Saint Louis University Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eboston

New

Re: Saint Louis University

Post by eboston » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Just heard that the move downtown will not happen until Summer 2013. I was somewhat skeptical from the beginning if they were going to be able to get the renovations completed in such a short period of time. This delay does not hurt my feelings in any way!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 pm

I just saw that too. I'm fine with it, it will actually mean when I visit, the tour will be relevant. I don't mind spending a year getting to see the actual campus, then moving downtown when the building will actually be ready.

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 pm

anybody got ideas about JOBS or SLU's ranking possibly getting better with this new building and maybe further alumni support?

joemkirch

New

Post by joemkirch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:anybody got ideas about JOBS or SLU's ranking possibly getting better with this new building and maybe further alumni support?
From the time of the announcement of the move downtown, there has been a lot of enthusiasm from alumni and firms downtown. Will this translate into jobs or rankings? Hard to tell, but it probably won't hurt. The school is going to be active in the downtown community moreso than it is currently; this will likely help boost local reputation (as if it needed any more).

Just to confirm the other above posts: yes, the school decided to push back the move-in date until summer 2013. We got a lengthy email about it yesterday afternoon. This will hopefully translate into a more well-thought out building that will accommodate the needs of the school and be more aesthetically pleasing than our current location. Not to mention it gives more time for fundraising to make it all possible.

GatorCTS

Bronze

Post by GatorCTS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm

So I received notification through the mail about 2.5 weeks ago that I was waitlisted. In the waitlist letter was a form I had to fill out to be placed on the waitlist and then returned via mail by April 1st. I got my waitlist info on a Saturday and sent the form back to SLU placing me on the waitlist the following Monday which was Feb 20th I believe.

My question is this. Has anyone else been waitlisted and then sent the form back? And if so, did the admissions office acknowledge receipt of your form to place you on the waitlist? Or should I just assume they received my form in the mail and are waiting to notify around April 1 when they put together their official waitlist?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 am

Does anyone know how to decline admission from SLU? Can't find a way to do it anywhere on their site... Obviously I know you can email them, but wanted to know if there was any other option….

GatorCTS

Bronze

Post by GatorCTS » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:30 pm

jgrady1 wrote:Does anyone know how to decline admission from SLU? Can't find a way to do it anywhere on their site... Obviously I know you can email them, but wanted to know if there was any other option….
Email or call them...I have talked to the admissions office one time and they are really nice. I don't think there is any way you can decline admission other than calling or emailing the admin office.

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Guys: May I ask how Mizzou jumped SLU in this year's ratings... and Im talking going from Outside of the top 100 to 79! This is very bad news in my opinion for people who MAY not be able to work in St. Louis but graduated from SLU.

Please let me know what you all know that a TN guy may not..

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Mizzou was in the 50s-60s for years until the last 2. Then they began reporting their actual employment data which all their peers were fudging the numbers. Now that the ABA is creating a (somewhat) more accurate portrayal of these stats, Mizzou jumped back close to where it would be.

That being said, ranking should in no way be a significant factor in choosing Mizzou over SLU or any other school in that range. Pick the school that is better for your goals and for your wallet. For me, its probably Mizzou, but I'm still going to go visit SLU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Pardon my cynicism but a job is pretty pertinent and being third in the state would seemingly make employment more difficult. Especially os Missouri has the other markets outside st. Louis

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Pardon my cynicism but a job is pretty pertinent and being third in the state would seemingly make employment more difficult. Especially os Missouri has the other markets outside st. Louis
USNWR rankings have literally zero effect on job prospects.

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I would hope not but I hate the idea of being second fiddle outside of st louis

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Guys: May I ask how Mizzou jumped SLU in this year's ratings... and Im talking going from Outside of the top 100 to 79! This is very bad news in my opinion for people who MAY not be able to work in St. Louis but graduated from SLU.

Mizzou never should have been ranked outside of the T100. As an above poster said, they were always a TT school. This year they are back on track. If you want to practice law in Missouri, you need to attend Mizzou. There are, however, a few caveats:

*Do you want to practice in St. Louis? Yes? Then go to SLU. It places far better in STL than Mizzou does. In fact, it has better placement than WUSTL which is ranked significantly higher.

*Do you want to practice in KC? Consider UMKC. The exposure you'll get to KC firms while being in law school will be a huge benefit.

Not sure what to do, but you want to practice somewhere in Missouri? Go to Mizzou. Interested in government? Go to Mizzou. Interested in politics? Go to Mizzou.

Annnd in other news, I withdrew from SLU today...that should free up a considerable amount of scholarship money and one 1843 Scholarship.

