.z » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm

is anyone else still waiting for a decision? this week marks the 10th week since my application has been complete...so nervous!

thank you!

- patiently waiting from CA

torroba

New

Post by torroba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 pm

8 weeks for me. Still listed as complete.

chw123

New

Post by chw123 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:04 pm

torroba wrote:8 weeks for me. Still listed as complete.
That's odd, I applied Monday, went complete yesterday, and then to under review today.

tania.z

New

Post by tania.z » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:01 am

chw123 wrote:
That's odd, I applied Monday, went complete yesterday, and then to under review today.

Mine has been under review for quite some weeks now - nervous!

Does anyone think/know if applying from out of state puts you at a disadvantage?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 am

tania.z wrote:
chw123 wrote:

Mine has been under review for quite some weeks now - nervous!

Does anyone think/know if applying from out of state puts you at a disadvantage?
Knowing the admissions office's focus on diversity, I imagine being out of state will help, if anything.

For those who have been complete or under review for a long period of time, call. Just to be on the safe side.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 am

Lwoods wrote:For those who have been complete or under review for a long period of time, call. Just to be on the safe side.
+1!

I have a friend who hadn't heard and she called. They got back to her later that day...she's pretty sure they had overlooked/misplaced her file. Honestly, I don't think this is common at all, just saying that it is possible. So it doesn't hurt to follow-up!

tania.z

New

Post by tania.z » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:42 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:For those who have been complete or under review for a long period of time, call. Just to be on the safe side.
+1!

I have a friend who hadn't heard and she called. They got back to her later that day...she's pretty sure they had overlooked/misplaced her file. Honestly, I don't think this is common at all, just saying that it is possible. So it doesn't hurt to follow-up!
I emailed the admissions office last week and they told me that my application was in the final review stage - and should be hearing an answer "sometime next week" (this week) ..so we shall see!

Supurbia

New

Post by Supurbia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:00 pm

in today via email no scholarship info

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Supurbia wrote:in today via email no scholarship info

Congratulations!

Does anyone know how long it will take before I get a status checker email? I have the my.osu account already. Or am I missing something?

Supurbia

New

Post by Supurbia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:42 pm

I received mine either the same day I submitted or a day or two after. It is the same name as all the other status checkers, but I guess you have to have the password they give you before going here: --LinkRemoved--

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Huh... Yeah I went complete and received the my.osu account info on the 9th of February; absolutely no status check info or other emails.

Weird. What the hell is the my.osu account for anyway? It seems absolutely useless...at this point.

Supurbia

New

Post by Supurbia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:15 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Huh... Yeah I went complete and received the my.osu account info on the 9th of February; absolutely no status check info or other emails.

Weird. What the hell is the my.osu account for anyway? It seems absolutely useless...at this point.
I don't know what that is for. I actually have no clue what you are talking about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Yeah, it is "my.osu.edu" and it seems to serve no purpose for prospective students. I log in, it says, "Welcome, _____", and that is about it. No info whatsoever.

Frickin' weird. Maybe I should email them...?

Supurbia

New

Post by Supurbia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:42 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Yeah, it is "my.osu.edu" and it seems to serve no purpose for prospective students. I log in, it says, "Welcome, _____", and that is about it. No info whatsoever.

yeah, definitely.

lansip

New

Post by lansip » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 am

got in last week, still waiting on scholarship and such...

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 am

Supurbia wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Yeah, it is "my.osu.edu" and it seems to serve no purpose for prospective students. I log in, it says, "Welcome, _____", and that is about it. No info whatsoever.

yeah, definitely.
Got an email on Monday. They sent me the info I need. Went "In Review."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”