UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Beachbum89

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Are a lot of people thinking Puerta Del Sol? It's kind of expensive but it's pretty nice and literally right next to the law school so that's where I'll probably be if I end up at UCI.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:Are a lot of people thinking Puerta Del Sol? It's kind of expensive but it's pretty nice and literally right next to the law school so that's where I'll probably be if I end up at UCI.

I'm hoping to do Verano. A former UCI undergrad told me that I should definitely go for the more expensive ones. But I'm trying to go for the "live like a law student during law school..." rule.

vahem

Postby vahem » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:05 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:Are a lot of people thinking Puerta Del Sol? It's kind of expensive but it's pretty nice and literally right next to the law school so that's where I'll probably be if I end up at UCI.

I'm hoping to do Verano. A former UCI undergrad told me that I should definitely go for the more expensive ones. But I'm trying to go for the "live like a law student during law school..." rule.

My buddy used to live in Puerta Del Sol. It is definitely a very nice apartment. Personally, I don't see the need for a nice apartment when most of my time is going to be spent in the library or on campus. Essentially, I just need a place to sleep, cook, and shower.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I stopped by the law school today to drop off my financial aid stuff. I found out right then and there that I wouldn't be getting any need-based grant. Kind of a bummer seeing as Davis is giving me a 13k need-based grant. Nasreen, the director of financial aid, said the grants are 5k for the first year and not guaranteed for subsequent years. She also said I'd get my financial aid letter with all the loans and stuff like that in the next week or two so I'd imagine that applies to everyone else as well. And I did ask about tuition and was told it won't be set until the summer like someone else previously posted.

I also dropped by Puerta Del Sol and was told I'd probably have to settle for a studio as there aren't many of the two bedroom-two bathroom apartments (where you get your own room) and that I probably wouldn't get one.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:I stopped by the law school today to drop off my financial aid stuff. I found out right then and there that I wouldn't be getting any need-based grant. Kind of a bummer seeing as Davis is giving me a 13k need-based grant. Nasreen, the director of financial aid, said the grants are 5k for the first year and not guaranteed for subsequent years. She also said I'd get my financial aid letter with all the loans and stuff like that in the next week or two so I'd imagine that applies to everyone else as well. And I did ask about tuition and was told it won't be set until the summer like someone else previously posted.

I also dropped by Puerta Del Sol and was told I'd probably have to settle for a studio as there aren't many of the two bedroom-two bathroom apartments (where you get your own room) and that I probably wouldn't get one.

:shock:

martorem

Postby martorem » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:I stopped by the law school today to drop off my financial aid stuff. I found out right then and there that I wouldn't be getting any need-based grant. Kind of a bummer seeing as Davis is giving me a 13k need-based grant. Nasreen, the director of financial aid, said the grants are 5k for the first year and not guaranteed for subsequent years. She also said I'd get my financial aid letter with all the loans and stuff like that in the next week or two so I'd imagine that applies to everyone else as well. And I did ask about tuition and was told it won't be set until the summer like someone else previously posted.

WHAAAAT. I was hoping to combine my merit scholly with a little need scholly and have this be doable...I guess my 15k/year need scholarship from BU wasn't a good indicator of what other schools would think I'd need...UGH I hate this process...

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

If there is one thing I've found most frustrating about UCI - it is housing. Law school didn't hire those folks and it shows. If you are willing to be patient I advise riding out waitlists for housing. And bug them nicely every now and then. In person is best if you are local, but email works as well.

I was told I had virtually no chance at Verano a number of times before I got here, and I got word late July, literally days before I was going to give up and sign a lease off campus, that they had housing for me. And if you are willing to be flexible about complexes even better. You will get a two bedroom somewhere if you make 2 bedroom your priority. The PDS 2 bedrooms aren't so good a deal that you are screwed if you have to live off campus. You might even be able to find places that will be a few hundred dollars a month less, they just won't be furnished, and you are less likely to be sharing with a law student.

