Saint Louis University

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GatorCTS

Re: Saint Louis University

Postby GatorCTS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 pm

JK910 wrote:
GatorCTS wrote:how long did it take you guys to get a response once your application status said "decision made; letter will follow shortly"

15 minutes.

pissed. i checked my status last night at like 2 am eastern and thats what it said. it says the same thing now and still no email. Maybe bc its the weekend??

ziegltic

Postby ziegltic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

GatorCTS wrote:
JK910 wrote:
GatorCTS wrote:how long did it take you guys to get a response once your application status said "decision made; letter will follow shortly"

15 minutes.

pissed. i checked my status last night at like 2 am eastern and thats what it said. it says the same thing now and still no email. Maybe bc its the weekend??

Yea it varies from person to person. I got mine the next day with a big scholarship so don't be worried.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:19 pm

ziegltic wrote:
GatorCTS wrote:
JK910 wrote:

15 minutes.

Yea it varies from person to person. I got mine the next day with a big scholarship so don't be worried.

Good to hear...I will be waiting for the decision and hoping its a good one.

checkster

Postby checkster » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Mine was several hours later.

eboston

Postby eboston » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:30 pm

My email didn't show for 2 days! I received a nice scholarship, as well. I hope it arrives soon!

checkster

Postby checkster » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:07 pm

So, I'm still waiting on $$ from LUC and a few others, and to hear a decision from Iowa and Case, but Mizzou and SLU are looking like serious possibilities.

I'm from Missouri, grew up near both STL and CoMo. Mizzou offered me half tuition, which makes it like 9k total a year because of in-state. Top 50% stip to keep in full. SLU offered 17k a year, haven't heard of stip yet. Hoping to use offers from Chicago schools/Mizzou/etc to negotiate with SLU.

If my goal isn't necessarily BigLaw, but just to get a good job preferably in STL, KC, or Columbia/Jeff, what are your opinions about the differences between SLU/MU? I know the generic SLU does better in STL stuff, but do MU people have a real shot at STL jobs or KC jobs? Is paying more SLU worth it if I want STL?

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Okay, so my status has been "Decision Made, letter to follow shortly" since Friday 2/10. I still have not received an email or any other kind of notification from SLU. Should I continue to wait or should i go ahead an email admissions?

I posted on here about this the other day and some people said it took a couple days to get their email so i have been waiting patiently now for a few days hoping something would show up. but still nothing. Do they always email people decisions or have some people had to wait for an actual letter in the mail for their decision?

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 pm

bump

eboston

Postby eboston » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 pm

I know how frustrated you must be. My friend and I applied in September, and our status checker changed to the "Decision made letter to follow shortly" message on the same day. I was accepted and received an email two days later and she was waitlisted and received her letter a little less than a week later. I don't think that it would hurt to call admissions and see when letters are going out. The SLU admission office is very friendly and helpful. I hope you get good news soon!

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Got my email with Scholarship information... Was hoping for a bit more to make it competitive with in-state tuition here in TN. PM if interested. Was updated today and got email in the same day. About 4 hours apart.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Got my email with Scholarship information... Was hoping for a bit more to make it competitive with in-state tuition here in TN. PM if interested. Was updated today and got email in the same day. About 4 hours apart.

Lucky you. I still havent received and email after my status was updated to "Decision made, letter to follow shortly" on friday 2/10. I called today to ask them about it and they said i should be getting the letter in the mail soon, probably this week. I still have no idea as to why i didnt get an email from them with a decision like everyone else has. So i am waiting rather impatiently for my decision to come in the mail. hopefully it will be here tomorrow or saturday.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Ended up getting waitlisted. got the letter in the mail today. I guess i will have to wait a few months till i get a final decision

checkster

Postby checkster » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Acceptance letter stuff came in mail today. Scholarship stip is just 2.0 gpa, which is very cool.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:18 pm

congrats guys!

eboston

Postby eboston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Just received a very nice phone call from one of the law professors. She said that I was a admitted candidate that admissions was excited about and wanted to help answer any questions and lend her support. She provided me her cell number and told me to call if needed. Very nice and personable touch SLU! Warm fuzzies felt!

