UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jck4487

Bronze

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by jck4487 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 am

bingbang1025 wrote:
Sorry to leave everyone hanging. In short, they killed it at their ASW and the wording I heard is that it's "likely" they won't be dipping into the waitlist. Sorry guys :(

Again, with apps down who knows how things shake out. you're always going to hear a conservative answer from admissions people anyway.
+1

Knowing Dean Austin, Estuardo and Michelle, they'll give you the answer that will accurately manage your expectations. I wouldn't give up hope yet. Since the school is very knew, the admissions staff doesn't have the benefit of years of experience in determining how many people are likely to follow through on their SIRSs. Each school has different patterns, and Dean Austin has mentioned that each year has been different from the one before it here so far. I asked Estuardo what they look for in choosing from the waitlist in previous years, and he made it pretty obvious that the right candidates make themselves known through their persistent continued interest. I got the feeling they knew before there was even space who they'd pick if they got the chance, so everyone has a chance to make themselves known. Good luck! (I wrote this on my phone, sorry if there's mistakes.)

pno12006

New

Post by pno12006 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:21 am

Irvine is in the unique position of not having a class size quota.

They obviously have a goal in mind, but I doubt this is a 1 out, 1 in scenario.

I know that there were a lot of apps this year and that the number of SIRs was rather surprising.

So, if they have space, I would assume they will look to the waitlist only if it can maintain/increase their medians for the class.

FWIW, as long as other schools are still accepting people from initial apps and waitlists there will be trickle down.

Perhaps the seat quotas and decreased apps at the top schools will create some movement across the board.

GL to all WListers

Indebted

New

Post by Indebted » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Just got the waitlist letter via snail mail. Withdrawing.

azbycxdd

New

Post by azbycxdd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Has anyone else not heard back yet regarding fafsa grants/loans?

vahem

New

Post by vahem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 pm

azbycxdd wrote:Has anyone else not heard back yet regarding fafsa grants/loans?
I haven't. I called the financial aid office and it's because I haven't submitted all necessary documents (parents' tax information) and will not receive info until I do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Just talked to admissions. The woman told me they are going to review the waitlist. Not sure what exactly is going on, considering others stated that admissions most likely won't be reviewing it.

I almost wish I hadn't called. I think it was better to have crushed expectations than a little bit of hope.

dn915

New

Post by dn915 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 pm

I spoke to admissions today as well melanne89, got the same response.
I was also told that LOCI's are better sent sooner than later.
I hate false hope, but hopefullly all turns out well no matter where we attend =] good luck to you

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 pm

dn915 wrote:I spoke to admissions today as well melanne89, got the same response.
I hate false hope, but hopefullly all turns out well no matter where we attend =] good luck to you

Good luck to you too! Already sent my LOCI, so it's out of my hands. I appreciate the positive vibes, definitely needed them!

dn915

New

Post by dn915 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

melanne89 wrote:
dn915 wrote:I spoke to admissions today as well melanne89, got the same response.

Good luck to you too! Already sent my LOCI, so it's out of my hands. I appreciate the positive vibes, definitely needed them!

Of course :) do you mind letting me know if you emailed or mailed your loci?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 pm

dn915 wrote:
melanne89 wrote:

I mailed it, with delivery confirmation. I don't know exactly where I read it (somewhere on TLS, I know that,) but it suggested mailing it over emailing. I honestly don't remember the reasons for it, but they had to have been convincing considering I chose to do it that way.

dn915

New

Post by dn915 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:39 pm

melanne89 wrote:
dn915 wrote:
melanne89 wrote:

I mailed it, with delivery confirmation. I don't know exactly where I read it (somewhere on TLS, I know that,) but it suggested mailing it over emailing. I honestly don't remember the reasons for it, but they had to have been convincing considering I chose to do it that way.

Thanks! Will take note :)

Indebted

New

Post by Indebted » Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 am

Got this email two days ago:
I hope this finds you well. As you know in mid-April you were placed on our waitlist and now, I writing to let you know we’re considering a small number of candidates at this time. Have you finalized your plans for law school this fall or do you remain interested in UC Irvine?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Dean Janice Austin
I am no longer interested, but for those who are there is hope!

