Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DportIA

Bronze

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Post by DportIA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Admitted over the phone. I am hoping for a diversity scholarship, but they said that information would come out in February because I did not ED.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Congrats new admits!!

MillerTime12

New

Post by MillerTime12 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Admitted via telephone just a bit ago!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Congrats admits! Hope to see some of you here next year :)

That's cool that they're doing phone calls this year!

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Congrats admits! I only applied last week so I'm guessing I'll be reviewed in the next batch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Anyone in with around a 158/3.4 LSAC/3.5UG? (retaking Saturday, will end up with a 3.5).Thinking of applying. Asked for a need based fee waiver but they never emailed back, and I don't want to pay the app fee if I won't get in. I can get in state.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:27 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Got phone call at work. In with scholarship!
2 things:

1) when did you apply

2) are these admissions phone calls awkward?

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Applied September 15 (or whatever the first day to send it in was), and not awkward at all. well maybe a little bit.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm

charliep wrote:
2 things:

1) when did you apply

Haha, I kind of wondered this as well. Although I'd be thrilled to deal with these awkward conversations, I always felt like it would be kind of weird after he tells you you're in / you state O THANKS THAT'S AWESOME. I'm sure the dean or caller is used to it by now / just repeats same things to every caller

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Last edited by Lwoods on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:27 pm

charliep wrote:
2 things:

1) when did you apply

1) I applied on the 16th of September

2) When you are trying not to die after inhaling three bags of skittles in stressed out panic over your senior thesis, yes they are. But the woman on the other end was exceptionally nice :)

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm

got a phone call. in.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:31 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:got a phone call. in.
congrats. i'm still under review

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Just wanted to add myself to the data... I applied in late September and went "under review" right away, just got the accepted phone call this afternoon. The woman said I'd be getting scholarship info in the mail in January. I don't know if that means I got a scholarship and will find out in January or I have to apply in January or what, but she was really nice!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:55 pm

46nyc wrote:Just wanted to add myself to the data... I applied in late September and went "under review" right away, just got the accepted phone call this afternoon. The woman said I'd be getting scholarship info in the mail in January. I don't know if that means I got a scholarship and will find out in January or I have to apply in January or what, but she was really nice!
You'll get a scholarship decision in January :) You are automatically reviewed for most scholarships simply by applying. The only one that requires an extra application is the Moritz full scholarship.

Congrats on getting in! Perhaps I'll see you around here next year :)

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:02 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
46nyc wrote:Just wanted to add myself to the data... I applied in late September and went "under review" right away, just got the accepted phone call this afternoon. The woman said I'd be getting scholarship info in the mail in January. I don't know if that means I got a scholarship and will find out in January or I have to apply in January or what, but she was really nice!
You'll get a scholarship decision in January :) You are automatically reviewed for most scholarships simply by applying. The only one that requires an extra application is the Moritz full scholarship.

Congrats on getting in! Perhaps I'll see you around here next year :)

Thanks! I'm really excited... without giving much away, I'm OOS but have a lot of family in the area and my uncle is a coach for one of the sports teams, so I'd love to be close to family. It seems like everyone that goes to OSU Moritz really loves it and is so friendly!

lbj2389

New

Post by lbj2389 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Just checking in, also would like to ask a question of one of the current L1's (I actually just read a bit of YOUR thread from last year on here, quite amusing). Haven't applied yet, im working on it (soon).

1) 164/3.85 and an OSU Undergrad- Should I most likely just expect the 12K?
2) From your experiences (and you may not apply) what kind of scholarship outside of the merit based ones that were given and the diversity (not thinking im going to be in the running for that one) are available? How likely is FAFSA or financial need based scholarship going to be?

I'm applying at UA (Akron) as well, as thats my hometown and I have some connections through family that could probably get me a job or internship at the least, plus they give out ridiculous kinds of $$. I could probably expect close to full ride there, and I'm just not sure I want to have 25,000 in debt just to go to OSU (even though I love it here)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lbj2389

New

Post by lbj2389 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Oh, and congrats to all those who were on top of things and got admitted already.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:39 pm

lbj2389 wrote:Just checking in, also would like to ask a question of one of the current L1's (I actually just read a bit of YOUR thread from last year on here, quite amusing). Haven't applied yet, im working on it (soon).

2) From your experiences (and you may not apply) what kind of scholarship outside of the merit based ones that were given and the diversity (not thinking im going to be in the running for that one) are available? How likely is FAFSA or financial need based scholarship going to be?

