South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Duramax80

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Duramax80 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm

SOUTH CAROLINA DROPPED IN THE US NEWS RANKINGS. what the fuck.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:21 pm

kmokeefe wrote:So, in my letter I received today, the scholarship that was in it was called an "academic scholarship." (instate resident here so i didn't get the oos one) I'm going to guess that this is different from a merit scholarship, but idk for sure. Did anyone else get something like that in their letters?

I have not seen anything like that. You'd have to call them, but hey. Money is money. Congrats!

Duramax80 wrote: SOUTH CAROLINA DROPPED IN THE US NEWS RANKINGS. what the fuck.

I don't know about you, but I sure didn't apply because of their ratings by a newspaper. 8)

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
I don't know about you, but I sure didn't apply because of their ratings by a newspaper. 8)

If you dont mind me asking, why did you decide on South Carolina? Im a Georgia resident and I am struggling to choose between USC and Mercer. Im going with USC because I think its a better school, 10k a year cheaper than Mercer (OOS $18,800 scholly at USC, no $ at Mercer), and I wouldnt mind living in South Carolina. I am planning to focus on personal injury and family law, and double bar for SC, GA, and perhaps NC (SC and NC law is quite similar) but I expect my focuses to change as I mature in the program.

Anyway, why are you, or any of my other potential classmates deciding to go to USC?

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

If you dont mind me asking, why did you decide on South Carolina? Im a Georgia resident and I am struggling to choose between USC and Mercer. Im going with USC because I think its a better school, 10k a year cheaper than Mercer (OOS $18,800 scholly at USC, no $ at Mercer), and I wouldnt mind living in South Carolina. I am planning to focus on personal injury and family law, and double bar for SC, GA, and perhaps NC (SC and NC law is quite similar) but I expect my focuses to change as I mature in the program.

Anyway, why are you, or any of my other potential classmates deciding to go to USC?

I'm also stuck between Mercer and USC. Mercer, I have a full tuition scholarship at so it's particularly difficult for me to turn that down. USC has given me a little bit of money (2k a year and I'm instate), but a little bit more would make the decision easier.

Basically for me, what I keep going back to in my head is that at Mercer I'd be at the 4th best law school in the state, whereas at USC I'd be at the best in the state. I really don't know which one I should choose, though.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Duramax80 wrote:If you dont mind me asking, why did you decide on South Carolina? Im a Georgia resident and I am struggling to choose between USC and Mercer. Im going with USC because I think its a better school, 10k a year cheaper than Mercer (OOS $18,800 scholly at USC, no $ at Mercer), and I wouldnt mind living in South Carolina. I am planning to focus on personal injury and family law, and double bar for SC, GA, and perhaps NC (SC and NC law is quite similar) but I expect my focuses to change as I mature in the program.

I don't mind at all! I'm from out of state originally, but I moved here a year early to establish residency. I'm planning on studying law here, and I am very interested in staying in this state. I see zero reason to move elsewhere to 'get out of the area', because I'm already doing so, and U.S.C. offers a very attractive package. I have been up to the law school a few times on tours, and have been impressed with what I saw. The location is great, the admissions office, professors and students were friendly, and the price is right.

As to my personal interest in law, I am keeping my options broad right now. I've done some snooping, and I'd like to try for a clerkship with a judge, perhaps in a civil law area. I don't think I've taken enough law courses to know what I'm interested in, so I'm going to wait until I've taken a bit of the classes before deciding. I think I'll just take the bar for SC, and hopefully be able to establish contacts to get a job here! 8)

taoist

Postby taoist » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Late to this thread, just found it. Was accepted back in January, no scholly as of yet (hoping for something this month). Did my undergrad at USC - actually walked by the law building almost every day on my way to classes - so I'm pretty well familiar with Columbia and the uni. Honestly I'm unsure why some folks dislike the city - I love it, and I've missed it ever since I left. Hope to be back in August.

Duramax80 wrote:SOUTH CAROLINA DROPPED IN THE US NEWS RANKINGS. what the fuck.

Noticed this yesterday, but it's rather inconsequential. 104th and 109th are functionally the same when it comes down to it. If you want to practice law in the state of South Carolina your best bet is USC - an arbitrary ranking won't change that fact, particularly because the legal market here is so insular.

Tombo012 wrote:1L at USC Law willing to answer any questions...hope to see a bunch of you at the Admitted Students' Day coming up this month!

Don't think I'll make it to ASD unfortunately (work calls), but I've a question for you. I don't know how familiar you are with the work study program, but do you have any idea if it's awarded for incoming 1L students? I'm attempting to keep my expenses as low as possible, so even 15 hours or so during the school year would help me tremendously. Want to be sure there will be no hangups, as I believe some schools frown upon or outright disallow working during 1L.

roneman90

Postby roneman90 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm in at Mercer with no money, and yet to be accepted to USC(though I imagine I will be eventually). It would take a good deal of money from USC to persuade me to attend.

Although 3 more years in gamecock country would be nice.

TRLyle

Postby TRLyle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Since we're telling our story and (selling?) Columbia....USC was my main and only option. I'm about 8 years removed from undergrad and currently deployed in the middle east. I'll be back this spring.

Law was something I thought I wanted to do back in college, but decided to ride the real estate and development train out of college (as well as the military reserves, obviously).

I've got a lot of ties and obligations in the Columbia market. USC is very respected in the local region. Columbia is a very low-cost and affordable city as well as has fairly decent perks. The best part is you are close to most everything (ATL, CHA, mountains/beach, etc.).

