Saint Louis University Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mattviphky

Silver

Re: Saint Louis University

Post by mattviphky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 pm

SarahT wrote:
joemkirch wrote:For all interested in going to SLU or have already gotten in:

Initial reactions from all my fellow students have been extremely positive. Looks like I'm moving downtown!
Not happy here....everything was based around forest park for me (husbands work, new house, kids school, golf, etc) Hope the building is worth it.
Eh, commuting time in StL isn't that bad. FP to DT would be like what, 15 min? I understand though that this isn't what you had planned on

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

It was announced a few hours ago that we will be getting the new law building, and it is supposed to be ready by the next school year. Most important to note is that it will NOT be on SLU's main campus anymore, but rather DOWNTOWN. I will paste the Dean's email to all students:

Dear Students:

Today, I am extremely excited to tell you that our dream of creating a state-of-the-art Law School building is coming true.

Thanks to a very generous gift from St. Louisans Joe and Loretta Scott, we will move into an 11-story, 260,000-square-foot building located at 100 N. Tucker Blvd. in downtown St. Louis.

This historic move puts us in the very heart of where law is practiced in our great city. We will be located right next door to the Civil Courts Building and within walking distance of the Thomas F. Eagleton U.S. Courthouse and many of the region’s most prestigious law firms. I know that our new home will provide our students with countless new educational and professional opportunities.

The model of off-campus law schools is found at many of the nation’s finest universities, including Boston College, Fordham University, Georgetown University, Loyola Marymount, Loyola University Chicago and the University of Detroit-Mercy.

For some time, we have been talking about and planning for how we can modernize our current space so that it matches the superior quality of our teaching and scholarship.

What is so exciting about our new building is that the interior is essentially a blank canvas. This will allow us to develop the flexible, multipurpose, technology-centric spaces we need right now to support how legal education is delivered today.

This move also will allow us to physically unify our Legal Clinics with the Law School, bringing together all of the important aspects that make SLU LAW unique.

In addition to creating modern spaces for teaching and learning, the University will add shuttle service to and from the SLU Midtown campus, as well as a fitness center and dining options, which will optimize the convenience of this new location.

As you know, the needs of our students are always our first priority at SLU LAW, and I firmly believe we will make an immediate impact on your legal education by moving forward with this very important next step in our future.

The target date to complete this project is early August 2012, in time to welcome our students for the beginning of the 2012-2013 academic year. For a brief video tour of our new Law School building, click here. (http://vimeo.com/35570584)

Work on our new home will begin very shortly, and I will continue to keep you updated as this project moves forward. In the meantime, I have scheduled an open session for questions.

Please plan to join me for an in-person meeting Wednesday, Jan. 25 in Room 02 at 5 p.m. to address questions you may have.

I would like to thank Father Biondi and the University’s leadership for their continued support and to express our gratitude to Joe and Loretta Scott for their generosity.

Best Regards,

Annette E. Clark, M.D., J.D.
Dean and Professor of Law

Initial reactions from all my fellow students have been extremely positive. Looks like I'm moving downtown!
When I think of the finest law schools, UDM is always spoken in the same breath as Georgetown

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Congrats on the new facilities, everyone. They were sorely needed, and the new building looks great. And moving downtown should offer a nice change of setting to the heart of the legal community, and away from the undergrads.

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:03 pm

mattviphky wrote:
SarahT wrote:

Not happy here....everything was based around forest park for me (husbands work, new house, kids school, golf, etc) Hope the building is worth it.
Eh, commuting time in StL isn't that bad. FP to DT would be like what, 15 min? I understand though that this isn't what you had planned on
I'll deal. Especially if there is a 1843 in it. I certainly have no place to complain about this cycle. :mrgreen:

limonata

New

Post by limonata » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 am

mattviphky wrote:
SarahT wrote:

If you hop on 64, the drive is more like 7 minutes, if that. Barely more than driving down Lindell from the park to campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 am

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:18 am

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 am

In w/ 18k. Hard to turn down, but I hear career prospects aren't great. Thoughts?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:36 am

legalsinger wrote:
In w/ 18k. Hard to turn down, but I hear career prospects aren't great. Thoughts?
That depends, what do you mean by career prospects? If you wanna work in St. Louis, well that's a start in the right direction. However, if you want to work in NYC, it's gonna be tough. In any case, I have heard that career prospects are grim across the board, but St.L is probably your best bet.