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Post by onedavetoomany » Thu May 17, 2012 11:12 am

Indebted wrote:Got this email two days ago:
I hope this finds you well. As you know in mid-April you were placed on our waitlist and now, I writing to let you know we’re considering a small number of candidates at this time. Have you finalized your plans for law school this fall or do you remain interested in UC Irvine?
Sincerely,
Dean Janice Austin
Damn, I didn't get this e-mail. Did anyone else?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:58 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
Sincerely,
Dean Janice Austin
Nope :(

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Post by onedavetoomany » Thu May 17, 2012 4:56 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:
Sincerely,
Dean Janice Austin
Nope :(
Maybe it was only sent to those who hadn't submitted a LOCI. The beginning is similar to the e-mail I received last week.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sat May 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Anyone know what the tuition is looking like next fall? I deferred or a year so I won't go until fall of 2013 but I wanna keep a eye out for tuition increases.

ionoiforgot

New

Post by ionoiforgot » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 am

tooswolle wrote:Anyone know what the tuition is looking like next fall? I deferred or a year so I won't go until fall of 2013 but I wanna keep a eye out for tuition increases.
It seems like every increase is like 6-8% or so. Between now and then, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Regents spike that sucker a couple times. It's set to increase when this year starts already, no?

Sorry I don't know specifics.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 am

ionoiforgot wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Anyone know what the tuition is looking like next fall? I deferred or a year so I won't go until fall of 2013 but I wanna keep a eye out for tuition increases.
It seems like every increase is like 6-8% or so. Between now and then, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Regents spike that sucker a couple times. It's set to increase when this year starts already, no?

Sorry I don't know specifics.
Thanks for the input I really don't like how the price of tuition doesn't remain constant. I wish the schools offered something akin to the Illinois Guarantee (pretty much your tuition won't raise while you're there) I hope the prices stabilize since 50k in tuition an the cost of living is ridiculous.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:
DeusExCyber wrote:What have I wrought!!! I didn't mean to open Pandora's box with the waitlist stuff!!!
You ruined everything!!! Just kidding. It's good to bring up all the information we got. This way we can clear up stuff. Or get a bit more confused :)
DeusExCyber wrote: 2. For UCI Law to succeed, UCI Law needs YOU to succeed!!! They will try everything in their power to make you successful. At other top tier law schools, the law school does not need you to succeed to stay top tier... (I have more to this but not enough time to type it all)
^ THIS! If you ever needed to know why UCI was my number one all the way...
Scary at sticker price, but this is EXACTLY why it's my top choice, too.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:23 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
DeusExCyber wrote:What have I wrought!!! I didn't mean to open Pandora's box with the waitlist stuff!!!
You ruined everything!!! Just kidding. It's good to bring up all the information we got. This way we can clear up stuff. Or get a bit more confused :)
DeusExCyber wrote: 2. For UCI Law to succeed, UCI Law needs YOU to succeed!!! They will try everything in their power to make you successful. At other top tier law schools, the law school does not need you to succeed to stay top tier... (I have more to this but not enough time to type it all)

Did you end up deciding on UCI? I really like the school and have a good scholarship and savings for next year but I'm really afraid of the debt. What did it for you?

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm

tooswolle wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:

Did you end up deciding on UCI? I really like the school and have a good scholarship and savings for next year but I'm really afraid of the debt. What did it for you?
I am so close to withdrawing myself from the other 2 schools I'm holding deposits at ! I am very optimistic/hopeful about UCI. I am trying hard to give the other two schools credit and envision myself attending one of those other schools (with a lot less debt), but I can't. I believe I will be most happy at UCI. Frankly, I'm pretty much sold. I've spoken to people in our incoming class, they are absolutely brilliant! I think it's a very good group. I am very much convinced that the school wants us to succeed and with only 110 people in the incoming class, law school will surely be a very different experience then attending a more established school with more students. Also, I absolutely love the curriculum, especially all the good stuff they have planned for us during the 1L year. Specifically, being able to do client intake beginning the 2nd semester. We have to do mandatory client intake either at the Public Defendor's or a non-profit (don't remember the name). I can go and on....

How much debt are you looking at? You say you have a a pretty good scholarship and savings. Lucky you! I'm still waiting for Dean Austin to let me know if any aid is forthcoming. =/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”