What most are posting about the insular status holds fairly true. I can't really speak to a prospective student who really doesn't have a general idea of what they want to do or focus on after finishing....My brother is a partner at a Med Malpractice defense firm in the state and I would most likely join his firm....I've had the chance to talk with him and learn a lot about it over the past 3 or 4 years, so it's not a impulse decision.

Money was not really an issue for me either. Uncle Sam (GI Bill) covers pretty much everything at USC's price point.

Sorry if thats not too helpful, but I'm probably in a minority category compared to most applicants applying.

bmili

Postby bmili » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Got my official letter today with in-state waiver ($18,800/year). I've got some thinking to do...

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Such a nice location! What is the likelihood of finding of job in SC coming out from USCLaw vs UTKLaw?

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Comoncents wrote:Such a nice location! What is the likelihood of finding of job in SC coming out from USCLaw vs UTKLaw?

I would think USCLaw has an advantage, but just curious...

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Everything I have seen and everyone I have spoken to has indicated that U.S.C. is best for finding jobs in South Carolina.

As a side note, scholarships came in today. :D

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Everything I have seen and everyone I have spoken to has indicated that U.S.C. is best for finding jobs in South Carolina.

As a side note, scholarships came in today. :D

So you got a merit scholarship in the mail today? Details! :D

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Half scholly at the school. I'm really excited about it. It's one of my top picks.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Half scholly at the school. I'm really excited about it. It's one of my top picks.

Congrats! How exciting! This compelled me to walk to my school mailbox to check even though they don't put out mail on the weekends.

taoist

Postby taoist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:48 am

bmili wrote:Got my official letter today with in-state waiver ($18,800/year). I've got some thinking to do...

Scotusnerd wrote:Half scholly at the school. I'm really excited about it. It's one of my top picks.

Grats guys. Scotusnerd, would you mind sharing your numbers?

Scotusnerd wrote:Everything I have seen and everyone I have spoken to has indicated that U.S.C. is best for finding jobs in South Carolina...

This is true to the best of my knowledge. No such thing as a free lunch of course - grades, networking, the lawyer surplus (ITE), et cetera all play a role - but in South Carolina you're better off with the USC seal at the top of your Juris Doctorate.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Does anyone know when we should be hearing about financial aid packages?

taoist

Postby taoist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:15 pm

kmokeefe wrote:Does anyone know when we should be hearing about financial aid packages?

Per the student intranet financial aid will be awarded beginning April 1 - wish it was sometime this month, but it is what it is. That particular notification will determine once and for all exactly where I'm heading and when.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:24 pm

I have a 164 LSAT/3.67 GPA.

What exactly are the financial aid packages?

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I have a 164 LSAT/3.67 GPA.

Idk for sure but I'm thinking along the lines of what type of loans, how much, and possibly work study? I'm really hoping they include work study but I don't know what their policy is on it (like when students can do it because some schools don't let you work your first year), all i know is I saw it mentioned in my letter with fin aid opportunities.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 pm

taoist wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:Does anyone know when we should be hearing about financial aid packages?

Per the student intranet financial aid will be awarded beginning April 1 - wish it was sometime this month, but it is what it is. That particular notification will determine once and for all exactly where I'm heading and when.

Ah, thanks! Yeah that leaves me with little time since Mercer's seat deposit deadline is April 9th, so the fin aid package from USC will be a deal breaker for me.

taoist

Postby taoist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I have a 164 LSAT/3.67 GPA.

Thanks - attempting to gauge my chances at some amount of merit aid.

From what I've gathered USC awards the standard Stafford loans, up to $6000/year in Perkins, and work study (if you checked that box in your FAFSA, anyway). I believe after that it's Grad PLUS.

kmokeefe wrote:Idk for sure but I'm thinking along the lines of what type of loans, how much, and possibly work study? I'm really hoping they include work study but I don't know what their policy is on it (like when students can do it because some schools don't let you work your first year), all i know is I saw it mentioned in my letter with fin aid opportunities.

I'm wondering about this as well.

kmokeefe wrote:Ah, thanks! Yeah that leaves me with little time since Mercer's seat deposit deadline is April 9th, so the fin aid package from USC will be a deal breaker for me.

Same here. The only other school I'm seriously considering has a seat deposit deadline of April 15th, and there's no way I can afford to put down two deposits, so it's certainly going to be a close one.

DRDGMU

Postby DRDGMU » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Has anyone decided on South Carolina for sure? I am going to send in my seat deposit this week. Truth be told I am getting pretty excited.

Anyone else planning on going to admitted students day next Saturday?

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Im still waiting on Georgia State PT, but Im not expecting anything other than a waitlist. That being said, USC is my numero uno at this point, and I will be attending Admitted Students Day with my +1. I'll be completely honest with you, I read the itinerary, and I probably wont stay too long. Everything theyre going to tell us, from what Ive heard, can be found through personal research online, which I'm sure everyone in this thread has already analyzed in detail. However, I am excited to see the mock law class and examine how the professors convey information with an emphasis on the socratic method.

Anyway, I'll be there and I'll probably be hanging around Columbia for the entire day... gotta find a place to live, the nearest golf course, and the best lake to fish on. :roll: What is everyone planning to wear? Business casual?

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm

I would like to go to ASD, but it's the same day as Mercer's and I'll be heading to Macon Friday for that since they're paying for travel and hotel expenses for scholarship recipients. I'm 100% definitely going to visit USC before April to help with my decision, so it will most likely be the weekend after that I visit.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”