South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Duramax80 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:57 pm

kmokeefe wrote:I would like to go to ASD, but it's the same day as Mercer's and I'll be heading to Macon Friday for that since they're paying for travel and hotel expenses for scholarship recipients. I'm 100% definitely going to visit USC before April to help with my decision, so it will most likely be the weekend after that I visit.


You have anything you would like me to check out for you in Columbia? Have any questions you would like to ask the ASD staff?

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:I would like to go to ASD, but it's the same day as Mercer's and I'll be heading to Macon Friday for that since they're paying for travel and hotel expenses for scholarship recipients. I'm 100% definitely going to visit USC before April to help with my decision, so it will most likely be the weekend after that I visit.


You have anything you would like me to check out for you in Columbia? Have any questions you would like to ask the ASD staff?

Oh thanks! If I come up with anything I'll PM you. I've been to Columbia a handfull of times, but I've never gotten a good luck at the USC campus/the law building so that's what I'm mostly interested in.

roneman90
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roneman90 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

How do you hold an admitted students day before you accept/reject everyone? Was hoping to know by then, does not look like it.

DRDGMU
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DRDGMU » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Duramax80 wrote:Im still waiting on Georgia State PT, but Im not expecting anything other than a waitlist. That being said, USC is my numero uno at this point, and I will be attending Admitted Students Day with my +1. I'll be completely honest with you, I read the itinerary, and I probably wont stay too long. Everything theyre going to tell us, from what Ive heard, can be found through personal research online, which I'm sure everyone in this thread has already analyzed in detail. However, I am excited to see the mock law class and examine how the professors convey information with an emphasis on the socratic method.

Anyway, I'll be there and I'll probably be hanging around Columbia for the entire day... gotta find a place to live, the nearest golf course, and the best lake to fish on. :roll: What is everyone planning to wear? Business casual?


I definitely agree, ASD looks pretty generic. Aside from the financial aid information and maybe meeting some of my potential classmates, I could take or leave the rest of the day. I visited last month and sat in on two classes so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the school so far. I am planning on dressing business casual. They seemed relatively laid back when I visited last time.

Have you started looking at housing at all yet? I've looked a little bit and had so-so luck, I'm planning on visiting a few places while I'm down there too.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:19 pm

DRDGMU wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Im still waiting on Georgia State PT, but Im not expecting anything other than a waitlist. That being said, USC is my numero uno at this point, and I will be attending Admitted Students Day with my +1. I'll be completely honest with you, I read the itinerary, and I probably wont stay too long. Everything theyre going to tell us, from what Ive heard, can be found through personal research online, which I'm sure everyone in this thread has already analyzed in detail. However, I am excited to see the mock law class and examine how the professors convey information with an emphasis on the socratic method.

Anyway, I'll be there and I'll probably be hanging around Columbia for the entire day... gotta find a place to live, the nearest golf course, and the best lake to fish on. :roll: What is everyone planning to wear? Business casual?


I definitely agree, ASD looks pretty generic. Aside from the financial aid information and maybe meeting some of my potential classmates, I could take or leave the rest of the day. I visited last month and sat in on two classes so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the school so far. I am planning on dressing business casual. They seemed relatively laid back when I visited last time.

Have you started looking at housing at all yet? I've looked a little bit and had so-so luck, I'm planning on visiting a few places while I'm down there too.

I've been googling apartments here and there, asking friends who live in Columbia, and looking at cragislist, but I guess I won't be doing anything substantial until I'm totally for sure going. From the looks of it, it seems like getting a 2 or 3 bedroom comes out a lot cheaper, so I'll probably be looking here and elsewhere for roommates.

DRDGMU
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DRDGMU » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:28 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
DRDGMU wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Im still waiting on Georgia State PT, but Im not expecting anything other than a waitlist. That being said, USC is my numero uno at this point, and I will be attending Admitted Students Day with my +1. I'll be completely honest with you, I read the itinerary, and I probably wont stay too long. Everything theyre going to tell us, from what Ive heard, can be found through personal research online, which I'm sure everyone in this thread has already analyzed in detail. However, I am excited to see the mock law class and examine how the professors convey information with an emphasis on the socratic method.

