UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
martorem

Bronze

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by martorem » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:17 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
splitbrain wrote:Not honestly sure which I prefer:

or

Also, in the interest of adding something useful to the discussion, I just got an e-mail about the schedule for ASW and the reading for the mock class...interesting stuff (all reading next year is going to be that short...right? ....Right? Haha...)

The top one has been around WAYYY longer then the "bro"...my vote goes to the classic.
I can't see anything... :(

And also got the email this morning!! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for the next week and a half, I'm so excited!!

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 pm

LOL! The first one totally gets my vote.

DeusExCyber

New

Post by DeusExCyber » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 pm

A Warning About UCI Law and Its Area:
I hope you guys and gals head my warning well. It is quite dreadful living/working here in this area.

For example, I finished my work today at 6:00pm and walked to my car. Walking outside is simply horrendous!!! The sun is shining brightly and has not set at all… And the BIRDS!!! Oh the BIRDS!!! How they keep chirping away. Furthermore, driving is simply a dreadful experience. If you roll down the windows, then you cannot control the wafts of fresh air. Furthermore, you simply do not have time to think to yourself as the flow of traffic simply moves too fast on the highway. As I turned the corner of my old high school, I can hear the dreadful screams of laughter and joys of our youth. Simply grotesque!!! Here I am at my home, trying to type this warning as the sun rays still stream from my windows.

Keep this in mind as you choose UCI Law: Like any other law school, you will have to make sacrifices – one of which is the weather. The weather can be simply unbearable at times, such as today…
/sarcasm

---

All jesting aside, I cannot wait for the upcoming symposium at UCI Law this Thursday/Friday and Admitted Students Weekend!!! You will see how TERRIBLE the weather can be at the second to last event for ASW ;)

Also, thank you for the congrats. I should do the same for all who were accepted as well: "Congrats!"

chen8406

New

Post by chen8406 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:^
Basically, we'll be a class to remember!
What are you, like 5?

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:47 am

chen8406 wrote:
What are you, like 5?
And 1/2!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chen8406

New

Post by chen8406 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:
chen8406 wrote:
What are you, like 5?
And 1/2!
Well that is a class to remember.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 am

chen8406 wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
And 1/2!
Great. Now you can go back to doing whatever it is that you do, while I'm still celebrating.

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:23 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:
chen8406 wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
And 1/2!
Great. Now you can go back to doing whatever it is that you do, while I'm still celebrating.
Yeah I'm glad this person decided to come out of the shadows for such a great contribution to our thread.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:41 am

Congrats everyone I spent the first 18 years of my life in Lake Forest/Irvine. Awesome area!! I am sure many on this thread know more than I do but I can help answer some questions about the area if anyone would like :)

Oh and if you can, live in Newport. It wont be good for your grades, but man is it awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:15 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Oh and if you can, live in Newport. It wont be good for your grades, but man is it awesome.
Yeah I was probably going to save that for 3L, haha.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:07 pm

chen8406 wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
chen8406 wrote:
What are you, like 5?
And 1/2!
Why you so bitter? If you want to come in here and hate, then...

Now, where were we...

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Gahhh I want to go here! I didn't think of applying with my numbers this cycle (3.12/158) and I was so focused on getting into USD, but now I'm retaking in June and hopefully I can get in to UCI next cycle.

I would think that it would be a waste to apply this late in the cycle to UCI right? Although it would be nice to miraculously get WL'd and accepted.... thoughts?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Gahhh I want to go here! I didn't think of applying with my numbers this cycle (3.12/158) and I was so focused on getting into USD, but now I'm retaking in June and hopefully I can get in to UCI next cycle.

I would think that it would be a waste to apply this late in the cycle to UCI right? Although it would be nice to miraculously get WL'd and accepted.... thoughts?
Not worth it with those numbers. Now after you retake you never know!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

splitbrain wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Oh and if you can, live in Newport. It wont be good for your grades, but man is it awesome.
Yeah I was probably going to save that for 3L, haha.
Haha not a bad idea!

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:32 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Gahhh I want to go here! I didn't think of applying with my numbers this cycle (3.12/158) and I was so focused on getting into USD, but now I'm retaking in June and hopefully I can get in to UCI next cycle.

Applications are currently closed per their website (http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/applying.html). :(

Good luck on your retake! Hopefully see you Fall 2013!

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for the input... hope to see you all there next year! Congrats to everyone btw!

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Out of curiosity, is anybody considering attending UCI over UCLA/USC?

I was offered a full ride at Irvine and I really like the area, the weather, the atmosphere...... And I like Orange County better than LA. But the rational part of me is telling me it'd be better to go somewhere with an established alumni network. Plus I got a pretty good scholarship at UCLA (still waiting to hear about $ from USC).