During ASD, I would recommend talking to as many students as possible who live on campus about their housing experience - the students in PDS will likely be more helpful about the complex than I can be. But the more students you talk to the more informed you will be. And my feeling is take what the housing people tell you with a little bit of a grain of salt. They will try and steer you to the complex and apartment type they need to fill the most and they will be very pessimistic about other options.

Good luck!

DeusExCyber

Postby DeusExCyber » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:

D1Swimmer

Postby D1Swimmer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 am

So I know this question was brought up earlier, but I'm directing this more at all the women going to ASW. What are y'all wearing? The last thing I want to do is wear business attire a from 7am - 10pm, but... Any thoughts?

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:25 pm

D1Swimmer wrote:So I know this question was brought up earlier, but I'm directing this more at all the women going to ASW. What are y'all wearing? The last thing I want to do is wear business attire a from 7am - 10pm, but... Any thoughts?

I was wondering about that too. The e-mail says the dress code is business casual... I'm wondering if this means I can or cannot wear jeans.

vahem

Postby vahem » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 pm

hellothisisme wrote:
D1Swimmer wrote:So I know this question was brought up earlier, but I'm directing this more at all the women going to ASW. What are y'all wearing? The last thing I want to do is wear business attire a from 7am - 10pm, but... Any thoughts?

I was wondering about that too. The e-mail says the dress code is business casual... I'm wondering if this means I can or cannot wear jeans.

Yeah, I am confused about it too. Seems like everyone has their own idea of what business casual is.

D1Swimmer

Postby D1Swimmer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:04 pm

vahem wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:

Yeah, I am confused about it too. Seems like everyone has their own idea of what business casual is.

Yeah I'm really hoping I can get away with dark jeans....

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 pm

"we want you to be relaxed, but business casual will be the order of the day"?

When it has business in it, it sounds like slacks to me... with a polo shirt? or a nice top?

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm

In my opinion, business casual in California = dockers/slacks & polo/dress shirt/sweater w/out tie.

Or you could just rock it the Quinn Emanuel way...

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:

He's got the shoes I was planning to wear!

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:32 pm

TLS dress code for the guys...

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:11 pm

suitjamas

abryn

Postby abryn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm

If it makes any of the guys feel better, I will be wearing dark jeans and nice shirt. I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things because they should be impressing us, not the other way around lol.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm

abryn wrote:If it makes any of the guys feel better, I will be wearing dark jeans and nice shirt. I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things because they should be impressing us, not the other way around lol.

True that. Besides, it's not like they're going to come up to us and say "actually, we're withdrawing our offer of admission because you're wearing jeans."

We should have a "everyone wear jeans" boycott.

pilarf

Postby pilarf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:"we want you to be relaxed, but business casual will be the order of the day"?

When it has business in it, it sounds like slacks to me... with a polo shirt? or a nice top?

hmm, I took it as nice jeans, boots, nice top and a blazer?

D1Swimmer

Postby D1Swimmer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm

pilarf wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:"we want you to be relaxed, but business casual will be the order of the day"?

Ok y'all are making me feel better about this. While I understand not showing up in short shorts and a tank, I felt ridiculous trying to figure out what to wear. Dark jeans doesnt sound too bad to me. Plus our schedule is like 7 am to 10 pm. Yeah... I'm not wearing binding clothes like that for that long. :) I realize how girly that sounds.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 pm

D1Swimmer wrote:
pilarf wrote:

Ok y'all are making me feel better about this. While I understand not showing up in short shorts and a tank, I felt ridiculous trying to figure out what to wear. Dark jeans doesnt sound too bad to me. Plus our schedule is like 7 am to 10 pm. Yeah... I'm not wearing binding clothes like that for that long. :) I realize how girly that sounds.

No, but for real. I was sad when I got that email. :oops:

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:15 am

I'm wearing jeans/blazer. Hope that's business/casual enough for them

DeusExCyber

Postby DeusExCyber » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 am

For me as a male: Jeans, shirt, and tie.

Or maybe this:

I'm still deciding...

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:28 am

Alright, heading to the airport now. I have brought... about every possible outfit mentioned so far. :oops: it's gonna be a snap decision haha.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”