Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Green Glass Windows

Silver

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Post by Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 pm

somewherewarm wrote:Congrats to all the new admits! Did anyone else receive an email about the Moritz Merit Scholarship for full in-state plus a stipend?
Woah no. What kind of numbers do you have?

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:Congrats to all the new admits! Did anyone else receive an email about the Moritz Merit Scholarship for full in-state plus a stipend?
Woah no. What kind of numbers do you have?
To clear up a possible miss-represtentation: I wasn't awarded the scholarship, I was invited to apply for it (I believe it requires an additional essay and LOR). In response to your question, my LSAT is slightly above the 75th percentile and GPA is between median and 25th. I'm also in-state which may have something to do with it.

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

I got the email yesterday, but I thought it was a mistake since I'm OOS. Can OOS students qualify for that?

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:09 pm

hmm my numbers are pretty similar, and I'm also in-state. When were you admitted?

That's awesome btw.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey guys! Current OSU student here :) Thought I'd jump in and help out with some of the Moritz scholly questions.

It does include an extra application, it's the only scholarship that does. ANYONE can apply for it, you don't have to be invited (and you can be OOS or in-state). You can find the application and info here - --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Irishtexan11

New

Post by Irishtexan11 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Does anybody know how long it usually takes OSU to review? Above 75th percentile on LSAT, slightly below median on GPA. Got a merit fee wavier, Went complete on 11/7, UR 11/8, and been stuck in review since then. Starting to become impatient!

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Irishtexan11 wrote:Does anybody know how long it usually takes OSU to review? Above 75th percentile on LSAT, slightly below median on GPA. Got a merit fee wavier, Went complete on 11/7, UR 11/8, and been stuck in review since then. Starting to become impatient!
Well, I went complete on 11/18 and was admitted yesterday, so you'll probably be hearing pretty soon.

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:hmm my numbers are pretty similar, and I'm also in-state. When were you admitted?

That's awesome btw.
Thanks Mr. Windows. I was admitted around Christmas (I don't remember the exact date). I'm thinking I might apply for it, the Leadership essay is not like the rest of the material I've written for other schools but a shot at full tuition and an intsy-weentsy stipend is hard to pass up.

BTW, thanks to the current OSU student who helped us clear up some of the confusion about the scholarship.

TopSider11

New

Post by TopSider11 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 pm

In today via phone call from Dean Michaels. Even got him to respond to my "O-H" with an "I-O" which definitely increases the possibility of me attending!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Just admitted via a phone call I missed, left a voicemail though.

Status checker hasn't changed.

zx92027xz

New

Post by zx92027xz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Admitted via phone call just a few minutes ago.

I asked and they had no information on scholarships yet. They said they will sort through scholarships in late March, early April.

Edit: 160, 3.88

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Congrats!^^

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:41 pm

In via phone call! BTW to all those who have been waiting, my status has been "Filed Completed, Under Review" since 11/4 so don't despair.

Anyone know how well a tOSU degree travels? Especially to the Pacific NW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:27 pm

holden147 wrote:Anyone know how well a tOSU degree travels? Especially to the Pacific NW?
It doesn't.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:30 pm

anyone else going to apply for the moritz despite the lack of invitation?

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Notor wrote:
holden147 wrote:Anyone know how well a tOSU degree travels? Especially to the Pacific NW?
It doesn't.
TITCR. Basic rule of thumb (very generally):

Ranked better than 15: Travels more or less nationally.
Ranked 16-30: May or may not travel beyond immediate region.
Ranked worse than 30: Does not travel beyond immediate region.

Again, this is generally. Obviously each school will have some people that move about. This should hold true for the majority.

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 am

Notor wrote:
It doesn't.
Pretty accurate. Scroll down and click the "show table" link under "employment by geography"

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:01 am

2014jd wrote:
Notor wrote:
It doesn't.
Pretty accurate. Scroll down and click the "show table" link under "employment by geography"

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective
Yeah, these guys are mostly right. However, I will say that I plan on not staying in Ohio. Now, I may not get out of Ohio right away, but I plan on doing it as soon as I can. Also, I believe that there is a self-selection effect that happens as well - there are a lot of people that choose to not look outside of Ohio.