Anyway, I'll be there and I'll probably be hanging around Columbia for the entire day... gotta find a place to live, the nearest golf course, and the best lake to fish on. :roll: What is everyone planning to wear? Business casual?


I definitely agree, ASD looks pretty generic. Aside from the financial aid information and maybe meeting some of my potential classmates, I could take or leave the rest of the day. I visited last month and sat in on two classes so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the school so far. I am planning on dressing business casual. They seemed relatively laid back when I visited last time.

Have you started looking at housing at all yet? I've looked a little bit and had so-so luck, I'm planning on visiting a few places while I'm down there too.

I've been googling apartments here and there, asking friends who live in Columbia, and looking at cragislist, but I guess I won't be doing anything substantial until I'm totally for sure going. From the looks of it, it seems like getting a 2 or 3 bedroom comes out a lot cheaper, so I'll probably be looking here and elsewhere for roommates.


Yeah, it seems like most of the one bedrooms near campus have already signed leases for next school year. The complexes that I have contacted a little further out in the suburbs, all seem to operate only sixty days in advance. So its seems like it'll be an interesting process.

roneman90
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roneman90 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 pm

DRDGMU wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:
DRDGMU wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Im still waiting on Georgia State PT, but Im not expecting anything other than a waitlist. That being said, USC is my numero uno at this point, and I will be attending Admitted Students Day with my +1. I'll be completely honest with you, I read the itinerary, and I probably wont stay too long. Everything theyre going to tell us, from what Ive heard, can be found through personal research online, which I'm sure everyone in this thread has already analyzed in detail. However, I am excited to see the mock law class and examine how the professors convey information with an emphasis on the socratic method.

Anyway, I'll be there and I'll probably be hanging around Columbia for the entire day... gotta find a place to live, the nearest golf course, and the best lake to fish on. :roll: What is everyone planning to wear? Business casual?


I definitely agree, ASD looks pretty generic. Aside from the financial aid information and maybe meeting some of my potential classmates, I could take or leave the rest of the day. I visited last month and sat in on two classes so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the school so far. I am planning on dressing business casual. They seemed relatively laid back when I visited last time.

Have you started looking at housing at all yet? I've looked a little bit and had so-so luck, I'm planning on visiting a few places while I'm down there too.

I've been googling apartments here and there, asking friends who live in Columbia, and looking at cragislist, but I guess I won't be doing anything substantial until I'm totally for sure going. From the looks of it, it seems like getting a 2 or 3 bedroom comes out a lot cheaper, so I'll probably be looking here and elsewhere for roommates.


Yeah, it seems like most of the one bedrooms near campus have already signed leases for next school year. The complexes that I have contacted a little further out in the suburbs, all seem to operate only sixty days in advance. So its seems like it'll be an interesting process.


Unfortunately most of the apartment complexes near the university are mostly undergraduates. If you don't mind living near them, there are plenty of options.

User avatar
taoist
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:12 am

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby taoist » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:36 am

roneman90 wrote:Unfortunately most of the apartment complexes near the university are mostly undergraduates. If you don't mind living near them, there are plenty of options.


As an undergraduate I had a one bedroom at a place called The Lofts down on south Main Street. It was mediocre - somewhat expensive ($765/month, and I had to cover electricity). It was indeed largely undergraduates, and my main issue was the fact that there is absolutely no insulation between apartments, so I heard almost everything other folks were doing, from carrying on conversations to flushing the toilet. I managed well enough with regard to undergrad, but I don't believe that I could study effectively for law school in that sort of environment. I'd look into Granby Mills or another similarly priced complex if you're planning to live alone in the city - more expensive, but better quality. Whatever you do though, my advice is to steer very clear of Cornell Arms.

columbia26
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 am

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby columbia26 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 am

