UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TrojanHopeful

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
splitbrain wrote:[img]

Just gonna toss in my $0.02 that I reeeally don't give a crap where UCI ends up in the rankings. I like the size, the professors, the location, and they're having employment results (based on clerkships and 2L SA's) that I am happy with. No need for a USN pissing contest.

Is there any data on 2L SA rates and Article III clerkships? That would be interesting to see.

From what I recall it is listed on their website. Don't remember exactly where, so you might have to hunt a little.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

splitbrain wrote:Just gonna toss in my $0.02 that I reeeally don't give a crap where UCI ends up in the rankings. I like the size, the professors, the location, and they're having employment results (based on clerkships and 2L SA's) that I am happy with. No need for a USN pissing contest.

Is there any data on 2L SA rates and Article III clerkships? That would be interesting to see.

http://www.uci.edu/features/2011/12/feature_clerkships_111212.php

"As of mid-December, 14 students – or 24.1 percent – of the 58-member class of 2012 had obtained 16 judicial clerkships. (Two have accepted both U.S. District Court clerkships for 2012 and U.S. Court of Appeals clerkships for 2013.)

Eleven students – or 19 percent – have positions with federal district or appellate judges, so-called Article III judges with lifetime appointments. The other three will clerk for a justice of the Alaska Supreme Court, a Nevada bankruptcy judge and a California bankruptcy judge. (Several additional students are still waiting to hear about clerkship applications.)"

http://www.law.uci.edu/career_dev/offers_and_employment.html

About 19/38 students who landed firm SA's were at 100+ attorney firms (I looked up the data on each firm they had listed).

***ETA for anybody reading: Remember that clerkships are for post-graduation and the 2L SA's are for Summer 2011; there is probably some overlap in these numbers.
Last edited by splitbrain on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uci+law+judicial+clerkships

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uci+law+summer+placement

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I actually have no animosity for UCI. Took a couple classes there over the summer when home from my UG, I grew up 15 minutes from the campus, I enjoyed the time I sent there and in their amazing gym lol. I just dont want people to go there under the assumption it will be a T20. Next year when the rankings come out and they are 35-45 (big IF, they could be number 15 we dont know), will you be happy with your decision? If so, then you made a great choice. Graduating from Law school with less debt than many undergraduates is something many can only dream of. But there is also risk involved.

Personally, I am thrilled if we rank anywhere in the top 50 given we are a brand new school, and in general the ranking doesn't matter to me. Wherever we rank I am happy with my decision. I love my classmates, I love the support here at the school, and I have been happy with the opportunities I have had. I am happy that I was able to find a summer position on the east coast as a 1L and I was able to obtain an SA as a 2L. We don't have rankings but I would guess I am somewhere in the top 20-40% (yep that broad a range because I really have no idea) - so I am not a super star and FWIW I chose not to do law review as well. So job wise I couldn't be happier.

I've also been able to do great PI related externships during the school year and am still unsure if I want to do firm work or PI when I graduate - I am happy I get to experience both.

Not everyone who wanted an SA got one, so I can't say it is all flowers and spring for everyone, but the overall placement levels seem pretty strong and the support is definitely there if you want it. And we have strong placement at high profile PI organizations like the ACLU. And I think even at a T14 there is SOME risk entering law today when it comes to finding jobs. I saw from OCI that there is clearly some luck in the process - sometimes you get lucky and click with an interviewer and sometimes you don't.

What makes me happy is the feedback our students are getting about their work. I've gotten a lot of praise on my motions and memos for my externships, as have other students - in fact the example of a good motion I was given for my first motion this semester was written by one of our externs from last semester. In the end, if our students come out and do good work, that is what will carry the day.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm

uci2013 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I actually have no animosity for UCI. Took a couple classes there over the summer when home from my UG, I grew up 15 minutes from the campus, I enjoyed the time I sent there and in their amazing gym lol. I just dont want people to go there under the assumption it will be a T20. Next year when the rankings come out and they are 35-45 (big IF, they could be number 15 we dont know), will you be happy with your decision? If so, then you made a great choice. Graduating from Law school with less debt than many undergraduates is something many can only dream of. But there is also risk involved.

Personally, I am thrilled if we rank anywhere in the top 50 given we are a brand new school, and in general the ranking doesn't matter to me. Wherever we rank I am happy with my decision. I love my classmates, I love the support here at the school, and I have been happy with the opportunities I have had. I am happy that I was able to find a summer position on the east coast as a 1L and I was able to obtain an SA as a 2L. We don't have rankings but I would guess I am somewhere in the top 20-40% (yep that broad a range because I really have no idea) - so I am not a super star and FWIW I chose not to do law review as well. So job wise I couldn't be happier.

I've also been able to do great PI related externships during the school year and am still unsure if I want to do firm work or PI when I graduate - I am happy I get to experience both.

Not everyone who wanted an SA got one, so I can't say it is all flowers and spring for everyone, but the overall placement levels seem pretty strong and the support is definitely there if you want it. And we have strong placement at high profile PI organizations like the ACLU. And I think even at a T14 there is SOME risk entering law today when it comes to finding jobs. I saw from OCI that there is clearly some luck in the process - sometimes you get lucky and click with an interviewer and sometimes you don't.

What makes me happy is the feedback our students are getting about their work. I've gotten a lot of praise on my motions and memos for my externships, as have other students - in fact the example of a good motion I was given for my first motion this semester was written by one of our externs from last semester. In the end, if our students come out and do good work, that is what will carry the day.