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Anybody try to negotiate your scholarships. I was told IF it was increased it would be minimal they put me in a pool with others who asked the same.

ALSO who is planning to visit on march 23rd weekend. I need to decide about back to.back weekends Lexington one and then st. Louis the next. KNOXVILLE TN native

Sm Firm Hiring P

Postby Sm Firm Hiring P » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:37 pm

I am on this forum for a week or so to help current law students with questions about the market and small firm versus large, etc. I am the hiring partner at our small firm and went to SLU. We have 8 SLU graduates in our firm. If I can answer any questions to help you about a decision on SLU or prospects in our market, ask away.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Anybody try to negotiate your scholarships. I was told IF it was increased it would be minimal they put me in a pool with others who asked the same.

ALSO who is planning to visit on march 23rd weekend. I need to decide about back to.back weekends Lexington one and then st. Louis the next. KNOXVILLE TN native

I'll be there on there on 23rd. Anyone want to explore local watering holes in the evening after the campus stuff?

JK910

Postby JK910 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Sm Firm Hiring P wrote:I am on this forum for a week or so to help current law students with questions about the market and small firm versus large, etc. I am the hiring partner at our small firm and went to SLU. We have 8 SLU graduates in our firm. If I can answer any questions to help you about a decision on SLU or prospects in our market, ask away.

I hear that SLU Alumni members are pretty active and use their connections to help get SLU students interviews and that the overall local market is pretty well dominated by SLU. Any truth to either of those?

Sm Firm Hiring P

Postby Sm Firm Hiring P » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 am

JK910 wrote:
Sm Firm Hiring P wrote:I am on this forum for a week or so to help current law students with questions about the market and small firm versus large, etc. I am the hiring partner at our small firm and went to SLU. We have 8 SLU graduates in our firm. If I can answer any questions to help you about a decision on SLU or prospects in our market, ask away.

I hear that SLU Alumni members are pretty active and use their connections to help get SLU students interviews and that the overall local market is pretty well dominated by SLU. Any truth to either of those?

There are some Alumni who are active and one PI firm comes to mind that hires several students from SLU each summer and during the school years. While the odds of a permanent position are rare there, it gives a lot of students the chance for experience and building there resumes. The OCS office is pretty good about reaching out to Alumni. They sponsor an Alumni lunch every April in Clayton and downtown to thank the Alumni, particularly for hiring students.

ks22

Postby ks22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 pm

My status as of this afternoon says "Decision made, letter to follow shortly" without xxx@slu.edu as 2nd email. I'm hoping I'm not rejected. Does anybody know if the rejection procedure is the same as the acceptance? Or if status will say something different if rejection is in future? I also applied to the summer institute as well.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 pm

ks22 wrote:My status as of this afternoon says "Decision made, letter to follow shortly" without xxx@slu.edu as 2nd email. I'm hoping I'm not rejected. Does anybody know if the rejection procedure is the same as the acceptance? Or if status will say something different if rejection is in future? I also applied to the summer institute as well.

I had that same status for a week before i received my waitlist letter in the mail. I sent back my waitlist request last week and probably sending my LOCI tomorrow. From what i have heard on this thread, the people that got in found out (thru email) anywhere from 15 minutes later to 2 days after their status went to "decision made, letter to follow shortly."

I never got an email from them about my decision, just the letter saying i was waitlisted which took a week.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 am

How is the St. Louis market? Do you know if SLU students are finding things, for the most part?

ks22

Postby ks22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Does anyone know how the Summer Institute acceptance is received?..email,phone,letter? My status changed yesterday afternoon, and I have not received a word or @slu.edu...

Sm Firm Hiring P

Postby Sm Firm Hiring P » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 pm

mattviphky wrote:

How is the St. Louis market? Do you know if SLU students are finding things, for the most part?

I think the SLU students are having a tough time along with some of the other area law schools. We had a much larger amount of applications this year than prior years. About 45% SLU students. We advertise we prefer people in the top 20%. We saw many 1Ls as expected but there were many 2Ls as well who obviously did not have anything lined up. Some small to mid sized firms don't hire until March or April. My guess is that in this economy that those in the bottom half are going to have a really tough time unless the have some good connections.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”