I grew up and currently live in Columbia. As far as housing, I would not look into apartment complexes outside of downtown {in the suburbs, for example}. Obviously, you will be dealing with a lot of traffic. I live 3 miles away from my job in Columbia right now and it can take me 20 minutes to get to work in the mornings. Most students live in houses/apartments in Shandon & Rosewood. You can find one bedroom apartments/garage apartments in Shandon & Rosewood. You could also look into Vista Commons. A lot of law school students live there. As for Aspyre, Granby Mills, the Lofts, etc., those mainly have undergrads. The police like to make visits Thursday-Sunday looking for underage drinkers. I wouldn't recommend living there. I know law school students who lived there 1L year and they hated it.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 pm

I need to ask you guys something. My boyfriend applied in January and has a 165/3.3 (I know those are his numbers, I've seen his transcript and his LSAT score report). He's also an eagle scout, super active in volunteering and he's been out of college two years working as a paralegal. He's in state too. He got accepted right away, but got no money from SC. None. Not a penny. He got a bs letter today saying he's on the "waiting list" for money. In comparison, I'm in state, straight out of college, 161/3.4, applied last year and I got 4k a year. We're both shocked. There's no red flags on his application (no crim record etc) because he's been accepted to a lot better schools than USC. I was thinking he'd get a lot more than I did with his numbers and better softs. Has anyone else gotten this bs "waiting list for money" letter?

Please help guys, he's super depressed over this.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?


This seems standard. Not everyone is going to initially be offered scholarship money, depending on the school. If people deny their admission to USC, then I'm sure their money gets put back into the pot and he has an opportunity of receiving these monies. I wouldn't count it as a personal blow, but it looks like they've thought other candidates were "more deserving" of the award money. And I don't mean that as a personal attack by any means. Maybe they gave it to out of state applicants. As these folks deny USC, more money will become available.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?


This seems standard. Not everyone is going to initially be offered scholarship money, depending on the school. If people deny their admission to USC, then I'm sure their money gets put back into the pot and he has an opportunity of receiving these monies. I wouldn't count it as a personal blow, but it looks like they've thought other candidates were "more deserving" of the award money. And I don't mean that as a personal attack by any means. Maybe they gave it to out of state applicants. As these folks deny USC, more money will become available.


Oh I don't think it's a person attack it just seems....stupid. I mean, a 165 and nothing? I got something and my lsat score was 4 points lower...I just don't understand.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?


This seems standard. Not everyone is going to initially be offered scholarship money, depending on the school. If people deny their admission to USC, then I'm sure their money gets put back into the pot and he has an opportunity of receiving these monies. I wouldn't count it as a personal blow, but it looks like they've thought other candidates were "more deserving" of the award money. And I don't mean that as a personal attack by any means. Maybe they gave it to out of state applicants. As these folks deny USC, more money will become available.


Oh I don't think it's a person attack it just seems....stupid. I mean, a 165 and nothing? I got something and my lsat score was 4 points lower...I just don't understand.


I know this will sound sexist and "stupid" too, but maybe female vs. male? You would hate that to be the reason but I wouldn't put it past schools.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kmokeefe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?

I got 2k a year with a 157 and a 3.8 (instate so i have cheaper tuition anyway) I was surprised because of my numbers (to clarify: i wasn't expecting anything), but it's still not a lot, so I emailed them letting them know that I got full tuition offered from Mercer, 75% tuition from MSU, and 15k a year from Charleston and basically saying "hey is there any way I can get more." I sent this email yesterday so I haven't heard back yet, but I'm betting I'll get the same response, I'll let you know if/when I do.

If it's any consolation, I've seen Lewis and Clark do the same thing to people with pretty good numbers, so it's definitely not an isolated incident, I don't believe.

Also, I feel like I haven't seen instate people get as much money (both this cycle and past cycles on the board) as OOS students. I think they're trying to draw in new residents.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:54 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?

I got 2k a year with a 157 and a 3.8 (instate so i have cheaper tuition anyway) I was surprised because of my numbers (to clarify: i wasn't expecting anything), but it's still not a lot, so I emailed them letting them know that I got full tuition offered from Mercer, 75% tuition from MSU, and 15k a year from Charleston and basically saying "hey is there any way I can get more." I sent this email yesterday so I haven't heard back yet, but I'm betting I'll get the same response, I'll let you know if/when I do.

