UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitbrain

Silver

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by splitbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 pm

+8
D1Swimmer wrote:Ok so for y'all that have sent in their SIR, did yall go to te ASW? Was that what sold you?
I went but I was already sold. It was just nice to help support my decision from a more subjective standpoint. This includes seeing two professors teach as well as hearing feedback from 0Ls-3Ls and taking a close look at their stress levels, personalities, and their thoughts about the school. From a more objective standpoint, their clerkship results + 2L SA placement, even adjusting for the new ~110 person class size, are enough to make me feel comfortable (while still acknowledging the obvious risk involved).

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

hipLonghorn wrote:I am 99% sure I am going to UCI. The only thing keeping me from reaching 100% is that I have not heard back from UCLA. I am almost at the point that a response from UCLA would not matter...I'm holding out for a few more days.
+1 !!

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:52 pm

i dont think we are gonna end up with the 110 size class that they spoke of. i am guessing this off of the fact that i have just heard that the con law will be two sections as opposed to the 3 sections we were quoted at asw. also, fin aid packages are supposed to be back within the next week.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

lrslayer wrote:i dont think we are gonna end up with the 110 size class that they spoke of. i am guessing this off of the fact that i have just heard that the con law will be two sections as opposed to the 3 sections we were quoted at asw. also, fin aid packages are supposed to be back within the next week.
This could have something to do with the feedback received... I know a lot of people showed their disappointment with the division. Though either way, I'd be happier with a smaller class anyway.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
lrslayer wrote:i dont think we are gonna end up with the 110 size class that they spoke of. i am guessing this off of the fact that i have just heard that the con law will be two sections as opposed to the 3 sections we were quoted at asw. also, fin aid packages are supposed to be back within the next week.
This could have something to do with the feedback received... I know a lot of people showed their disappointment with the division. Though either way, I'd be happier with a smaller class anyway.
Where did you hear that? And yes, I actually expressed my concern about the creation of sections for ConLaw....I mean, everyone is going to want to take Chem. I know I was not alone in doing so either.

Actually, this is kind of surprising, I was worrying that the class would end up being larger than the 110 since the apps were up 105% and it seemed like a large majority of people I talked to @ ASW were leaning towards SIRing.

Is the new tuition out???

Edit: Another explanation for 2 sections instead of 3 could be that the professor teaching the 3rd section is no longer willing/able to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

With all due respect, I believe the vast majority of the more recent conversations ITT could and should be moved to an admitted/class of 2015 thread...and this thread should be left for those to discuss application status.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:With all due respect, I believe the vast majority of the more recent conversations ITT could and should be moved to an admitted/class of 2015 thread...and this thread should be left for those to discuss application status.
You turned in your app on the last possible day, didn't you?

D1Swimmer

New

Post by D1Swimmer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

splitbrain wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:With all due respect, I believe the vast majority of the more recent conversations ITT could and should be moved to an admitted/class of 2015 thread...and this thread should be left for those to discuss application status.
You turned in your app on the last possible day, didn't you?
Ummm seriously? Now I'm just going to be obnoxious on purpose.

Sorry, that's mean but really? Every thread is like this. Sorry we're all excited. Hope everyone else agrees.

Edit: not talking to you split brain. I giggled at your response.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Nah it's cool. I get what he was saying but disagree. There isn't going to be much movement right now since it is almost a month after the deadline (hence my observation). The rules of this board state that applicants are free to discuss the school as long as it doesn't turn into a debate about whether or not it is worth attending (citing the NYLS thread here).

And, quite frankly, I just don't want to keep track of 3 different conversations about the same friggin' topic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D1Swimmer

New

Post by D1Swimmer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 pm

:) I can't stay mad. I'm just too happy about this whole process.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:20 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
Where did you hear that? And yes, I actually expressed my concern about the creation of sections for ConLaw....I mean, everyone is going to want to take Chem. I know I was not alone in doing so either.

Actually, this is kind of surprising, I was worrying that the class would end up being larger than the 110 since the apps were up 105% and it seemed like a large majority of people I talked to @ ASW were leaning towards SIRing.

Is the new tuition out???

Edit: Another explanation for 2 sections instead of 3 could be that the professor teaching the 3rd section is no longer willing/able to do so.
pm'ed

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Can't be bothered to keep track of more than one thread? Best of luck to you in law school.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:Can't be bothered to keep track of more than one thread? Best of luck to you in law school.
picardfacepalm.jpg

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gregucla10

New

Post by gregucla10 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Can't look past a few posts that you think should be moved to a different thread? Best of luck to you in life.

Oh, and +9.

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 pm

gregucla10 wrote:Can't look past a few posts that you think should be moved to a different thread? Best of luck to you in life.

Oh, and +9.
More like 4-5 pages...."can't post in appropriate forum/thread." Best of luck on your 1L exams. I hope you are able to match your answers to the correct questions.

Here you go....I mean it was created for a reason...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=25

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:56 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
gregucla10 wrote:Can't look past a few posts that you think should be moved to a different thread? Best of luck to you in life.