Enjoy!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
RaiderBlue17 wrote:Guys: May I ask how Mizzou jumped SLU in this year's ratings... and Im talking going from Outside of the top 100 to 79! This is very bad news in my opinion for people who MAY not be able to work in St. Louis but graduated from SLU.

Mizzou never should have been ranked outside of the T100. As an above poster said, they were always a TT school. This year they are back on track. If you want to practice law in Missouri, you need to attend Mizzou. There are, however, a few caveats:

*Do you want to practice in St. Louis? Yes? Then go to SLU. It places far better in STL than Mizzou does. In fact, it has better placement than WUSTL which is ranked significantly higher.

*Do you want to practice in KC? Consider UMKC. The exposure you'll get to KC firms while being in law school will be a huge benefit.

Not sure what to do, but you want to practice somewhere in Missouri? Go to Mizzou. Interested in government? Go to Mizzou. Interested in politics? Go to Mizzou.

Annnd in other news, I withdrew from SLU today...that should free up a considerable amount of scholarship money and one 1843 Scholarship.

Enjoy!
Well said. I like the idea of working in STL or KC, but i think I'll take my chances with no debt at Mizzou instead of taking out some loans for SLU.

chw123

New

Post by chw123 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm interested in practicing in St. Louis, thus i've applied to Wash U. (a big stretch given my numbers) and Saint Louis U. Could anyone give me some feed back on my chances of admissions/Scholarship offer there? I just applied today. I got a fee waiver from them so i'm hoping with my fingers crossed! My numbers are 153/3.64 Native American URM. Thanks for the help!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:34 am

chw123 wrote:I'm interested in practicing in St. Louis, thus i've applied to Wash U. (a big stretch given my numbers) and Saint Louis U. Could anyone give me some feed back on my chances of admissions/Scholarship offer there? I just applied today. I got a fee waiver from them so i'm hoping with my fingers crossed! My numbers are 153/3.64 Native American URM. Thanks for the help!
no to wustl, and maybe to slu. You really should just retake and wait til next cycle. Even if you do get in now, it most likely will not be for much money. If you study and retake in June/October, you could be looking at much better schools or more money

chw123

New

Post by chw123 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

mattviphky wrote:
chw123 wrote:I'm interested in practicing in St. Louis, thus i've applied to Wash U. (a big stretch given my numbers) and Saint Louis U. Could anyone give me some feed back on my chances of admissions/Scholarship offer there? I just applied today. I got a fee waiver from them so i'm hoping with my fingers crossed! My numbers are 153/3.64 Native American URM. Thanks for the help!
no to wustl, and maybe to slu. You really should just retake and wait til next cycle. Even if you do get in now, it most likely will not be for much money. If you study and retake in June/October, you could be looking at much better schools or more money
Everyone keeps telling me that but honesty I just can't raise it. I graduated last sem and studied the entire 4 months before the Feb LSAT, putting in solid 70 hour weeks, on top of PR's 52 hour online class study (I had nothing else to do but study). So basically what I'm trying to say is that i'm a terrible standardized test taker. I'm just going to hope my softs help me out and hope for the best. If i really don't get into any schools that are worth going to then i'll just retake again for sh*ts and gigs and then apply super early in the fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm NA URM and both of my numbers are higher than yours, and they barely let me in.

I hear you when you say that you don't think you can retake and score better, but I feel like you were over-doing it. Like...70/hrs week? That's massive over-studying. I'd narrow down exactly your problem areas, focus on those and take all of the practice tests. Study in a controlled, less intense way and I think you'll see better results.

eboston

New

Post by eboston » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 am

Anyone going to ASW this weekend? If so, both days? I'm trying to decide if it's really necessary to be there both Friday and Saturday.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

I had been planning on it, but I'm starting to reconsider. Its tough to be gone several Fri/Sat in the span of a few weeks when still in school, and all these ASWs are packed next to each other.

JK910

New

Post by JK910 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:53 pm

I'll be there both days... I had vacation days from work to burn up anyway. Hopefully it will be interesting and informative.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tlahood

New

Post by tlahood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Anyone else had luck negotiating scholarship? I got SLU to increase mine once already, but they didn't match my offer from MSU and I'd much rather go to SLU. Should I send another email a few days before the deposit date?

headress

New

Post by headress » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:26 pm

I applied late (last week) and am in today with $78k, probably won't be accepting.

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 am

Increased scholarship???? DAMN! I wanted to try that. i got 60K and would love to know how to get more seeing as i got 78K from DU.

I tried showing them the DU offer but still no dice until ppl I HOPE start saying no... I'd love some more money to make the decision easier... Cant wait to visit tomorrow... ONTO the road...!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

Withdrawing with 51k, hope it goes to one of you fine people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”