If it's any consolation, I've seen Lewis and Clark do the same thing to people with pretty good numbers, so it's definitely not an isolated incident, I don't believe.

Also, I feel like I haven't seen instate people get as much money (both this cycle and past cycles on the board) as OOS students. I think they're trying to draw in new residents.


I agree with this analysis. I think that in-state schools on average give less to in-state students. I was leaning towards the idea that they were offering scholarships to out of state residents in the hopes of luring them in and then as these folks declined, more money would become available.

As a state school, USC is still cheaper than comparable schools so at least there's that.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?

I got 2k a year with a 157 and a 3.8 (instate so i have cheaper tuition anyway) I was surprised because of my numbers (to clarify: i wasn't expecting anything), but it's still not a lot, so I emailed them letting them know that I got full tuition offered from Mercer, 75% tuition from MSU, and 15k a year from Charleston and basically saying "hey is there any way I can get more." I sent this email yesterday so I haven't heard back yet, but I'm betting I'll get the same response, I'll let you know if/when I do.

If it's any consolation, I've seen Lewis and Clark do the same thing to people with pretty good numbers, so it's definitely not an isolated incident, I don't believe.

Also, I feel like I haven't seen instate people get as much money (both this cycle and past cycles on the board) as OOS students. I think they're trying to draw in new residents.


He's in state too. We're just shocked because I remember when he got his 165 we were dancing around thinking he was going to get a substantial amount from USC (five points above the 75th percentile....). If he'd even gotten what I got with a 161 we'd have been surprised and disappointed but we would have been okay with it. But nothing with his numbers (which I know aren't amazing or anything, but for a tier three they're pretty darn good)...it's just unbelievable. Now he's talking about putting off law school for a year, which wouldn't be the end of the world because he has a good job but...I dunno. Still just shocked.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 pm

I will say this though. I know USC is having major financial problems in all areas. I have a public interest job this summer and I applied for the PILS grant. At the meeting about it in December they basically said everyone who applies gets it as long as you're not greedy and ask for a million a dollars. But when I turned in my application they told me in a Big Serious Voice I better not accept an unpaid position and rely on the grant because they have no money this year and are giving it to like two people instead of everyone. It sucks but what are you gonna do.

EDIT: By the way, they told me all this AFTER I'd already secured the job and filled out all the paperwork. I heard nothing other than "oh yeah everyone gets the grant lol" at all the meetings and information sessions. I didn't hear about how they lost all the money until the day I turned in my application. I'm going to love my job and it's where I want to work and I'm really lucky to get it but...still. Annoying. USC has not made a very good impression on me my first year.
Last edited by Rikkugrrl on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kmokeefe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?


This seems standard. Not everyone is going to initially be offered scholarship money, depending on the school. If people deny their admission to USC, then I'm sure their money gets put back into the pot and he has an opportunity of receiving these monies. I wouldn't count it as a personal blow, but it looks like they've thought other candidates were "more deserving" of the award money. And I don't mean that as a personal attack by any means. Maybe they gave it to out of state applicants. As these folks deny USC, more money will become available.


Oh I don't think it's a person attack it just seems....stupid. I mean, a 165 and nothing? I got something and my lsat score was 4 points lower...I just don't understand.


I know this will sound sexist and "stupid" too, but maybe female vs. male? You would hate that to be the reason but I wouldn't put it past schools.


Now that I think about it, if both me and rikkugrrl got money with lower numbers, so it could be a male vs female thing. At first I was like "pfft" but now that I think a little bit more....obviously we're not going on much information so it could very well mean nothing so I don't know.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:07 pm

About the male/female thing...can't see that being a reason as it's about 50/50 men and women, or close to it. If anything, men need a little bit of a boost, because the ladies are going to overtake them pretty soon at this rate

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:About the male/female thing...can't see that being a reason as it's about 50/50 men and women, or close to it. If anything, men need a little bit of a boost, because the ladies are going to overtake them pretty soon at this rate


Haha - I just meant it in overall context that it would make sense because I still think that the law world is dominated by men. I am not a man-hater. I think whoever is the most qualified should get any job, but women are their own form of affirmative action when it comes to law school so I'm sure it was some consideration. Plus, I'm not sure if they detail the award dollars to men vs. women and it very well could be that more women get offered.