You are being way to nice, even at the T-14 there is a shitton of risk, especially with the amounts of debt some of us put ourselves into. There had to be less competition for the class of 2012 (or is 2013 the first to graduate) since no one had to pay tuition (correct?) which means a much smaller burden of debt

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Wow, I'm sorry for starting all of this, haha. I really appreciate everybody's input. I have not ruled out UCI as I am a big fan of their program and everything they have accomplished so far. But UCLA is also a very good and already well-respected school in southern California so my decision will be tough, especially with that 90k scholarship. Like I stated previously, I am visiting both schools as well as USC next week, so I should have a better idea of where I best fit after that.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:50 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Wow, I'm sorry for starting all of this, haha. I really appreciate everybody's input. I have not ruled out UCI as I am a big fan of their program and everything they have accomplished so far. But UCLA is also a very good and already well-respected school in southern California so my decision will be tough, especially with that 90k scholarship. Like I stated previously, I am visiting both schools as well as USC next week, so I should have a better idea of where I best fit after that.

imadude

Postby imadude » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Just read through the reading for the mock class. Its fairly short, and, IMO, pretty interesting.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:09 pm

imadude wrote:Just read through the reading for the mock class. Its fairly short, and, IMO, pretty interesting.

+1...Saturday's mock class should be interesting.

Did anyone else sign up for Chemerinsky's class on Friday?

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
imadude wrote:Just read through the reading for the mock class. Its fairly short, and, IMO, pretty interesting.

I tried to, but as an in-state student, may not be allowed to do it. Too bad I don't have time during the week to come. . .

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

I tried to, but as an in-state student, may not be allowed to do it. Too bad I don't have time during the week to come. . .

Same here but norcal so i think they treat it as oos for this. i just replied to the email with a check mark for attending the class. was there something else required?

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm

lrslayer wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

Same here but norcal so i think they treat it as oos for this. i just replied to the email with a check mark for attending the class. was there something else required?

I emailed the office to RSVP when the schedule came out, but I'm sure replying to the last email is sufficient. Norcal and out-of-state people get dibs (hopefully there's room for us lawgeek).

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I emailed the office to RSVP when the schedule came out, but I'm sure replying to the last email is sufficient. Norcal and out-of-state people get dibs (hopefully there's room for us lawgeek).[/quote]

I did exactly the same! I even thought about explaining why coming at any other time would be impossible- But, I really don't want to take space for those who are coming out of state (or NorCal)... Hopefully my Spring Quarter schedule will be more lenient if I can't go during this quarter.

Yet another advantage of coming from the "big and prestigious" UCLA ;)

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Ya I told them I didn't really mind if they let me sit in that class or not. I see the reasoning for the priority for Nor Cal and OOS visitors: people from SoCal can visit and sit in on his classes pretty much whenever.

btw384

Postby btw384 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:45 pm

UCI just responded to my negotiation request. I let them know about a few good offers from schools that I thought were competitive. They responded by saying that they would definitely reconsider my scholarship offer, but that they would be unable to increase my offer by any more than a few thousand dollars. Given that my current scholarship leaves COA at about $180k, I will probably be withdrawing this week.

The response letter was definitely a copy-paste job though. Mentioned that they are unable to compete with the large endowments that private schools offer, even though all three of the schools that I mentioned were public schools.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

imadude

Postby imadude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

btw384 wrote:UCI just responded to my negotiation request. I let them know about a few good offers from schools that I thought were competitive. They responded by saying that they would definitely reconsider my scholarship offer, but that they would be unable to increase my offer by any more than a few thousand dollars. Given that my current scholarship leaves COA at about $180k, I will probably be withdrawing this week.

The response letter was definitely a copy-paste job though. Mentioned that they are unable to compete with the large endowments that private schools offer, even though all three of the schools that I mentioned were public schools.

How long ago did you send yours in?

btw384

Postby btw384 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm

imadude wrote:
btw384 wrote:UCI just responded to my negotiation request. I let them know about a few good offers from schools that I thought were competitive. They responded by saying that they would definitely reconsider my scholarship offer, but that they would be unable to increase my offer by any more than a few thousand dollars. Given that my current scholarship leaves COA at about $180k, I will probably be withdrawing this week.

Less than a week ago.

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:43 pm

I tried negotiating with them about 3 weeks ago and got the same email. Definite copy job.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:48 pm

From what I understand from the last cycle, they don't negotiate scholarships. However, once the deadline to SIR passed, some people in TLS got their scholarship increased (even those who already SIRed!). Now I don't know/think that it was a significant amount (i.e. As in from 5k to 15k), but at least it was something. I know of at least two people who were offered full rides who will be withdrawing. Perhaps they'll do the same this year?

imadude

Postby imadude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 pm

btw384 wrote:
imadude wrote:

Less than a week ago.

I'm coming up on two weeks since I sent mine and haven't heard a peep. Good or bad sign?

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm

imadude wrote:I'm coming up on two weeks since I sent mine and haven't heard a peep. Good or bad sign?

Did you send it to admissions? I initially sent mine to Janice's email, but when she didn't respond after about 2 weeks I sent it to the admissions email and she responded the next day.

imadude

Postby imadude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 pm

padawanphil wrote:
imadude wrote:I'm coming up on two weeks since I sent mine and haven't heard a peep. Good or bad sign?

Did you send it to admissions? I initially sent mine to Janice's email, but when she didn't respond after about 2 weeks I sent it to the admissions email and she responded the next day.

I sent it directly to Janice. I'll forward it to admissions, I guess.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:08 am

padawanphil wrote:I tried negotiating with them about 3 weeks ago and got the same email. Definite copy job.

+1.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:15 am

TrojanHopeful wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:Any idea of when we receive financial aid packages info? I was wondering if it was on a rolling basis or a certain date, etc.

When I spoke with Nazreen (financial aid) she said they would be sending it out sometime this month.

I wish this would happen sooner than later...

vahem

Postby vahem » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Anyone paying sticker, or close to sticker for UCI c/o 2015?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”