18k is not enough, especially with your GPA. Have you retaken the LSAT, and do you feel like you have room to improve? Here is my thread about working from a 155 to a 164. If I can do it, I know you can. Plus, you have an outstanding GPA, don't waste it on a low score. SLU is a fine school if you want Stl area, so if you are committed to going there, good for you. However, as expensive as law school is, they hand out huge scholarships to people that deserve them. Why not put some time into your lsat studies and boost your scholarship amount. Why settle on 54k, when you could have 84k, or even a full ride?

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=149790

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eboston

New

Post by eboston » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm in!! So excited!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Those who have recently gotten in, was it via status checker?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:09 pm

eboston wrote:I'm in!! So excited!
congrats!

eboston

New

Post by eboston » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks! I'm ready to send in my seat deposit!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:50 pm

eboston wrote:Thanks! I'm ready to send in my seat deposit!
Do it. Offer, acceptance by performance
Last edited by SarahT on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Well peoples...I will be withdrawing from SLU...hope that the 90k they threw my way (and the chance at 1843 Scholarship) goes to one of you find people <3

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Well peoples...I will be withdrawing from SLU...hope that the 90k they threw my way (and the chance at 1843 Scholarship) goes to one of you find people <3
No one ever took your SLU application seriously 8) . Where are you off to?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 pm

mattviphky wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Well peoples...I will be withdrawing from SLU...hope that the 90k they threw my way (and the chance at 1843 Scholarship) goes to one of you find people <3

Heyyyyy now :)

Not sure...visited GULC this weekend and loved it. But, I still need to visit UVA and Mich. It'll pretty much depend on who gives me the most money, and tbh, UVA gave me damn close to what SLU did...sooooooo, yeah.

What about you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:54 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

Heyyyyy now :)

Not sure...visited GULC this weekend and loved it. But, I still need to visit UVA and Mich. It'll pretty much depend on who gives me the most money, and tbh, UVA gave me damn close to what SLU did...sooooooo, yeah.

What about you?
Yeah, GULC, V, and M, would all be awesome. Congrats on such great options! Michigan looks beautiful, but those winters! :?
UVA with money sounds sooo legit, though.

Eh, I'm riding a held at UIUC, a waitlist at ND, and silence from many other places. I really like SLU, especially with the good scholarship, but I just don't know if I would sacrifice the mobility and prestige of a higher ranked school. I know prestige might be a little bit more on my radar than it should be, but I want a good job...also, I think my unborn children would be far more impressed with my stories of going to ND than they would be about my stories of saving an extra 45k to go to SLU. The latter is pretty stupid, I know, but just something I think about (if the difference in COA isn't ridiculous, that is). SLU is still a good school that does well in a nice city, but it's just not what I'm reaching for. That being said, I very well could be there this fall.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:28 am

mattviphky wrote:
Eh, I'm riding a held at UIUC, a waitlist at ND, and silence from many other places. I really like SLU, especially with the good scholarship, but I just don't know if I would sacrifice the mobility and prestige of a higher ranked school. I know prestige might be a little bit more on my radar than it should be, but I want a good job...also, I think my unborn children would be far more impressed with my stories of going to ND than they would be about my stories of saving an extra 45k to go to SLU. The latter is pretty stupid, I know, but just something I think about (if the difference in COA isn't ridiculous, that is). SLU is still a good school that does well in a nice city, but it's just not what I'm reaching for. That being said, I very well could be there this fall.
I agree. I could probably (assuming I get the 1843) go to SLU for free...which is waaaay cheaper than anywhere else, but I think I have to take the chance at a top ranked school--for those unborn children :)

And, I dno if I want to always be in STL....when I meet Mr. Perfect he might life in Chicago and that wouldn't work out for me.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 pm

In today via e-mail. Scholly is 51k over 3 years, e-mail did not mention what stips would be, so I'll have to wait for the packet. Pretty cool though, gives me another option close to home.

eboston

New

Post by eboston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I received my packet earlier in the week. I have a 2.0 stipulation, which is the lowest of all my offers! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Care to share your stats I'm an applicant to SLU as well and wondering about potential scholarships... thanks

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:58 am

158, 3.5

GatorCTS

Bronze

Post by GatorCTS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:54 pm

how long did it take you guys to get a response once your application status said "decision made; letter will follow shortly"

JK910

New

Post by JK910 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:23 pm

GatorCTS wrote:how long did it take you guys to get a response once your application status said "decision made; letter will follow shortly"
15 minutes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”