Does your boyfriend want to go into corporate law or some other line? Perhaps that was part of it too. Since you're interested in PI work, they "know" that you will be making less of an income over time.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rikkugrrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:About the male/female thing...can't see that being a reason as it's about 50/50 men and women, or close to it. If anything, men need a little bit of a boost, because the ladies are going to overtake them pretty soon at this rate


Haha - I just meant it in overall context that it would make sense because I still think that the law world is dominated by men. I am not a man-hater. I think whoever is the most qualified should get any job, but women are their own form of affirmative action when it comes to law school so I'm sure it was some consideration. Plus, I'm not sure if they detail the award dollars to men vs. women and it very well could be that more women get offered.

Does your boyfriend want to go into corporate law or some other line? Perhaps that was part of it too. Since you're interested in PI work, they "know" that you will be making less of an income over time.


He works at a large corporate defense firm as a paralegal right now and he loves it. He's really interested in contracts and even without taking the class he was a big help in my exam prep. I dunno, I can't see that being the reason either...I mean he listed it on his resume, but that would be a strange reason to turn someone down for money. I was under impression it was look at LSAT, then look at GPA (reverse for a select few schools), then look at softs/whether or not you're a crazy person or have a criminal record. I read his personal statement and it wasn't anything crazy and he's got no record so...I dunno. I'm making myself sick over this and there's nothing to do about it, so I guess I need to just forget about it.

User avatar
icecold3000
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 am

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby icecold3000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I bet he would have gotten money if he applied earlier. January is kinda late if you are going after competitive instate scholarships.

beachy
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby beachy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 am

Im out of state and have been accepted with the merit scholarship that brings my tuition closer to instate- the letter approximates the scholly will be no less than 18,800/year bringing tuition to around 23k/year. There are no stipulations and I receive the scholly until Im able to become a resident at which point I receive the cheaper instate tuition. Do you think its worth it to email and ask for more money? Ive been accepted at some comparably ranked schools and offered money. I have a 160/3.4. Im super interested in USC and will probably go there anyway, but more money is always better.

Im interested in public interest law and it seems that most schools offer public interest scholarships opportunities but I havent been able to find anything on USCs website. Am i missing something? Are there any other scholarships for which I can apply? My biggest concern is hearing that people who are not from SC cant get a job. Im from FL but Im not interested in going into private practice. How do graduates from out of state fare for govt/public jobs?

bmili
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bmili » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 am

beachy wrote:Im out of state and have been accepted with the merit scholarship that brings my tuition closer to instate- the letter approximates the scholly will be no less than 18,800/year bringing tuition to around 23k/year. There are no stipulations and I receive the scholly until Im able to become a resident at which point I receive the cheaper instate tuition. Do you think its worth it to email and ask for more money? Ive been accepted at some comparably ranked schools and offered money. I have a 160/3.4. Im super interested in USC and will probably go there anyway, but more money is always better.

Im interested in public interest law and it seems that most schools offer public interest scholarships opportunities but I havent been able to find anything on USCs website. Am i missing something? Are there any other scholarships for which I can apply? My biggest concern is hearing that people who are not from SC cant get a job. Im from FL but Im not interested in going into private practice. How do graduates from out of state fare for govt/public jobs?


I am curious to see if you get any additional money but my best guess is unlikely. Someone was unsuccessful earlier in the thread using Alabama as a bargaining chip (it was actually cheaper to go there too). The school and state, in general, appear to be having budget problems as well. As far as being an out-of-stater, I know someone from Texas who graduated from USC and clerked after graduation for a district judge, so it is possible.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BACsop, JosefK and 21 guests