Saint Louis University Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SarahT

Bronze

Re: Saint Louis University

Post by SarahT » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:26 pm

mattviphky wrote:
SarahT wrote:
eboston wrote:I'm beginning to wonder what is going on over at SLU. I've been complete since 10/20 with absolutely no movement! Should I email or call them or would that be inappropriate?
Same with me. NO movement. 167 3.5 URM N. COmplete 11/13. Nothing except under review since 12/13.

I sent a very polite email regarding my continued interest on 12/17 and no response to the email either.
Oh my. In your case it may be some sort of Yield Protect. After all, you probably will get a generous offer from WUSTL, and SLU knows it.
Yield protect is just a nicer way of saying REJECTION. Maybe I don't want to go to WUSTL. Maybe I simply like the miniature fat guy as the mascot.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 pm

SarahT wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
SarahT wrote:
eboston wrote:I'm beginning to wonder what is going on over at SLU. I've been complete since 10/20 with absolutely no movement! Should I email or call them or would that be inappropriate?
Same with me. NO movement. 167 3.5 URM N. COmplete 11/13. Nothing except under review since 12/13.

I sent a very polite email regarding my continued interest on 12/17 and no response to the email either.
Oh my. In your case it may be some sort of Yield Protect. After all, you probably will get a generous offer from WUSTL, and SLU knows it.
Yield protect is just a nicer way of saying REJECTION. Maybe I don't want to go to WUSTL. Maybe I simply like the miniature fat guy as the mascot.
I'm sure they'll accept you, but it'll be like a last minute thing, and only if you pester them. If you really wanna go there, just call them.

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

mattviphky wrote:
I'm sure they'll accept you, but it'll be like a last minute thing, and only if you pester them. If you really wanna go there, just call them.[/quote]

Project Squeaky Wheel has commenced.
Last edited by SarahT on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eboston

New

Post by eboston » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 pm

I just broke down and called SLU. I was told that my status checker was not updated and I am actually in review. Supposedly I should hear something in the next couple weeks. They were SUPER friendly!!

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am

Bump

I suspect we will see some info today. Last year the second round went out Jan 6th.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 am

Status date changed to 1/9/2012 Been under review since 12/13. Still under review.

:?:

d90

New

Post by d90 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 am

SarahT wrote:Status date changed to 1/9/2012 Been under review since 12/13. Still under review.

Was that the first time the date changed but not the status? My date changed from 11/21 to 12/13. Both times "File Currently Under Review" was the status. Admissions said that means it is under its second review, and I should be hearing something soon (that was almost a month ago).

Andrews989

New

Post by Andrews989 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm

SarahT wrote:Bump

I suspect we will see some info today. Last year the second round went out Jan 6th.
I got in last week (on the 5th) with 84k. I applied over Thanksgiving break.

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm

d90 wrote:
SarahT wrote:Status date changed to 1/9/2012 Been under review since 12/13. Still under review.

Was that the first time the date changed but not the status? My date changed from 11/21 to 12/13. Both times "File Currently Under Review" was the status. Admissions said that means it is under its second review, and I should be hearing something soon (that was almost a month ago).
Both said File currently under review.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Decision made, letter to follow shortly.

What the hell does that mean?

leacha5

New

Post by leacha5 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:52 pm

SarahT wrote:Decision made, letter to follow shortly.

When mine said that, I got my acceptance email a little later in the day.

Andrews989

New

Post by Andrews989 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm

SarahT wrote:Decision made, letter to follow shortly.

I got an e-mail the following day around 1pm

d90

New

Post by d90 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm

"Decision Made" here too. Time to stop stalking the status checker and commence stalking the inbox!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:42 pm

d90 wrote:"Decision Made" here too. Time to stop stalking the status checker and commence stalking the inbox!
Got my email about 20 minutes later. In with 81k and 1843 Scholar nomination. I can now stop posting obsessively wanting reinforcement from you all.

leacha5

New

Post by leacha5 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:30 pm

SarahT wrote:
d90 wrote:"Decision Made" here too. Time to stop stalking the status checker and commence stalking the inbox!
Got my email about 20 minutes later. In with 81k and 1843 Scholar nomination. I can now stop posting obsessively wanting reinforcement from you all.
Congratulations!!!