Oh, and +9.
More like 4-5 pages...."can't post in appropriate forum/thread." Best of luck on your 1L exams. I hope you are able to match your answers to the correct questions.

Here you go....I mean it was created for a reason...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=25

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 am

Wow, somehow we always manage to attract the haters. It's like someone peeks at our thread, sees how happy we are, and feels like they have to come and create some sort of drama. Are we on TV or something?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 am

I wish the SIR deadline were not coming up so soon. More time to make a decision would be ideal.

ETA: Can you state your SIR but deposit somewhere else later? Not saying I want to do this necessarily, but I'm just wondering if it's allowed.

RoseMVP

New

Post by RoseMVP » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:58 am

Can anyone who is committed to UCI PM me and tell me what sold them? It's on the short list of schools I'm still considering, but something about its novelty is giving me pause.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 am

eta: please excuse any spelling/grammar as well as format; i typed the on my phone.
RoseMVP wrote:Can anyone who is committed to UCI PM me and tell me what sold them? It's on the short list of schools I'm still considering, but something about its novelty is giving me pause.
RoseMVP wrote:Can anyone who is committed to UCI PM me and tell me what sold them? It's on the short list of schools I'm still considering, but something about its novelty is giving me pause.
I will tell you here so others can read as well. first and foremost was the exceptional family/friendly vibes of the student body. they all genuinely seemed to be happy with their choice to go there. they were happy while eating with us, drinking with us, chatting with us, and when they were in class. the stressful vibes that i have always assumed would be present at a law school were just not to be found at all. another reason is because of the absolute sincerity of dean chemerinsky. when he forcefully stated that the school would place in the ten to twenty zone three was no hint of doubt or misleading. this will happen. i only wish i could know all the haters in 2015 to see them finally shut their mouths. next thing is the job placement; when 3Ls told me they didn't know where they will be working, it is not because they can't find a job. its because they have a few offers to choose from. next thing is the support from the general and legal community in orange county. they all seem to be very invested in the school. to the point that lawyers were advising me to choose uci Over their own prestigious law schools. lastly (although this list is by no means exhaustive) we had the opportunity to watch their moot court championship and i have never seen two people speak so well and be so quick with answers to questions and just generally presenting amazing oral argument. i word as a judicial intern and can say i have not seen a single lawyer step into our department that argued as well as those 2L students. but don't take my word for it; consider the opinions of the two tenth circuit and one ninth circuit court of appeals judges who stated that these students argued their cases better than the lawyers who they often see in the appeals courts. they lauded the school, staff, and dean for the standard of excellence that is being demonstrated at uci. so there are plenty of things that sold me and probably many more things that others can say. i just know everything about that school is for me. good luck with your decision.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 am

lrslayer wrote:eta: please excuse any spelling/grammar as well as format; i typed the on my phone.
I will tell you here so others can read as well. first and foremost was the exceptional family/friendly vibes of the student body. they all genuinely seemed to be happy with their choice to go there. they were happy while eating with us, drinking with us, chatting with us, and when they were in class. the stressful vibes that i have always assumed would be present at a law school were just not to be found at all. another reason is because of the absolute sincerity of dean chemerinsky. when he forcefully stated that the school would place in the ten to twenty zone three was no hint of doubt or misleading. this will happen. i only wish i could know all the haters in 2015 to see them finally shut their mouths. next thing is the job placement; when 3Ls told me they didn't know where they will be working, it is not because they can't find a job. its because they have a few offers to choose from. next thing is the support from the general and legal community in orange county. they all seem to be very invested in the school. to the point that lawyers were advising me to choose uci Over their own prestigious law schools. lastly (although this list is by no means exhaustive) we had the opportunity to watch their moot court championship and i have never seen two people speak so well and be so quick with answers to questions and just generally presenting amazing oral argument. i word as a judicial intern and can say i have not seen a single lawyer step into our department that argued as well as those 2L students. but don't take my word for it; consider the opinions of the two tenth circuit and one ninth circuit court of appeals judges who stated that these students argued their cases better than the lawyers who they often see in the appeals courts. they lauded the school, staff, and dean for the standard of excellence that is being demonstrated at uci. so there are plenty of things that sold me and probably many more things that others can say. i just know everything about that school is for me. good luck with your decision.
Well said!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 am

lrslayer wrote:eta: please excuse any spelling/grammar as well as format; i typed the on my phone.
Well said indeed. I just can't say enough how easily approachable the faculty and students were. The faculty showed so much excitement to be working closely with the students.

And the chairs....don't forget about the comfortable chairs.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:37 pm

As an FYI our con law class had 80+ students in one class when it was just Dean C. They may have needed a prof. to teach something else in the spring and two section of 55 is not bad either.

DeusExCyber

New

Post by DeusExCyber » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 pm

OUTDATED INFO
Last edited by DeusExCyber on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Last edited by UnderrateOverachieve on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”