I'm applying at UA (Akron) as well, as thats my hometown and I have some connections through family that could probably get me a job or internship at the least, plus they give out ridiculous kinds of $$. I could probably expect close to full ride there, and I'm just not sure I want to have 25,000 in debt just to go to OSU (even though I love it here)
I had the same LSAT and a lower GPA (3.28) and got 8.5K Leadership scholly. The scholarships available (to my knowledge) are academic merit, leadership, and diversity. I don't believe there is much/if any need-based scholarship funding. You will have the opportunity to fill out a need-based aid form once you're accepted. FAFSA will just determine loan-related things really.

Something REALLY REALLY important to note about Akron - they make it HARD to keep schollies. They do this on purpose. They give out more scholarship money for each class than they can actually sustain for all three years. They make their GPA requirement difficult to attain and then stack their sections to ensure that not everyone will keep their scholarships. They DO NOT do this at tOSU. Also, only go to Akron if you want to stay and practice in Akron. A degree from there is barely portable to Cleveland b/c of Case and Cleveland State. Ohio's law market is over-saturated with schools, which is why OSU is the best choice - it's recognized as the best in all Ohio markets.

lbj2389

New

Post by lbj2389 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 am

lifestooquick wrote:
lbj2389 wrote:Just checking in, also would like to ask a question of one of the current L1's (I actually just read a bit of YOUR thread from last year on here, quite amusing). Haven't applied yet, im working on it (soon).

I had the same LSAT and a lower GPA (3.28) and got 8.5K Leadership scholly. The scholarships available (to my knowledge) are academic merit, leadership, and diversity. I don't believe there is much/if any need-based scholarship funding. You will have the opportunity to fill out a need-based aid form once you're accepted. FAFSA will just determine loan-related things really.

Something REALLY REALLY important to note about Akron - they make it HARD to keep schollies. They do this on purpose. They give out more scholarship money for each class than they can actually sustain for all three years. They make their GPA requirement difficult to attain and then stack their sections to ensure that not everyone will keep their scholarships. They DO NOT do this at tOSU. Also, only go to Akron if you want to stay and practice in Akron. A degree from there is barely portable to Cleveland b/c of Case and Cleveland State. Ohio's law market is over-saturated with schools, which is why OSU is the best choice - it's recognized as the best in all Ohio markets.
Thanks for your input, I actually was aware of that fact and it is a major reason I'm still wrestling with the whole thing. The debate I'm having is whether to take a lot more money (aka a lot less debt) and the possibility of losing it, or take less money from tOSU and know I'll be keeping it. Right now I'm leaning tOSU, but the thought of 30,000 debt is a scary one.

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 am

lbj2389 wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:

Thanks for your input, I actually was aware of that fact and it is a major reason I'm still wrestling with the whole thing. The debate I'm having is whether to take a lot more money (aka a lot less debt) and the possibility of losing it, or take less money from tOSU and know I'll be keeping it. Right now I'm leaning tOSU, but the thought of 30,000 debt is a scary one.
I think it's important to keep in mind that OSU traditionally fares better than Akron in Ohio as well, to repeat what lifestooquick said. You might decide Akron's not worth the risk if you have the top option in the state, or if you want to leave Akron. I've been looking at where firms do OCI, and many more Ohio ones interview at OSU. A certainty of instate tuition at the best school in the state would be a good choice, in my opinion. I know there's a lot of things to consider, good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lbj2389

New

Post by lbj2389 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 am

Duke Silver wrote:
lbj2389 wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:

I think it's important to keep in mind that OSU traditionally fares better than Akron in Ohio as well, to repeat what lifestooquick said. You might decide Akron's not worth the risk if you have the top option in the state, or if you want to leave Akron. I've been looking at where firms do OCI, and many more Ohio ones interview at OSU. A certainty of instate tuition at the best school in the state would be a good choice, in my opinion. I know there's a lot of things to consider, good luck!
First of all, "Troy and Abed in the morrrrning".
Second, that's a good point. Honestly it's obvious to everyone that Akron isn't on the same plane as Ohio State as an institution. It is my hometown however and part of me wouldn't mind staying there. The other part of me likes the ability to practice there, OR anywhere else I want essentially. Mostly i'm just terrified of the debt coming out of school, especially with the downturn in the job market.

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:08 am

lbj2389 wrote:Honestly it's obvious to everyone that Akron isn't on the same plane as Ohio State as an institution. It is my hometown however and part of me wouldn't mind staying there.
Sometimes you just have to take your talents south...

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:44 am

2014jd wrote:
lbj2389 wrote:Honestly it's obvious to everyone that Akron isn't on the same plane as Ohio State as an institution. It is my hometown however and part of me wouldn't mind staying there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lbj2389

New

Post by lbj2389 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:20 pm

2014jd wrote:
:lol: Sore subject, although I'm not sure they will be burning my jerseys and rioting in the streets if I decide on tOSU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”