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 pm

I just got an email from SLU giving me a fee waiver and mentioning the 1843 Scholars. Does anyone know how many students are selected for these scholarships? Also, do you think it's too late for me to be considered for other scholarships? It looks like SLU's being pretty generous this year and I'd hate to miss out.

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:I just got an email from SLU giving me a fee waiver and mentioning the 1843 Scholars. Does anyone know how many students are selected for these scholarships? Also, do you think it's too late for me to be considered for other scholarships? It looks like SLU's being pretty generous this year and I'd hate to miss out.

Not too late with your numbers. Put it in asap and send out emails to admissions stating your situation.

I believe they do 10 1843 scholarships. I got 81k before 1843 decision, (90k to higher gpa's). I would go for it. Although that would make you our competition, so stay low pinky, stay very low..... :x
Last edited by SarahT on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Andrews989

New

Post by Andrews989 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm

SarahT wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:I just got an email from SLU giving me a fee waiver and mentioning the 1843 Scholars. Does anyone know how many students are selected for these scholarships? Also, do you think it's too late for me to be considered for other scholarships? It looks like SLU's being pretty generous this year and I'd hate to miss out.

Not too late with your numbers. Put it in asap and send out emails to admissions stating your situation.

I believe they do 10 1843 scholarships. I got 81k before 1843 decision, (90k to higher gap's). I would go for it. Although that would make you our competition, so stay low pinky, stay very low..... :x
The 1843 scholarship letter says the essay is due Feb 10 and the interviews are in March. If you apply this week, I'm not sure if you'll receive a decision before Feb 10? Sending an e-mail to the admissions office may be a good idea.

joemkirch

New

Post by joemkirch » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! 1L here. I check this on and off if you have any questions.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:55 am

joemkirch wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! 1L here. I check this on and off if you have any questions.
how is hiring? any word on when the new school will be built? Are there any interesting internship opportunities? What is the culture of the school like? Thanks for answering!

joemkirch

New

Post by joemkirch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 pm

mattviphky wrote:
joemkirch wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! 1L here. I check this on and off if you have any questions.
how is hiring? any word on when the new school will be built? Are there any interesting internship opportunities? What is the culture of the school like? Thanks for answering!

It is a little early for me to personally comment on hiring because OCI are just beginning to be scheduled. I have some classmates that have secured summer jobs in other markets (Denver to name one) and I am sure that there are locals who have things lined up as well. From what I understand, SLU does well here in Saint Louis with placement. What isn't always advertised around here is that SLU has pretty good pull in the DC market as well because of our health law program (#1 fwiw). As far as internships go, I know upper classmen that have had paid and unpaid internships all around the city in a variety of firms and public interest areas.

The new law building will not be a whole new building, per se; at least at this point. The newest expansion is in the planning process, which will add study rooms and common areas, etc. This was just told to us in an email from the dean last week. I thought that the facilities were of utmost importance when I was going through admissions and I will say that once you start school, you honestly don't care anymore. You are in the library or a classroom most of the time. I am glad I didn't make my decision on the aesthetics of the law building alone. I'll admit it is old and not nearly as cool as the business school though :(

Perhaps most importantly, the culture. I have had a great time here so far. As I am sure many others were, I was afraid of what the atmosphere may be like. The whole first semester was colloquial and fun. If you like to go to bars, there are more than enough people who go out that you will never have a problem there. There are a lot of bars surrounding campus, so it is hella convenient to get a drink after classes and homework. That said, we aren't ALL binge drinkers either. There are plenty of people that stay in and study or do other things. But overall, the atmosphere is very welcoming. Even now in the wake of first semester grades, I haven't seen anyone about to jump off the building or anyone not willing to help another out.
There are a lot of activities always going on that are law-school related. The fall semester was really fun with our softball league. It was basically a drinking league: you drink beer and bat when you are told to.

Hope this gives a little insight into what it is like here, let me know if there are any more questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 pm

When's the ASW?

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:When's the ASW?
My letter said March 27th, but also stated that the NCAA tournament is that weekend so book it now.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 pm

SarahT wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:When's the ASW?
My letter said March 27th, but also stated that the NCAA tournament is that weekend so book it now.

Alright thanks, I left my stuff at home and was trying to plan my month of March.

ziegltic

New

Post by ziegltic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 pm

My status is still under review, but my date just changed to 1/17/2012.... weird

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”