I already made a thread about this awhile ago but I keep wavering. Blah.
Last edited by hellothisisme on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:34 pm

My numbers are 153/3.75. I have done a lot of extracurricular work on top of part-time work and school. I am also from a disadvantaged background. I'd say my biggest asset was my Why UCI essay. UCI was my number one choice and I think it showed. When you write yours, and if you'd like some input, I'd love to help.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:38 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Out of curiosity, is anybody considering attending UCI over UCLA/USC?

I was offered a full ride at Irvine and I really like the area, the weather, the atmosphere...... But the rational part of me is telling me it'd be better to go somewhere with an established alumni network. Plus I got a pretty good scholarship at UCLA (still waiting to hear from USC).

Would an alumni network make that much difference when you come out of law school with less than 45k in debt?* Go where your heart tells you though. You gotta be "happy" to thrive. And no matter the network, if your law school work is poor, your employment prospects will be poor as well.

*Assuming full tuition scholarship at UCI plus attendance costs such as living expenses.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm

lawgeekgrl you are my idol! PM'd you and thank you for your gracious offer :)

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
hellothisisme wrote:Out of curiosity, is anybody considering attending UCI over UCLA/USC?

I was offered a full ride at Irvine and I really like the area, the weather, the atmosphere...... But the rational part of me is telling me it'd be better to go somewhere with an established alumni network. Plus I got a pretty good scholarship at UCLA (still waiting to hear from USC).

Would an alumni network make that much difference when you come out of law school with less than 45k in debt?* Go where your heart tells you though. You gotta be "happy" to thrive. And no matter the network, if your law school work is poor, your employment prospects will be poor as well.

*Assuming full tuition scholarship at UCI plus attendance costs such as living expenses.
Yep, I would be paying my own living expenses. And thank you for the good advice. I'm traveling to SoCal next week for UCI's ASW and I'll also be visiting UCLA and USC while I'm there, so I should know more about how I feel about each school after that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:

My numbers are 153/3.75. I have done a lot of extracurricular work on top of part-time work and school. I am also from a disadvantaged background. I'd say my biggest asset was my Why UCI essay. UCI was my number one choice and I think it showed. When you write yours, and if you'd like some input, I'd love to help.
you got in with a 153/3.75? By disadvantaged background do you mean you are a URM? They give big boosts for one and not the other

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 pm

I was offered a full ride at Irvine and I really like the area, the weather, the atmosphere...... And I like Orange County better than LA. But the rational part of me is telling me it'd be better to go somewhere with an established alumni network. Plus I got a pretty good scholarship at UCLA (still waiting to hear about $ from USC).

This totally depends. What is the total cost of attendance after scholarship for each? Or you could go by just the difference in tuition as COL will be similar. Graduating from USC/UCLA will give you huge advantages that UCI will not. They are solid programs that are established with not only alumni but attorneys that have proven they can perform well. If you list the total COA for each this would be easier. But If UCLA offered you half tuition, really anything over 10K a year, I dont think this is even a conversation, you need to go to UCLA.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I can see that being a tough choice. Did you do a clichéd pro/con list?

Are you taking personal preference into account?

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:

you got in with a 153/3.75? By disadvantaged background do you mean you are a URM? They give big boosts for one and not the other
Not every URM is disadvantaged and not every disadvantaged person is a URM. I'm what they call a non-URM Hispanic. Meaning I am from Latin America, yet not from a historically underrepresented minority in the US. I am self-supporting. I basically had to start from nothing and put myself where I am today. Which may explain why I am overly enthusiastic that I have made it this far.

I know the LSAT is important but it isn't the end of the world. For example, I'm sure that with a better LSAT, I would have received better scholarships, and perhaps better offers. However, since UCI was the place where I wanted to go to begin with, I like to think that I couldn't have gotten a better offer. I definitely could have done better on the LSAT, but the circumstances at the time weren't right.

I think if one has low numbers, you gotta compensate HEAVILY for it. For example, though I work part-time, intern, and do community service, my GPA continues to be high. Add to that the fact that I am an honors student, so I have longer assignments to worry about than the rest of my peers.

But even then, I think trying this hard isn't always necessary. If it's right for you, it is. Schools have so much wiggle room to accept lower LSATs or GPAs or both, so if they wanted to do it, they would. But if I put myself in the shoes of admissions staff and look at poor scores of someone who only goes to school, and has been supported by their parents, then I'd think they're not ready yet for the challenges of law school. Simply put, I wouldn't have someone come so that they can fail out and be in debt. But this is why we are all special cases in some way, so this is why I do admire staff who actually look at ALL of the application.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”