I want to get to DC (which, you may notice, is the next biggest placement area) and am taking advantage of opportunities like the DC Summer Program and the connections of professors to get the connections needed to get there.

The Pacific NW would be REALLY hard I would think because 1) it's significantly far away and 2) it's a market that has a decent number of law schools already. But, if you have ties there, play them up and work your butt off to get over there. That said, if I wanted Pacific NW and had a choice between tOSU and Lewis & Clark, I'd go to Lewis & Clark.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 am

Double post.
Last edited by holden147 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I've been accepted to Lewis & Clark (Portland, OR) with a $26k/yr scholarship (tuition is $38k/yr) so I'm still figuring out the best option for myself. OSU hasn't given me any scholly info yet. I'm also waiting to hear back from the University of Washington. If I can get decent money there, it's my top choice since it's the top school in the Pacific NW.

Saying no to tOSU is kinda hard as a Buckeye fan, but we will see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help. 8)

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 am

lifestooquick wrote: Yeah, these guys are mostly right. However, I will say that I plan on not staying in Ohio. Now, I may not get out of Ohio right away, but I plan on doing it as soon as I can. Also, I believe that there is a self-selection effect that happens as well - there are a lot of people that choose to not look outside of Ohio.

I want to get to DC (which, you may notice, is the next biggest placement area) and am taking advantage of opportunities like the DC Summer Program and the connections of professors to get the connections needed to get there.

The Pacific NW would be REALLY hard I would think because 1) it's significantly far away and 2) it's a market that has a decent number of law schools already. But, if you have ties there, play them up and work your butt off to get over there. That said, if I wanted Pacific NW and had a choice between tOSU and Lewis & Clark, I'd go to Lewis & Clark.
Ditto entirely.

I'm another crazy kid who wants to leave Ohio (though that wasn't necessarily my intent when I chose tOSU and I wouldn't mind staying in Columbus for a least a couple years).
I do think there's a lot of self-selection. There are only two of us in my small section (16 students) who are not originally from Ohio, and I don't know many who want to leave. But, of course, it's not all self-selection. This is the best school in a state with 3 secondary legal markets located in the capital city. The opportunities in Ohio are good ones for tOSU students. The opportunities outside Ohio are much harder to come by.

I know there are disgruntled 2Ls who will disagree with me on this point, but I do think the OCS here is strong if you use them. They can't make employers hire tOSU students over T14 students or over GWU students in DC or over Fordham students in NY. But they can and will help you network, help you get in touch with people, and help you build skills to make you a stronger candidate. Similarly, if you want a particular market, they will do what they can to help you get there. For example, my counselor gave me 4 names of alumni in NY (my ideal market), naming one alumna specifically as a person I would get along with fabulously. That's the one I ended up meeting up with (I had limited time and didn't contact all of them) and discovered she and I had very similar interests and backgrounds. She's someone I could picture grabbing drinks with if I move there. My counselor knows me and the alumni well enough to make those types of recommendations.

I wouldn't recommend coming here if you ONLY want to work in NY, DC, LA or Chicago. But if you wouldn't mind working in Ohio and tOSU looks like the best choice for other reasons (maybe it's far and away the cheapest option, or maybe, like LTQ and me, you have personal/family reasons for living in Columbus), you might still be able to make your way to those primary legal markets. I think secondary markets (like PNW) outside of the Midwest would be far more difficult to crack, though because there tends to be a strong loyalty to local schools. Even in the Midwest, it can get more difficult the farther away you get from the school. For example, I have a friend who went to Notre Dame having difficulty in Milwaukee because of competition from Marquette graduates.

I suppose I'll stop procrastinating and start my writing assignment now. :) Congrats to the recent admits!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Oh, yay! I got the email about the Moritz scholarship. I know it isn't required to be invited to apply, but it still feels good. :D

Especially in the midst of rejection season...

chickenfed

New

Post by chickenfed » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:pretty many
Really?

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 pm

has anyone gotten a request for a final transcript, including statement of receipt of a Bachelor's degree, despite already having sent in a final transcript

pakman1

New

Post by pakman1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:54 pm

charliep wrote:has anyone gotten a request for a final transcript, including statement of receipt of a Bachelor's degree, despite already having sent in a final transcript
Yes - It was probably a generic email distributed to everyone. I'm going to shoot them an email to make sure they received mine. You should too

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”